River Country

wdwforus

Original Poster
I was thinking, with all the success of POTC movies why not take the old River Country facility and make it into a full blown Pirates experience. I am not talking about a water park but like a mini park with POTC themed rides for middle school aged and younger children. It would be a park where parents could take their little ones to run to their hearts content. Take all the ideas behind the Boneyard, Poohs Thoughtful Place, Indy Speedway and Buzz and wrap it all around the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman. We did the Pirates Fireworks voyage and had a blast but the Contemporary is not the ideal place for this. They could make a marina looking like Port Royale or Tortuga and take kids out on Bay Lake on pirate ships with canons that shoot sparks and smoke and sails flapping in the breeze. They could swab the decks, fire the canons, and hoist the mainsail. They could have caves like on Tom Sawyers Island with buried treasure. There could be a fort with sailors and marines and a governor that performs a daily ceremony to enlist all the young ones into hunting for pirates. What da ya think???:sohappy:

maelstrom

Well, it's better than a giant pool area for Fort Wilderness. I'd like to see River Country do something other than sit there and rot.

WDWRLD

With all of the recent sucess of everything related to pirates that is just not large enough to handle the large crowds that would converge on it everyday.

Champion

It would cost more for them to bring River Country up to the standards of a new water park, and using a completely seperate water source from the lake then it would to build a completely new water park.

Maybe it would be in the same area, but they need to just tear down RC.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Too far out of the way for todays guest location wise; one of the reasons RC closed in the first place. It was great in `76 but as the World developed more options appeared that didn`t need you travelling across FW to get to the park.

fizzle75

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is River Country? I have heard it mentioned numerous times on these boards but I still don't know much about it. What is the history behind it? Was it built and abandoned? Was it only partially built and if so why wasn't it finished? I'm sorry but things like this and Beastly Kingdom intrique me and I would love to know why it was or wasn't built. Oh yeah, exactly where is it?

I agree with the OP. My wife and I absolutely love Pirates Of The Carribbean and it makes more sense to devote an actual mini-park to it(or full size for that matter) than to try to shoehorn it into the existing parks. Young boys(and young boys at heart like myself)have always been and probably always will be intrigued by pirates so making an entire park based on them seems like a great idea and a great investment to me.

PurpleDragon

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is River Country? I have heard it mentioned numerous times on these boards but I still don't know much about it. What is the history behind it? Was it built and abandoned? Was it only partially built and if so why wasn't it finished? I'm sorry but things like this and Beastly Kingdom intrique me and I would love to know why it was or wasn't built. Oh yeah, exactly where is it?

I agree with the OP. My wife and I absolutely love Pirates Of The Carribbean and it makes more sense to devote an actual mini-park to it(or full size for that matter) than to try to shoehorn it into the existing parks. Young boys(and young boys at heart like myself)have always been and probably always will be intrigued by pirates so making an entire park based on them seems like a great idea and a great investment to me.

River Country was a water park attached to Fort Wilderness that used water from Bay Lake rather than a private water source. It opened back in 1976 and was closed 2001 due to concerns with water contamination and other various factors.

Taken from Wikipedia:

Rivere Country was a water park located at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida. It opened on June 20, 1976 and last operated in November 2001. On January 20, 2005, The Walt Disney Company announced that River Country would remain closed permanently. Positioned on the shore of Bay Lake near Discovery Island, River Country was part of Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground and matched this area in its rustic wilderness theming, replete with rocks and manmade boulders (created by the same man who created Big Thunder Mountain at the Magic Kingdom). It was described as an "old-fashioned watering hole".
It was much smaller than Disney's other two water parks, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach (the latter was roughly four times the size of River Country). Its entrance fee was correspondingly lower. (Before closing, the price was $15.95 (plus tax) for adults and $12.50 for children from aged 3 to 9, free for children up to age 3. Fort Wilderness Resort guests were given a discount.) It was also far less busy than the other two water parks. The following link is an aerial view of what the park looks like today. [1]
Attractions that the park included:
  • Whoop 'n' Holler Hollow, two water slides, 260 ft (79 m) and 160 ft (49 m) long that emptied into Bay Cove, a half-acre (2,000 m²) sand-bottom lake which itself featured a tire swing, a boom swing, a rope climb, and a T-bar drop.
  • Slippery Slide Falls, two water slides that emptied into Upstream Plunge, a 330,000 US gallon (1,200 m²) clear-water pool.
  • White Water Rapids, a 330 foot (100 m) long inner tube river.
  • Cypress Point Nature Trail, a trail among trees beside Bay Lake.
Several possible reasons for the park's closing have been suggested by fans. One is that there wasn't a need for this park due to the other two larger water parks on Disney property (which had more slides) and increased competition from other water parks in the area. Another is that bacteria from Bay Lake was reportedly contaminating River Country's water. Yet another is that this water park's lake was unheated, and was very cold outside the summer months.
It was commented by a Disney employee that a contributing reason for the closing was new state rules concerning water parks. Pools and water activities must have their water originating from municipal water systems, not natural bodies of water. Water snakes were also said to have been a problem.[citation needed]

fizzle75

River Country was a water park attached to Fort Wilderness that used water from Bay Lake rather than a private water source. It opened back in 1976 and was closed 2001 due to concerns with water contamination and other various factors.

Taken from Wikipedia:

Cool,thanks for the info!:wave:

ToTBellHop

As I have said in previous posts, nothing will go here and there is no need to demolish it. Nature will reclaim it (and if you look at that overhead picture, it already is). However, I certainly hope Disney has removed anything there that shouldn't be in the wild (tire swings, etc.). I don't remember what the waterslides were made of. Cement? If they were cement, then it's fine for them to stay (and you can clearly see that some of them are still there). They have plenty of space at WDW...they can just let this become wilderness again, I guess...although if they leveled it all and put cabins there, they could charge premium for water-view wilderness cabins...not sure it'd be worth the cost to clean things up there, though.

PurpleDragon

.although if they leveled it all and put cabins there, they could charge premium for water-view wilderness cabins...not sure it'd be worth the cost to clean things up there, though.

Thats exactly what I was thinking, they could level it and turn it into premium cabins or waterfront camping spots.

slappy magoo

Actually, with all the concern over Florida's ecosystem, I'm not sure WDW CAN do anything with that property. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the area around River Country is now considered land that needs to be kept preserved, making it prohobitively expensive to refurbish or even raze and rebuild the area

PurpleDragon

LMAO slappy, I love your signature. I couldn't agree more!! :lol:

What makes it even worse is they do bad jobs of singing songs I don't like, its just painful to listen to.

ToTBellHop

And then they win Oscars for up-staging Beyonce...and for THAT, I say "thank you, American Idol."

There is no question that the cost of razing River Country would likely be prohibitively expensive with minimal returns. It's not as though there is a shortage of waterfront property in the Magic Kingdom Resort area, and I'm sure they'd rather build something close to an existing major road.

wdwforus

Original Poster
I beg to differ on the prohibitive cost idea. The are spending millions to tear down the North Wing on a site that is being used daily, this place would have no intrusion issues. They could tear all that stuff up and fill it in within a couple of months. As far as getting there thats what the Pirate ships would be for, and they could offer parking and trams that were nautical themed to get you there. I am sure its not that difficult to put in a road and a decent sized parking lot. If there was an age limit on riding the rides then that could filter out alot of the people and make it more of a special place for the younger ones. The older siblings could come and watch but let the little ones have their space. I am not talking about huge thrill rides either, more Goofys Barnstormer size. I think more of a large activity based area would be even better.

mickeysaver

American Idol: People I don't care about singing songs I don't like to people whose opinion I don't value for the chance to record a CD I won't buy. I fail to see the appeal.

OMG, you have so totally nailed this one! Sorry to veer off topic, but OMG, it's just so perfect! Maggie

slappy magoo

I beg to differ on the prohibitive cost idea. The are spending millions to tear down the North Wing on a site that is being used daily, this place would have no intrusion issues. They could tear all that stuff up and fill it in within a couple of months. As far as getting there thats what the Pirate ships would be for, and they could offer parking and trams that were nautical themed to get you there. I am sure its not that difficult to put in a road and a decent sized parking lot. If there was an age limit on riding the rides then that could filter out alot of the people and make it more of a special place for the younger ones. The older siblings could come and watch but let the little ones have their space. I am not talking about huge thrill rides either, more Goofys Barnstormer size. I think more of a large activity based area would be even better.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the land around RC is now considered enviornmentally fragile and illegal to alter. When I talk about the cost being prohibitive, I mean they can't bring in the large machines necessary to tear down and rebuild, because they'd have to bring those machines in through the wetlands, effectively damaging federally protected enviornment. Which means that they'd have to bring in smaller equipment and more manpower to do the job, which becomes much MUCH more expensive and take much more time to do it. And even then, when it comes to the work necessary, I think some large constructoni equipment would be necessary no matter what else happened. Which brings you theoretically to square one, trying to build around federally protected land when getting the machinery to the site would destroy the federally protected land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom