Should there be more benefits for people staying at better resorts?

More for deluxe guests?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Disney World, is a magical experience, and I'm lucky to have a beautiful wife and children who love it just as much as I do.

Now being even luckier, I can afford to stay at only the deluxe resorts, as I will not ever stay at anything below Animal Kingdom Lodge in quality.

But.

Those deluxe resorts cost quite a bit of money, especially for a 2 week stay. Now you can drop ten grand easy, and its worth every penny. But do you think for paying that much, maybe you deserve just a little more than the family staying at Pop Century?

Like maybe a Fastpass custom built around your schedule? Or ADR's at your whim if you want them? Possibly a special extended Magic Hours for deluxe guests only?

Disney may or may not do this in the future, but other than being closer to the parks, I would not object at all to them throwing Deluxe guests a little more to stay at their premium resorts. This is where Disney makes their money.

Elitism, or its just the right thing to do?

draybook

There should be because there's no way in Hell I'd drop 10k on a Disney trip. We spent about $2500 on this last trip, which was 11 days, and that was enough for me. This years trip will run about the same, if they do free dining again.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nope. WDW is in danger of creating a class system. Fair enough, some resorts cost more than others, but to create a tier within the common ground of staying on property would be one step to far. A real us and them mentality. There is nothing to stop those with money from stopping at a mod or value; it`s purely their choice. However, those at values or mods probably do not have a choice to move up and would be unfairly penalised simply because they can`t afford it.

Matt and Kelly

Nope. WDW is in danger of creating a class system. Fair enough, some resorts cost more than others, but to create a tier within the common ground of staying on property would be one step to far. A real us and them mentality. There is nothing to stop those with money from stopping at a mod or value; it`s purely their choice. However, those at values or mods probably do not have a choice to move up and would be unfairly penalised simply because they can`t afford it.

I agree with this completely. I voted no as well.

foreverbelle

Nope. I mean when I go to the beach do I get an extra benefit because I stay at the Hilton over the local mom and pop motel?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I understand where you're coming from, but my only concern would then be that WDW makes staying at the deluxe resorts even more expensive. As in they create packages that leave you little option but to buy the add-ons being tossed around here. or else they require longer lengths of stay, or any combination. I enjoy the occasional 2-3 stay at the Beach Club or Poly, but don't need it to become even more expensive....

xtina72

You already get more, when you stay at a deluxe you then have the convenience of room service and a spa and a gym, things like that. To make it into packages? lets say...no, that I feel is going too far, its already ALOT to stay in deluxe resorts lets not give them any ideas on how to raise the prices any more.

We have stayed in AKL villas the Poly, Caribbean beach, All star....we have stayed in all the "levels" if you will of resorts....I have to say, although I love AKL and the Poly....I dont mind staying in a POP....I would rather spend less on a room, get a perfectly nice room and do more "things" you know what I mean?
For the amount of time I spend in that room, its just not worth the price to me.

CastleBound

I think that paying more always gets you more. Take food for example, I want more food, im going to have to pay. I think the same goes for Disney. The more you throw down on your trip, the more experience you should be able to enjoy.

This is not to say that staying in a moderate or value resort won't be a great time. Its just that the little extra value you pay should get you some perks..

I mean if you look at it as it already stands, You pay more for a nicer, fancier, more comfortable setting at a high end hotel or resort. We pay more for a hopper pass than a regular pass. We pay more for a high end restaurant, than a quick food stop. Its fairly obvious that if you pay more, you get more.

Its already an established fact throughout all of life, not just in Disney. I'm not gonna spend the big bucks if I'm not getting something back in return.

wolf359

I think the Disney resorts already have increasing perks and a sense of value that scales as you increase in the price spectrum. That's one of the reasons Disney can keep such high occupancy in even their highest-priced rooms, because those rooms already offer good value to those that can afford them.

The Deluxe resorts already have superior theming, location, amenities, transportation, and dining choices. I think extending special benefits based on your resort into the theme park experience is going a bit too far.

If you really do want to feel like Disney is completely bending over backward for you, I'd suggest staying in a suite on the concierge floor. The level of personal service included with those rooms really is quite special.

sbkline

I voted no as well. To me, you already get the extra perks by staying in the Deluxe Resorts. You have all of the extra ammeneties that the resort offers. If you want to spend less and stay at POP Century, then you get the ammeneties that you pay for. If you want to go all out and stay at Grand Floridian, then you get that many more ammeneties and conveniences. To me, that's where the extra perks come in. But you shouldn't get any different treatment at the parks.

Andrew54

Im all for extra benefits at the resort but Im not sure how benefits would work in the park. What would you have in mind for that?

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
The thing is, I do believe this does happen.

And example.

About 2 years ago, I was staying at the Grand Floridian with a group of 8. Everyone one night wanted to eat at Le Cellier but it was during free dining, so ADR's were impossible. One of my friends staying at Pop called the ADR number and was told no. I called a minute later, just to try, and they had one.

Lucky, coincidence, or elitism?

I remember the dinner being amazing, btw.

BigRedDad

Do we really need to get the Disney Have's and Have Not's separated further? The Grand Floridian was already pretty much designed for this to highlight this dichotomy of the US and world population and thinking of old.

Where would it stop:
1. Value resorts cannot get into the parks until 1 hour after opening and must exit 2 hours before closing
2. Moderate resorts must exit 2 hours before park closing
3. WL and AKL are the two least expensive Deluxe resorts so they are not included in the benefits of the more exclusive deluxe resorts
4. If you book a Deluxe and your Net Worth is less than $10M, then you get reverted back to benefits of any one staying at a Value resort although you splurged for Deluxe.
5. All E-Rides are only open for Deluxe resort guests between the hours of 8AM-12PM and 2PM-Closing.
6. Deluxe resorts get to sit at the front of DME bus, Moderates in the middle, and Values in the back.
7. Disney buses pick up all deluxe resort passengers first until they are in the parks, then Moderates, and finally Values.

I think the benefits of Deluxe are already there. You are paying for the ambiance, internal corridors, much better theming, and location. I for one can stay at any resort. I lived through all of this crap when I lived in Boca Raton. The South FL mentality of keeping up with the Jones's is ridiculous. I choose to stay at Moderate and Value resorts because I would rather have my money working for me so when I go my daughter never has to worry about money in her life.

The Mom

Premium Member
I agree that the extra amenities are built into the price of the resort. And it's up to the individual as to how much he/she can afford, or wishes to pay for extras.

Why should staying at WDW be different from staying anywhere else in the world? If you want special treatment, you pay for it. The beach analogy was a good example. If you pay more, you'll have a nicer place to stay, a shorter walk, a better view, and perhaps a private beach with a bar and pool nearby. But the water 1/2 mile down at the public beach will feel the same, and the weather will affect you equally.

I guess another analogy might be to ask whether a student who is receiving a scholarship should get a lesser education than someone paying full price, or should the student paying more get special perks that are not available (unless they pay a higher proportion of their tuition) to other students?

Granted, the scholarship students might have to work a part time job, and might not be able to afford a lot of extras, but once they are in the classroom, should someone get an extra 10 points on a test, etc. because he paid more?

PurpleDragon

When you choose to stay at a deluxe resort you are paying that extra money for superior themeing/ambiance and exclusive personal service and amenities at that resort and nothing more.

Simply because you booked a more expensive room does not mean that everyone affiliated with Disney should bend over backwards and give you everything you want, and on that same note people who can't afford to book expensive rooms should not be shafted out of exclusive benefits for staying on property simply because they have a lower net worth.

Sounds like Elitism to me.

sbkline

The thing is, I do believe this does happen.

And example.

About 2 years ago, I was staying at the Grand Floridian with a group of 8. Everyone one night wanted to eat at Le Cellier but it was during free dining, so ADR's were impossible. One of my friends staying at Pop called the ADR number and was told no. I called a minute later, just to try, and they had one.

Lucky, coincidence, or elitism?

I remember the dinner being amazing, btw.

When I was in college, I was signed up for an Oceanography class as part of my general Ed requirements. I decided that I would rather take this other class instead, to fullfill the same requirement. So I called the automated system and cancelled the Oceanography class and tried to add the other class. It was full, so then I tried back to re-add the Oceanography class, only to be told that it was closed as well. And this was all within 5 minutes.

So my point of that story is that when we're dealing with something where there are thousands of other people (whether guests at the WDW resort, or students at a college), chances are pretty good that just within a 3 to 5 minute time frame a spot could open up, or the one or two remaining spots could be snatched up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom