Spoiler, book discussion of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.

tinkerbell88

Original Poster
This forum is for people who have already finished the book. I want to know what everyone though? I thought it was a good ending. I'm glad only two of the main characters died. Fred Weasly and Mad Eye Moody. It is so sweet that in the end Harry and Ginny end up with their children Lily, James, and Albus. So everyone tell me what you thought please? This is really exciting.

Nicole220

Beat me to it. I was about to start a thread.

I'll post my long review/thoughts in a little while.....have to get them all together.

I will say that I LOVED the book!! Easily my favorite of the series. JK Rowling did a great job of wrapping the series up. All my questions were answered.

One thing- Who was it on here that said Harry was the last horcrux? Whoever it was, good job!

Oh! And I felt myself wanting Harry to die...:lookaroun

More later....

tinkerbell88

Original Poster
It was Dumbledore that told Harry he was the last horucrux. When when into the pensive in Dumbledore's office or the headmaters or masteress's office. That is when he found out.

joanna71985

Oh man, I absolutely LOVED it. I thought the ending was great. And there were some things in it that totally blew me away, I was so shocked. But I wish that both Tonks and Lupin didn't have to die.:( At least Harry didn't.

tinkerbell88

Original Poster
I know that was sad because they just had a child. I'm so glad it ended the way it did. I was so shocked that Harry didn't die.

Pongo

One thing- Who was it that said Harry was the last horcrux? Whoever it was, good job!

Myself. And Connor. And probably other people.

I loved the book. Absolutely loved it. It quickly became my favorite of the series, and after reading it I realized that the 6th really wasn't as bad as I thought the first time I read it. They really should have been one book, but that would have been out of control.

Man, it seemed like there was a death every chapter. Hedwig, Moody, Lupin, Tonks, Dobby, Fred, Wormtail, Colin Creevey, Bellatrix, Voldemort, Crabbe, Harry-ish at one point.

I really like the fact that Harry kind of died. I'm not going to lie, the King's Cross chapter was a bit weird and out there, but I liked Dumbledore's comment about the fact that just because it's in our head doesn't make it unreal.

This book was jam packed with action and that made it so much fun to read. The movie is going to be incredible whenever it is made. I hope they leave nothing out.

And I also have to say, I KNEW Snape was going to end up good. I KNEW IT. That entire chapter, The Prince's Story, was the best one in the whole book in my opinion. Everything finally came together. It's giving me chills right now, just thinking about it.

Also, I liked the concept of the Deathly Hallows and the choices Harry needed to make. The whole "Hallows, not Horcruxes" dichotomy. It really seemed very allegorical about the whole good vs. evil storyline.

AND DUMBLEDORE. Wow, that was profound. Just goes to show that everyone has their demons and you can't hide them no matter how hard you try. And you can't really let other people bring you down about them (aka Rita Skeeter).

There were so many deep themes in this volume, I loved it. Every single bit. The part near the end in the Room of Requirement where everyone meets back up... that gave me chills as I read it.

JK Rowling REALLY knows how to write a good story.

joanna71985

I totally agree with everything you said there Luke. And I can't wait for the movie. However, I think it is going to be really dark, because the movie is so violent.

tinkerbell88

Original Poster
I just hope they don't leave anything out for the 6 or 7 movie cuz there is so much and u just cant leave anything out really.

For the book was great and it is true that someone died in every chapter.
I really like how harry stood up to voldemort in the end with no fear at all. I can't imagin how hard that must of been to sacrifice hisself like that I mean wow. So much happen its hard to describe. Very good book I have to say.

Nicole220

Okay, here's my review/thoughts. I'm most likely going to forget stuff.

Trying to go in order, I'll start with Dudely. I thought it was kind of sweet how he didn't want to leave Harry and thanked him for saving his life. He was first of many characters that made me think different of them.

Poor Hedwig dying! That was sad....and I was convinced that Hagrid was dead when he fell. I always thought that JK Rowling would kill him off. Moody dying didn't have an effect on me. He was always just 'meh' to me. I also thought that George was dead when he arrived.

Kreacher is the next character that made me go from hate to love. His attitude was great!

Dobby's death made me cry....I've never cried while reading a book. It was so sad!! The poor little guy! :( I loved the way Harry dug Dobby's grave without the use of magic.

Ron's attitude got annoying, but totally won me back when he rescued Harry. A perfect example of a Gryffindor.

The Malfoy's definitely won me over. When the trio were brought to their house and Draco had to identify them, I'm pretty sure he recognized Harry. How could he not with Ron and Hermionie there? And then when Narcissa spared Harry's life.....amazing! Also, the whole Room of Requirement thing with Draco was great as well.

Dumbledor's story was shocking. I would have never believed that he was power hungry. I was convinced that it was his eyes in the mirror...it was disappointing to read that it was his brother. I really wanted to see Dumbledore help Harry and be there for him, even if he was dead.

I loved how the DA and Hogwarts came together to fight. I think Neville should have finished Bellatrix off, but I loved what Mrs. Weasley said to her while she was fighting.

Percy was another person who redeemed himself. It was great to see him come back and help. Fred's death was so sad!! I love the twins! The family was finally back together and he dies. :(

Tonks and Lupin's death was sad. They can't die when they just had a baby!! It just didn't seem right.

I was shocked when Harry found out that he was the 7th horcrux and had to die. My heart was racing when he was walking to his death. I was actually kind of glad that he was going to die, it seemed like the right thing to do. I got over the fact that he was alive when Narcissa spared his life.

My favorite part of the story: Snape!!! I knew he was good. Dumbledore might not have been the saint we thought he was, but he wasn't stupid! I cried from Snape's death to the end of the book. Everything totally makes sense now. It was very touching to read that Snape had been protecting Harry all along, even if he did it just for Lily. I could go into so much more about this, I just can't find the words.

I liked the end where it went to their kids. I loved the names for Harry's kids- James, Lily, and Albus Severus.

Overall, I loved it. The movie is going to be amazing!!

What a great way to end the great series! Good job JK Rowling!

edit: My mom finally fell into the book hype. She's now reading books 5-7 and is loving it!

Oh, did anyone else like the dedication? I liked the end and how it was in the shape of a lightening bolt.

Kerby626

I finished it just over 22 hours. I went through the first 200 or so pages within a couple hours. I loved the book. I hated that I had to wait 624 pages for Hermione and Ron to have their "moment". Ron is the man!!! He just needs some prodding every so often. I've only been waiting since OOTP for the two of them to have their moment.

Did anyone else see the Snape/Lily connection? I admit that I didn't even see it until I was reading it.

I know we have other Potter fans here, let's here from yall.

tinkerbell88

Original Poster
I finished most of the book yesturday and read the last two chapters this morning and the prolouge which I loved. The thing with the muggles and all that was terrible. Like at the ministry when harry and the gang were under the polyjuice potion how the dementors were there to suck their souls was terrible.

Kerby626

Unforunately right now nothing is planned, JKR has said that already. She also said not to rule anything out. I see 19 yrs of fan fiction to play with. Who knows....

SirGoofy

Best book I have ever read. Seriously it was amazing, and brought out emotion that I never thought a book could. I was devastated when Dobby died, and the last few chapters where like nothing I had ever read, especially when Harry used the Resurrection Stone. I can't wait to see the climactic battle when the movie comes out. The epilogue was a perfect happy ending. I love that Harry has his own family.

I was really surprised Hagrid survived. He was one character who I was sure would be killed off, along with either Ron or Hermione.

Now when can we expect the Harry Potter spinoff series about his children? I think that would be fun.

Pongo

I really wish she would have told exactly what Harry, Ron Hermione, and Ginny do now that they have families. What jobs they ended up taking. Harry would have made a killer Headmaser at Hogwarts.

Killer in the sense that he would be awesome. Not that he would kill people :lookaroun

Peaches Magee

Let me just saw how much sadness I bear now that th series is over.
I mean something I have been looking forward to for years... finished. :(

But I will saw the book was amazing... non-stop!
I read from 12:30am-4:30am... on sat. morning. Slept till 11:30am and then read straight till 9am this morning till it was done.

I was taken aback by the slight tarnishment of Dumbledore... but realized as they said he was only human. I did see the Lily thing coming a bit from the old Snape pensieve viewings in Book 5. I KNEW he was essentially good. I knew it!
The book was a bloodbath though....
Death Toll for the good:

Mad Eye Moody
Dobby (soooo very sad!)
Fred
Snape (He did pull a semi-Vader on us folks)
Lupin
Tonks
Colin Creevey

I was so hurt that she killed of one fo the Weasly twins.
Should have been Percy's late coming self!
I knew Lupin would die, mainly because he was finally happy about the baby and naming Harry godfather and all...but sad they made Tonks die... but in a way makes the child seem like Harry too... spin-off anyone? :)

And HELLO what about Mrs Weasley and her cursing with Bellatrix!?
I laughed so hard! Tough broad, that Molly!

Ok the seen when harry brings back everyone with the stone...
I was sobbing!
I was happy to see DD finally explain himself to him in the end.
And that Harry didnt die. I was thinking and hoping for that.
Voldy's finally dead!

I noticed that this book above all was the most cinematic for me.
Maybe due to all the action. I can always see them all playing out like a movie in my head as I read, but this one was even more vivid in that aspect for me. Couldn't put it down!

But they DID totally go for the Super Mega Happy Ending didnt they?
The 19 year later. All married with kids going to Hogwarts all named after people they loved and lost... a tad cheesy, but I will admit it made me happy.
But I was kinda peeved that they didnt tell us what Harry, Ron Heromine & Ginny do now. I was hoping they were Aurors or worked at Hogwarts too or something. Well there is something to be left writing about then...
:)

imagineer boy

I am at a complete loss for words how amazing I thought the book was. WOW. Easily the best in the series, just an amazing finnish to one of the best book series in history. The battle of Hogwarts was so amazing where you were rooting for all of your favourite characters to blow the crud out of all the Death Eaters! ( especially Trelawny throwing the crystal balls at death eaters! LOL! )

For me, the most depressing part of the book was the middle part I'd say. Especially when Ron leaves and everything just seems so hopeless. And I'd have to say the saddest death was Dobby's death.:( He was one of my favourite characters.

Wow, what an amazing book. I'll definately read it again.

tinkerbell88

Original Poster
I was just re reading part of it where they go back to harry's parents grave. It so sad and then he sees where his parents were actually killed and the room where the killing curse backfired. It was all amazing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom