Spirited WDW Observations, News and Provocative Comments

EPCOT Explorer

When Photopass took over the MK a few years back, they wanted to wear their global costumes on MSUSA.

Phil Holmes took that to task and kept the theming.

Phil Holmes isn't your problem. He doesnt create or control the budget. I'm aiming at bigger fish. He's the devil i know and i don't have a problem with him.
But at the same time, the MK has had large problems under him.

At the same time, some things are getting better. The Kingdom has twice looked better since 2006, at least to me.

Like you said, the Devil you know. :lol:

Oh I wish he would come back. If anything, he should have Rasulo's job.

Heck, just put him in Meg's spot. Or Wallace's.

Where did Ouimet go anyway? The Gap?

janoimagine

Much merchandise space has disappeared so the store can now have a line of ECVs and double-wide strollers go through it. It really is sickening. These things should be banned from the stores. How lazy must one be to use them inside? This is unheard of in the foreign resorts and much, much, much less of an issue in Anaheim. Ultimately, management is saying it's kewl because they're making it easier for people to use these things when the rational (and even healthy) response would be the opposite. Bottom line is fat lazy people mean more chaos in shopping. Not that it matters as it's been years since I bought anything at that store.

Thank you for saying this. First, let me say that for those of you who legitimately need these methods of transportation, this comment is not directed at you. However I see these things being abused by the overweight and non-disabled on a alarming basis, and this is not limited to WDW. However it (WDW) does seem to have the greatest concentration of them. I have had my feet run over by these things, had my ankles smashed, and seen several accidents where people were going to fast and run into children. It has to stop. I wish a they would put some type of policy into effect that would require a doctors/physicians note in order for you to have one in the parks. Put the turkey leg and 64oz soda down, get a single scoop instead of a triple, and get up and walk. Seriously.

tirian

Thank you for saying this. First, let me say that for those of you who legitimately need these methods of transportation, this comment is not directed at you. However I see these things being abused by the overweight and non-disabled on a alarming basis, and this is not limited to WDW. However it (WDW) does seem to have the greatest concentration of them. I have had my feet run over by these things, had my ankles smashed, and seen several accidents where people were going to fast and run into children. It has to stop. I wish a they would put some type of policy into effect that would require a doctors/physicians note in order for you to have one in the parks. Put the turkey leg and 64oz soda down, get a single scoop instead of a triple, and get up and walk. Seriously.

Quoted for Truth.

PhotoDave219

At the same time, some things are getting better. The Kingdom has twice looked better since 2006, at least to me.

I think MK is in good hands with him at the moment. At least he seems hell bent on keeping theming and trying to keep show. I'm not going to fault him for the Stitch overlay and the MILF - hard to have 'non-offensive comedy.'

However I do question his entertainment cuts. At least the Citizens of Main Street are still there, along with the Main Street Band.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think MK is in good hands with him at the moment..
Debatable. He`s watching what he does now more with Burbank looking over his shoulder, but Space Mountain can be blamed squarely at him along with countless other items. PotC? His. The HM was also his, and shows what he is capable of when he wants, but this was a pet project close to him personally so it wasn`t ever going to fail.

PhotoDave219

I give you both of those but I'm going back to the whole 'Devil we know' mentality.

Could you imagine if some beancounter or HR person was in charge? Holmes may be responsible for the whole SM debacle but could have it been better if someone like Meg Crofton was in charge of the MK?

Bolna

I don't want to bother everyone with even more DLP talk (it already seems to confuse people on the topic about which studios are talked about), but I wanted to do a few short replies since I appreciated your input! :wave:

2007.... the studios was a building site, right? The work done there when seen today is phenonomal. The park isn`t perfect by a long shot but the placemaking, Tower area and Crush were a huge step in the right direction.

Plus you have the most lavish MK to date right next door :D

The Pixar area was already open and it was the only part of the studios I liked! It is actually pretty cute and we got to meet Remy. :king: Tower was a building site. So I am a bit optimistic regarding improvement there!

First, I see you are from Germany. A close friend of mine is over there for a New Year's vacation now ... not that it has anything to do with this thread but ...

I am praising DLP because I've found that, except for merchandise and killing Lion King and Tarzan stage shows for the much weaker Mickey's Magical Party, the place is improving across the board.

And that if offers a much better template to begin with (at least comparing DLP to MK, that's laughable).

I will say, to be fair, that I never visited in the 1990s and realize much was lost/dumbed down since. But I'm wowed everytime I am there. I can't say that about MK.

I'm thrilled to be an APer at DLP again, after a few year lapse, and look forward to getting back there in 2010. :xmas:

Hope your friend has a great vacation here in Germany!

Since I am not a fan of stage shows, I really don't mind that they aren't improving in this regard! And on the merchandise: this was actually one thing we liked in 2007. I was impressed by the choice in Disney women's clothing which was very wearable.

Thanks for your comment, it does really sound very promising! To be fair, 2007 was much better than 2003 and if things are as you say, I think 2010 might see me on a short trip to Paris again!! You are right that DLP is just breathtakingly beautiful - I mainly go to the MK at WDW only for Splash Mountain and the TTA.

It's still BY FAR the ugliest, most souless Disney park ever created. Some great attractions, but so cold and empty in feeling (makes places like DCA and TPKaTD-MGMS seem like masterpieces of Imagineering).

I agree. I think that might be the reason why I actually rather liked DCA when I first saw it - I was expecting a disaster like the WDS.

DLP and the hellish studios will always suffer from the location, and the Parisian attitude that infects those that work there.

Unfortunately, yes. One thing I love about WDW is the friendliness of CMs and guests. It seems that continental Europeans and theme parks don't go well together...

EPCOT Explorer

I think MK is in good hands with him at the moment. At least he seems hell bent on keeping theming and trying to keep show. I'm not going to fault him for the Stitch overlay and the MILF - hard to have 'non-offensive comedy.'

However I do question his entertainment cuts. At least the Citizens of Main Street are still there, along with the Main Street Band.
That and upkeep has improved.

But then, see Martin's post...

Debatable. He`s watching what he does now more with Burbank looking over his shoulder, but Space Mountain can be blamed squarely at him along with countless other items. PotC? His. The HM was also his, and shows what he is capable of when he wants, but this was a pet project close to him personally so it wasn`t ever going to fail.
...Two big things in that are gaping holes in MK. Pirates looks ok, but what could have been is always a factor, especially with SM.

Entertainment, yes. SSC Stage rubs me the wrong way.

WDW Vacationer

Heck, just put him in Meg's spot. Or Wallace's.

Where did Ouimet go anyway? The Gap?
President of Operations at Corinthian Colleges Inc. He worked for Starwoid Hotels until 2008 after leaving Disney.

EPCOT Explorer

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2009/12/new-disney-parks-chief-faces-big-challenges/

Its the Strategic Planning History part that i dont like. If you read DisneyWar, thats where good ideas went to die.

He seems like a numbers guy, not an idea man. Numbers guys are supposed to find a way to make the ideas work. But they dont.

Ah...Confirmed what I already knew, and suspected. I still am taking a wait and see approach. Seeing that he's being groomed for CEO and a successor to Iger, I don't think he can be THAT bad. I quite like Iger and what he's done with the rest of the company...he just needs to turn to WDW.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

yoyoflamingo

I didn't notice anything with sale signs (and I look), but I have heard from a CM pal they did start 50% off on the stuff when I was there ... it may simply have rung up at that price, but it sure is a dumb way to do things.

I don't like buying dated items because ... well, they're dated. Who would want to wear a WDW 2005 tee in 2009 (assuming that it wouldn't have disintegrated by now)? I did buy a lot of Y2K stuff (more pins) thinking they'd have some special value. Considering what a nightmare most of ths 00s have been, I think that wasn't smart on my part!

Never made it into WoD in three visits to DD. It just looked like a madhouse and I like almost every other shop more. ... I'm curious, though, the WDCC figures they were offering for $20 ... what were there? All PoC? How many different ones?

Character Connection at Property Control said it had six (all PoC) and that most went on 'Black Friday' which clearly wasn't entirely true if they were selling them to APers at WoD a week later. While I absoluley don't think they're worth anything close to the $200 tags they supposedly retail for (this isn't 2006 where folks had money and credit), I also know they are certainly worth more than $20. I would have bought more as gifts if I didn't have my Benz packed to the point there was barely room to breathe!:xmas::xmas::xmas:

Sorry for the lateness, just saw this.

The WDCC at the WoD were Pirates of the Caribbean indeed, just 2 (the pirate on the bridge, and the Redhead/auctioner set). This was Dec. 5. We also headed to Poperty control, and they has only the Auctioneer/rehead set for $20.

And the 50%, we didn't know until we heard the CM announcing it, and another CM told us in a shop. I agree, very foolish with no signs, but WDW doesn't seem to know how to handle much anymore, does it. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom