Despite controversy, Disney could unlock 'Song of the South'

speck76

Original Poster
Despite controversy, Disney could unlock 'Song of the South'

Travis Reed | The Associated Press
Posted March 24, 2007

Walt Disney Co.'s 1946 film "Song of the South" was historic. It was Disney's first big live-action picture and produced one of the company's most famous songs -- the Oscar-winning "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah." It also carries the story line of the Splash Mountain rides at its theme parks.

But the movie remains hidden in the Disney archives -- never released on video in the United States and criticized as racist for its depiction of Southern plantation blacks. The film's 60th anniversary passed last year without a whisper of official rerelease, which is unusual for Disney, but President and CEO Bob Iger recently said the company was reconsidering.

The film's reissue would surely spark debate, but it could also sell big. Nearly 115,000 people have signed an online petition urging Disney to make the movie available, and out-of-print international copies routinely sell online for $50-$90, some even more than $100.

Iger was answering a shareholder's inquiry about the movie for the second year in a row at Disney's annual meeting in New Orleans. This month the Disney chief made a rerelease sound more possible.

"The question of 'Song of the South' comes up periodically, in fact it was raised at last year's annual meeting ..." Iger said. "And since that time, we've decided to take a look at it again because we've had numerous requests about bringing it out. Our concern was that a film that was made so many decades ago being brought out today perhaps could be either misinterpreted or that it would be somewhat challenging in terms of providing the appropriate context."

"Song of the South" was re-shown in theaters in 1956, 1972 and 1986. Both animated and live-action, it tells the story of a young white boy, Johnny, who goes to live on his grandparents' Georgia plantation when his parents split up. Johnny is charmed by Uncle Remus -- a popular black servant -- and his fables of Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear and Brer Fox, which are actual black folk tales.

Remus' stories include the famous "tar baby," a phrase Republican presidential hopefuls John McCain and Mitt Romney were recently criticized for using to describe difficult situations. In "Song of the South," it was a trick Brer Fox and Brer Bear used to catch the rabbit -- dressing a lump of hot tar as a person to ensnare their prey. To some, it is now a derogatory term for blacks, regardless of context.

The movie doesn't reveal whether it takes place before or after the Civil War, and never refers to blacks on the plantation as slaves. It makes clear they work for the family, living down dirt roads in wood shacks while the white characters stay in a mansion. Remus and other black characters' dialogue is full of "ain't nevers," "ain't nobodys," "you tells," and "dem days's."

"In today's environment, 'Song of the South' probably doesn't have a lot of meaning, especially to the younger audiences," said James Pappas, associate professor of African-American Studies at the University of New York at Buffalo. "Older audiences probably would have more of a connection with the stereotypes, which were considered harmless at the time."

Pappas said it's not clear that the movie is intentionally racist, but it inappropriately projects Remus as a happy, laughing storyteller even though he's a plantation worker.

"Gone with the Wind," produced seven years earlier, endured the same criticism and even shares a common actress (Hattie McDaniel, who won an Oscar for "Gone" for playing the house slave "Mammy").

However, Pappas said he thinks the movie should be rereleased because of its historical significance. He said it should be prefaced, and closed, with present-day statements.

"I think it's important that these images are shown today so that especially young people can understand this historical context for some of the blatant stereotyping that's done today," Pappas said.

From a financial standpoint, Iger acknowledged last year that Disney stood to gain from rereleasing "Song." The company's movies are popular with collectors, and Disney has kept sales strong by tightly controlling when they're available.

Christian Willis, a 26-year-old IT administrator in San Juan Capistrano, Calif., started a "Song" fan site in 1999 to showcase memorabilia. He soon expanded it into a clearinghouse for information on the movie that now averages more than 800 hits a day and manages the online petition.

Willis said he doesn't think the movie is racist, just from a different time.

"Stereotypes did exist on the screen," he said. "But if you look at other films of that time period, I think 'Song of the South' was really quite tame in that regard. I think Disney did make an effort to show African Americans in a more positive light."

Though Willis is hopeful, there's still no telling when -- or if -- the movie could come out (beyond its copyright lapsing decades from now).

For this story, Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Disney's distribution arm, issued a statement: "Song of the South is one of a handful of titles that has not seen a home distribution window. To this point, we have not discounted nor committed to any distribution window concerning this title."

If they decide to ever release this, it will come with extreme stiff opposition. I don't how many people have heard this, but it Cincinatti, their pops orchestra (I have no idea what they are really called - I'm from Pittsburgh and heard this on the radio) was to do a Dukes of Hazzard show with both Wopat and Schneider from the TV show. A sticking and ending point was that their was to be a confederate flag hung on the stage (you know, the trademark General Lee rooftop). They received such stiff competition from organizations that the symphony pulled out partially due to the demeaning aspects of that flag.

I don't know the complete story to this, because I didn't follow it that closely, but it happened with the past couple weeks and kinda shows you how closed minded a lot of the country still is.

Here are two articles about the Dukes/Cincy thing....

http://community.tvguide.com/thread.jspa?threadID=800011132
http://fe19.news.re3.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20070319/en_music_eo/ed585d123cba_47c7_ac75_c249b5659733

Disnut

At least there is some hope in it being released now. :sohappy: I did see the movie when I was young and loved every minute of it.

Erika

I remember seeing it in the 1986 release in the theatres. I would love to see it be released on DVD.

I also saw it in '86. I remember having a book & record read-along, too.

To be honest, as a kid, I didn't pay much attention to the live action parts other than wondering how that nice man was lucky enough to get so close to the blue bird :shrug: :lol:

popsicletrees

I have a copy of "Song of the South" that my mom ordered from Europe. I watched it as recently as a year ago. I really don't see the problem in releasing the movie. Just two weeks in one of my classes my professor showed us parts of "Birth of a Nation" (it was entirely relevant to what we are studying), and if the public still has access to that movie, then I don't understand why there would be such controversy surrounding the release of "Song of the South".

MouseMadness

I also saw it in '86. I remember having a book & record read-along, too.

To be honest, as a kid, I didn't pay much attention to the live action parts other than wondering how that nice man was lucky enough to get so close to the blue bird :shrug: :lol:

:ROFLOL: Same here!

I don't remember enough of it to remember why everybody is offended by it. :shrug:

tigsmom

I have a copy of "Song of the South" that my mom ordered from Europe. I watched it as recently as a year ago. I really don't see the problem in releasing the movie. Just two weeks in one of my classes my professor showed us parts of "Birth of a Nation" (it was entirely relevant to what we are studying), and if the public still has access to that movie, then I don't understand why there would be such controversy surrounding the release of "Song of the South".

I understand what you are saying. All of these things happened in a different time, when behavior like this was accepted/expected. We cannot go back and change the past, just move on to the future. By releasing these movies the younger generations can see and learn from the past.

Beside that, from the parts I've seen, its a decent movie. :lol:

I just saw it for the first time two weeks ago...the last time I had seen it I was very young and I can say...unless it's the animated parts, I will never watch this movie again. I found the live-action parts to be completely boring. My 5 year old niece, who also wanted to watch it was bouncing off the couch because she didn't like it...she asked why i put this "dumb" (her words) movie in?

The animation is brilliant, the rest I would call....so-so.

sbkline

I saw this movie the other night and all I can do is sit here and scratch my head wondering what all this darn fuss is about. There was not a thing wrong with this movie. Racism my bee-hind.

Having a movie set in the old south where blacks were still second class (even if slavery was already officially abolished at that point) is about as racist as making a movie set in WWII era Germany where Jews and other minorities are being massacred. It's simply part of painting an accurate portrayal of the time your movie is being set in. And I really didn't see all this "subservience" that people keep whining about regarding Uncle Remus. IMO, Remus seemed to be a very highly respected man in this movie and seemingly was able to "get away" with things that others might not have gotten away with BECAUSE he was the esteemed Uncle Remus. The only "subservience" I saw was him respecting the authority of the mother and grandmother, as the boy's guardians. If they told him not to do something where the boy was concerned, he said "yes 'm" and honored their wishes. That has nothing to do with him being black. It has to do with him having to honor the wishes of the guardians of the child he is spending time with.

The way he and the other blacks talked was also characteristic and a historically accurate portayal of how blacks of that time would have spoken.

BrerMichael

I honestly think the fuss over the film is simply because it's a "Disney" production and people love to find reasons to point fingers at something that could be at fault with such a "family-friendly company." If the film was a Paramount or MGM production, no one would give it a second thought. Unfortunately, people love to look for things that aren't there, and Disney's name and reputation alone gives them ammunition to look for it.

As I wrote in another thread, they could easily add material to the DVD delving into the cultural differences of that time period and today getting different historians, professors, cultural leaders, etc. At the same time, they can go into some of the technological techniques of meshing the animation with the live action, what the actors did outside of "South", the production of the film, its legacy, a feature on Splash Mountain, etc. There's a mine of history there just waiting to be picked and sold. I hope they do it. I own a DVD of the film that someone gave to me as a gift and I'd have no problem showing it to my children...if I had children that is!

Michael

sbkline

As I wrote in another thread, they could easily add material to the DVD delving into the cultural differences of that time period and today getting different historians, professors, cultural leaders, etc.

Myself, I think it's pretty pathetic that we live in such a whimpish, overly sensitive politically correct culture that we even have to do that just to show a film that there's nothing wrong with in the first place. But I guess if that's what they have to do to release it, I'd rather have that than have them not release it at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom