8/16 Wand Update

JDM

I was showing my daughters (13, 10) the pictures of SSE without the wand and they were disappointed. Their first trip to WDW was in Sept. 2000 so they only remember SSE with the wand. Me too for that matter. That was also my first trip to EPCOT. So a wandless SSE is something new for me.

A very good point and one that usually gets buried under all the anti-wand vitriol.
My daughter had her first trip to EPCOT this year and that first trip is always special. Since she doesn't know any different, she will always consider the "wand look" nostalgic and special to her. It will look strange otherwise.

But then, unlike so many others, she will be taught that "things change" and encouraged to embrace it.

Epcot82Guy

Thanks for the pics! I will say that it looks strange without the wand (as much as I am very glad for wandless SSE to be back). I can see where people have a bit of disappointment with it, but the possibilities for the globe at night should be pretty cool.

Also, love your avatar LivinWitTheLand!

TestTrack

A very good point and one that usually gets buried under all the anti-wand vitriol.
My daughter had her first trip to EPCOT this year and that first trip is always special. Since she doesn't know any different, she will always consider the "wand look" nostalgic and special to her. It will look strange otherwise.

But then, unlike so many others, she will be taught that "things change" and encouraged to embrace it.

Kinda a cheap shot there don't you think? Just because something changes does not mean that the decision cannot be criticized. Not all change is good. Being a pacifist to change isn't ideal either. Criticism is what makes the parks generally change for the better. If we all just sat here and every change that was made we said "We love it because its change and change is always good" we would eventually see a Disney without guidance or direction.

When you notice parts of your car got cheaper in the newer model do you say "Well its different but it is good because it's changed from before"? Or do you say "They should fix this part because it was a bad change from the previous year and I like it less this way"? Which way is more productive in the long term?

It's not an issue of people refusing to accept change. It's simply a community being vocal of its opinion.

pacochran

I was showing my daughters (13, 10) the pictures of SSE without the wand and they were disappointed. Their first trip to WDW was in Sept. 2000 so they only remember SSE with the wand. Me too for that matter. That was also my first trip to EPCOT. So a wandless SSE is something new for me.

Know the feeling as my DD & DS and myself went to Disney for the first time in 2002, so that is the only way we know it. It will be different for us this year. We didn't mind it but it won't cause us grief that it is gone now, it will just be different.

goofyfan13

Yes, things do change, but not always for the better. I'd rather oppose changes that I don't agree with than be a mindless drone and approve of everything despite of how good or crappy it is. :brick:

mgraef

I am going to miss the wand, but I am looking forward to whatever they add to it in the future. Still hoping for the Mickey ears...

The Big Ball looks naked now.

netenyahoo

I am glad the wand is gone, but I have never been to Epcot without the want there, so in some ways it will be a little missed. I am excited to see SSE how it is supposed to be next trip.

hauntdmansion79

Warning: exaggeration

Let's have the Statue of Liberty listening to a giant sparkling, bedazzled iPod for the next 8 years and see who embraces it as positive change. Kids growing up only seeing the iPod version of Lady Liberty will only know her in that way. Then when they finally take it down and restore the statue to it's original glory, parents of upset children are supposed to say "don't be sad, it was positive change when she got her bedazzled iPod and it's positive change now"? Heck no, I'd say, "Kids, she had no business having an iPod in the first place. This is the way it should to be. Besides she doesn't even have access to iTunes, so she's S.O.L. anyway."

You feeling me?

Disney_Freak429

Bingo

Let's have the Statue of Liberty listening to a giant sparkling, bedazzled iPod for the next 8 years and see who embraces it as positive change. Kids growing up only seeing the iPod version of Lady Liberty will only know her in that way. Then when they finally take it down and restore the statue to it's original glory, parents of upset children are supposed to say "don't be sad, it was positive change when she got her bedazzled iPod and it's positive change now"? Heck no, I'd say, "Kids, she had no business having an iPod in the first place. This is the way it should to be. Besides she doesn't even have access to iTunes, so she's S.O.L."

You feeling me?
For sure lol. The whole point about excepting change is like saying sometimes you can't change things no matter how hard you try. If that were true we would still not have a re-dedication on Oct. 1st & still had our meet up just for us. Things can be changed if you work hard enough at it & change is not always for the better. But back on topic SSE is looking better everyday I can't wait till we are rid of the rest of the tower & stars. Also for those even as a joke calling it the "big ball" ect. every time I hear someone call it that I puke inside my mouth a bit so please keep it down for health reasons.:hurl:

JDM

IT'S NOT THE STATUE OF LIBERTY, THE WASHINGTON MONUMENT, MOUNT RUSHMORE, THE PYRAMIDS OR STONEHENGE!!!

It's a freakin' theme park ride!!

Granted, it's one that we all--including myself--enjoyed very much and plan to enjoy again no matter what it looks like, but nevertheless--it's a ride.

But, GEEZ, people.........let's get some perspective.

To quote some others--"if you don't like it, don't go" (or in this case, just avert your eyes)

WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY???????

hauntdmansion79

IT'S NOT THE STATUE OF LIBERTY, THE WASHINGTON MONUMENT, MOUNT RUSHMORE, THE PYRAMIDS OR STONEHENGE!!!

Granted, it's one that we all--including myself--enjoyed very much and plan to enjoy again no matter what it looks like, but nevertheless--it's a ride.

To quote some others--"if you don't like it, don't go" (or in this case, just avert your eyes)

YIKES! That is exactly why I put THIS at the very beginning of my post......:rolleyes:

shoppingnut

And if I want to sit here and complain about it like it's the most important thing in the world, so what, anyone can just avert their eyes to the post then.:shrug:

Thanks for the pictures Figment!

Kinda a cheap shot there don't you think? Just because something changes does not mean that the decision cannot be criticized. Not all change is good. Being a pacifist to change isn't ideal either. Criticism is what makes the parks generally change for the better. If we all just sat here and every change that was made we said "We love it because its change and change is always good" we would eventually see a Disney without guidance or direction.

When you notice parts of your car got cheaper in the newer model do you say "Well its different but it is good because it's changed from before"? Or do you say "They should fix this part because it was a bad change from the previous year and I like it less this way"? Which way is more productive in the long term?

It's not an issue of people refusing to accept change. It's simply a community being vocal of its opinion.

Very Well Said

teebin

I went to Epcot today and no one seems to have noticed that they have already begun removing stars from SSE on the inside of the park. There were as many stars on the park side of SSE as on the entrance side. Now there are very few. And now that I am home and took another look at figs pics, you can see that there ain't many left on the park side.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom