New FL area will be called Fantasy Forest

Anywho, The Oasis is DAK's Main Street. I don't the hub would work as a land... I mean there's nothing really there. I hope they just leave the Fantasyland name alone, and just make the FF a subland with FL overall.
The Hub is DAK's Disvoery Island. That has:
The Tree of Life= The Partners Statue
ITTaB= Dream Along with Mickey
MJJP=CaDCT

So why does Discovery Island work but The Hub wouldn't?

WDW Vacationer

It's an honor in my eyes that I get to entertain people in possibly the most famous Disney park role. Making the magic is the best thing I could possibly ever do.

Yea, I get what you're getting at, but the Oasis goes all the way to the entrance. Basically The Oasis is DAK's Main Street.
Its people like you who are the picture perfect CMs everyone thinks about,and the ones I like to talk to. Great!:wave:

Are you still working?

_Scar

The Hub is DAK's Disvoery Island. That has:
The Tree of Life= The Partners Statue
ITTaB= Dream Along with Mickey
MJJP=CaDCT

So why does Discovery Island work but The Hub wouldn't?

What? Discovery Island also has a restaurant, an actual 3-D show, and long animal trails.

The statue being on the list of attractions was a joke. Dream Along with Mickey I guess is okay, but the parade isn't just in the hub and they'd be grasping for things to put on the list if they put this. It just does not work.

WDW1974

well.. I was going to reply to some of the concerns about DCAs theme, but um, most of you have never ever been there so what's the point?! Does it even matter?

really, I don't understand why this discussion is relevant. Most of you here have never been to, and probably will never visit DCA in your lifetime. Why are you all so passionate about the park? it seems like the discussion automatically switches to DCA when there is nothing new to discuss about the new FL... odd :lol:

as for the California theme.. it is here to stay. everything at the Blue Sky Cellar points to that fact. Everything from the video which talks about Walt's early days in Los Angeles, to the Carsland poster which describes about the Route 66/ California connection. (a land that, according to Disney, will feature the biggest attraction they've ever built.) The vineyard/winery, Grizzly Peak, proposed Hollywoodland, seaside pier, Pacific Wharf.. everything leads back to the California theme.

Buena Vista Street is described as the following. this alone confirms that they are not shying away from the CA theme (and i'm personally glad about that):

I haven't read more than a few pages of this thread ... and frankly I was hoping some of the fanbois here could tell me when Disney is making Uni move Spidey from IOA to MK and when I can enjoy the Fantastic Four meet and greet that's going to come to EPCOT (do I really need a sarcastic smilie here?)

I wasn't even going to really add anything as, thankfully, so much of this Fantasyland/Marvel/D23 news went down when I was lucky enough to be on a 'sabbatical' from this MAGICal realm.

That said, I do feel this point nails home a lot.

I don't know how many fanbois have been critical of DCA since Day 1 without so much as ever setting foot in the park ... perhaps, I should be. After all, how many fanbois have never been to DL and are always about DL having a 'tiny' castle.

But without ruining my online rep as a Disney hater, I have enjoyed DCA since Opening Day (yeah, I was there for it) even though it was severely flawed. And I enjoy it greatly now. It IS a Disney quality park right now. It has a better attraction lineup and a better overall product than TPFKaTD-MGMS.

The park will be better, much better in the next few years. And they are working hard to 'attempt' to keep things tied to the California theme (which isn't and hasn't been the park's problem, despite fanboi drivel to the contrary).

There are certainly things that are fair game for criticism, but picking on Cars Land wouldn't be at the top of my list (except perhaps for the name, I'd have kept Route 66, even in the new location). And even having a Mermaid attraction next to the PP wouldn't either.

I'm a lot more concerned with things like the MK, where every land has become Disney toon centric. Or EPCOT, where FW is all over the place.

But that's me. I see that DCA is a good park today that may well be a very, very good park in 2-3 years.

Besides, again, wasn't this board created to handle the thousands of posts associated with all the new meet and greets coming to MK!:ROFLOL:

_Scar

Back to the "Fantasyland is all meet and greets argument". I guess it's stupid to say DCA having Little Mermaid next to the Pacific Ocean is a bit OFF, but you can assume that this new Fantasyland is just offering meet and greets; dear god rofl. I'm all for this new DCA. DCA needs to be polished a bit, and I have a feeling they will pull it off and DCA will be a great park worthy to be next to Disneyland. The whole argument is what fits this strong California theme they've presented. And all the two new rides and WoC are all toons! Contradiction. Cmon now...

Just consider that DCA was made at the same time as TDS. Then say DCA is Disney quality. I just can't see it! Do I have to step foot into the park to see it? I really don't know. Help.

sponono88

Back to the "Fantasyland is all meet and greets argument". I guess it's stupid to say DCA having Little Mermaid next to the Pacific Ocean is a bit OFF, but you can assume that this new Fantasyland is just offering meet and greets... dear god rofl

Just consider that DCA was made at the same time as TDS. Then say DCA is Disney quality. I just can't see it! Do I have to step foot into the park to see it? I really don't know. Help.

You do realize TDS had a much bigger budget to work with thanks to OLC (something like 4 billion dollars.) For a US park DCA will be Disney quality, especially in 2-3 years.

I'm all for this new DCA. DCA needs to be polished a bit, and I have a feeling they will pull it off and DCA will be a great park worthy to be next to Disneyland. The whole argument is what fits this strong California theme they've presented. And all the two new rides and WoC are all toons! Contradiction. Cmon now...

Um... WoC, TLM, Carsland are only some of the additions.. the rest of the billion dollar makeover includes adding a more cohesive theme to the existing lands. I won't bother going into that because quite frankly I don't want to discuss this any further :shrug:

_Scar

You do realize TDS had a much bigger budget to work with thanks to OLC (something like 4 billion dollars.) For a US park DCA will be Disney quality, especially in 2-3 years.

Disney could of very easily built TDS instead of DCA. Disney makes lots of money, and TDS didn't even cost them anything. If anything, they made money from TDS for all the Imagineering involved.

Um... WoC, TLM, Carsland are only some of the additions.. the rest of the billion dollar makeover includes adding a more cohesive theme to the existing lands. I won't bother going into that because quite frankly I don't want to discuss this any further :shrug:

The 3 main additions attration-wise are all related to movies. Contradicting his arguments. What are you trying to get at? :lol:

WDW1974

Back to the "Fantasyland is all meet and greets argument". I guess it's stupid to say DCA having Little Mermaid next to the Pacific Ocean is a bit OFF, but you can assume that this new Fantasyland is just offering meet and greets; dear god rofl.

I'll take a bit off (and that's all it is) on Mermaid when you're talking about adding a $120 million E-Ticket immersive attraction.

But my comment WAS SARCASTIC and meant to be taken that way. F-land is a lot more than meet and greets, starting with the Mermaid clone to begin with.

The biggest thing to me is that Temporary Tent Land will die a long-coming death and that true theming will come to this land. The tournament tent 1955 DL-model that still exists in 2009 MK is beyond tired, tacky and simple.

After spending time at DLP and DL back-to-back, it is amazing how much MK sucks both overall in comparison and most especially on the F-land front.

The shops in Paris are more immersive than MK's F-land rides.

I'm all for this new DCA. DCA needs to be polished a bit, and I have a feeling they will pull it off and DCA will be a great park worthy to be next to Disneyland. The whole argument is what fits this strong California theme they've presented. And all the two new rides and WoC are all toons! Contradiction. Cmon now...

WoC is a night spectacular on the bay. I don't think it's theme really is an issue. It will fit just fine.

And to make your point stronger, you do realize that Carsland will actually have THREE toon-themed attractions, right? A spinner and new generation flying saucers are coming are themed to Cars. And let's not forget the Silly Symphony Swings or Mickey's Fun Wheel or Goofy's Sky School.

Do I have to make your point for you?:lol:

There's a whole lotta toons coming to DCA. But I can easily argue they fit so much more than Nemo does at EPCOT or Buzz Lightyear, Monsters and Stitch do in Tomorrowland etc.

I (again, Disney hater here according to a poll of fanbois conducted by FOX News and Propaganda) firmly believe DCA is Disney quality. Now, there are degrees of said quality and I sure wouldn't put it on par with DL or DLP or DAK or TDS when it comes to immersiveness.

But there are many online who compare it to Six Flags and parks of that ilk and that's just laughable. As is the assertion that DCA is lacking in quality attractions.

Right now, DCA has plenty of top shelf Disney quality attractions:
Soarin;
ToT;
Disney Animation (the best of any of these type attractions);
Aladdin (the best theme park show I have ever seen);
Screamin (a great thrill ride that isn't too rough for most ages);
Grizzly River Rapids (I hate these type of rides, but this is a good one);

Those alone would be placed in the E-Ticket type category if it existed.

Then you have stuff like:
TSMM (some would even place this higher);
It's Tough To be a Bug (if you think it's quality in Orlando, it is here too! and IMHO it's the best of Disney's 3D efforts);
MuppetVision (tired, but see above);
Monsters (solid C ticket dark ride);
Mickey's Fun Wheel (love it just for the amazing views);

And as kids areas go, Bug's Land is done very, very well (I even enjoy two of the rides).

That's leaving out food and retail as well ...

Comparing DCA or anything to TDS isn't fair because TWDC isn't going to spend what OLC did. That's just a reality. ... OLC views things so differently it's amazing. I recently read their Annual Report and kept hearing how important guest happiness was (you won't find that in TWDC AP) and while quality was emphasized all the time, I never read the words 'Disney magic' or 'brand' anywhere.

So, you wanna compare DCA to say DAK or TPFKaTD-MGMS or DSP? Go ahead. But TDS just isn't a fair comparison.

And I do think that people need to experience things like theme parks before judging. They aren't the type of thing that you can get a real feel for thru the Internet (just another reason why technology has its bad sides). Theme parks are visceral experiences ... they need to be experienced. Not thru photos or Youtube. Through your senses.

And again, understand who you are talking with ... I am the polar opposite of a management apologist here. But I am fair and balanced.

WDW1974

Not quite so high. I believe the park was a bit over $2 billion. When you add in the monorail system and the Hotel Mira Costa as well as infrastructure you get close to four billion.

Now, to be fair to Scar and the DCA critics, when you take what DCA originally cost (about $650 million) and add all the quick fixes ... everything from concerts to bringing back MSEP to X-Games to Bug's Land to ToT to Monsters to Aladdin to TSMM to WoC AND THEN add the makeover, DCA will wind up being pricier than TDS in 2001 ... the cost will just be spread out much longer and on many different budgets.

That's a VERY pertinent point here. The entire entrance area and Buena Vista Street will be designed to look like the LA of the 1920s that greeted Walt when he arrived from the midwest. The Red Cars will certainly be eye candy as well as transport/attraction.

The Hollywood Backlot will eventually resemble more of Hollywood of the 1930s (like ToT already does).

And the plans for Condor Flats are to make the area more like the California National Parks and include attraction ideas that carry this thru and do not include toons.

EPCOT Explorer

Wow. The person who spoke about renegging on their belief in reading everything before posting at, like, the 15th page, had nothing to complain about. I just finally made it through all 37 pages after about three days of reading. So... let us begin...

Scar is correct. The theming link is loose at best. While I've not seen the movie, it seems that Radiator Springs is in Arizona, and the ride is named Radiator Springs Racers, appearing to take place there.

The Little Mermaid is a Scandanavian tale and a Disney Movie. These rides can just be put in the Studios because its themed to movies and TV, so anything based on a movie or TV show will fit thematically (RnRC takes place in Hollywood). Had the Little Mermaid been in a Hollywood themed area, it would have slid. However, it doesn't fit as much in a seaside area. I understand the concept of being based on seaside dark rides, but that connection has to be shown. Have billboards in a sideshow style displaying the seaside rides with words describing them like you would see describing a sideshow. Describe the Little Mermaid as "A thrilling dark ride into the silver screen and through your favorite cinematic adventure" or something as such. That's all that would be necessary to make it fit thematically.

The World of Color fits a retheming to Walt Disney's experience in California, but not really California in itself. If there's a big nightime spectacular that takes place in a central location and can be seen or heard in a sizeable portion of the park, it should have a unifying theme that encapsulates the park or at least the portion of the park in which it takes place. The nighttime spectacular in DCA should be based around California. They could have had an exciting show that showcases the various sights and cultures of the state rather than one that showcases Disney movies. Saying that the movies were made in California is really stretching it.

Think of it this way. Imagine that Disney's America was realized. Lets say that they had a log flume based on Brother Bear, a Beauty and the Beast dark ride, and a water show based on the Wonderful World of Disney. Would any of these things fit? Brother Bear take place in Canada, but it is in a large mountainous region with pine forests, much like one would see in the Rockies or the Pacific Northwest. I mean, come on, there's plenty of places like that in America, and we know how tied into wildlife the American people are. It's just over the border. Close enough. Beauty in the Beast is a French tale and a Disney movie, and doesn't fit in with the American theme. Still, we'll theme the outside to fit in with the Miami area it will be put in. As for the night-time show, the Wonderful World of Disney aired in the US, and was created in the nation, so it fits, right?

No. None of that friggin' works. It sounds ludicrous. I'm not saying that this is ruining the park, but it doesn't fit thematically and is greatly off-message from the exploration of California that the park appears to be moving towards.

Scar stated this, but people directly contradicted him, while not rally disproving it. Thus he repeated his point, but because of his repetition, he was branded a troll, which I think is unfair. As it went back and forth, cross words were exchanged. It was all a big misunderstanding, but I'm glad it was resolved.

THIS guy is a troll. :lol:

What is this whole S.E.A. thing. I've been away for a bit and I seem to have missed something here. Something... exciting.

That coaster in the concept art definitely looks like a recolored Barnstormer. As was said before, that looks to be the lift hill that's already there, not a loop.

Am I one of the only people who hope that the Treehouse remains? Is it possible to build an E-Ticket around it, perhaps looping through the tree. They could get rid of the walkthrough attraction and have an attraction where the track weaves through the branches of the tree, or perhaps the tree could be the queue for an adventure-themed ride.

And E-Ticket is an attraction that is of a grand scale. It's a Small World is a huge ride with elaborate sets and hundreds of animatronics. It's an E-Ticket. Any roller coaster larger than the Barnstormer is a large-scale attraction, and thus an E-Ticket. While Country Bear Jamboree was originally an E-Ticket, I'd now consider it a D. Most shows where you're in a theatre watching animatronics (CBJ, Kitchen Kabaret, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln) are a solid D. The exceptions are American Adventure and Hall of Presidents, because of the size and scope of the show, both of which are over 25 minutes long. At that length, it's a big show. I'm kind of on the fence about 3-D movies. I dunno. How about D+? E- sounds too negative. I also think that the definition of an E-ticket is subjective to the park. For instance, almost everything in EPCOT would be considered an E-Ticket in the Magic Kingdom. Universe of Energy and Journey Into Your Imagination come to mind. They would be E-tickets in MK, but they're standard in EPCOT, and don't stand out as much.

And finally, the actual point to this whole discussion. Yes, there was originally a point. Fantasy Forest works, but I wouldn't like two seperate lands to have such similar names.

Wow. This is the most topsy-turny, multiple-topic thread I've ever had the pleasure of reading, and considering my tenure at Starmen.net, that's saying a friggin' lot. I'm probably forgetting something, but this has gotten long enough already. Have fun reading it all. Consider it payback for me reading the last 37 pages.

Society of Explorers and Adventurers! :D It’s a club I launched based off a group of the same name that resides in Tokyo DisneySEA. It’s the hope of several members on here that Disney takes this franchise and runs with it, ala POTC. :D

WDW1974

Disney could of very easily built TDS instead of DCA. Disney makes lots of money, and TDS didn't even cost them anything. If anything, they made money from TDS for all the Imagineering involved.

Nope. They couldn't have. It's just not that simple.

TWDC couldn't have justified spending that much on a second gate in Anaheim to its shareholders and Wall Street (rightly or wrongly) for starters. The reason Westcot (the worst name for a potential park ever) didn't get built in large part was cost.

Then add in the fact that TDS works as well as it does because it is a park based on sea themes that is ON Tokyo Bay.

Then look at the space in Anaheim. The park wouldn't have fit ... not in its current form.

It wasn't a DCA or TDS debate. It was originally an Anaheim vs. Long Beach (for the Port Disney project, which would have been very kewl but wasn't TDS ... it included everything from animal exhibits to a version of Paradise Pier to a terminal for the DCL) debate.

Then it was a DCA or nothing debate.

sponono88

Not quite so high. I believe the park was a bit over $2 billion. When you add in the monorail system and the Hotel Mira Costa as well as infrastructure you get close to four billion.

Now, to be fair to Scar and the DCA critics, when you take what DCA originally cost (about $650 million) and add all the quick fixes ... everything from concerts to bringing back MSEP to X-Games to Bug's Land to ToT to Monsters to Aladdin to TSMM to WoC AND THEN add the makeover, DCA will wind up being pricier than TDS in 2001 ... the cost will just be spread out much longer and on many different budgets.

That's a VERY pertinent point here. The entire entrance area and Buena Vista Street will be designed to look like the LA of the 1920s that greeted Walt when he arrived from the midwest. The Red Cars will certainly be eye candy as well as transport/attraction.

The Hollywood Backlot will eventually resemble more of Hollywood of the 1930s (like ToT already does).

And the plans for Condor Flats are to make the area more like the California National Parks and include attraction ideas that carry this thru and do not include toons.

You also have the Victorian architecture and theming going into Paradise Pier. One side of the pier (Games of the boardwalk, TSMM) is already completed, and the other half is still stuck with neon signs, clowns, and bright paint. The visual contrast between both sides is striking, and it proves that the DCA expansion is more than just the addition of a few rides.

The remodel of the pier began with the Midway Mania building and will soon transform the rest of the boardwalk, ending with Goofy's Sky School, SS swings, and TLM building among others.

Midway Games Exterior - Before and After

Midway Game - Before and After

A couple weeks after the games re-opened, the prizes were changed from the generic kind to Disney-themed ones

WDW1974

They should have gone with their original plan and built WestCOT Center instead. :D

That's easy to say and the concept was certainly more ambitious, but fanbois aside I have my doubts as to how successful it would have been.

The community also fought back against the idea from almost the start.

The focal point was originally supposed to be a giant geodesic dome (not sphere like SSE) that was going to include 3-4 EPCOT attractions ... I believe SSE, Journey into Imagination and Horizons were all supposed to be inside this massive structure.

But locals complained about how huge it was going to be and it would have wreaked havoc with sightlines at DL. At some point, Disney dropped this out entirely in favor of a Golden Spire at the center (this was actually carried into the original concept for DCA before it was replaced with the giant sun or 'hubcap' as Al Lutz is fond of calling it. I don't know what Disney was going to do in Westcot 2.0 to make up for losing the huge showbuilding.

And let's not forget that most of the attractions proposed were EPCOT knockoffs that no longer exist in Florida because they were getting tired and were pricey to keep up with all the AAs. It's shortsighted to assume that Anaheim's large AP crowd wouldn't have gotten just as tired.

The World Showcase type area was going to be combined into regions like Asia, the Americas, Europe with hotel rooms above the area to block out Anaheim. How well this would have worked is debatable as well.

The key ride would have been a boat ride that would have been 45 minutes long with numerous stops in the areas with show scenes on the history and cultures as you traveled. While it may get fanbois wet with excitement, one must wonder how it would have worked in practice.

Both Westcot and Port Disney were worlds more ambitious than DCA. You could say they were TDS scale. But whether either would have been worth the investment is a very tough question to answer. They wouldn't have been sure fire hits and while I think they would have done better out of the gate than DCA, I can't say (and neither can anyone) that they would have continued to grow and not be a drain on the company.

I do firmly believe there was a middle ground between spending billions and building DCA on the cheap. And that was what Disney should have taken.

WDW1974

You also have the Victorian architecture and theming going into Paradise Pier. One side of the pier (Games of the boardwalk, TSMM) is already completed, and the other half is still stuck with neon signs, clowns, and bright paint. The visual contrast between both sides is striking, and it proves that the DCA expansion is more than just the addition of a few rides.

The remodel of the pier began with the Midway Mania building and will soon transform the rest of the boardwalk, ending with Goofy's Sky School, SS swings, and TLM building among others.

Absolutely.

The difference is like night and day.

But WDI has already been the victim of cutbacks. A themed cover for King Triton's Carousel was ditched. As was an ornate cover for the Funwheel queue. And a beergarden concept for the area with a pizza joint (actually very kewl themed to CAL's surfing culture) and the shuttered in-park McD's will be turned into a Victorian food court type place.

And plans for the Screamin queue as well as what will happen to Maliboomer (a Green Army Men parachute drop attraction was dropped early on, but still exists in the huge model in the Blue Sky Cellar).

Those things are all worrisome because they are Phase I. ... And one wonders what they bode for Phase II.

panther726

After spending time at DLP and DL back-to-back, it is amazing how much Paris are more immersive than MK's F-land rides.

I have never stepped foot in a Disney park outside of Orlando. However, I don't like it when people compare DLP and DL to MK. MK is one of FOUR Disney parks. The rides at DL and DLP are spread out throughout Disney World. Look at that list of rides. I'm sure if you put them all into MK, you wouldn't have an argument. Disney World spread all of those unique attractions throughout their four parks.

Like I said, I have never stepped a foot inside any Disney park outside of Orlando. But it doesn't sound like a fair fight to me.:shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

I have never stepped foot in a Disney park outside of Orlando. However, I don't like it when people compare DLP and DL to MK. MK is one of FOUR Disney parks. The rides at DL and DLP are spread out throughout Disney World. Look at that list of rides. I'm sure if you put them all into MK, you wouldn't have an argument. Disney World spread all of those unique attractions throughout their four parks.

Like I said, I have never stepped a foot inside any Disney park outside of Orlando. But it doesn't sound like a fair fight to me.:shrug:
Agrred, but it's still sensable to compare two versions of the same ride.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom