All Epcot, All the Time (aka Has Disney given up on SSE?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPCOT Explorer

Holy **** those photos are incredibly AWESOME!

( drools profusely )

:):):):)

I just came back from EPCOT a few days ago Gang, and had to comment on the SSE Decent ( getting back on topic....i guess you could say....)

It sucks.

No, worse then that...it is very bad show. Have you guys actually taken the time to block out the video monitor and LOOK UP?? Ahhh! It is really really BAD show....

Okay, i know Disney is not finished yet...but crikey, it shows and this is not good! I rode three times and enjoyed it immensly until...well, you know when. When the video monitors flashed on, the first impulse was to immediately cover the screen. When i did...oh the things you could see....

This is probably not news to you guys, but i had to comment. Wires, mesh, spinning motors ( from the track above), bits of trash dropped from above...more wires, bits of black fabric here and there, other random items..oh yeah, and triangles too.

Yeah i know...Guest Average is not going to be seeing all of this as they will be enjoying the video presentation. For EPCOT purists though, we tend to look everywhere ..exspecially in the places where your focus is not supposed to be. After riding or experiencing a attraction multiple times, one gets in the habit of looking EVERYWHERE at everything you average Guest would not probably pay any attention to. The SSE decent is just such a example: Only us regualr 'World-Philles' will pick up on the poor quality of the decent tunnel. Guest Average will be too busy watching tv in the dark to notice....

:(

I sure hope they have something planned to improve the decent.
Care to enumerate on the Motors and "other items" as you put it?:D:wave:

Glad you had a good trip, BTW.

Figments Friend

Yeah i know.....but it's such a cheap way out of bringing something REALLy entertaining and inspiring to the masses.

Nothing irritates me more then when they change over a cool attraction with lots of AA's, film, effects, etc and replace them with tv screen. It is such a cop out! I know i know......we have all talked about this topic before....but i had to bring it up. Sure some attractions can use them as a plus ( can't think of any off the top of me head...but surely there must be at least one...) but in most cases it is just the low budget way to 'improve' a attraction.

Sadly it is true...Guest Average of today knows no other form of entertainment ( live or otherwise..). They only know to stare at a screen to be entertained or stimulated. Gee, i am really starting to feel like a old fart now.....i rememeber a time when EPCOT was full of animated wonders and special displays galore. Now it's mostly tv screens and interactive games, but i cannot deny that this is pretty much what the public in general seems to want ( cuz' they simply do not know how good it COULD be!)

Grrrr.....how much money you wanna bet tv screens will find their way onto the new Space Mountian vehicles??

Nooooooo......

Surely they will add them into the new JII vs.4 vehicles. Absolutely no doubt there in my mind...

NOOOO!!!!!!!

:cry:

Figments Friend

Care to enumerate on the Motors and "other items" as you put it?:D:wave:

Glad you had a good trip, BTW.

Thanks! I had a fab time. Already plotting next trip! :D

Okay, the spinning motors. Now i am no expert when it comes to the track layout on SSE, but i was left with the impression after my multiple rides that the ascent track was directly above the decent track. Is this so? It sure sounded and looked like it....but again, i am no expert. You guys probably know every inch of the inner core of the place.

As you were about half way down the descent, and the ceiling starts getting to the point where it is right above your head, you cannot help but hear the whirring motors of what sound like the ascent mechs. The trash and bits of debrits also made it appear as though it was items riders above had dropped. They were all visable through the black screening that covered the ceiling in this area. Again, Guest Average would probably not be looking up and see this clutter...but i saw it plain as day.

Now the other 'random stuff' i was talking about...a lot of hanging wires. Also the black curtains which we all know about already...they seemed to be all over the place, even above now. I really wish they would put in more fiber optics in this decent tunnel....it would not take away from the video presentation at all and would greatly enhance the 'feeling' of traveling back to Earth.

The Triangles all look the same as when i last saw them ( Sept of 08'). Nothing new there. Some have blue uv paint on the edges, but again, this is old news probably. If they painted more of them like this, and added in a few uv spots, it would be more interesting then what it is now.

Again, i realize they are not done with it yet....but i feel they could at least better cover some of this 'tatty' looking areas to give it a more professional look. This is WDW man! The impression is of a building that was just gutted of everything useful, and quickly spray painted black to hide the damage. One time going through it actually felt like you were touring a burned out building....yeah, it was that bad in places.

It just needs a little TLC....and it will be just as fantastic as the rest of SSE is.

SirNim

The impression is of a building that was just gutted of everything useful, and quickly spray painted black to hide the damage. One time going through it actually felt like you were touring a burned out building....yeah, it was that bad in places.
Don't you know that it's supposed to be a thematic connection to the Fall of Rome? :lookaroun :p

EPCOT Explorer

Thanks! I had a fab time. Already plotting next trip! :D

Okay, the spinning motors. Now i am no expert when it comes to the track layout on SSE, but i was left with the impression after my multiple rides that the ascent track was directly above the decent track. Is this so? It sure sounded and looked like it....but again, i am no expert. You guys probably know every inch of the inner core of the place.
As you were about half way down the descent, and the ceiling starts getting to the point where it is right above your head, you cannot help but hear the whirring motors of what sound like the ascent mechs. The trash and bits of debrits also made it appear as though it was items riders above had dropped. They were all visable through the black screening that covered the ceiling in this area. Again, Guest Average would probably not be looking up and see this clutter...but i saw it plain
as day.

Now the other 'random stuff' i was talking about...a lot of hanging wires. Also the black curtains which we all know about already...they seemed to be all over the place, even above now. I really wish they would put in more fiber optics in this decent tunnel....it would not take away from the video presentation at all and would greatly enhance the 'feeling' of traveling back to Earth.

The Triangles all look the same as when i last saw them ( Sept of 08'). Nothing new there. Some have blue uv paint on the edges, but again, this is old news probably. If they painted more of them like this, and added in a few uv spots, it would be more interesting then what it is now.

Again, i realize they are not done with it yet....but i feel they could at least better cover some of this 'tatty' looking areas to give it a more professional look. This is WDW man! The impression is of a building that was just gutted of everything useful, and quickly spray painted black to hide the damage. One time going through it actually felt like you were touring a burned out building....yeah, it was that bad in places.

It just needs a little TLC....and it will be just as fantastic as the rest of SSE is.
Interesting...I wonder if those two tunnels DO line up....:lookaroun

Martin?:lol:

mcjaco

^ I believe each of them are on seperate sides of the entrance ramp. One goes up on the left as you enter, the other is coming down on the right side.

The load/unload are two seperate turntables next to eash other soe the track forms a S. At least that's what I recall seeing.

I'll await Martin, since we all know he's hiding a blueprint somewhere. :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

^ I believe each of them are on seperate sides of the entrance ramp. One goes up on the left as you enter, the other is coming down on the right side.

The load/unload are two seperate turntables next to eash other soe the track forms a S. At least that's what I recall seeing.

I'll await Martin, since we all know he's hiding a blueprint somewhere. :lol:

That's what I was thinking...:lol:I think they curve away from each other.

hpyhnt 1000

I like the current entrance better.

:lookaroun

*Ducks from Flying Eggs*

*Grabs Spring Action Shooter and starts firing eggs back*

:lol:

You won't see any flying tomatoes from me. :wave: I also think the current entrance is much better and much more pavilion appropriate than the slab of concrete and half dead palm trees that used to welcome you to The Land.

Now, where's Martin. I really want to see those blueprints. :D

EPCOT Explorer

You won't see any flying tomatoes from me. :wave: I also think the current entrance is much better and much more pavilion appropriate than the slab of concrete and half dead palm trees that used to welcome you to The Land.

Now, where's Martin. I really want to see those blueprints. :D

Ok, don't get me wrong...I LOVE the new sign. The water feature it has is epic.

But all those darn trees! GAH! They look so overgrown and just put there i n front of one of the most impressive facades of FW. Disney is known for their horticulture...They don't show it off in front of the Land...Where it could and should be the best it can be.

Glad they still have the pattern on the berm, though.^^;

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Okay, the spinning motors. Now i am no expert when it comes to the track layout on SSE, but i was left with the impression after my multiple rides that the ascent track was directly above the decent track. Is this so?
Hey all!
You mean the ascent and descent tubes? They aim at eachother, but are side by side for a short distance before splitting up again. They are never above and below eachother. Yep, I do have something somewhere...

hpyhnt 1000

Ok, don't get me wrong...I LOVE the new sign. The water feature it has is epic.

But all those darn trees! GAH! They look so overgrown and just put there i n front of one of the most impressive facades of FW. Disney is known for their horticulture...They don't show it off in front of the Land...Where it could and should be the best it can be.

Glad they still have the pattern on the berm, though.^^;

Actually, I couldn't care less about the water feature on the sign (its nice but, eh, and - I kinda liked the old signs that used to be mounted on the mural rather than the current ones) but getting back to the main argument...

To me, that is what makes the new entrance much more appropriate. The land (as in the actual land) is not always prim and proper and perfect. Its wild and free, and may not always be visually pleasing at first glance. However, it is out of that chaotic environment where the true beauty of the land is shown - the fact that it has no boundaries, no straight lines, no readily apparent order. Manicured and methodical flower beds and palm trees may look pretty, but they are hardly, I feel, an accurate representation of the landscapes and ecosystems that surround us, and for a pavilion touting itself as a place that represents the many different environments of The Land, they are not the best representation. :eek: :shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It`s a bit basic but it shows the point:

Attachments

• SSE track layout.jpg
    SSE track layout.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 65

Figments Friend

Hey all!
You mean the ascent and descent tubes? They aim at eachother, but are side by side for a short distance before splitting up again. They are never above and below eachother. Yep, I do have something somewhere...

Thanks Martin. Now it makes me wonder what those motors were whirring above my head were....

I swear it looked as though the ascent/decent tube was the same..at least for a short distance..with the track above the other. I can see this would not really work as all us EPCOT fans know the ride is on a wide table-like base with the track running alongside each other...or along those lines.

The 'new' SSE is great....they just need to FINISH it!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Speaking of overgrown foliage, I consider the park to becoming overgrown. Now, I love trees and greenery as much as the next person, but as you said The Land is hidden far too much. Much like Wonders - though this was part of the plan - and around showcase, Mexicos great detail is obscured and the ammount of RoE viewing spots are severly limited. Nothing big is needed, just a little, well, pruning.

EPCOT Explorer

Actually, I couldn't care less about the water feature on the sign (its nice but, eh, and - I kinda liked the old signs that used to be mounted on the mural rather than the current ones) but getting back to the main argument...

To me, that is what makes the new entrance much more appropriate. The land (as in the actual land) is not always prim and proper and perfect. Its wild and free, and may not always be visually pleasing at first glance. However, it is out of that chaotic environment where the true beauty of the land is shown - the fact that it has no boundaries, no straight lines, no readily apparent order. Manicured and methodical flower beds and palm trees may look pretty, but they are hardly, I feel, an accurate representation of the landscapes and ecosystems that surround us, and for a pavilion touting itself as a place that represents the many different environments of The Land, they are not the best representation. :eek: :shrug:

Travis...I have no idea how you pulled that out of a overgrown planter in a theme park.:lookaroun:lol:

Welcome to a new epoch of Fanboyism!:ROFLOL:

Seriously though...I do understand what you are saying. But if I want the rugged beauty of nature, I'm gonna go to a National Park. I'm not gonna look for it in WDW of all places (at least in the parks). The area in front of The Land should be a reflection of something natural, but something we can use for our benefit, now, and in the future. I would recommend more trees that are shorter and don't distract from the dome. Also, some more water features ( a waterfall, perhaps?) could be added.:shrug::eek:

Figments Friend

Speaking of overgrown foliage, I consider the park to becoming overgrown. Now, I love trees and greenery as much as the next person, but as you said The Land is hidden far too much. Much like Wonders - though this was part of the plan - and around showcase, Mexicos great detail is obscured and the ammount of RoE viewing spots are severly limited. Nothing big is needed, just a little, well, pruning.

Agree, though a part of me likes the 'grown in' look happening there at the moment. The Land though would look nicer however if it was cut back a teeny bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom