It's official: Wand is GONE !!!!

Dr Albert Falls

Original Poster
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...cot070507,0,46286.story?coll=orl_tab01_layout

Mickey arm, wand coming down from Spaceship sphere
Scott Powers

Sentinel Staff Writer

11:13 AM EDT, July 5, 2007

The 257-foot-tall Mickey Mouse arm, glove and wand logo structure at Epcot is coming down.

Epcot Vice President Jim MacPhee announced this morning that the time has come to remove the structure, which has served both as a colorful, lighted Epcot sign since 2000, and as a lightning rod for criticism from Epcot purists who contended the image was out of character for Epcot's architecture.

The structure leans on Epcot's previous and future iconic figure, the Spaceship Earth Pavilion, a180-foot geodesic sphere that can be seen for miles.

The arm and glove went up for Walt Disney World's 2000 millennium celebration.

Now, however, with but with Epcot's 25th anniversary this fall, and the temporary closing of Spaceship Earth ride, MacPhee said, "We think the timing of the removal is right."

Deconstruction of the 50-ton structure begins Monday, and will be completed shortly before the park's 25th anniversary, October 1. Also coming down are the 36-foot-high "Epcot" letters and colored stars splashing across the sphere.

Also Monday, the Spaceship Earth ride will close to complete a refurbishing sponsored by Siemans AG. The work should be done by November, MacPhee said

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

One more big dream coming true!!!!

Boray

It's about time. Epcot purists of the world, unite!!!! (or at least those of us who like the sphere a little less gaudy!!!!!)

:sohappy:

brkgnews

W00t! w00t! A billion times w00t!

I know we already had the inside info on this, but it feels great to see it in the mainstream. Jim MacPhee just won some happy points.

Figment82

Oh my goodness!! This is perhaps the greatest news I have heard in quite some time. I thought nothing could top the great events that I've witnessed in the past two days here at the parks, but this just did. I am definitely going to be taking "time lapse" shots for the demise of the wand. And I will happily dance around and cheer while doing so. :D

jeffb

Wow - that is fantastic news! What a present for the 25th - can not wait to see it in person on Oct 1st.!!!!!!!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

brkgnews

By the way -- this is actually the top story on the Sentinel website at the moment. Didn't realize it'd be that big of a deal outside the mouse universe.

EDIT: Jim, if you're reading this, please join us October 1st at 10AM at the EPCOT logo on the ground near Fountain of Nations so we can all personally thank you. :D

prspeppers

There is a God!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to go back next year and see SSE in all its wandless glory.

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Quick someone go check on Merf! He is probably having a heart attack out of sheer joy right now!:lol:

Glad to see this thing go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom