Happy Birthday Wonders of Life

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
sabian said:
Wonders of life was not visited much because the powers that were decided to leave it alone. The attractions in the pavilion were the same. There never was any updating. Who wants to eat the same thing for lunch every day of their life. Same difference. Once you have done body wars and cranium command 500 times, how often and eager are you to do it again. Management problem, not pavilion.

Then the same could be said for Horizons, Toad, and quite possibly CoP then. :wave:

DarkMeasures

DMC-12 said:
Then the same could be said for Horizons, Toad, and quite possibly CoP then. :wave:

Actually, no.

Future World is supposed to remain up to date at Epcot. If, not, the pavilians will grow out of date extremely fast. I took WoL less than a decade to do so.
Horizons, suffered the same fate but at a much slower rate.

DMC-12

DarkMeasures said:
Actually, no.

Future World is supposed to remain up to date at Epcot. If, not, the pavilians will grow out of date extremely fast. I took WoL less than a decade to do so.
Horizons, suffered the same fate but at a much slower rate.

Actually... ummm yes... for CoP ...PROGRESS Yes... one would think current updated progress would show up somewhere in there... :lol:

DarkMeasures

DMC-12 said:
Actually... ummm yes... for CoP ...PROGRESS Yes... one would think current updated progress would show up somewhere in there... :lol:

The progress of a family through the 20th century. It is not ment to go past 2000, so technically it never needs to be updated again. (though I would like to see every 20 years represented).

goldenstate5

Um, I'm new, but I'm just saying that the video is great, while it may get a little TOO sappy in the end (it isn't the end of the universe), the message brought out is sweet and I agree that it should stay and be open.

But, hey, Disney management doesn't see anything in it because most of the public doesn't either. When kids and foriegn visitors are your top priority, and regular, long visitors are in the minority, who are you going to appeal to? Horizons had a fight of an even more immense scale and the wrecking ball still came through.

Oh, well, it's worth a tribute while its still open.

BTW- General Grizz, I've been searching for Cranium Command footage for a while (i.e. the entire thing, preshow/main show), and you seem to have it. Anyway for me to get hands on it?...thanks...

Bob Haller

Its sad, Disney appears running on the cheap these days:( Body Wars made me ill but thats ok.

While my friends rode that I bicycled on those animated bikes just outside BW

The ones where the more and faster you peddled the futher you got on a video tour of disneyland california.

Oddly enough that was ALWAYS a high point for me. I could never understand why the cycles werent commercially marketed. a major problem with exercise is boredom.

just stick in a DVD and tour disney, washinghton DC, or wherever you care to go:) Nice treadmil addition too.

I would buy one if its available.

BTW this is my first post here. presently planning a trip for january with a bunch of friends. sure love disney.

If your interested in me take here
http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/profile.phtml?N=H984352619

I lost well over a 100 pounds several years ago:) Walking thru disney is a LOT easier these days! picture at the very bottom:)

DMC-12

DarkMeasures said:
The progress of a family through the 20th century. It is not ment to go past 2000, so technically it never needs to be updated again. (though I would like to see every 20 years represented).

Oh I see,... so ALL Progress (as we know it) stops at Dec 31st 1999 at 11:59PM ? :veryconfu :lol: :p

Lynx04

DMC-12 said:
The thing that strikes me as funny is how everyone all the sudden cares about WoL and is complaining about how it is now closed.... yet... everytime I have gone in there in the past 5 years... when it was open... the place was a complete ghost town... Its like it was closed already...lol

Hopefully something new (weather it be a re-tooled pavilion , or a whole new pavilion or attraction) will go into the WoL area soon... and we dont have an empty/unused building in Future World for a very long time again. :) :wave:
You have a great point. I think there are a couple factors that play into this. First with the addition of Test Track and Mission Space, most people flocked to those attractions. Now both WOL and UOE are now unappealing to the GP (general public). I remember there was an 80 min line for TT a 45 min line for MS and barely anybody, maybe enough to count with your fingers over at UOE. When a person rather stand in an 80 min line over going to an attraction with no line, that indicates there is little public appeal for that attraction. The fact of the matter is when Future World started going through change to more thrilling attractions back with TT, it started a chain reaction that is not finished today and will probably keep going until the end of the decade. First TT came then Mission Space. These two attractions increased Epcots attendence because of there appeal. Unfortunitly, instead of the additional people visiting attractions like WOL and UOE, they are for the most part only going on TT and MS, even though WOL and UOE are right next door. Now with the addition of Soarin if the attendence doesn't grow at least the guest will be funneled out of the TT and MS area and placed over on the other side of future world. If the attendence does in fact rise because of the addition to Soarin, then look to see how the surrounding attractions are affected, if there is a nice boost in the surrounding attraction; Imagination, Living with the land, and The living Sea, then I would expect nothing big to change for a while with any of the attraction over on the west side of Future World. Now obviously that is not the case on the East side of Future World, long lines and high volume of traffic, so I would think that after the introduction of Soarin they will look at how the attendence and attraction volume is affected. If there is still long lines over at TT and MS, at that point look for something new to come into WOL and it would probably be a replacement attraction.

diddy_mouse

it is a shame about WOL...i will miss it dearly, but still have fingers crossed that something good will be done to the pavillion.

happy b-day WOL :(

speck76

Face it folks...WoL, along most of the original FW attractions, no longer appeal to the general public. The omnimover attractions were removed for a reason.

Yes, it is true, FW attractions were supposed to be updated regularly, but, doing so really does not give the general public a marketable reason to visit the parks. There is little or no ROI on "updated technology", and it is bad business to continue to funnel money into an asset that will not generate a significant return.

The original plan for Epcot it dead.....it was a bad business plan created by bad management....the same bad management that produced some of the worst feature animated films, the bad same management that could not manage the original cost overruns at Epcot, the same bad management that almost lead to the takeover and breakup of the company in the early 80's.

Now for WoL, the attraction was built with a look that was fashionable 1989 pretty cutting edge, but, as with most of Epcot, the look was not timeless, and it got dated pretty fast. Body Wars was cutting edge also when it opened, but simulator technology grew very quickly, and, as it is not cheap to build these rides, the ride fell out of favor with many people. Epcot can not really build a newer generation simulator and market it as Body Wars 2.0......the concept has weak marketability, and would, in my best guess, not have the impact of a Mission Space. Cranium Command's biggest problem is that it used (at the time that it was built) contemporary characters and humor.....how many kids today know who Hanz and Franz are?

The Land will really be the test if Epcot can completely change an existing pavillion and draw people back to the park. I have a feeling that if this works out, WoL could get the same treatment, although, probably much more drastic. If it does not work, I would expect to see WoL go the way of Horizons.

DMC-12

speck76 said:
Face it folks...WoL, along most of the original FW attractions, no longer appeal to the general public. The omnimover attractions were removed for a reason.

Yes, it is true, FW attractions were supposed to be updated regularly, but, doing so really does not give the general public a marketable reason to visit the parks. There is little or no ROI on "updated technology", and it is bad business to continue to funnel money into an asset that will not generate a significant return.

The original plan for Epcot it dead.....it was a bad business plan created by bad management....the same bad management that produced some of the worst feature animated films, the bad same management that could not manage the original cost overruns at Epcot, the same bad management that almost lead to the takeover and breakup of the company in the early 80's.

Now for WoL, the attraction was built with a look that was fashionable 1989 pretty cutting edge, but, as with most of Epcot, the look was not timeless, and it got dated pretty fast. Body Wars was cutting edge also when it opened, but simulator technology grew very quickly, and, as it is not cheap to build these rides, the ride fell out of favor with many people. Epcot can not really build a newer generation simulator and market it as Body Wars 2.0......the concept has weak marketability, and would, in my best guess, not have the impact of a Mission Space. Cranium Command's biggest problem is that it used (at the time that it was built) contemporary characters and humor.....how many kids today know who Hanz and Franz are?

The Land will really be the test if Epcot can completely change an existing pavillion and draw people back to the park. I have a feeling that if this works out, WoL could get the same treatment, although, probably much more drastic. If it does not work, I would expect to see WoL go the way of Horizons.

:sohappy: :sohappy: Its as if you read my mind... :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom