Possible WDW airport ?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Original Poster
I came across this article about the possibility of WDW building a real (not a STOLPORT) airport on property.

The article is from 1999 ...but... I found it pretty interesting and was wondering if anybody has heard anything else about this ?

http://www.danielgunter.com/airport.htm

THE HAPPIEST AIRPORT ON EARTH -- What's the Mouse's Next Move ?

With Universal's Islands of Adventure officially opening to the public this Friday, entertainment industry analysts have actively speculating at what Disney's going to do in response. Given the great press coverage their rival's new theme park has gotten (Reports have called IOA the "most technological advanced theme park in the country" and "the greatest theme park in all of Central Florida"), it's assumed that Disney's got to do *SOMETHING* to put its Florida resort back on the map.

So what's Disney's gonna do? Build a fifth Florida theme park, loaded with thrill rides that will top anything that "Islands" has got? Nope. Disney's got trouble enough right now dealing with the hit Epcot and Disney-MGM attendance took when Animal Kingdom opened last year. Contrary to what Disney had hoped would happen (That -- by adding a fourth park to their Florida property -- guests would be forced to tack an additional day onto their WDW vacation, so that they wouldn't miss a single bit of Disney Magic), the Mouse learned the hard way that there seem to be real limits as to how much time and money people are willing to spend on their WDW vacation. Rather than extending their stay to see everything, guests opted instead to pick and choose which Disney parks they'd go to Visiting Disney's Animal Kingdom INSTEAD of Epcot or Disney-MGM. Unconfirmed reports suggest that -- from the day Animal kingdom opened -- Epcot's attendance levels plunged as much as 20%, Disney-MGM 17%, and even the Magic Kingdom had 10% fewer guests.

So no fifth Disney theme park. Not for a long while yet. Not till Disney gets attendance levels back up at its older Florida theme parks. That's why the Mouse is on a building binge right now -- adding new rides and/or revamping tired old shows at the Magic Kingdom, Disney-MGM and Epcot. Disney's spending all of this dough -- rumored to be as much as $150 million per park -- just so guests won't bypass the pre-existing WDW theme parks in their rush to see Animal Kingdom.

But that's just what Disney is doing to prevent cannibalization of attendance among its own theme parks. What's the Mouse going to do now that it has some real competition in Central Florida -- Universal's Islands of Adventure opening this week and Sea World's ultra exclusive Discovery Cove opening in Spring 2000? How do you do to keep your guests on your property -- eating, shopping and spending at *YOUR* theme parks -- when the competition down the street has gotten too good to resist?

Simple. You take away their wheels. Guests can't drive off property to visit Universal or Sea World if they don't have rental cars.

But how do you take away guests rental cars? Simple again. Guests don't need rental cars if they're flying directly to Disney property.

That's right. A DISNEY AIRPORT!

In a move sure to have an impact on all of Central Florida, Disney is seriously considering building a international airport right on Disney property. Reportedly to be located in the northwestern portion of Disney's Orange County land holdings, this facility would be the linch pin of a whole new Disney vacation experience.

Picture this....You book a trip to Walt Disney World through Disney Travel. They arrange for you to fly in to Disney property. Once you arrive, you collect your bags and head straight to several dozen WDW Guest Services windows -- located right there in the Disney airport terminal. You show your Disney Travel confirmation paperwork to the attendant. They take your bags, tag them and have them sent to the appropriate WDW hotel. The attendant then issues you your theme park pass, then points you toward the shuttle that will take you wherever you want to go on property. Less than an hour after you've landed, you're standing on Main Street U.S.A. Best of all, when you get back to your hotel that night, your theme park admission ticket doubles as your room key card. Open the door and your bags will already be there inside your room -- waiting for you to unpack.

Just imagine. A hassle-free beginning to your Disney World vacation.

Plus -- on your last day at WDW vacation -- you don't have to leave the resort hours in advance of your flight to return that rental car or check in your bags. You just give your bags to the bellman as you're checking out of your WDW hotel. He tags them appropriately, making sure they're sent to the right flight at the airport. You get to play, shop and eat at Disney right up until an hour before your flight is scheduled. Then you grab the complimentary airport shuttle located right outside the entrance of your theme park, take a five minute ride to the airport, then stroll to your gate. What better way to end your WDW vacation?

Sound like a dream? Well, some former Disney Development executives --now WDI VPs -- are quite anxious for this dream to come true. They're doing financial feasibility studies and having quiet conversations with major airline executives -- feeling out who'd be willing to pay what to be the exclusive carrier for WDW's airport.

Just be warned, folks. This is far from being a done deal. But could it really happen? Disney history fans have long known that the Mouse has had the right to build its own airport on its Florida property since back in the 1960s. Language to this effect is included in the Reedy Creek Improvement District agreement. With the exception of a small air strip that the company used to maintain along World Drive near the Ticket and Transportation Center, Disney hasn't much interest in getting into the airport business ..till now.

But is it coincidental that rumors have begun circulating among WDW cast members about a massive expansion in Disney's internal transportation network is currently in the works? Plans have reportedly been seen that show a proposed extension of WDW's monorail network -- a line that would start at Epcot's entrance with an Epcot Resorts stop ( servicing guests at the Dolphin & the Swan as well as the Yacht & Beach Club) , a Disney-MGM stop, a Animal Kingdom Resorts stop (servicing guests staying at the Coronado and/or spending the day at Blizzard Beach) and an Animal Kingdom stop. While an expansion of the pre-existing WDW monorail system will be almost prohibitively expensive (Construction costs could run as high as $1 million per each quarter mile of track), this increase in capacity would be necessary if Disney's planning on have several thousand guests arrive on property each day that don't have cars.

There are even subtler signs the Disney may have an airport in its future. The new on-property maps that Disney Travel sends to resort guests who have booked WDW vacations makes no mention of Universal or Sea World. But it does go out of its way to depict Orlando International Airport as a teeny tiny place somewhere far off on the horizon. Below that image is this description "Orlando Airport -- 20 miles away." That doesn't make the place look or sound terribly convenient to WDW guests, now does it?

So this is how Disney intends to do battle with "Islands of Adventure." Not with more thrills. But with fewer wheels. Guests won't be able to rent a car at WDW's proposed airport. Disney will say that's because its own internal transportation network can get them where they want to go faster and/or fewer cars on WDW property is better for the environment. Given that a taxi ride to Universal or Sea World will be difficult to set up and pricey, some guests may grumble but -- since they're on vacation -- most will opt to just stay on property.

It's an ingenuous plan. Provided Disney has the balls to do it.

Why would Disney hesitate? Orange and Osceola County officials are sure to be furious when they hear that a WDW airport is in the works. (Not that they can do anything to stop it. The Florida legislature gave Disney the right to build its own airport if it wants. If Disney exercises that option, local officials really have no recourse.) They've just recently greenlighted a rail line that will run up the middle of I-4, linking downtown Orlando to the International Drive / Universal Resort area and Sea World. Their dream was to someday somehow have this line extend to Disney World, so that all of Central Florida's tourist attractions could be linked. It'll kill these guys to find out that Disney's looking into ways to close its borders.

But this is how Disney may finally opt to do battle with Universal & Sea World. Not with faster rides or more elaborate attractions. Just faster ways to get folks to the fun to be found on their property, as well as well quietly cutting off guest access to the other wonders to be found *OUTSIDE* of Walt Disney World.

redfarmer06

It talks about the elimination of rental cars...but why build a new airport on property when you have the Magical Express? Doesn't that eliminate rental cars???

HeritageBoy

Technically possible

Thanks for posting the article - its always great to think of what WDW could do to improve the transit on property.

The original legislation passed in 60's (post WDW announcement) to create the Reedy Creek Improvement District does allow for an airport on WDW property. The idea of the airport was part of the EPCOT (model city) project sold to central Florida by Walt himself - but as mentioned, the STOLport allowed for upper management to travel to/from WDW as needed. However, the allowance for a full WDW airport via RCID does not mention automatic approval by the FAA and other Federal agencies (NTSB, etc).

Given that the theme parks are back up to pre-9/11 levels (profit and attendance), it wouldn’t be outside the realm for transportation plans from 2001 to be revisited. However, I wouldn’t think that the number crunchers could find an ROI for such an outlay of funds.

Scar Junior

Thanks for posting the article - its always great to think of what WDW could do to improve the transit on property.

The original legislation passed in 60's (post WDW announcement) to create the Reedy Creek Improvement District does allow for an airport on WDW property. The idea of the airport was part of the EPCOT (model city) project sold to central Florida by Walt himself - but as mentioned, the STOLport allowed for upper management to travel to/from WDW as needed. However, the allowance for a full WDW airport via RCID does not mention automatic approval by the FAA and other Federal agencies (NTSB, etc).

Given that the theme parks are back up to pre-9/11 levels (profit and attendance), it wouldn’t be outside the realm for transportation plans from 2001 to be revisited. However, I wouldn’t think that the number crunchers could find an ROI for such an outlay of funds.

Very true. But then again, legislation also allowed for a nuclear power plant...

Good find, Unkadug. I've never seen this article before. Thanks for posting it.

Thurp

It sounds like the Magical Express thing (or whatever it is called) is the cheaper alternative they went with, and pretty much just as effective at keeping people on property.

napnet

with emh they have done a lot of the same things... eliminated rental cars and taxies at a fraction of the cost of an airport

ToTBellHop

It sounds like the Magical Express thing (or whatever it is called) is the cheaper alternative they went with, and pretty much just as effective at keeping people on property.
Exactly. No need for an airport with Disney monopolizing Orlando tourism as they have. It could always be an option in the distant future, though. The problem would be getting airlines to fly there--even though Disney does bring in a lot of people, this would still necessarily be a smaller airport, and I'm not sure as many airlines would fly there and at the same fares as they do to MCO.

KeithVH

I notice there is no mention of the fact that Disney exists as an entity to make money for it's shareholders. While not knowing the exact business model, I would question whether this is a sound plan from which Disney could qualify a decent ROI.

I mean, it is interesting speculation but . . . When I think about it, the story basically takes a few disparate facts and links them together to make a very plausible argument. Sorta like an X-File or the DaVinci Code. But the basis of the rental car removal, the ability who can and can't use the airport and so on makes me put this in the realm of real blue-sky thinking.

I won't even get into the whole monorail extension bit.

LoriMistress

I remember the confirmed rumor that even made it to national news several years ago where Disney were in talks of having Monerail/AmTrack service from California to Florida and Universal and other parks were furious over it.

degunter

I came across this article about the possibility of WDW building a real (not a STOLPORT) airport on property.

The article is from 1999 ...but... I found it pretty interesting and was wondering if anybody has heard anything else about this ?

http://www.danielgunter.com/airport.htm

Unkadug,

I am curious, how did you "come across" this article.

I just wanted to point a few things out about it.

Number one and most important is that I did not write it. I found it back in 1999 and shortly after the website I found it on was deleted, but I happened to have a copy of the article and wanted to keep the "idea" alive.

Two: I think so much has changed in the area since 1999. Not that Disney's own airport is not possible, but the master plans I believe have changed somewhat. The extension of World Drive South to I-4 and Celebration for example goes right through the heart of the land that was designated for the airport. I do not see them adding an airport anywhere else on property due to the vicinity of the resorts and theme parks.

Three: The area around Disney has really changed and been built up since then. I think it would be difficult for Disney to get the final approval and logistics of an airport approved.

In any case, I always liked the idea.... I always like the idea of the Bullet Train that would run from Tampa to Orlando with a stop at Disney... I could get there in 20 minutes.... but it does not look like that will ever happen now either....

Thanks for checking out my website though.... I would also invite you to view my collection of Disney Related Photos and other Disney information:

http://www.danielgunter.com/pamain/padis.htm

http://www.danielgunter.com/disney.htm

unkadug

Original Poster
Unkadug,

I am curious, how did you "come across" this article.

I just wanted to point a few things out about it.

Number one and most important is that I did not write it. I found it back in 1999 and shortly after the website I found it on was deleted, but I happened to have a copy of the article and wanted to keep the "idea" alive.

Two: I think so much has changed in the area since 1999. Not that Disney's own airport is not possible, but the master plans I believe have changed somewhat. The extension of World Drive South to I-4 and Celebration for example goes right through the heart of the land that was designated for the airport. I do not see them adding an airport anywhere else on property due to the vicinity of the resorts and theme parks.

Three: The area around Disney has really changed and been built up since then. I think it would be difficult for Disney to get the final approval and logistics of an airport approved.

In any case, I always liked the idea.... I always like the idea of the Bullet Train that would run from Tampa to Orlando with a stop at Disney... I could get there in 20 minutes.... but it does not look like that will ever happen now either....

Thanks for checking out my website though.... I would also invite you to view my collection of Disney Related Photos and other Disney information:

http://www.danielgunter.com/pamain/padis.htm

http://www.danielgunter.com/disney.htm

Wow, I didn't realize that you were a member of these forums, I should've guessed though ! :lol:

Actually I was researching something completely different. I was doing a Google search and I have a bad habit of going off on tangents. One of the links that popped up has your page on the arport.

CBOMB

A very interesting article, thanks for posting it unkadug. I think WDW already has addressed the issues that seemed to be a concern in 1999. Magical Express does almost the same thing as a new airport would do, without the great expense. With Magic Your Way options, more days in the parks for very little money, and the Disney Dining Experience it definitely encourages guest to spend more time at Disney Parks. IOA might have been perceived as a threat to attendance back in 1999, but not nearly as much now. I certainly hope the powers that be understand to remain on top of the industry they need to improve what they already have for the time being. I just wish WDW's competition would come up with some unique ideas to give the Disney corp. something to really be concerned about.

Figment1986

I always like the idea of the Bullet Train that would run from Tampa to Orlando with a stop at Disney... I could get there in 20 minutes.... but it does not look like that will ever happen now either....

its because it wouldnt have enough stops for the members of the public to get on and off... stop at TPA, lakeland then disney and finally MCO was what disney wanted according to many papers in tampa...

proposed was tpa, plant city, lake land, winter haven, disney, Orlando convention center, mco.. if that was approved.. then built, it would have been brilliant. (with universal and sea world having shuttles from the convention center.. since they are within 5 miles of it)

nice article, just no doable really... magic express and limos are good enough today.

WDW Monorail

Although interesting, this would cause competition with MCO. Besides that, this would not go well with the FAA and other Florida officials.

unkadug

Original Poster
Although interesting, this would cause competition with MCO. Besides that, this would not go well with the FAA and other Florida officials.

If they were going to do it, I don't think that they would care how it sat with the Florida officials!

I doubt that the FAA would care either, as long as it was built to spec.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom