Slash and Burn ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Try the media outside the US - they`ll be honest and tell you how screwed the western world is. WDW is having somewhat of a kneejerk reaction and it`ll be regreted in the long run. In part TWDC is to blame. Orlando is not a cash cow with an endless supply of money. It`s time they realised that.

You and I both know that it has been Burbank's policy since the mid-90s that WDW exists largely as an ATM for the company as a whole.

But hey ... look at all dem magical timeshares!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokielutz
Quality today is par with everyone else.

Oh, I'm betting there will be many that disagree with that statement.

Sign me up for the head of the line.

I tried Ford (three times). I tried GM/Pontiac (once). I tried Dodge (once).

They only way I'll ever own an American car (or since many foreign brands are built here now I should say a Big Three car) is if someone gives me one for free.

I've never had an American car that wasn't horribly built with 2-3 of the cars verging on what I'd call 'lemons.'

I now drive Mercedes and Hondas. Great cars. No little problems (you know like bumpers that can't hold paint -- Ford ... or automatic windows that don't work for the three years you own the car no matter how many times the motors are replaced -- Dodge).

No. I am a proud owner of a German car and a Japanese one and there is no comparison to the American crap I used to drive.

Sometimes I'll see a new Ford Mustang and think 'that sure would be fun to drive ... so long as I didn't have to own it!'

WDW1974

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buried20KLeague
Mr. Yee filed another interesting report that is close to the topic being discussed at hand...

http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky121608a.htm

And again, I can't argue with him.

He even used the term Walmart. 74, you gonna sue? :lol:

Nope. Many others have used it.

I'm sure some people here won't believe it, but one marketing exec brought the term up at TDO and there was a very ugly incident and she was told she'd lose her job if she ever quoted me again. Stuff like that warms the cockells of my heart.

But no one better steal the title of the book I am thinking of writing: WalMarting Walt Disney World: How MBAs, Consultants and Outsourcing Destroyed the Magic!

TP2000

I remember Disneyland in 1996 (so not WDW) and how just being there in December gained you access to very special and unique holiday offerings that you didn't have to pay more for.

Disneyland is still like that in 2008, only more so. Now Disneyland offers Christmas fireworks, Small World Holiday, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Santa's Reindeer Roundup in the Big Thunder petting zoo with live reindeer trucked down from Alaska, and far more decorations all over the park instead of just Main Street and the Hub.

I would dare say Disneyland does three times the amount of stuff for Christmas now in '08 than it did back in '96 when they were just getting started on the Christmas push. Every year they seem to add more and more. This year it was the LED Christmas Tree and the Main Street garlands that put on the show when it snows three times a night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlD-jbFrcZQ&NR=1

I've just learned that WDW doesn't start doing the Christmas parade for regular day guests until right before Christmas Day. That's just bizarre compared to Disneyland. Seriously, I was flabbergasted, and I can't figure out how Magic Kingdom Guest Relations isn't stormed by angry customers at the end of each December day without a Christmas parade.

I simply don't understand how WDW gets away with some of the stuff it has been doing in recent years. Which, I suppose, is the point of this whole thread. :D

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I simply don't understand how WDW gets away with some of the stuff it has been doing in recent years.

Because if reading here is a gauge, Its Disney, just be thankful they have been willing to take your money, put up, shut up and worship the Mouse in all his asinine glory.

Complaints will be ridiculed, complainants demonised, there is only one orthodoxy anything else is heresy. On your knees and kiss those red shoes.

MousDad

I'm sure some people here won't believe it, but one marketing exec brought the term up at TDO and there was a very ugly incident and she was told she'd lose her job if she ever quoted me again. Stuff like that warms the cockells of my heart.

I thought marketing execs were untouchable. How was the term used, out of casual curiosity?

JWG

Stuff like that warms the cockells of my heart.

Aha! Now we've identified who you are! Clearly, by this statement, you must be Dennis Leary - which would also explain the more doom and gloom type persona (not meant to be a criticism, some people are all roses even when posting a negative, some aren't).

You really have to be familiar with Leary's stand-up to get that reference. Which, considering he hasn't really done any in 13-15 years, might date me a bit.

PhilharMagician

Slash and cut WDW and send WDW profits to HKDL. Keep milking the cash cow. :brick:At least 500 million is going into DCA :D. Just keep smiling because MK is getting a stich stage show and a partial Space refurb! Maybe. :hammer:
WDW doesn't need anything new because it already attracts more people than any other vacation destination in the world. Since it is so popular we are going to try and reduce services and entertainment to maximize our dollar today and only today.(yes this is loaded with sarcasm)

From Variety magazine on 11/16

HONG KONG -- Disney is offering to fund expansion at the money-losing Hong Kong Disneyland theme park.

But plans to develop the site have yet to be approved by Hong Kong's government, which is the park's majority owner, and it may demand changes in the shareholding structure.
The Mouse House's commitment was made clear Monday in a submission to Legco, the territory's equivalent of a parliament, by HKDL managing director Andrew Kam Min-ho.
"Hong Kong Disneyland Resort is the first priority of the Walt Disney Co.'s investment in Asia. Despite the economic uncertainty, we are confident of the growth potential of the resort," Kam said.
The funding offer is separate from the HK$3.26 billion ($420 million) that Disney loaned the park to repay commercial loans that were due in September to 26 banks. The park has had 15 million visitors since opening in September 2005.

wvdisneyfamily

I will allow this ing match to continue as long as you all remember to keep it civil. No personal attacks of any type, no insults, etc.

I have better things to do than watch you guys (as this thread has been dominated by males and their chest pounding :lol:) try to impress each other with your knowledge. ;)

This gets my vote for post of the month. :sohappy:

We could sell out Bank Atlantic Center...:lol:

Head to Sawgrass after...:lol:(They have a Disney Character Warehouse!):lol:

Will you be taking Paypal for these tickets?:D

Buried20KLeague

Aha! Now we've identified who you are! Clearly, by this statement, you must be Dennis Leary - which would also explain the more doom and gloom type persona (not meant to be a criticism, some people are all roses even when posting a negative, some aren't).

You really have to be familiar with Leary's stand-up to get that reference. Which, considering he hasn't really done any in 13-15 years, might date me a bit.

It actually warms below the cockelles. Maybe even in the sub-cockelle area. (love that disc!)

Buried20KLeague

Slash and cut WDW and send WDW profits to HKDL. Keep milking the cash cow. :brick:At least 500 million is going into DCA :D. Just keep smiling because MK is getting a stich stage show and a partial Space refurb! Maybe. :hammer:
WDW doesn't need anything new because it already attracts more people than any other vacation destination in the world. Since it is so popular we are going to try and reduce services and entertainment to maximize our dollar today and only today.(yes this is loaded with sarcasm)

From Variety magazine on 11/16

HONG KONG -- Disney is offering to fund expansion at the money-losing Hong Kong Disneyland theme park.

But plans to develop the site have yet to be approved by Hong Kong's government, which is the park's majority owner, and it may demand changes in the shareholding structure.
The Mouse House's commitment was made clear Monday in a submission to Legco, the territory's equivalent of a parliament, by HKDL managing director Andrew Kam Min-ho.
"Hong Kong Disneyland Resort is the first priority of the Walt Disney Co.'s investment in Asia. Despite the economic uncertainty, we are confident of the growth potential of the resort," Kam said.
The funding offer is separate from the HK$3.26 billion ($420 million) that Disney loaned the park to repay commercial loans that were due in September to 26 banks. The park has had 15 million visitors since opening in September 2005.

On a business trip last Spring, I spent a day at HKDL. Could not BELIEVE how small it was. There's no way to even really describe it. I walked from the corner of Tomorrowland (at the autopia) over to the Jungle Cruise (the opposite edge) and it maybe took 30 seconds. I'm probably being generous. And there was hardly anything to do. I was done with the whole park within a few hours, and that included the FotLK show.

I completely understand why they're infusing the money. The park is empty. Everyone over there was excited about the resort coming, but then felt very short changed once it opened. Plus there's a competing park not that far away that's much larger and has tons more attractions. I think this was a case of Disney feeling like it was smart to stick their toe in the open door, and worry about opening the rest of the door later. No one planned for the economy to do what it has.

Sorry. Back to your regularly scheduled topic...

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I think this was a case of Disney feeling like it was smart to stick their toe in the open door, and worry about opening the rest of the door later. ...

So what you are saying in a round about way is Disney still hasn't learned that to open a half built parks isn't popular. The spirit of Eisner is alive and well :eek:

MousDad

On a business trip last Spring, I spent a day at HKDL. Could not BELIEVE how small it was. There's no way to even really describe it. I walked from the corner of Tomorrowland (at the autopia) over to the Jungle Cruise (the opposite edge) and it maybe took 30 seconds. I'm probably being generous. And there was hardly anything to do. I was done with the whole park within a few hours, and that included the FotLK show.

I completely understand why they're infusing the money. The park is empty. Everyone over there was excited about the resort coming, but then felt very short changed once it opened. Plus there's a competing park not that far away that's much larger and has tons more attractions. I think this was a case of Disney feeling like it was smart to stick their toe in the open door, and worry about opening the rest of the door later. No one planned for the economy to do what it has.

Sorry. Back to your regularly scheduled topic...

74 raves about HKDL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom