disney vs. other theme parks

popkid

Original Poster
this past week i've been to six flags great adventure in NJ, and dorney park & wildwater kingdom in PA and it got me to thinking about something...

i'm sure i don't have all the facts - but if these parks maintain, and fund thier own attractions - why does disney (which i gather is probable the largest theme park of all - at least attendance wise) require corporate sponsors for it's attractions.

admission to six flags is the same price as WDW, and i doubt they even come close to making near what disney makes on merchandise...

again, i'm sure there's lots more that goes into this - it was just my thought of the morning (pre-breakfast mind you) so go easy on me if i've completely overlooked something...

JAY-ROD

Originally posted by popkid
this past week i've been to six flags great adventure in NJ, and dorney park & wildwater kingdom in PA and it got me to thinking about something...

i'm sure i don't have all the facts - but if these parks maintain, and fund thier own attractions - why does disney (which i gather is probable the largest theme park of all - at least attendance wise) require corporate sponsors for it's attractions.

admission to six flags is the same price as WDW, and i doubt they even come close to making near what disney makes on merchandise...

again, i'm sure there's lots more that goes into this - it was just my thought of the morning (pre-breakfast mind you) so go easy on me if i've completely overlooked something...

well i'm thinking that disney attractions are more expensive then the other parks. plus they have maintence cost to deal with and such. And if a sponsor had there name on the one of a kind disney attractions, plus it the best toursist place. so it could provide the sponsors more exposure. but who knows thats just a guess. :)

Herbie53

Premium Member
I agree with Jay-rod that Disney rides probably cost more to build and maintain, but I think the real reason they have sponsors is because they can. Disney puts out a product that sponsors know they can use to their benefit. For example, AT&T's sponsorship of Spaceship Earth makes perfect sense and benefits both parties. Looking at other parks though, I can't really picture anyone sponsoring a plain steel coaster.

MrPromey

First off, I'm not familiar with Wildwater Kingdom but Six Flags is not a theme park. It's and amusement park. And there are big differences between the two. As for the sponsorship stuff. Disney stuff costs LOTS more. Consider the new attraction Mission Space. The costs for it have been reported through official sources to be estimated at between $150 & $200 million. Compare this to the new Bush Gardens Rhino Rally which they tout as there most expensive attraction ever at around $20 million. Most steel coasters cash in at $15 million and under meaning that if Disney wanted to, they could fill their parks with these thrill rides for a fraction of the price they pay for development of many of their own attractions. All this aside, the sponsorship thing is not exclusive to Disney. Universal relies heavily on sponsors, especially in the florida Studios park. Paramount also has sponsorship in their parks which are comparable to a six flags in quality. Bush Gardens who, to my knowledge has never had any sponsors (beyond the advertisement of their own beer and snack food) is even now jumping on the bandwagon with "sponsor decals" on their Rhino Rally jeeps for companies such as Wendy's and MSN although they claim that the sponsorships are to support the theme of the ride as a race. The funny part is that this is supposed to take place in Africa. MSN does not provide internet service anywhere on that continent and as far as I know, there are no Wendy's restaurants over there either. A Wendy's and MSN vehicle sponsorship wouldn't go too far over there for them ;)

Disneynut

We need to keep in mind that WDW is a huge operation. I would think that Six Flags or DorneyPark, would fit in the parking lot for the MK. Also, consider what you get for your money at WDW. Great themeing, immaculate parks (despite what Mlewis says) and for the most part well-behaved patrons. So if Disney needs sponsors to keep up the show, I say go for it.

bobaloo000

As a season pass holder to Six Flags I can tell you they have made a lot of improvements over the last five years. It is cleaner, better maintained and they have added a lot of new attractions. They also know how to treat season pass holders, we have our own parking lot and admission booth!

No, its not WDW, but the season pass family pack runs about $275 + $20 for parking so its a good value. Also, they have done a very good job theming in recent years.

Still, I'm looking forward to our two weeks in Disney in August, there is still no place like it for me. Although, I am very unhappy about some of the corporate decisions lately concerning the parks and the animation studios.

WDWFanatic

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure Warner brothers owns the six flags theme parks. Universal is or was owned by Segrams, and Paramount bought kings island, kings dominion, etc. amusement parks. This is why their rides and attractions have gotten better. I remember when paramount came to kings dominion, The entire park was redone, landscaping and rides. I was really impressed.

Attachments

• pluto08a.gif
    pluto08a.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 246

MrPromey

No, its not WDW, but the season pass family pack runs about $275 + $20 for parking so its a good value. Also, they have done a very good job theming in recent years.

No, the price of a FL residents annual pass for Disney is I believe $265 and the parking is included in this price. That's also for all four parks. The six flags deal is actually quite a bit more expensive when you compare the two considering what you get but then again, when you live close to a Six Flags and don't live close to WDW there really is no way to compare the two.

bobaloo000

Originally posted by MrPromey

No, the price of a FL residents annual pass for Disney is I believe $265 and the parking is included in this price. That's also for all four parks. The six flags deal is actually quite a bit more expensive when you compare the two considering what you get but then again, when you live close to a Six Flags and don't live close to WDW there really is no way to compare the two.

$265 per person? The price I quoted, $275, was for a family of four.

Holiday

Many years ago Six Flags (Great Adventure) had a sponsor for it's water ride (Moviewtown Water Effect?). I can't remember the exact company, but I know it was for soap! I don't know about other sponsors, as I haven't been there in a while.

Holiday

amethyst21

$265 per person? The price I quoted, $275, was for a family of four.
if you break it down six flags is $295 inc parking for Four people for one park. That's $73.75 per person per park. WDW is $265 inc parking for one person but for six parks (if you include the water parks), which works out at $44.16 per person per park. My reckoning that's 41% cheaper for WDW. (but maths has never been my strong point.)

Kamikaze

if you break it down six flags is $295 inc parking for Four people for one park. That's $73.75 per person per park. WDW is $265 inc parking for one person but for six parks (if you include the water parks), which works out at $44.16 per person per park. My reckoning that's 41% cheaper for WDW. (but maths has never been my strong point.)

Thank you for the senseless 9 year bump.

WildcatDen

(but maths has never been my strong point.)

Your strong point is, no doubt, grammar. . . Which math are you talking about? Roman or Metric? Twigs or Berries?

Of course, the initial cost for a family of four is a lot more painful on the bank account at Disney. Using your math logic (just choose one): $1,000 + is still more than $300.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom