Robert Iger to be named Eisners replacement to CEO position today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigsmom

From today's NYTimes...

March 13, 2005

<nyt_headline version="1.0" type=" "> </nyt_headline> Iger Is Said to Be Choice for New Chief at Disney

<nyt_byline version="1.0" type=" "> [size=-1] By LAURA M. HOLSON [/size]
</nyt_byline> <table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr> </tbody> </table> <nyt_text> </nyt_text>
l.gif
OS ANGELES, March 12 - The board of The Walt Disney Company is expected to announce on Sunday that Robert A. Iger, Disney's president, will replace Michael D. Eisner, the chief executive who is departing next year, according to a person apprised of the board meeting.

The board met Saturday night and voted to give Mr. Iger the job after interviewing other candidates. Another candidate, Meg Whitman, the chief executive of eBay, told directors on Friday that she was not interested in replacing Mr. Eisner, according to an eBay spokesman.

The decision to give Mr. Iger the job, who began his career at the ABC network nearly 30 years ago and was Mr. Eisner's choice for the job, is sure to raise questions among critics who are likely to complain that the board did not conduct a thorough search. They include the dissident former board members Stanley Gold and Roy Disney, the nephew of the company's founder, who do not support Mr. Iger.

While the board discussed other candidates, in recent weeks it had focused more intently on Mr. Iger. The board met several weeks ago with its search firm, which gave them a lengthy presentation on Mr. Iger. And last weekend the Disney chairman, George J. Mitchell, the former senator from Maine, met with top Disney executives to ask them whether they liked working for Mr. Iger.

Aside from Ms. Whitman, there were several other highly regarded executives who were on the board's short list and considered as possible successors to Mr. Eisner, including Peter Chernin, the chief operating officer of the News Corporation, and Viacom's co-presidents Tom Freston and Leslie Moonves.

wannabeBelle

blackride said:
Not sure I like this move. I would think it would be good to pull in someone from the outside to make the changes that incumbents already had a chance to do.
Aye Aye!!!! Well said!!! I hope we are totally wrong on this one, but I have to agree with Blackride. I believe a new perspective is needed, not a rehash of the Eisner years. I believe the Disney company was intended to evolve and change, but in a good and positive way. I dont think every ride was intended to last forever, but to change and continue to innovate. THAT was what made Disney as good as it is!! Belle

Donfan

Iger

Any chance someone could give us a concise listing of Iger's Pros and Cons so that we will all have an idea of what we can expect from him?

askmike1

Pluto Parking said:
Let's calm down and give him a chance.
Thank you for giving the best post in a long time. You people have to give him a chance. You are all so unwilling that he could do every good thing in the world and you would still find something to bash him on. And then there are a lot who are just following the crowd going "well he has to be bad." Give the man a chance. You do not know what he will do. And I find it downright dumb that the other person would drop out because Disney was 'taking too long.' Hello, they said they would have a CEO by June! Let's see, it is March so they'd still have 3 more months. The other person wanted it immediately or not at all. I could rant for some more but I will stop. Anywho, this thread shouldn't be here anyway, it should be with the other Iger thread in the Disney news thread. After all this isn't a WDW news/rumor.

-Michael

Iakona

I would have to agree with reserving judgment until we see what Mr. Iger does when HE is in charge. Keep in mind that just because he is a President within the Corp. he was not CEO. As a subordinate there are many times when you present your point and if the boss (Eisner) decides to go in a different direction you fall in line and do your best with the hand you are dealt.
That does not mean he will mimic Eisner when he has control.

Pluto Parking said:
Let's calm down and give him a chance.

General Grizz

Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong

General Grizz

Thanks... :D

*clears throat*

Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong

imagineer boy

askmike1 said:
I'm gonna take a wild stab at this, but I'm guessing you don't want him as ceo. :)

Obviously. But really, the reason why we don't want him is because he's the reason why ABC is doing so horribly now. Someone else created "Desperate House Wives" and other shows that became a success. Iger fired her, and he got all the credit for these popular shows.

And guys, we are really going to have to take some serious action. If Iger bemomes CEO, it will be too late. We need to do anything possible to prevent him from becoming CEO.

longfamily

It would have been my wish that Disney would have taken serious consideration of someone who had experience in innovation as well as longevity in a successful company. A risk taker and dreamer would have been better suited to boost the numbers at Disney. I believe that Igar, although successful in his own line of business, has been groomed to be a cookie cutter of Isner. This decision doesn't change anything. Disney will continue on the path it is going and that is not a good thing.

askmike1

imagineer boy said:
O Someone else created "Desperate House Wives" and other shows that became a success. Iger fired her, and he got all the credit for these popular shows.
You are naming the one good thing Susan Lyne did. She is also the one that was committed to 'Line of Fire', 'Karen Sisco', 'Kingdom Hospital', and numerous other failures. You say he fired the greenlighter of Desperate Housewives...I say he fired the greenlighter of multiple failed shows.

-Michael

ImaginEAR

General Grizz said:
Thanks... :D

*clears throat*

Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong

One of the best posts I've seen today! :D

NemoRocks78

Seized
askmike1 said:
You are naming the one good thing Susan Lyne did. She is also the one that was committed to 'Line of Fire', 'Karen Sisco', 'Kingdom Hospital', and numerous other failures. You say he fired the greenlighter of Desperate Housewives...I say he fired the greenlighter of multiple failed shows.

He also said no to 'Survivor' and 'CSI'.....

askmike1

NemoRocks said:
He also said no to 'Survivor' and 'CSI'.....
That's looking in hindsight. Sure, it's easy to look back and say what you should and should not have done. BUt who knows? It is quite possible that those two shows would have failed on ABC? The two networks would have aired it differently and promoted it differently.

-Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom