Changes and improvemens to DHS

flavious27

Original Poster
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1639/dhschange.png

I thought about this idea for a couple months ago but never really made any kind of mockups for it yet.

What I am thinking about is changing the opening plaza a little bit but mostly working on the Northeastern part of the park.

For the opening plaza, the gates will be moved to face the parking lot instead of the south lake. Along with that, the hotel boat dock will moved to the other side of the lake.

The B&B Theater will be demolished and a new theater will be built in its place. I am looking to have it have the look of the fictional studio 60 from the show, studio 60 on the sunset strip.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061012012342/studio60/images/thumb/9/96/Studio_60_Exterior.jpg/714px-Studio_60_Exterior.jpg

This theater will not only have different shows running during the day, at night there will be two or three seatings for dinner shows.

The Hollywood Hills Amphitheater will be completely demolished and remade. The new amphitheater will be a mulit-level plaza that faces the south lake, there will be shows on the lake during the day and a new night time show.

Finally, there would be a plot of land for a new attraction. The attraction would be ideally themed to fit in with sunset blvd, it could be a roger rabbit ride.

comics101

I thought about this idea for a couple months ago but never really made any kind of mockups for it yet.

What I am thinking about is changing the opening plaza a little bit but mostly working on the Northeastern part of the park.

For the opening plaza, the gates will be moved to face the parking lot instead of the south lake. Along with that, the hotel boat dock will moved to the other side of the lake.

The B&B Theater will be demolished and a new theater will be built in its place. I am looking to have it have the look of the fictional studio 60 from the show, studio 60 on the sunset strip.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061012012342/studio60/images/thumb/9/96/Studio_60_Exterior.jpg/714px-Studio_60_Exterior.jpg

This theater will not only have different shows running during the day, at night there will be two or three seatings for dinner shows.

The Hollywood Hills Amphitheater will be completely demolished and remade. The new amphitheater will be a mulit-level plaza that faces the south lake, there will be shows on the lake during the day and a new night time show.

Finally, there would be a plot of land for a new attraction. The attraction would be ideally themed to fit in with sunset blvd, it could be a roger rabbit ride.

Hmm, I never thought about having the show on the lake...that's actually really interesting. I'm curious as to how it would disrupt boat traffic though...Idk how high traffic is on the boats, but I would assume enough people take them that it could be a problem. That's the only thing though, great idea!
Is there anyway you can repost the image? It's not coming up...

flavious27

Original Poster
Hmm, I never thought about having the show on the lake...that's actually really interesting. I'm curious as to how it would disrupt boat traffic though...Idk how high traffic is on the boats, but I would assume enough people take them that it could be a problem. That's the only thing though, great idea!
Is there anyway you can repost the image? It's not coming up...

Well I always thought it was weird how they have this lake and never use it for anything but the boat transport.

Here is the linked image, I was updating it and the link may have been broken:

For the boat traffic being disrupted, it matters what the guidelines are for passing nearby objects. During the night time show, I think that disney would park some of the friendship boats near the boat dock so they can rent them out.

jt04

Well I always thought it was weird how they have this lake and never use it for anything but the boat transport.

Here is the linked image, I was updating it and the link may have been broken:

For the boat traffic being disrupted, it matters what the guidelines are for passing nearby objects. During the night time show, I think that disney would park some of the friendship boats near the boat dock so they can rent them out.

I really like the green lawns you have created and the use of space. Wouldn't it be easier (and a lot less expensive) to leave the Fantasmic seating in place and just dredge out the land to join it to the lake?

I really like the idea of floating stages and wouldn't mind seeing the idea incorporated more often.

Good work here.

PS- DHS needs this kind of help and if this thread is still around after the D23 Expo I plan to add a Lucasland to it. It is by far my best AI stuff yet. Boggled my own mind. :lol:

flavious27

Original Poster
I really like the green lawns you have created and the use of space. Wouldn't it be easier (and a lot less expensive) to leave the Fantasmic seating in place and just dredge out the land to join it to the lake?

I really like the idea of floating stages and wouldn't mind seeing the idea incorporated more often.

Good work here.

PS- DHS needs this kind of help and if this thread is still around after the D23 Expo I plan to add a Lucasland to it. It is by far my best AI stuff yet. Boggled my own mind. :lol:

They could the existing seating in place, but there would not be any land gained for another attraction. Also, I don't know what the difference in water levels will be between the lake and the pond.

As for the design of the seating, I was looking for a more relaxing setting than just bench seating to squeeze 10k people. I wanted the seating to kind of have the same feel as the area for WOC and also illuminations. So it would be a mix between grass and pathways with seating. So with that, the capacity per square foot would be smaller but the area is twice as large. Also, the land bordering the lake can also be used for guests to lay down and see the show.

As for the uses during the day, shows like the HSM "concert" can use this area with a mix of floating stages and walking through the crowds.

Well I have a path planned for a pathway to the SE potion of the park, it can modeled to look like a walk through Endor.

jt04

They could the existing seating in place, but there would not be any land gained for another attraction. Also, I don't know what the difference in water levels will be between the lake and the pond.

As for the design of the seating, I was looking for a more relaxing setting than just bench seating to squeeze 10k people. I wanted the seating to kind of have the same feel as the area for WOC and also illuminations. So it would be a mix between grass and pathways with seating. So with that, the capacity per square foot would be smaller but the area is twice as large. Also, the land bordering the lake can also be used for guests to lay down and see the show.

As for the uses during the day, shows like the HSM "concert" can use this area with a mix of floating stages and walking through the crowds.

Well I have a path planned for a pathway to the SE potion of the park, it can modeled to look like a walk through Endor.

Now I understand. Yes I like the idea of a more relaxed seating. Makes perfect sense.

I always thought such a venue would be useful for the daily grand finale of American Idol since that show is the most popular AI show. Perhaps one of your floating stages could be an American Idol stage.

flavious27

Original Poster
Now I understand. Yes I like the idea of a more relaxed seating. Makes perfect sense.

I always thought such a venue would be useful for the daily grand finale of American Idol since that show is the most popular AI show. Perhaps one of your floating stages could be an American Idol stage.

Trying to explain and design what I am thinking involves using those different elements already used in the parks while making something new and special. The venue would be better at accommodating more shows and events.

As for Idol, the grand finale could be used as the opening act for the nighttime show. I think that the experience will be more special for those competing with 10k+ people watching and then a professional show succeeding the winner being chosen.

jt04

Trying to explain and design what I am thinking involves using those different elements already used in the parks while making something new and special. The venue would be better at accommodating more shows and events.

As for Idol, the grand finale could be used as the opening act for the nighttime show. I think that the experience will be more special for those competing with 10k+ people watching and then a professional show succeeding the winner being chosen.

THAT is a great idea. The individual winners could be given "tickets" for their party and prefered seating.

I like this idea for the reason you stated but also as an opening act it would make the seasoned performers look better which is really the purpose of opening acts anyway. Looking forward to more.

flavious27

Original Poster
THAT is a great idea. The individual winners could be given "tickets" for their party and prefered seating.

I like this idea for the reason you stated but also as an opening act it would make the seasoned performers look better which is really the purpose of opening acts anyway. Looking forward to more.

Sweet, thanks.

The only thing that really matters also for this redevelopment is what will disney put in as the additional attraction, and have the building/theme fit in. I think that Roger Rabbit would be fitting, the show building just can not interfere with how the ToT meshes into Morocco at EPCOT.

jt04

I have updated the park map with the improvements I mentioned along with updated entrances and exits and a space reserved for future expansion.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7822/dhswithimprovements3.jpg

I don't mean to go all OCD on you but can you fix the ramp from world drive so it connects to a flyover (similar to the eastbound exit from Osceola). I would guess it would be a left lane exit from the sothbound lanes since there is a right hand exit near that same area.

Everything here makes perfect sense. Great job. I call dibs on the expansion area!

flavious27

Original Poster
I don't mean to go all OCD on you but can you fix the ramp from world drive so it connects to a flyover (similar to the eastbound exit from Osceola). I would guess it would be a left lane exit from the sothbound lanes since there is a right hand exit near that same area.

Everything here makes perfect sense. Great job. I call dibs on the expansion area!

Hey, being OCD about something like that is better than disney was 20 years ago. :D

I have a fly over lane added on the left side of south bound magic drive, that will drop off on the left side of the south entrance lane.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2223/dhswithimprovements4.jpg

As for the expansion area, here is an image of the area that fits in.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7986/dhpansionarea.png

flavious27

Original Poster
That land could very well provide a nice major expansion.
Theres 1 problem that could come about on July 4, and December 31, Ive heard they have to close the back area of the park because of Fireworks. Dunno how it would affect the expansion area but it would have to have some effect on it. (But not alot to where it couldnt happen)

Well for the fireworks, they can use South Lake as the launching area with the new South Lake Amphitheater and new viewing areas providing areas for the guests.

flavious27

Original Poster
I have updated my DHS map again, due to more ideas from other threads.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1310/dhswithimprovements5med.png

Improvement to opening plaza

Hollywood Hills Hotel

I moved the hat from its current location to the front of the opening plaza, I think it will look better to be right off the lake. It will also restore the original sightlines down Hollywood blvd. Also the hat could be used with the night time show along with an impressive sight at night.

The next is building a Hollywood Hills Hotel built next to the ToT. There would be a park entrance and exit for this hotel, offering wdw's first on site hotel. The look would match the theme of ToT, along with having a plaza in the middle. The top floor could have a TS and also have outside seating.

goofy donald

I moved the hat from its current location to the front of the opening plaza, I think it will look better to be right off the lake. It will also restore the original sightlines down Hollywood blvd. Also the hat could be used with the night time show along with an impressive sight at night.

The next is building a Hollywood Hills Hotel built next to the ToT. There would be a park entrance and exit for this hotel, offering wdw's first on site hotel. The look would match the theme of ToT, along with having a plaza in the middle. The top floor could have a TS and also have outside seating.

I agree that the hat would look nicer closer to the entrance, however the entire purpose of the 'weenie' concept is to draw guests to the middle of the park. It serves no purpose as soon as you move it too its new location and IMO it would be even more out of place there in that location.

I enjoy the idea of an onsite Disney hotel however that would be a nightmare to regulate park passes for guests of the hotel and weather they can or cannot enter due to their ticket restrictions etc. etc.

also as much as your Idea interests me, Ill still take my fantasmic and beauty and the beast shows, sorry to me they've almost obtained the right to be considered classics, cant get rid of them at this point.

jt04

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1310/dhswithimprovements5med.png

Improvement to opening plaza

Hollywood Hills Hotel

Yes, I really like the aesthetics and the lawn features. It has a very 40's/50's art deco vibe or am I reading too much into it? Specifically I am refering to the layout. It really is good if that is the direction you are going. Really good.

A couple concerns though. I would worry about the forced perspective issues by having an actual hotel right next to the ToT. I like the idea of a Studios Hotel, I just worry it would have to be forced perspective also and that would not allow for outside seating or even use of the upper floors for anything other than utilities.

Also, and I am losing sleep over it :dazzle:, you still have not connected World Drive to the new road. :brick::lol:

I am talking about the northwestern most gray line. It connects to the northbound side of WD. Shouldn't there also be a flyover connected to the southbound side? :shrug:

flavious27

Original Poster
Newest update to my map:

link

Added new parking lots and updated the toll booths and other infrastructure.

Also, I added a boat canal to extend the friendship boats to caribbean beach and pop complex.

flavious27

Original Poster
I agree that the hat would look nicer closer to the entrance, however the entire purpose of the 'weenie' concept is to draw guests to the middle of the park. It serves no purpose as soon as you move it too its new location and IMO it would be even more out of place there in that location.

I enjoy the idea of an onsite Disney hotel however that would be a nightmare to regulate park passes for guests of the hotel and weather they can or cannot enter due to their ticket restrictions etc. etc.

also as much as your Idea interests me, Ill still take my fantasmic and beauty and the beast shows, sorry to me they've almost obtained the right to be considered classics, cant get rid of them at this point.

Well you can think of the Mousehat as like SSE, it greets guests as they enter. It also will be a sign of reference to those guests arriving by boats. I have posted another update that will adds a boat canal to caribbean beach and the pop complex. For those guests, the hat will welcome them. The Chinese theater will serve again as a way to draw people deeper into the park.

DL has the GCH with entrances into DCA, TDS has MiraCosta fully enclosed in the park, WDW has the crescent lake resorts just outside epcot's second gate. Disney has experience with placement of hotels in or near one of their parks.

A better and new permanent theater can still have showings of B&B, it will offer disney flexibility to other shows and extend its operating hours and use. As for F!, wdw's version needs to be updated, it is showing its age and needs to be updated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom