Alleged Park-Tickets Scam Busted

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Seven accused of theme park ticket fraud

Alleged Park-Tickets Scam Busted
Thursday, July 25, 2002

ORLANDO (AP) -- Authorities have cracked a crime ring that allegedly used stolen credit card numbers to buy large amounts of theme park tickets for sale to independent, offsite outlets.

Three people have been arrested and four others are still being sought on charges, prosecutors said Wednesday.

"I would have to say this is a substantial case," Assistant Statewide Prosecutor Robert Finkbeiner said. He added that the ring was run almost "like a business."

Arrested were Marilu Clement, 38, of Windermere; and Edna Ruiz, 23, and Christian Zeni, 32, both of West Palm Beach.

The seven suspects are charged with organized fraud, punishable by up to 15 years in prison, and conspiracy to commit organized fraud, punishable by up to five years in prison.

In addition, Ruiz and Zeni were charged with multiple counts of identity theft, punishable by up to five years for each count.

According to the Office of Statewide Prosecution, the suspects created phony credit cards using stolen identities and credit card numbers, then used the cards to make purchases -- primarily tickets to Walt Disney World and Universal Studios.

Investigators said the ring then bought bulk amounts of tickets and sold them at discounts to distributors who had retail booths located off theme park property.

While buying and selling tickets was their main objective, ring members also used the stolen credit card numbers for other purchases, including auto parts and medical services, prosecutors said.

Investigators said they believed identities and credit card numbers were obtained mostly through the use of a device that can be attached inconspicuously to a computer or register at retail stores and restaurants. The captured information was then used to create counterfeit credit cards and identifications.

The investigation began when an informant notified Disney World security of fraudulent activity, Hines said.

It was not known where the arrested suspects were. Finkbeiner said the three had been taken into custody in Orange County, but the Orange County jail said it had no records they were taken there. It could not be determined if they have attorneys.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Three Arrested In Theme Park Ticket Scam

Three Arrested In Theme Park Ticket Scam

ORLANDO (WKMG.com) -- Authorities arrested three people Wednesday on charges that they used stolen credit card numbers to buy large amounts of theme park tickets, which they then sold to independent, off-site outlets. Officials said Marilu Clement, 38, of Windermere, and Edna Ruiz, 23, and Christian Zeni, 32, both of West Palm Beach, were arrested Wednesday and charged with organized fraud, conspiracy to commit organ-ized fraud and identity theft. Four others suspects are being sought in connection with the alleged scam. A multi-agency investigation found that the group allegedly created phony credit cards using the identities and credit card numbers of legitimate card holders, then used the cards to make purchases, primarily tickets to Walt Disney World and Universal Studios. Investigators said that the ring bought bulk amounts of tickets and sold them at discounts to distributors who had retail booths located off theme park property. While buying and selling tickets was their main objective, ring members also used the stolen credit card numbers for other pur-chases, including auto parts and medical services. Investigators said they believed identities and credit card numbers were obtained primarily through the use of a device which can be attached inconspicuously to a computer or register at retail stores and restaurants. The investigation began when an informant notified Dis-ney World Security of fraudulent activity.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster

By Pedro Ruz Gutierrez

July 25, 2002

(Sun-Sentinel) -- Two West Palm Beach residents were among seven people accused of peddling theme park tickets bought with fraudulent credit cards, authorities announced Wednesday.

Edna Ruiz, 23, and Christian Zeni, 32, worked with five other people and "created phony credit cards using the identifies and credit card numbers of legitimate card holders," according to a press release from the Office of Statewide Prosecution.

The credit cards were used to buy bulk amounts of Walt Disney World and Universal Studios Florida tickets, which were resold at a discount to independent, offsite outlets.

Also arrested was Marilu Clement, 38, of Windermere. Four others are still being sought, prosecutors said.

A tip to Disney World's security office alerted authorities to the several criminal groups operating between Central and South Florida, prosecutors said.

"While buying and selling tickets was their main objective, ring members also used the stolen credit card numbers for other purchases, including auto parts and medical services," Statewide Prosecutor Melanie Ann Hines said.

Investigators said they think identities and credit card numbers were using an inconspicuous device attached to a computer or register at stores and restaurants. The device can capture information used to create counterfeit credit cards and identifications.

Ruiz and Zeni face charges of organized fraud, punishable by up to 15 years in prison, conspiracy to commit organized fraud, punishable by up to five years, and several counts of identify theft, punishable by up to five years for each count.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
3 ARRESTED IN TICKET SCAM AT THEME PARKS

3 ARRESTED IN TICKET SCAM AT THEME PARKS

ORLANDO (Miami Herald) -- ORLANDO -- Authorities have cracked a crime ring that allegedly used stolen credit card numbers to buy large amounts of theme park tickets for sale to independent, off-site outlets.

Three people have been arrested and four others are still being sought on charges, said Assistant Statewide Prosecutor Robert Finkbeiner, adding that ``this is a substantial case.''

Arrested were Marilu Clement, 38, of Windermere; and Edna Ruiz, 23, and Christian Zeni, 32, both of West Palm Beach.

According to the Office of Statewide Prosecution, the suspects created phony credit cards using stolen identities and credit card numbers, then used the cards to make purchases -- primarily tickets to Walt Disney World and Universal Studios.

Investigators said the ring then bought bulk amounts of tickets and sold them at discounts to distributors.

mightyduck

Unbelievable. The Today show had a segment on identify fraud this morning where seniors are targeted and their homes sold out from under them....

Talsonic

Account Suspended
You have my vote!

Originally posted by pheneix
Ah, it is always nice to see these get nailed...

I agree 100% with pheneix on this one (how rare)! During my early trips to WDW when I was on a tight budget and forced to stay at the Motel 6, I always used to see those "ticket booths" outside of the local convenience stores. They offered WDW admission tickets for 50% off. I never bought from those guys mainly because their booths were made out of plywood and very portable and because of the old adage, "if it sounds to good to be true....". Heck, I won't even sit through a time share presentation in order to get free tickets. I buy through official sources only (i.e. Disney Store, AAA, Disney Club, etc.). In "the old days" I remember seeing guys outside of the various Disney Parks or at the airport attempting to get Disney admission media that still had a few days left. They'd make up stories such as, "I'm working my way through college..." or "we're collecting these tickets for the orphan relief fund so needy children can experience the joy of the Magic Kingdom...". I like to save a buck just as much as the next guy (maybe more) but I refuse to break the law or tolerate others that do!

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by pheneix
Ah, it is always nice to see these get nailed...

yes.. the same ones that offered me $20 for each of my WDW and Universal comps... who I promptly flipped off and told them to go to hell

Quentin Disney

It's good that I read the Main St. Diaries, Disney is very serious when it means NOT FOR SALE for comps. Disney monitors auctions for those that sell those type of tickets.

My comps have my name on them, so selling them would make Mickey angry.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Its nice to see the good guys winning.

The three arrested should be forced to listen to "its a small world" for the duration of their prison sentence :lol:

STGRhost

The moral of the story (Which most of you already know): NEVER buy tickets from anyone but Disney (and AAA)! We have problems with this all the time - the people who buy back partially used tix have to take the seller's word that they have x days left, and then they turn around and sell them to ignorant tourists, who try to use them to get into the parks. Often, the numbers get mixed up, and all, or just some, of the party has bought tickets that are used up, and now they don't have the money to buy legitimate tix. Also, in cases like the ones in the news, Security most likely blocked ALL of the tix bought with the stolen credit cards. If you (even unknowingly) buy these tickets, you won't be able to get into the parks (sometimes they let you, but they ask you to give a statement to security first.) Many people get mad at Disney when they've been duped by the scammers, but it's not out fault - it's illegal to sell back OR buy back tickets, and we try our best to educate people about that, but there are more of those plywood boooths than there are people to shut them down (also? Orange County has enough to do without spending extra time shutting them down)
Wow. Sorry to take up so much space - it really makes me angry when people buy these tix, and then are SHOCKED when they aren't legit. Talsonic is right when he said "If it sounds too good..."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom