New Disneyworld.com survey about Chat/Forums

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I was clicking around disneyworld.com to check to the refurb calendar and a pop-up invited me to take a guest survey. It's all about chat/online forums/wikis and other features they're considering for Disneyworld.com

I took the survey and stressed my interest in them offering ACCURATE information for people. They also asked which websites i visit for forums and such - and they mention disboards by name at one point (foo, should mention wdwmagic)

Here's a blurb describing some of the features:

Walt Disney World is considering a web site that will allow Guests to share their vacation experiences and discuss topics related to Walt Disney World Resort. Guests will get perspectives from people like themselves who have visited Walt Disney World and know all of the “do’s and don’ts” first hand. From question and answer sessions, to personal experiences detailed in blogs, to ratings and reviews of everything Walt Disney World has to offer, the web site will give Guests all the information they need to plan and book their vacations. Walt Disney World will edit responses to remove inappropriate language, but all other entries will be posted “as is” to allow Guests the chance to read real feedback from real people. Everyone can use the site to read general comments and feedback, but Guests must register in order to create their own postings.

The site may include features like:
Personal Profiles: Your profile includes information about you, your family and your Walt Disney World vacation plans. Some information is private which means that other members can’t see it. Other information can be made public so that members can identify and connect with you. Guests will be able to choose which information they want to share.
Search: Guests can search for a range of information within the site including other members (people with similar vacation needs, families, vacation experiences, etc.); photos and videos; and customized maps highlighting other Guests’ favorite activities.
Ratings and Reviews: Read reviews and ratings of Walt Disney World resorts, parks, attractions, vacation packages, golf and dining. Registered members can also post their own ratings and reviews.
Messageboards: Read, contribute and start discussions to help you plan your Walt Disney World vacation. The most helpful and popular contributors will be given special “expert” status to celebrate their value to the site and to help other guests find them.
Blogs: Write your own personal journals or read journals created by other members. Journals cover a range of subjects including vacation planning and capturing memories of previous vacations.
Wiki: Read and contribute to a factual “library” of descriptions of Walt Disney World. The facts are written and maintained by members, not the Walt Disney company.
Live Chat: Get behind the scenes details by joining scheduled live sessions where members can talk to Disney Cast members.
Photo sharing: Upload and share your personal Disney vacation photos with other members.
Map sharing: Create customized maps to highlight your favorite park activities and share them for other community members. Learn how other members made their way through the parks by viewing their customized maps.
Q&A Forum: Post Walt Disney World questions and comments to a “community certified” panel of experts. Each member will have a rating score, based on feedback from other members, qualifying them as an expert.
Syndication: Publish your favorite Disney community content (such as photos, messageboard discussion topics or personal journals) on other community websites that you use.

RiversideBunny

Two things I would comment on:

1. What's in it for WDW to do that and go to the trouble of maintaining the site and monitoring it? They already advertise everywhere.
How would such a site add to the profits?

2. The people participating in the site would be from widely different levels of interest in WDW, ranging from one-time vacation visitors to hard core WDW fans.
That's true for wdwmagic also, but the Disney site would probably be more heavilly weighted toward casual fans.

:)

EpcotServo

Two things I would comment on:

1. What's in it for WDW to do that and go to the trouble of maintaining the site and monitoring it? They already advertise everywhere.
How would such a site add to the profits?

2. The people participating in the site would be from widely different levels of interest in WDW, ranging from one-time vacation visitors to hard core WDW fans.
That's true for wdwmagic also, but the Disney site would probably be more heavilly weighted toward casual fans.

:)
Which is funny, because if they don't cater towards our crowd, they'd have no "experts" to post!
:lol:

Vernonpush

I was clicking around disneyworld.com to check to the refurb calendar and a pop-up invited me to take a guest survey. It's all about chat/online forums/wikis and other features they're considering for Disneyworld.com

I took the survey and stressed my interest in them offering ACCURATE information for people. They also asked which websites i visit for forums and such - and they mention disboards by name at one point (foo, should mention wdwmagic)

Here's a blurb describing some of the features:

Walt Disney World is considering a web site that will allow Guests to share their vacation experiences and discuss topics related to Walt Disney World Resort. Guests will get perspectives from people like themselves who have visited Walt Disney World and know all of the “do’s and don’ts” first hand. From question and answer sessions, to personal experiences detailed in blogs, to ratings and reviews of everything Walt Disney World has to offer, the web site will give Guests all the information they need to plan and book their vacations. Walt Disney World will edit responses to remove inappropriate language, but all other entries will be posted “as is” to allow Guests the chance to read real feedback from real people. Everyone can use the site to read general comments and feedback, but Guests must register in order to create their own postings.

The site may include features like:
Personal Profiles: Your profile includes information about you, your family and your Walt Disney World vacation plans. Some information is private which means that other members can’t see it. Other information can be made public so that members can identify and connect with you. Guests will be able to choose which information they want to share.
Search: Guests can search for a range of information within the site including other members (people with similar vacation needs, families, vacation experiences, etc.); photos and videos; and customized maps highlighting other Guests’ favorite activities.
Ratings and Reviews: Read reviews and ratings of Walt Disney World resorts, parks, attractions, vacation packages, golf and dining. Registered members can also post their own ratings and reviews.
Messageboards: Read, contribute and start discussions to help you plan your Walt Disney World vacation. The most helpful and popular contributors will be given special “expert” status to celebrate their value to the site and to help other guests find them.
Blogs: Write your own personal journals or read journals created by other members. Journals cover a range of subjects including vacation planning and capturing memories of previous vacations.
Wiki: Read and contribute to a factual “library” of descriptions of Walt Disney World. The facts are written and maintained by members, not the Walt Disney company.
Live Chat: Get behind the scenes details by joining scheduled live sessions where members can talk to Disney Cast members.
Photo sharing: Upload and share your personal Disney vacation photos with other members.
Map sharing: Create customized maps to highlight your favorite park activities and share them for other community members. Learn how other members made their way through the parks by viewing their customized maps.
Q&A Forum: Post Walt Disney World questions and comments to a “community certified” panel of experts. Each member will have a rating score, based on feedback from other members, qualifying them as an expert.
Syndication: Publish your favorite Disney community content (such as photos, messageboard discussion topics or personal journals) on other community websites that you use.
Since they can't keep their own websites up to date that they have now, how are they going to handle this?

It just seems like they want to copy Steve's WDWMagic for themselves. It seems kind of sad.

"Q & A Fourm: Post Walt Disney World questions and comments to a “community certified” panel of experts. Each member will have a rating score, based on feedback from other members, qualifying them as an expert."
And steve tried this, but it was abandoned quickly.:shrug:

WDWFREAK53

The second it becomes a "community"...it'll go downhill and probably just shut down.

Disney will not be the host of an online community that has the potential to become riddled with arguments, bickering, name-calling, and "know-it-all's" putting everybody down.

It just comes with the territory...if you get thousands of people in one area to discuss things...you're definitely going to get the above mentioned things.

fyn

I disagree with everyone claiming this will fail. Plenty of official boards succeed, they just require strict moderation.

I think Disney should have done this sooner.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Do you really think a Disney owned/operated forum will allow people to post "Gee, the new DVC at the Contemporary is ugly" and let that stand?

Or.. maybe have 2 years worth of "Gosh, i wish they'd tear down the Epcot Wand" like we had here?

Oh - and would an official forum appreciate "Hey look! Permits for building the new unannounced ride!" and other such posts?

If anything, it would point out how blatantly at times Disney is disconnected from its fanbase. As it is, we can pretend they just dont hear us. Well, Disney is proposing an official acknowledgement of Whoville and with that Disney can't pretend Horton is just hearing things.

lilredfoxie

I wonder how it will be if people post rumors and stuff on there and reports on their refurbs and stuff, things that make this place so great :king:

I have a feeling it wont have the cool smileys like wdwmagic has :king::hammer::ROFLOL:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
How much you wanna bet everything will a "dreamy" themed background and you'll get to post.. "I like Disney!" and that's about it?

Seriously, when they did the Dream thing, they denied posting my dream of celebrating Epcot's 25th. Foo on them.

kubfish

Would be interesting and its obvious a lot of you knocking this do not have a good understanding of the online world as we have it today and in the future.

People want to talk dis but how many people, who are not net savvy make or post on message boards.

I feel this is a good niche/online arena that WD should get into. A WD moderated board may promote such a thing. People talking about your product is always a positive, even if they content has some negatives. Lots of advertising to be done in this arena.

btw my comments have nothing to do with this site. Its my favorite "magic" site. However just looking at the larger picture. A site from WD would not affect this site at all but if done right could be very beneficial.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Kubfish - what about Disney's choice to blatantly lie about their intentions with projects through their PR people?

They are, to date, not building at DVC at the Contemporary.

The changes to SSE only deal with the interior attraction.

Amoung others..

fyn

Do you really think a Disney owned/operated forum will allow people to post "Gee, the new DVC at the Contemporary is ugly" and let that stand?

Or.. maybe have 2 years worth of "Gosh, i wish they'd tear down the Epcot Wand" like we had here?

Oh - and would an official forum appreciate "Hey look! Permits for building the new unannounced ride!" and other such posts?

If anything, it would point out how blatantly at times Disney is disconnected from its fanbase. As it is, we can pretend they just dont hear us. Well, Disney is proposing an official acknowledgement of Whoville and with that Disney can't pretend Horton is just hearing things.

I don't think an official Disney board would serve the same purpose as WDWMAGIC. I see this as adding value to both Disney and future guests. Instead of waiting on the phone to speak with a reservation agent, you can post a question that can be answered by a Disney rep, or a forum expert. In the latter case, Disney is saving tons of money. Instead of interacting with 1 guest at a time, they're interacting with thousands. For the guests, they'll have a whole wealth of information (via the wiki), as well as a place to talk about the things they loved.

I think the frequent criticism and unfortunate flaming of management's decisions won't stay on that board for longer than a minute or two if properly moderated. While I think criticism is important (when done tastefully), that won't be the point of their board, and I have no problem with that. Disney isn't making a site for people to bash their decisions. They're making a site to inform and excite their future guests, and providing a sense of community to people who share a passion for Disney.

The two sites (their potential board, and WDWMAGIC) will have some overlap, but won't serve the same purpose.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
But Disney says they wont change what people say - only remove explicit content.

How do you review a ride like Figment's Journey into Horridness without mentioning that Disney made a big mistake in changing the attraction?

How do you not say "Gee, it's really not worth the time."

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I think if anything Disney would be forced to admit the failings of many of their choices in recent history - something i cant say i beleive they're willing to do.

fyn

I guess I read it differently. To me, any official board (MSDN for example, is one I have extensive experience with) will have *extremely* focused sections, perhaps not even including a "Post whatever you want" section. Off-topic criticisms, posts that don't add to the conversation, and and anything else that doesn't help future guests recieve the information they need will just be removed. Not edited, just removed.

Its the difference between:

"I liked the old JII better than the current version." (which I imagine won't be removed)

and

"I think Disney management was stupid to remove Dreamfinder from JII. The ride sucks now." (Deleted)

There's a difference, and as much as people here may disagree, the former is far more accurate, and helpful.

shoppingnut

Would be interesting and its obvious a lot of you knocking this do not have a good understanding of the online world as we have it today and in the future.

Neither does disney, their website has got to possibly be the worst to navigate and get things to load so you can access information.

Disneysue

In the Parks
No
I think Disney's site is extremely easy to navigate around. I think its a great idea for Disney to get into this. All forms of criticism are welcomed by a company as large as them. How are they going to know whats working and whats not if they dont find a more 21st century way to get feedback. I know they do watch these forums, but having their own is better for them. Of course they will monitor it. I wouldnt come here if it wasnt monitored.

I am SOOOOOOOO THERE when its up!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom