Mirrors and RoE lasers

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I`ve just been watching RoE on tape from 2001 and noticed towards the end of Celebration a laser beam appear to eminate from the Rose and Crown / Showcase Gateway shoreline. I assume it`s bouncing the Mexico beam up into the air, but wondered how many mirrors there are for the show?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Looking again it looks like its from Island #2 (the South West one) - it seems further away on tape! The mirrors are doing a good job considering they were installed 18 years ago for IllumiNations.

CrashNet

There are 5 lasers, 3 with the full spectrum of color (Mexico, America, and Canada) and 2 green (the tower in Italy and the top of Japan). There are mirrors on the island on the left (if you were watching from Showcase Plaza) and the closest island on the right. There are several on each island pointing in different directions, with lasers directed towards different ones. One mirror on the right is pointed at another on the left. This is the most complex laser bend used in the show.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thank you! I didn`t know about Italy or Japan; have they been here since 1999 (surely not for I25?)

And am I right in that one of the 8 searchlights from the show is on the roof of The Rose and Crown, on a scissor lift?

Rob562

I believe that there were originslly five.
I also belive that you are correct about the light above the Rose and Crown.

I don't know about the lasers in Italy and Japan, as I've never noticed them before.
But there is a light on top of the Rose & Crown. If you go to the garden patio on the canal side of the building during the day, you can see the light parked in its' down position:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/steerr/Nov604395.jpg
It doesn't 100% blend in, but it's only visible from a few angles, and it's unobtrusive enough that you don't really notice it.

And here you can see the rooftop light in France has been raised into position a bit early:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/steerr/100_1725.jpg

-Rob

Rob562

Well, if there's 8...

There's definately 1 atop France and 1 definately atop Norway. So, where are the others?

Hey! It's a new use for Windows Live Local! :)

Let's see... Here's what I can find (all directions are as if you were along the water facing the pavilion):

Definite:
-France at the front end of the building to the right.
-UK on top of the Rose & Crown.
-Japan, just to the right of the tallest tower at the back.
-Germany, just to the left of the round tower in the back middle.
-Norway on top of Akershus restaurant.
-Showcase Plaza, the only thing I can see that resembles the other light lifts is something surrounded by hedges in the right-hand planter as you approach from Future World.

Maybe:
-Italy, I think I see one on top of the Doge's Palace. (Taller building on the left of the pavilion)
-Mexico I *think* on top of the Cantina de San Angel, though I can't be sure. I can't quite get a good, clear angle.

That's 8 lights, but it doesn't seem balanced. I can't see where there's one in American Adventure.
I might be wrong about the one in Mexico. But there's a long space between UK and Showcase Plaza, which makes me assume there's one in Canada that I just can't find in the aerial photos... The only place I can see it being in Canada is behind the shops on the left-hand side of the pavilion, on the upper level.

-Rob

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
There`s 2 lights on the roof of the American Adventure (on the rear raised stage section) plus one on the southern ends of each Innoventions building... one on Norway, one on Germany, one on France and the one in the UK.

Yep, Live Local is a great tool!

BTW; Rob - those google links won`t work. Any ideas?

Rob562

There`s 2 lights on the roof of the American Adventure (on the rear raised stage section) plus one on the southern ends of each Innoventions building... one on Norway, one on Germany, one on France and the one in the UK.

Yep, Live Local is a great tool!

BTW; Rob - those google links won`t work. Any ideas?

Sorry about that. I guess Google/Picasaweb didn't like how I was trying to use their servers. :eek: I've put the photos on Photobucket and updated the links in my post above.

As for the other lights, I *totally* missed the ones at AA. And now that I think about it, I *know* I've noticed that there were two there before. :)
And are you sure that's what those two boxes are on the Innoventions buildings? They seem pretty far-removed from World Showcase to be a part of Illuminations...

-Rob

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Regarding Innoventions, they are a way away compared to say the UK, but from available footage and Live Local that`s what they seem to be;

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 33

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I believe that those may be used for SSE.
I thought that at first, but when looked at from above the ventilation units appear to block off SSE from them. I also thought about the Plaza merchandise units (World Trader & Ports of Call etc, or whatever they`re called today) but the beams come from way behind them, bearing in mind the RoE spots are mainly used for smoke illumination (apart from Holiday Tags) as opposed to the pavilion chase of IllumiNations - they wouldn`t really need to be that close for sky illumination.

Any RoE techs aorund?? :D

WDW Monorail

Having watched several showings of RoE from World Showcase Plaza, I don't recall seeing those bems above my head. After analyzing some videos of RoE including two that look directtowards Innoventions, I have not seen these beams pointing towards World Showcase Lagoon.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Having watched several showings of RoE from World Showcase Plaza, I don't recall seeing those bems above my head. After analyzing some videos of RoE including two that look directtowards Innoventions, I have not seen these beams pointing towards World Showcase Lagoon.
Here ya go; taken looking towards SSE from between Italy and AmAd. The insert shows on the left the roof of one of the Showcase stalls; the beam is from north of that:

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 32

CrashNet

Thank you! I didn`t know about Italy or Japan; have they been here since 1999 (surely not for I25?)

And am I right in that one of the 8 searchlights from the show is on the roof of The Rose and Crown, on a scissor lift?
You're welcome. :)

That's them (refering to the two black spots on the roof of Club Cool and Mouse Gear). The other six are in Norway, Germany, 2 in America, Japan, France, and the UK.

If you get to showcase plaza about 1 hour and 15 minutes to an hour before showtime, you can usually see them testing the lasers, including the two in the tower in Italy and the one in Japan. They are easiest to make out from Showcase plaza. They are a little further away than the others, but if you consider the buildings in that area, there really wasn't another place to put them without putting them in the middle of the grass or lagoon on lifts.

SSE's lighting is much closer to it than that. The lighting for the rear is just above Guest relations and The Art of Disney. As I'm sure everyone probably knows, the lighting for the front is mounted on the main entrance canopy.

And for those curious, the spots typically display the four colors of EPCOT, pumpkin orange, lavender, lagoon blue, and mint green. Naturally with no gel selected they display white, and have also in the past displayed red and blue for the 4th of July.

Also, I forgot to mention one...there actually is a 6th laser (just green) on the right island out in the lagoon. I've been trying for about 15 minutes to make a screencap from a show I have filmed that shows the lasers from Italy, Japan, and the one on the island all in one shot but for some reason printscreen won't capture it. If anyone has some suggestions I'd be happy to use them to make the screencap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom