Sexual Assault Claim on Disney Wonder

pheneix

Well, five minutes after the local TV station broke the story about the assault at Universal Studios, they just broke another story about a 13 year old girl filing a sexual assault claim with the police on board the Disney Wonder on New Year's Day. Looks like the area theme parks are gonna be introducing some security changes this year.

EDIT: Here is a news link.

Eyewitness News has learned a man is under arrest for allegedly sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl on a Disney cruise ship. The suspect is behind bars in the Bahamas.

The Disney Wonder is getting ready to disembark on it's next voyage to the Bahamas after it arrived back in Central Florida on Thursday morning. It arrived without a passenger from New York, a man who is now in jail awaiting arraignment on ______ charges.

Cast members aboard the Disney Wonder prepared the ship for another voyage to the Bahamas after what turned out to be a troubling trip for one family. Investigators with the Bahamian police said, on New Year’s Day, while the ship was in international waters, a 21-year-old passenger, Lucas George Wicker, sexually assaulted a 13-year-old girl.

http://www.wftv.com/news/10672770/detail.html

CatLady

Very disturbing... but I was amazed by the level of freedom that parents gave very young kids on the disney cruise. I think there was a false sense of security (much like the false sense of security a lot of parents seem to get in the parks).

I'm not sure what Disney can do to prevent this sort of thing, unfortunately. Background checks on all passengers? Even if passengers tolerated that (and they wouldn't, I suspect), that could just lead to an even greater sense of false security. Sad indeed.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Yes this is true. I did seem to notice at WDW during the holidays at least, there were always restroom attendants/cleaners in the women's restooms ( I didn't visit the mens room). I was shocked at how many people let children as young as 5 or 6 go to the restroom alone.

Upvote 0
I agree; when we went, I was 18, but still took my little sis (then 11) everywhere with me. My parents kept a close watch on her as well; though the kids can't really get kidnapped in the full sense of the word, sick people out there will do anything these days, even take a cruise hoping to hurt a child.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Is Disney a playground for paedophiles ?

No more so than any other place that has a high amount of children in a specific area. Add to the fact that so many come in from out of state, out of country and the parents seem to let their guards down..well its sort of amazing that something of this nature hasn't happened before now. I do not think there is really much more that any of the theme parks can do to prevent this sort of thing.

Upvote 0

haveyoumetmark

This is a normal practice on cruise ships. A lot of people get raped etc. There was even a special on Discovery Channel... "How to Protect Yourself on a Cruise"

It just looks like they all need to up security.

Apparently its because of alcohol etc. but do Disney Cruises serve it? I have never been, so I wouldn't know.

Upvote 0

bayoutinkbelle

This is a normal practice on cruise ships. A lot of people get raped etc. There was even a special on Discovery Channel... "How to Protect Yourself on a Cruise"

It just looks like they all need to up security.

Apparently its because of alcohol etc. but do Disney Cruises serve it? I have never been, so I wouldn't know.

Great to hear. :brick: I'm going on a cruise Jan. 15 (not Disney) and already I've been peppered with stuff like this from my mother. I'll ready myself for another round.

Sad to hear about the girl. Hope all works out well for her and her family.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom