Late FP Returns Tightening Up?

Epcotian

Original Poster
Long-time reader, first time poster. We're heading to WDW in two weeks. I just noticed a post on the UG's official website by Len Testa saying that it appears they are cracking down on FP's that are past their return window. He even said they were revising their touring plans to reflect this change. I've been making a rough itinerary, but I know a couple of my plans have me returning to use my FP well after the return window is over. Does anyone know if new guidance is coming out to the CM's on this? Do I need to revise my touring plans? In a CM's eyes, is it considered cheating the system to plan on presenting a late FP? I really like my current touring plans as they are, but would rather change them than be doing something that Disney would frown upon (or reject). Thanks!

EpcotMark

I know at Soarin they were cracking down on the dates. I always used to collect fastpasses and use them on a later date, but now they are checking the date more carefully. Kinda Bogus. Not like I am copying fake fastpasses. I still make the effort to use the machines and use it at a later time.

hack2112

Long-time reader, first time poster. We're heading to WDW in two weeks. I just noticed a post on the UG's official website by Len Testa saying that it appears they are cracking down on FP's that are past their return window. He even said they were revising their touring plans to reflect this change. I've been making a rough itinerary, but I know a couple of my plans have me returning to use my FP well after the return window is over. Does anyone know if new guidance is coming out to the CM's on this? Do I need to revise my touring plans? In a CM's eyes, is it considered cheating the system to plan on presenting a late FP? I really like my current touring plans as they are, but would rather change them than be doing something that Disney would frown upon (or reject). Thanks!
1st of all, welcome!!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: Second of all, I always thought they were loosely told to follow guidelines, but they didn't because they didn't want the angry guests. I wouldn't think they would change, IMO a working system. Once again, welcome!!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Edit: I think using FP on a different date is bad!!! Using it on a later time however, is OK by me unless you back up the line like people do for the FP line on TT.

Epcotian

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies so far. My original plans were to use them same day or give them to another family before leaving the park. If it's a practice that is frowned upon though, I'll revise my plans.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am not a CM but from my own experience Soarin is really the only attraction where the CM's are cracking down on expired Fast passes. All the other attractions appear to be business as usual.

Dayma

This takes way to much thinking....For us if it says be there on a certain time, we shop up at that time :)

Trishnh

This takes way to much thinking....For us if it says be there on a certain time, we shop up at that time :)

me, too..Doesnt it kind of defeat the whole purpose if you are not even planning on returning at said time??:shrug: Maybe it's just me:wave:

DisneyMusician2

They seem to be getting a little more strict...we'll see if these new family FP's they are testing help with the old FP problem. I don't know if they can scan them, or at least put a limit on the return window for being late. As far as I'm concerned, if it says until 11:30, don't get there at 12:30 and be angry.

kennygman

Here's the quote from touringplans.com
"We're seeing more enforcement of FASTPASS return times
Over the past few years Disney had become fairly lax in enforcing the return times shown on FASTPASS tickets. If your FASTPASS return window was, for example, between 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm, the vast majority of Castmembers would accept that FASTPASS any time after 1 pm until the park closed.

That seems to be changing. In tests over the past week at both Epcot and the Magic Kingdom, we were denied use of FASTPASSes that were no more than 3 hours old.

We make limited use of expired FASTPASSes in a handful of touring plans, and we'll be updating those plans to a better FASTPASS use strategy in the very near future. In the meantime, readers should assume that Disney will not honor expired FASTPASSes."
Len
http://www.touringplans.com/tp2/UG2_index.php?PageID=44

WDWRLD

Ive tossed many a fastpass because it was just minutes old, I never tried to use a expired one. Now that I know this next trip I will give it a try.

reptar77

It never stops amazing me how people always try to cheat the system. the fast passes have specific times and dates on them for a reason.

YankeeMouse

We would never use a fastpass from the previous day/visits that had expired. But we have been told by CM's that the fastpass is good any time after the expired TIME, that day. So if the return time is 1:30 to 2:30, we have gone at 6:00 p.m. I was never aware we were doing anything wrong, since the cast members said they were good the entire day! Oops?

Epcotian

Original Poster
It never stops amazing me how people always try to cheat the system. the fast passes have specific times and dates on them for a reason.

Actually this is exactly why I'm posting the question here. I've read elsewhere that it is official Disney policy to accept FP's anytime same day after the return window begins and that CM's are trained this way. Knowing that there are CM's actively posting here, I was hoping to get their input. As I said, if this is frowned upon by Disney, I'm certainly not intending to do it. But if this is indeed official policy, then it's not cheating the system. The system would be built to follow the policy, if you get what I'm saying. But maybe others disagree, and I want to know if that's the case.

I appreciate your response and all the other responses so far! I knew things would pick up here once the workweek began!:ROFLOL:

hallowboy11

I've been constantly using FPs that I've collected over the past four years. I still go at the time on the FP, just a different date. Only been stopped once at RNR coaster.

Also, when I was a CM at KSR, we were told to take any FPs as long as the time they were using it was after the time listed on the FP. But it's been a couple of years since I picked up a shift.

Actually, funny story on a side note, I got engaged last October 21 at WDW. When we were there I found that I had a bunch of FPs from October 21, 2003! It was pretty funny using FPs that were exactly 3 years old and no one saying a word. So, I ended up saving several of the ones from our engagement day which I'm hoping to use on an anniversary trip down the road. Hopefully the format will still be the same! :)

Laura

Premium Member
Actually this is exactly why I'm posting the question here. I've read elsewhere that it is official Disney policy to accept FP's anytime same day after the return window begins and that CM's are trained this way. Knowing that there are CM's actively posting here, I was hoping to get their input. As I said, if this is frowned upon by Disney, I'm certainly not intending to do it. But if this is indeed official policy, then it's not cheating the system. The system would be built to follow the policy, if you get what I'm saying. But maybe others disagree, and I want to know if that's the case.

I appreciate your response and all the other responses so far! I knew things would pick up here once the workweek began!:ROFLOL:

Thanks for posting this thread. I had no idea about this stuff! I've always relied on the lax enforcements to Fastpass to plan my itineraries (per advice in the Unofficial Guide). I may have to make some changes to my plans. UGH.

Chape19714

I have heard something like 90-95% of people use thier fastpass within the first 10 minutes of the window. If that is true, this change won't effect too many people.

Just as a note, if a ride breaks down fastpasses will still be accepted at a later time, as per fastpass policy.

Vernonpush

A few years ago, we had Fastpasses for Pooh. We returned during the alotted time and walked up to the Fastpass CM and found the ride out of service. The CM stated that we could come back anytime later that day and use our Fastpasses. I think that it would be hard for Disney to enforce this rule. What if your lunch at a Sit Down Restaurant takes longer than you thought? Would you be denied your FP because your server took too long? What if you got stuck on a ride that you stood in standby for to pass the time until your "return time" and then once on that ride, it broke down and had to be evacuated by the CMs and you did not make it back to the original ride for return time? Would you be sent walking? I think they couldn't enforce the return times unless they had a longer return time window. Fastpass was meant to get people out of line and doing other things (not standing at the FP Return Entrance waiting for their time, and not letting others with current FPs in {but that's another pet peeve for some other time}).

jiddng

We would never use a fastpass from the previous day/visits that had expired. But we have been told by CM's that the fastpass is good any time after the expired TIME, that day. So if the return time is 1:30 to 2:30, we have gone at 6:00 p.m. I was never aware we were doing anything wrong, since the cast members said they were good the entire day! Oops?

That has been my experience, as well. There were times when I got a FP, realized it was during the time when I already had a dinner reservation. The CM told me I could come back after dinner (which is after the FP window) and the FP would be accepted.

I think it should be considered expired after the day of issue, but not after the time of issue on the same day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom