Nemo Musical first show review

Soarinluvr

Original Poster
Hey guys just got back from seeing the first ever showing of Finding Nemo The Musical and I have to say it was sooooo great. :sohappy: The stage was very well done with bubbles on the sides that show clips every so often. The Puppets were very well done and the acting supberb. There were some parts that were side splittingly funny and some very emotional sets. The Jelly fish part was great the way they had the puppets looked like they were moving in water. They even had the silverfish that gave the directions to the EAC and it was done very well. My fav parts was when Bruce and the sharks came out and had a song to sing and when Crush came out and kind of had a reggaeton sounding song. The space was used greatly. from the set designs, the wire acts and overall lighting I was very impressed and thought it was very worthy of Broadway. We were even greeted by the executive Vice president of Entertainment to welcome us to the very first show. BTW they are doing two shows a day one at 10 am and one at 1230 until the 15th then four times a day. If you are going to AK stop by and see the show. We gave the a huge standing ovation. Have a great day guys

Soarinluvr

wbboy29

I totally agree. I saw both performances today and LOVED it. The audience gave standing ovations at both performances. If you go see it though just keep in mind that these performances are actually "dress rehearsals" and not the finished show yet. But WOW, as of right now it is such a great show I can't wait to see how it evolves over the next 2 months before it's grand opening in Jan. Well done, to the creative team, the tech crew, and of course the cast for such a fantastic show. :sohappy:

Oh, and the music will be stuck in your head all day. It's written by Robert Lopez who wrote the music for "Avenue Q" on broadway.

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.........:lol:

Blizz

Just a tip:
Don't come and expect a show on Tuesday, the show will be dark.

Also, to those who have seen it already, expect a lot of changes in the coming months, to the extent of new music to replace some of the current tracks. The show runs way too long as it is right now for a theme park show at WDW.

TarzanRocked99-

Alright before I begin know that this is coming from a huge Tarzan Rocks fan. I was very very anti Nemo coming into this venue until...... I saw the show today and now all I can say is WOW!!!! This is by far the best show on Walt Disney World Property Hands down, I would compare its production quality to Aladdin over at DCA which is also amazing.

The theatre has not changed much at all and has basically just had a building placed around it. It is the acting, the songs and the incredible visuals that make this show so amazing.

The show opens as downbeat as the movie with the death of Nemo's Mother which includes this Haunted House variety slashing noise. Then it immediatly transcends into the first day of school and the song "Big Blue World" , which we have all heard in the new Living Seas re-do. During this number they fly these fish and squid kites over the audience which really make the show feel as if it surrounds you.

Nemo and Marlin soon have a fight at the Drop off and Nemo is taken by the diver. Marlin rushes off to save Nemo and quickly runs into Dory (who by the way is acted so so well, she had the character down perfectly) We soon see Nemo dropped into the tank at the Dentist office which is an awesome effect. We meet the tank gang and this HUGE nigel puppet comes out from the side of the stage. The tank gang plan their escape by filling the tank with ________, (one of the better jokes from the show) then the show moves on and we find Dory and Marlin meeting Bruce and the other sharks who sing "Fish are Friends not Food". This was by far my favorite musical number of the show, it was so funny and it had a real broadway feel to it. The number ends with the mines exploding and some impressive onstage pyro. (*Note.. this shark scene actually came before Nemo meets the tank gang)

We meet back up with Dory and Marlin for the song "Just Keep Swimming" which is peformed while the actors are suspended from wires. This portion had great arial acrobatics from the actress plaing Dory. Dory and Marlin soon are arguing and Marlin tells her he is going to find Nemo, not Fabio/Tivo/Rico and all the other names she keeps calling him, on his own. At this point the school of fish swim in and recreate perfectly that scene from the movie. The school is playes by multiple actors using what looked like Fish Oven Mits to play the part, AND PLAY THE PART THEY DID. They recreated sydney the EAC, and other funny shapes with those mits and the crowd loved it. They warn Marlin and Dory not to go over the trench they are approching but Marlin does not listen.

Soon huge Jelly Fish fill the theatre and they are very cool looking, much better than the ones in the new ride There is a quick song I think about bouncing on top of the Jelly fish and then Dory gets stung and looks to be real hurt. The theatre goes dark and a small set comes in from the side and we see Nemo telling Gill how sorry he is that he could not clog the drain, then Gill telln Nemo not to worry that he is sure his dad is on his way to save him. Nemo then tells Gill that his dad is not brave and would not be coming to save him.

At this point the back of the stage opens up and this Huge Crush comes out with what looks like a Hawaiian Rastifari playing his voice. Crush teaches Marlin about letting go of his son and letting them grow up, then bursts into the song " Go With the Flow" with a host of other turtles and squirt who is suspended from the air. They us alot of great projection effects here and utilize the bubbles on either side of the stage well. After this number they have a variety of sea life speading the news of the Adventure Marlin and Dory are on to save Nemo. This scene fills the whole venue and is very well done. I think it also got the bigges laugh of the show when the two Penguins come out and about halfway through their monolog realize they are flying and then fall to the ground because penguins can't fly.

We then see the tank gang again and Nigel tells them that Nemo's dad is on the way, then via awesome projection effects the evil devil crazy braces girl (can't remember her name) starts banging on the glass of the tank. Everyone panics and Nemo plays dead. Marlin and Dory rush in about that time and think the worst has happened. We see them head back to the ocean and then just as they are saying goodbye, Nemo comes out a drin slide (an actual slide on the stage) and all are happy as nemo said he was flushed. Then Dory is trapped in the fishing net and Nemo must convince Marlin to allow him to save the day.

Marlin chooses to let Nemo grow up and with the help of Marlin have all the fish just keep swimming and the day is saved. The stage then transfoms back to the reef and all the fish in the show come onstage to sing "Big Blue World" again. At this point bubbles fill the entire theatre and the kite fish are back swimming overhead. After the song Nemo tells his dad that he loves him and then swims offstage, Marlin is left alone onstage and then he too swims off and the show is over.

Final thoughts.... The acting is so good you have a hard time focusing on the puppets, you seem drawn to the actors on them. Mr. Ray reminds me of Willie Wonka how he comes out on the bike with that hat on. The "Fish are friends not Food" song has to be one of the best new disney songs ever. And finally that this show has been put together with alot of care and talent, it is long for a themepark show and is probably going to get a bit longer according to the show director who I talked to after the show. Also for anyone else who liked Tarzan Rocks like I did you will be happy to know that much of the cast is in this show as well.

So in conclusion I will leave you with this...
"Hey we are pengiuns, we can't fly...yeah your right... ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!":D

TarzanRocked99-

Just a tip:
Don't come and expect a show on Tuesday, the show will be dark.

Also, to those who have seen it already, expect a lot of changes in the coming months, to the extent of new music to replace some of the current tracks. The show runs way too long as it is right now for a theme park show at WDW.

I brought that up today and was told that the show would not be shortend in fact would be lengthened by about 5 mins. It is long, but I like it that way, it feels like a real production.

Blizz

I brought that up today and was told that the show would not be shortend in fact would be lengthened by about 5 mins. It is long, but I like it that way, it feels like a real production.

I'm not sure who told you that, but the show will indeed be shortened. It is already in the works and has been since last week. They first wanted it to be around 45 minutes long, but in order to get in the number of shows needed per day the show will have to cut at least 5 minutes.

Right now the show runs from 35 - 40 minutes. It needs to be down to 30 - 35.

orlandohiker

I saw both shows today too. I have a lot about the show from people in the cast.....so I felt like I had already seen it. I was mesmerized! It's a GREAT, GREAT show.

TarzanRocked99-

It ran about 42 mins today when I saw it, didn't feel all that long. It was Roger, the musical director I believe that told me that they were going to have to lengthen it to allow more time for set and costume transitions. He said a few minutes longer, but I guess we will have to see. It is a great show either way!

Blizz

It ran about 42 mins today when I saw it, didn't feel all that long. It was Roger, the musical director I believe that told me that they were going to have to lengthen it to allow more time for set and costume transitions. He said a few minutes longer, but I guess we will have to see. It is a great show either way!

Yeah, I hate to burst his bubble... haha. Who knows, entertainment changes their mind every 5 minutes.

OmegaKnight

I hope that they are doing previews on Wednesday. I am off of work that day and was going to make a trek over to DAK to check out, what is sounding like, an awesome new show.

darthjohnny

Wait, the show is already open. Won't there be an Annual Passholder preview for the show that December. If it is already showing, it won't be that special....? :veryconfu

the-reason14

Dang, I cant wait to see this one. It will be playing during christmas break right, it should because of how busy its gonna be and if its playing now, but you never know.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
And some silly APs like myself signed up for December 2nd, which is now also the day they're doing the AP Christmas parade stuff at MK (it even said with "seating" in the Mickey monitor!), so i hope the two don't have a time conflict *shrug*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom