Monorail Expansion?

mlnance

Original Poster
I wanted to ask anyone on this discussion list that may have any information regarding the expansion of the monorail system.

I have a feeling that Disney will never do this, but it would be nice to see Disney revamp the entire monorail layout by connecting other major resorts on the Disney property - Swan Resort, Animal Kingdom lodge, etc. I wonder if they are waiting until they build the next major land before making plans for revamping.

Mike

bamboo7

Originally posted by mlnance
I wanted to ask anyone on this discussion list that may have any information regarding the expansion of the monorail system.

I have a feeling that Disney will never do this, but it would be nice to see Disney revamp the entire monorail layout by connecting other major resorts on the Disney property - Swan Resort, Animal Kingdom lodge, etc. I wonder if they are waiting until they build the next major land before making plans for revamping.

Mike

to answer that in more friendly way,
most people here agree that it is not likely to happen, since it would cost a LOT of money, it wouldn't make any money, and it really isn't neccesary since the busses are able to handle the load of people moving about wdw.

Invero

Originally posted by pheneix
I'm going to keep this short so I don't get into a rant:

It is not happening. It probably never will happen.

You took the words right outta my mouth! :)

JonnyK

I knew it wouldnt happen, but maybe in the future it will.. we never know but It would be nice if they made spme stations at each resorts and transfer them to the ticket station at each theme parks for faster service, I know this wont happen.. Im just saying it would be a good idea.

Monorail Lime

Everyone says it'll never happen now that the economy is bad, but back when things were peachy everyone was singing a different tune. Why would they spend all that money studying the Seven Gate Scenario if they never planned on implementing it?

jaylenofan86

Nice avatar Lime, reminds me of the good days.:cry: Anyway, I got this from a MtS website. It is a proposed monorail route in Orlando. It looks like it ends at Downtown Disney. I hope that they do this!:D

Attachments

• monorailmap.jpg
    monorailmap.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,831

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I strongly believe that this issue is the key to the future of the Disney Parks. When Michael Eisner took control, he "revolutionized" the Disney theme parks by injecting energy into really doing the things Walt always wanted.

With a focus on architecture, cleanliness, efficiency, customer service, Disney showed everyone else how it should be done. For a while, one of the best parts of going to Disney world was seeing how good things could be. For the past 10 years, Disney's competitors have been learning and catching up, and Disney no longer stands as the leader. Unless Disney does something soon to re-establish its leadership role, many visitors will realize that the "Disney Experience" is mostly talk, and, in reality, Disney world is just a collection of amusement parks.

Walt was always fascinated by the future and transportation. I personally feel he would be appalled to see that people are lining up for loud, crowded, pollution spewing buses when much more interesting transportation models are popping up all over the world. At the very least, Disney could buy some Fuel Cell powered buses (does anyone know if this has even been discussed?).

Well, that's enough of my rant for now, but I am curious if others share my views or I am off base. Here are some interesting links to transportation web sites:

Innovative Trasnportation Technologies

Megarail

Monorail Society

APM Technologies

MKCustodial

I remember a thread about this a few months ago, and Tyler, our monorail expert, explained in good detail about how this will never work. Something tto do with the "expansion" only sounding good, not actually being good, since the buses are faster, can go more places, take more people and cost less.

I guess if you do a search you can find the thread I'm talking about. :wave:

Invero

Originally posted by garyhoov
At the very least, Disney could buy some Fuel Cell powered buses (does anyone know if this has even been discussed?).

I asked this question myself... Disney actually did try out alternative fuel busses awhile back, but unfortunetly, due to the tempermental Florida climate, and the current technological status of alternative fuels, it just wouldn't be an advantage. :(

Invero

Originally posted by MKCustodial
I remember a thread about this a few months ago, and Tyler, our monorail expert, explained in good detail about how this will never work. Something tto do with the "expansion" only sounding good, not actually being good, since the buses are faster, can go more places, take more people and cost less.

I guess if you do a search you can find the thread I'm talking about. :wave:

LOL, there's actually a few threads. Suffice to say, it's really not about money, but rather logistics and guest traffic flow.

I can imagine how much money such a project would cost, and if they were made, they would really have no advantage for Disney in general. It's probably more of a waste than anything...

Terp02

I have no doubt in my mind that once Hydrogen fuel cells are on the market for cars and buses that Disney will immediately jump on it, maybe even before, just to test out the newer, cleaner, less expensive fuel. The monorail idea is a good idea, but a very costly one. Ok say that Disney does build a huge monorail system to Orlando as well as expanding the intra-WDW system, what's gonna happen if something happens to it, like the system breaks down, they have to go back to the buses while fixing the monorail system. It's not gonna happen, and if does, I see it going to from the TTC to AK at most. Just my opinion.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

I asked this question myself... Disney actually did try out alternative fuel busses awhile back, but unfortunetly, due to the tempermental Florida climate, and the current technological status of alternative fuels, it just wouldn't be an advantage. :(

This is something I found strange. Sweden have implimented a policy on public buses using cleaner emissions extracting the disease causing particulants from exhaust fumes. Also many city buses run on power cable lines, trolly bus style, Im sure solar power could be harnessed to charge batterys.

One final point monorails are only comparitively expensive because the cost of diesel is so cheap. Spread a little instant sunshine around the desert and cost change.
But thats a bit of a price to pay to get an extended monorail:hammer:

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Just a few points to kick around:

If Monorail doesn't make sense, why was it used at a time when mass transportation was less important than it currently is?

If Monorail is too expensive, what other alternatives would make more sense?

If advanced transportation systems are too expensive for Disney World, how can the Universities that are currently experimenting with them afford them? Aren't their resources much more limited than Disney world?

If cost is the final deciding factor for getting things done how can any of Disney World's "frills" be justified? For example, wouldn't it be much less expensive to build a simple hotel rather than one with fiberglass statues of Buzz Lightyear, Woody etc. ?

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Here's an interesting link:

Taxi 2000

This is one of many companies marketing a system that uses small, individual cars. At one time, I heard that Disney was investigating a system such as this. Does anyone know what happened to that?

A system like this may address some of the concerns expressed with a monorail expansion.

zenatoad

Monorail Expansion

I can tell you this much for sure. As of last year - it was past the Disney planning stages. One company I know of had sketches and a proposed bid for the expansion. I can't say who, but I do know that they lost the bid due to the added security that would need to be imposed after 7/11. They would start with connecting the four main parks, then adding DD, and some of the other resorts. I know this for a fact - this isn't a rumor! However, I'm not sure who won the bid and if it's even going to still happen.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Thanks Zenatoad!

From your post, I'm assuming you mean a system similar to the Taxi 2000. If there's any chance you could get more information, I think you'd have a very interested audience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom