Countries that never made it to World Showcase

Chape19714

Original Poster
ok, i have an offical EPCOT Center book from the Walt Disney Company copyright date 1984, the year EPCOT opened, however, the book was released earlier. There were 2 of these books made, which highlighed the pavilions all around EPCOT. 1 was made with actual pictures of the opened pavilions, 1 was made with concept art of what the pavilion would like like (more rare). I have the book with the concept art, so there's where i am getting this info from. It mentiones 3 countries that were supposed to be Coming soon to World Showcase, but i notice now, they never did make it, there may still be hope, doubtful. There is a biref paragraph on what to expect from each country. here they are:

Israel:
It says, The Menorah, the symbol of the state of Israel, stands at a courtyard center, surronded by buildings reflecting the rich balance of new and old. Walk through ancient Jerusalem to an amphitheature to hear preformances of both classical and folk music. Sample native dishes under the shade of olive and cypress trees.

Equatorial Africa:
The Equatorial Africa pavilion takes you on a safri through a world of natural beauty and adventure. You'll view the drama of wild animals form the safey of a giant Calicedra tree. You will fell the electrifying energy of the "Heartbeat of Africa" show and sway to the jungle beat of the music and dance. Alex Haley, noted author of Roots, is your host for "Africa Rediscovered," and adventure uncovering Africa's ancient cultural heritage.

Spain:
Take a spectacular journey through Spain by film to the little known vacation Edens. A ride attraction captures the country's passionate heritage and spirit of her arts. In a waterside restaurant, indulge in tapas, or Spainsh-style finger food, a blend of varied ingredients. And browse the Market places of striking contrast, from pueblo village to aristocratic opulence.

Well, Israel probally had goverment problems, Africa is in the form of the Outpost, much less than planed, and it's at Animal Kingdom, and Spain could still happen, and yes, mexico was on the drawing board too.

That's what the book said, and it's not word-for-word, just very close.

Hope this provides some infor to the "countries that never made World Showcase!"
:lol:
Just thought i would share my observations. :king: :king: :wave:

KentB3

You can add Switzerland to that list. Switzerland, too, was planned for World Showcase in the mid-1980's, but also never was built. In fact, there were plans to build the Matterhorn Bobsleds at World Showcase Switzerland, just like the roller coaster at Disneyland!

miles1

Thanks for posting this, I thought I might be getting senile. I remember visiting EPCOT a year or so after it opened and seeing a sign at the "future" site of the Israel pavillion. I believe it was next to Mexico. After all these years, I thought I was imagining things in a way Walt never really intended.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Still Hope

Yes, I remember visiting and seeing "Future Home" signs as well. Israel was next to Morocco (even in those relatively more peaceful times, I questioned that location), Equatorial Africa (which went to become AK), and for some reason, I thought Sweden rather than Spain...but the brain does get fuzzy.

I'm still hoping that following a positive bounce from the current wave of improvements, that Disney revisits this to Epcot. I would love to see Russia, Greece, Thailand or India, Turkey, Switzerland/Austria...and the list could go on.

Israel would be beautiful, but in today's climate...just too much a target.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Russia.

Plus all the attractions recently mentioned that never made it. Rhine River, Venitian Gondola, American ride thru, Meet the World, Mt. Fuji, UK Vaudaville Theatre

WDWScottieBoy

KentB3 said:
You can add Switzerland to that list. Switzerland, too, was planned for World Showcase in the mid-1980's, but also never was built. In fact, there were plans to build the Matterhorn Bobsleds at World Showcase Switzerland, just like the roller coaster at Disneyland!

In another thread about what country would you like to see at Epcot, that was THE one country I would like to see there. I didn't know they ever planned on having one. I happened to live there for 4 years and would like the next country to be nothing else than my beloved Switzerland. Does anyone have concept art of this or anything in a book that might explain what was going to be there?

scottnj1966

epcot opened in 1982

Chape19714 said:
ok, i have an offical EPCOT Center book from the Walt Disney Company copyright date 1984, the year EPCOT opened, however, the book was released earlier. There were 2 of these books made, which highlighed the pavilions all around EPCOT. 1 was made with actual pictures of the opened pavilions, 1 was made with concept art of what the pavilion would like like (more rare). I have the book with the concept art, so there's where i am getting this info from. It mentiones 3 countries that were supposed to be Coming soon to World Showcase, but i notice now, they never did make it, there may still be hope, doubtful. There is a biref paragraph on what to expect from each country. here they are:

Israel:
It says, The Menorah, the symbol of the state of Israel, stands at a courtyard center, surronded by buildings reflecting the rich balance of new and old. Walk through ancient Jerusalem to an amphitheature to hear preformances of both classical and folk music. Sample native dishes under the shade of olive and cypress trees.

Equatorial Africa:
The Equatorial Africa pavilion takes you on a safri through a world of natural beauty and adventure. You'll view the drama of wild animals form the safey of a giant Calicedra tree. You will fell the electrifying energy of the "Heartbeat of Africa" show and sway to the jungle beat of the music and dance. Alex Haley, noted author of Roots, is your host for "Africa Rediscovered," and adventure uncovering Africa's ancient cultural heritage.

Spain:
Take a spectacular journey through Spain by film to the little known vacation Edens. A ride attraction captures the country's passionate heritage and spirit of her arts. In a waterside restaurant, indulge in tapas, or Spainsh-style finger food, a blend of varied ingredients. And browse the Market places of striking contrast, from pueblo village to aristocratic opulence.

Well, Israel probally had goverment problems, Africa is in the form of the Outpost, much less than planed, and it's at Animal Kingdom, and Spain could still happen, and yes, mexico was on the drawing board too.

That's what the book said, and it's not word-for-word, just very close.

Hope this provides some infor to the "countries that never made World Showcase!"
:lol:
Just thought i would share my observations. :king: :king: :wave:

Epcot opened in 1982 actually

WDWScottieBoy

scottnj1966 said:
Epcot opened in 1982 actually

I was thinking the same exact thing when I read that, but I didn't want to post it and feel really dumb to find out it's just early and it did open in 1984. I guess my thinking was right...it did open October 1, 1982. That's 11 years to the date that Magic Kingdom was open.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom