POTC ReTheming at Disneyland.

ogryn

Facinating story. Thanks Cory.

Certainly intreguing, but even with new warnings about the late night version, do you still think it would suffer from "Alien Encounter" syndrome of kids being taken on anyway, and then getting complaints?

Parent: "Sure, that cast member was just trying to scare you little Johnny. I've been on Pirates since 196x and there is nothing to be scared of"

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
neat idea. i would like to be a fly on the wall and see how they could change that set in 15 minutes though. that would be tough.

wannab@dis

They were not changing the set, just the route the boat took. The new route would include new sets behind the existing ones.

Take this with a grain of salt and remember the source.

ToTBellHop

That's intriguing--it would cost an awful lot, so I agree that it depends on how the sequels do, and construction certainly wouldn't begin until after the 50th, anyway, but I like the idea. I'm not sure families will appreciate it, however...

dxwwf3

ogryn said:
Certainly intreguing, but even with new warnings about the late night version, do you still think it would suffer from "Alien Encounter" syndrome of kids being taken on anyway, and then getting complaints?

Yes I'm pretty sure it would suffer from AE syndrome (I love that term BTW) simply because so many people have been on the version today and the problem could arise when some families make their way to Adventureland at night and they want to ride PotC. And now suddenly Daddy can't take little Johnny on the attraction he saw as a kid? And yes there is no amount of literature that would make everyone know that the ride actually changes at night. People just don't listen or pay attention when they are at the parks.

WITH THAT SAID, I think that it is an absolutely wonderful idea! :lol:
They don't touch Walt's version (which is always a plus) and they add a new attraction in the same building as the current one. I would love to see a PotC attraction that is much scarier and is more like the film. But of course not at the expense of the original.

Hey I just got an idea of how to solve the SGE problem. Make one chamber programmed with SGE for the day time and make the other chamber programmed with AE for the nighttime. :lookaroun

SpectroMan

Awesome idea, but I agree with dxwwf3. This new addition would cause alot of head aches for the guest relations people. Maybe if they advertised the heck out of the new addition just like they are doing with Stitch at the Magic Kingdom, they might be able to pull it off.

Legacy

That sounds absolutely amazing, but the extended period the attraction would have to be down would be amazing. To be honest though, since the chances of a full Black Pearl version occuring are slim, I think this is the second best idea.

Thanks Lee and Cory for pulling this one out of Jim.

Captain Hank

This is quite an intriguing idea. It's also a guest relations nightmare. There are already enough "What time is the 3:00 p.m. parade?" questions. Imagine all of the "What pirates are out right now?" questions. Also, depending on the season, how long is the park usually open after moonlight? Only a few hours? Seems like a very short guest exposure time for such an expensive attraction. Sure, they could extend the operating hours, but would the increased evening admission income from one special attraction be worth the expense of keeping all of the other attractions on-line? I like the idea, I just don't like all of the logistics involved.

CoryMitchell

Original Poster
Legacy said:
Thanks Lee and Cory for pulling this one out of Jim.

No pulling was needed. I came home last night and I saw the two pictures of Barbossa in my inbox and knew instantly what Jim was up to. I'm glad you guys liked it so much. It really is a great idea.

bryon1

Im alittle confused by this story...

First Jim says this...
"The news came straight from one of my very best sources. A guy who's really wired into the theme park community. No, I can't reveal his name. All I can tell you that he's a man who's got some really great connections at the Walt Disney Company. More importantly, this guy who has never ever steered me wrong with a theme park-related story."

Sounds very strong....

then....
"But the fact of matter is, folks, that this sort of redo for Disneyland's "Pirates" actually has been proposed. Senior Imagineers have gone down to Anaheim and wandered all through that cavernous show building out beyond the berm. They've even measured the available space out behind behind POTC's pre-existing sets. And -- sure enough (If you take advantage of POTC boat storage space) -- there really is enough room back there for another flume. As well as space for several new show scenes for this more horrific take on "Pirates of the Caribbean.""

even more reliable....

then
"Or perhaps the better question might be proposed to all the people who've actually worked at Disneyland's "Pirates of the Caribbean" over the past 37 / nearly 38 years. As in: Is there really room enough behind POTC's pre-existing sets to do something like this? To install a new flume, to build new show scenes that can properly support & present skeletal AA figures? I'd love to hear what these people have to say."

whoa! wiegh anchor laddies...
You give us concrete information as if it were comming out of Tony Baxters mouth that its going to be done and then JH asks the question if there really is enough room behind pirates doubting IF the project will get done just based upon backstage.......

Did you know backstage there is a huge CO2 holding tank just behind pirates for ODV?

The new flume would mean that the entire show building would need to be extended thus forcing the entire move of the WDI trailer camp (you can see from the monorail). And the moving of a backstage road.

Right next to the boat elevator (for boat removal) is the entire west side chiller plant right inbetween pirates and a small walk way to cross the tracks at the N.O. station.

So, which is it? Your "source" seemed so confident that hes never let you down before, and WDI says theres enough room yet JH doubts WDI and wants to ask the workers at D/L if it will get built.

BeachClubVillas

I totally love this idea! It sounds so awesome. IMO, it placates both types of fans. The purists will still have the original Walt version of PotC to ride all day, but then the thrill seekers will get a whole new adventure at night...and they won't really have to change anything. I think it sounds perfect. My only question is, do they have enough room to build a whole other set and separate ride track?

Two thumbs waaaay up on this one! I hope it's for real.

bryon1

Its possible, anything is possible just look at Indy...A cue line that goes from on stage then past the railroad tracks into the show building.

There is alot of things that will "re-route" back-stage. It just depends on how bad they want it and how much money they might save with the Hong Kong and WDW versions on making mutilple show pieces.

As was said in the WDW thread....all the parks need to fix the psst (cannon shot) and minor splash of the (cannon ball)

BigNorm

No, No, No. I wouldn't mind seeing Cap'n Jack Sparrow @ WDW. I've always heard that the WDW PotC is watered down, but in no way should WDI even think about fooling around with the original Disneyland PotC. This is sacreligious. There are some attractions that shouldn't be "tinkered" with and they are all the ones in which Walt Disney had a hand in creating. I understand that it wouldn't hurt the current sets, but if I go on PotC after dark I expect to see certain things no matter what time of day it is. I'm not anywhere near as excited about this proposal as I am Captain Jack Sparrow at WDW.

Lauriebar

ThreeCircles said:
I'm not sure, as I've never been to Disneyland, but doesn't the attraction already take place at night according to the story line?

It doesn't matter what time of day the actual storyline takes place. The change will happen when the "outside world" goes from day to dark. For instance, starting at 6:00pm every night, the ride will switch from the classic PotC storyline to a different, more menecing Curse of the Black Pearl version.

netenyahoo

I think it would be neat to have a different version of Pirates without losing the original, but I don't know about this scary version. I don't think they should have skeletons try to sink your boat. I can imagine some people freaking out and trying to jump out. You know some kids will be on the ride and be terrified. If a family is at the park all day and then finally goes on POTC at night then the poor kids are in for a frightening time. If they could make it like HM and make the skeletons not so scary then I think it could work. The movie was PG-13, so would the ride be PG-13 too?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom