O'Sentinel - NextGen - 1/17/10

EPCOT Explorer

Disappointing EE. Just disappointing.
Predictable, jt. Predictable. :)
I'm sorry, forgot the target audience there for a second....:brick:

But, like my faux pas with Iger/Rasulo earlier, I think I'm just beat. Too much Turabian, UN Peacekeeping simulations, and discussions of the Battle of Kursk. Probably TMI for this board, but I ramble as I drift into exhaustion. Goodnight all, and good luck..... :wave:
:lol: Get a good night's sleep. You'll be all ready for tomorrow! :lol:

fyn

Do you think they will be willing to sell your data since it's all about the money? Potentially even to an insurance or employment "clearing houses". I'm not singling out Disney except for their apparent willingness to enable and perfect the technology. Which I assume they will also make available to others since it's all about the money. Maybe even to such fun loving governments as communist China or Iran. :eek:

Cause it's all about the money.

We need those regulations before the tech is developed not after.

Everything you're describing is already regulated, both at the state and federal levels. Companies already collect the information you're describing, and must comply with those privacy laws. Stop promoting ignorance, please.

WDW1974

I thought Kevin had a very interesting (and fair and balanced) column on the subject today (although the editor in me would say it is Jim MacPhee not McPhee and the true cost of DAK at opening was only around $750 million, not $1 billion).

The bottom line is the technology has a lot of pros and cons. It certainly isn't doom and gloom, but it's not all pixie dust designed for guests to have more magical Disney vacations either. It's largely something designed to improve profits and ROI, and as much as it does so in either good, bad or ugly ways, it will.

But I do take exception to the idea this will be something you choose to participate in.

While telling Disney your favorite characters is Daisy Duck, your favorite film is Beauty and the Beast, your favorite place to dine at WDW is Crystal Palace etc may well be, the tech will be built into everyone's admission media and rooms key when the system is fully operational.

So, the Mouse will be able to track you from place to place whether or not you've given massive amounts of information in advance or none at all.

I do wonder if Disney will be releasing some details in the near future to try and steal some of Harry Potter's magic ... I still firmly believe the plan for a USA/DVC AP is part all of this.

Oh ... and DDK? ... Hmm ... what could that mean?

KevinYee

Argh! MacPhee... I know this!! Sigh, it's like "independent" and "courteous" (words my brain insists on spelling as independant and curteous)... I shall have to watch for this.

hmm... DDK..... :)

WDW1974

Argh! MacPhee... I know this!! Sigh, it's like "independent" and "courteous" (words my brain insists on spelling as independant and curteous)... I shall have to watch for this.

hmm... DDK..... :)

Names drive me nuts (some here would likely say that's a very short drive anyway!) ... but for some reason Jim's name always gives folks problems ... and Rasulo too ... people always spell it wrong. If you're gonna hate on a man, at least get his name right!

But really enjoyed the column, Kev.

Thought you hit on most of the bigs pros and cons ... all of which are really just possibilities at this point.

Another thought is the $1.5 billion price tag is legit, but it isn't just for WDW. It is a 'global initiative' (you can read into that whatever you choose) ... and much of it (as I think we, and others, have said) is for things that will never affect guests one way or the other ... like the current implementation on costuming at WDW.

BTW, been meaning to shoot you an email, but have been crazy busy ... hopefully soon! :)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I thought Kevin had a very interesting (and fair and balanced) column on the subject today (although the editor in me would say it is Jim MacPhee not McPhee and the true cost of DAK at opening was only around $750 million, not $1 billion).

The bottom line is the technology has a lot of pros and cons. It certainly isn't doom and gloom, but it's not all pixie dust designed for guests to have more magical Disney vacations either. It's largely something designed to improve profits and ROI, and as much as it does so in either good, bad or ugly ways, it will.

But I do take exception to the idea this will be something you choose to participate in.

While telling Disney your favorite characters is Daisy Duck, your favorite film is Beauty and the Beast, your favorite place to dine at WDW is Crystal Palace etc may well be, the tech will be built into everyone's admission media and rooms key when the system is fully operational.

So, the Mouse will be able to track you from place to place whether or not you've given massive amounts of information in advance or none at all.

I do wonder if Disney will be releasing some details in the near future to try and steal some of Harry Potter's magic ... I still firmly believe the plan for a USA/DVC AP is part all of this.

[Dang I hate when we agree... :lol:]

My only comment is regarding the bolded portion. If the RFID is passive as opposed to active [active generally requires a power source - like the smart key to my car], they'll only be able to "track" an individual from place to place to the extent of where the media is swiped or scanned. So unless they install turnstiles at the entrances to rides [both standby and FP] and possibly even scanners on ride vehicles, the tracking will be limited to park entrance and charges to a room key within the parks, resort restaurants and stores at DTD/resorts [and entry to your room itself], all of which they can already do with the KTTW card. Anything else would require voluntary interaction by the guest by waving the RFID media over a scanner, which I think is what was meant by the option to participate.

I have an RFID building pass at work that grants initial access with a PIN code and then separate room access to rooms I'm authorized to enter by swiping the card across a reader. The card has to be within an inch of the reader to function. So my thinking is any personal interaction on an attraction would require a deliberate, voluntary action on the guest's part.

EPCOT Explorer

Everything you're describing is already regulated, both at the state and federal levels. Companies already collect the information you're describing, and must comply with those privacy laws. Stop promoting ignorance, please.
:sohappy:
Would inflation leave it around the same price?

The bottom line is the technology has a lot of pros and cons. It certainly isn't doom and gloom, but it's not all pixie dust designed for guests to have more magical Disney vacations either. It's largely something designed to improve profits and ROI, and as much as it does so in either good, bad or ugly ways, it will.I honestly think it'll be for both. It's going to impact the guest experience in a LOT of new ways, but it's going to be for infastructure, too. I don't see the problem with that, though.... The ends have to justify the means, no?

Well...Febuary and the Shareholders Meet and Greet is soon. :)

Disney's Digital Kingdom? Called it. :lol:

And...do YOU know what it stands for?

GrumpyFan

A lot of rampant speculation going on here about rumors. Of course, that's always what this site has been about, so nothing new, right? Personally, I really don't see anything sinister or evil with the rumored implementation of RFID for guests. Sure, they will be able to see almost every move and every purchase you make while visiting, but can't they do that already if you're staying on property and have a hotel key that you use for spending and dining? In all likelihood, the only thing sinister about them using RFID will be using it in ways to figure out how to get you to spend more money while visiting. Call me naive, but I don't have an issue there as ultimately, it's still my choice.

KevinYee

But really enjoyed the column, Kev.

Thank you! But I would be remiss if I didn't point out that only 60% of that column would have been in my head if I didn't jump into discussion boards (this one definitely among them) and saw some arguments, jumped into others... I'm a big believer in dialectics, and like to think I form my best opinions only after hashing out ideas with others first. That very much includes people who disagree with me - how else are we to question fundamental belief sets? In other words, this group deserves a goodly part of the praise for that column!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Thank you! But I would be remiss if I didn't point out that only 60% of that column would have been in my head if I didn't jump into discussion boards (this one definitely among them) and saw some arguments, jumped into others... I'm a big believer in dialectics, and like to think I form my best opinions only after hashing out ideas with others first. That very much includes people who disagree with me - how else are we to question fundamental belief sets? In other words, this group deserves a goodly part of the praise for that column!
Um... You're welcome? :lookaroun

:lol:

raven

I do wonder if Disney will be releasing some details in the near future to try and steal some of Harry Potter's magic ...

A very large press event is being planned for mid to late February inside of Wonder's of Life. Inside of that building, as you may already know, is where the test lab for the NGEP has been for well over a year now. I'm not confirming it's for the project but I find it odd that they would use WOL for any other press event. Even though Epcot's F&G Festival will be starting early this year (March 3rd) I don't believe they would call a huge press event for that. So let the speculation continue.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
What are the dates for the shareholders' meeting again? You would think Disney would be smart enough to make one or two announcements there....:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom