Disney making its theme park food healthier

DizWiz

Original Poster
I didn't see this posted yet, but I thought it was interesting...

Disney making its theme park food healthier
Orlando Business Journal - 1:46 PM EDT Monday

The Walt Disney Co. announced Monday that it will change the foods served in U.S. theme parks in Florida and California to reduce calories, fats and sugar, and provide heatlhier alternatives to fried foods and sodas.

In addition to offering healthier options in its restaurants, Disney also plans to eliminate trans fats by the end of 2007 in its park foods and by the end of 2008 for licensed products.

Disney says it will gradually eliminate all licensed food products bearing its name or its characters that do not meet stringent health guidelines for children including limits on calories, fat, saturated fat and sugar.

Beginning this month, Disney (NYSE: DIS) says its theme park kids' meals will be served with low-fat milk, 100 percent fruit juice or water. Side dishes such as apple sauce or carrots will be offered instead of french fries.

While french fries and soft drinks will still be available, Disney says Initial tests involving 20,000 kids' meals show that as many as 90 percent of parents and kids chose the more nutritious option.

The new guidelines will be adapted internationally over the next several years. The timetable for implementing these policies is being driven by contractual arrangements, most of which lapse in two years. Earlier this year, Disney and McDonald's Corp. ended a 10-year promotional agreement.

The guidelines are based on The Dietary Guidelines for Americans and have been developed in cooperation with two experts, James Hill, director of the Center for Human Nutrition at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and Keith Thomas Ayoob, an associate clinical professor of pediatrics at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

In a press release, Ayoob says, "Disney is synonymous with fun and can play an important role in getting kids to consume a more balanced diet."

The limits include sugar, total saturated fats and calories for kid's foods, However, Disney says it will continue to license special-occasion sweets such as birthday cakes and seasonal candy as part of its product range but limit the number of indulgence items in its licensed portfolio to 15 percent by 2010.

"The Disney brand and characters are in a unique position to market food that kids will want and parents will feel good about giving them," says Disney President and CEO Robert Iger, in a written statement.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2006/10/16/daily8.html?f=et70&hbx=e_du

TTATraveler

Good for Disney in offering more healthy options now and in the future. They should do what Wendy's does and allow fries, a salad, or baked potato as a side item with combo meals at no additional cost. I like Disney's fries, but something healthier would be nice once and a while.

slappy magoo

I was first prepared to offer a big ol' snide "big deal," assuming they are only talking about adding healthier options to those who want 'em, figuring kids will always want fries & soda over anything else. But considering that their internal polling show 90% of parents choose healthier fare for their children, AND they're talking about curtailing/eliminating trans fats in their foods, seems like a pretty big deal indeed.

GymLeaderPhil

Nice to see the effort being made to do this. Hopefully they don't mess with the classic recipes too much, can't imagine a sugarless Tonga Toast! :dazzle:

shoppingnut

Honestly, I'm sick of the food police. This will probably mean that all the good things will come off the menu and whatever is left will be tasteless. I guess there is going to come a time where one will have to pack ones own junk food.

So when does the candy and bakery shops on Main Street close, hmmm.

wherewhy

Honestly, I'm sick of the food police. This will probably mean that all the good things will come off the menu and whatever is left will be tasteless. I guess there is going to come a time where one will have to pack ones own junk food.

So when does the candy and bakery shops on Main Street close, hmmm.

I Couldn't agree more. My wife and I just came back from DL and loved the trip! The only complaint that we had was the park food. It was so much different from WDW, I don't mind eating healthy, but I do not want to be forced to.

TTATraveler

I know Wendy's recently eliminated trans fats by switching to a healthier oil and quite frankly, I don't notice a change in the taste of the food at all. I highly doubt they are going to get rid of all the standards: hamburgers, chicken strips, fries, etc. If they fry their foods in a healthier oil that doesen't impact taste, then why not do it.

As for the other staples, candy, cookies, etc. you can eat more of them since your real food is healthier:D:lol:

tink81

I Couldn't agree more. My wife and I just came back from DL and loved the trip! The only complaint that we had was the park food. It was so much different from WDW, I don't mind eating healthy, but I do not want to be forced to.

Yeah we noticed that, too. The biggest disappointment was that DL's Dole Whips are dairy free (read: no taste) :hurl:

wherewhy

Yeah we noticed that, too. The biggest disappointment was that DL's Dole Whips are dairy free (read: no taste) :hurl:

Thank you! I thought I was going nuts. I knew they didn't taste right. That and the strawberry swirl are always one of the first two things we get a WDW

daverube

I think having healthier options available for everyone is a great idea. However, to go full swing whacko forced diet on everyone would not be great. The last time I checked, I burn TONS of calories in my daily walks around, through, over and under the parks.

CoffeeJedi

Theme Park Insider has an extension/opinion of this story:
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/200610/212/

I think the move to eliminate trans-fat next year is great. There's plenty of options out there now that taste just as good as the "real thing" but are far better for you. For example, anyone who has Moe's Southwest Grill in their area, you know that their meat is cooked in vegetable oil and their food is completly free of trans-fat, and its AWESOME.

justducky78

I'm happy to hear they're moving away from the trans-fats and adding healthier options to the menus.

Although - I think their study showing 90% of parents choose the healthier options for their children is off, by a lot! If that were the case, the kids in this country wouldn't be so obese. :lol:

MissM

I think having healthier options available for everyone is a great idea. However, to go full swing whacko forced diet on everyone would not be great. The last time I checked, I burn TONS of calories in my daily walks around, through, over and under the parks.
I'm with you. I don't mind additional items which are geared toward being "healthy" and whatnot, but I don't want it forced as the only option.

For example, I am massively allergic to artifical sweetners. It drives me up a wall that almost every new product these days has a "diet" version only but no regular one. It's all artifically sweetened. So I can't have it. At all. Not even a sip or a bite. (Instant migraine.)

I don't mind healthier alternatives but they have to be just that - alternatives - and not just the only option you have. I've opted for carrots before with my burger if I'm feeling that way, but I don't want to be forced to have only carrots or only sugar-free items. I'd be unable to eat at the parks if that were the case.
-m

Oh, I should note that I don't mind the removal of things like trans fats because those are bad for you and can be altered without problem. I just refer to veggie or diet only instances which need to be options not automatics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom