Universal Pros and Cons...kinda

will_rogers

Original Poster
Last week I spent some time at UO with a buddy of mine. I was inpressed to see an increase in characters and streetmoshphere in the park. I do have to say that I think that USF has a far more impresseive NYC Cityscape in terms of visuals, however, it lacks that ambient noise that D/MGM's has. I was dissapointed with the "Orlando Vacations" booths. These are Westgate Resorts employees that bombard you with timeshare sales. One of the booths was near MIB and the stand said "Refreshments"...no F & B in sight, just shady timeshare people. I was also grossed out by the fact that as you wal into CW, you are getting mentally raped by the Credit Card people. I think that every 1 good step UO takes, it takes at least 1 back. Now I"m NOT BASHING NOR AM I COMPARING THE 2 PROPERTIES. THat is unjust. Somethings can be compared, others not so much and they do some good things in their own right. I do feel that they don't live up to their potential. I also feel that if they were anywhere else besides Orlando, they'd be seen as amazing. With that said, WHile there I was reminded of some feelings I had a while back so I decided to ressurect some statements from a previous discussion that was pretty obscure.

DISCLAIMER: The follwing is long and requires some thought.

In no particular order, here are the issues (not all) w/ UO followed by my opinion:

1. No culture. Unlike a man with a dream and a commitment to a product, UO was about making money and porfolio diversification. They are always planning and scheming to try to fool people that they are #1. THeir mission statement is "to be recognized as the world's #1 entertainment desitnation". Bad themimg, no synergy, no ambience, how would you do that? There are also no employee nights at CityWalk. M-F CW is dead. I asked my friend, who is a supervisor over there why they don't have emp. nights and he half-jokingly said "b/c our employees would end up being thrown out of the place and fired before the night's up"

2. Finance and Liscencing. UCreative (their version of WDI) creates some amazing rides and concepts but finance balks at the price. UO also decides to promote non-Uni movies such as MIB and Twister? How do you create a brand.

3. Wasting Money: Simply put, the different departments have no communication and high school drop outs running the place so the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing". ALso, get this, they are getting rid of their "onsies" (like a no-strings attached) and replacing them with a pass to ride whatever attraction you had a bad experience with to begin with. The new ones are also predated (unlike the onsie which you write the date in by hand so you a have a generic stock with unlimited shelf life) so if you don't use all the stock for that day you have to throw them away. According to management, it is to create a more consitant guest experience and reduce waste. tell me how that makes sense.

4. No synergy. Back to the Future had a 20th anniversary last june. That was a great trilogy that is still popular. Any mention of it or celebration or event. NO. Why not? It's Universal, who the he!l knows?

5. Bad Theming. A king kong movie comes out and is a hit but they got rid of the ride while the movie was being written (no communication). Mummy is a great ride but it isn't a story that people will know about or connect with for years to come like most good Disney movies. Why is Shrek in "Production Central" while they try to make it look less like a move soundstage facade and more like a castle? I went through Lost Continent and they were playing the Macarena through the PA. I went by Jaws (which is only open for 1/2 the day) and they were playing The Thong SOng and Walk This Way. Yep, 1976 all over that!! Go on some of the rides and you see where they cut corners on being able to see the support structure or seeing backstage. (for example, leave BTTF, get off hulk or ride ripsaw falls) Where is the streetmosphere in the park, action at $hityWalk. Just not there.

6. Branding. The name of the resort (officially) is "Universal Orlando Resort". The 2 parks are "Universal's Islands of Adventure" and "Uiversal Studios Florida". Road signs will say just Universal Studios or the old mname "Universal Studios Escape". My friend bought a dueling dragons hat. on the back it said Universal Studios. The merchandise has the wrong park on it and they sell it. It's like seeing a ToT hat with Epcot on it. They have coffee cups with incorrect logos and names like "Universal Studios Orlando" (instead of FL).

7. Marketing. IOA was created with a target market of 13-35. When I started there it was under construction and they drove that home. i think that's fine but that is where is ends. Their new marketing campaign blows. The kid that says they don't go to bed at 7; guess what 3/4 of the year that is when UO closes. Not hugging princesses, tell their #1 character Princess Fiona that.

8. Stupid executives. They are opening up a new club to compete with Blue MArtini with their demographic. They call it the red cocnut. Here is where it gets foolish, "rat pack cool with the 1970's attitude". Ummm, rat pack was 40s-50s. I asked a manager at CW about it and she said "most people don't know any better" That's one thing I love about Disney, they make things that most people who don't know better like, but people who do know better are able to get a little extra something out of it. (i.e Reflections of Earth: most people "ooh, cool fireworks and lasers and big-a$$ flamy thing". others can appreciate the story and artistic value. For proof of UOs dumbing down, look at Poisidien's Fury. Orinally themed after the original mythological tale, they changed it b/c nobody "got it". They kept all the props and artwrok that light up and some of the old story elements and characters (but with altered roles) so if you know mythology, you're confused and realize it sucks.

With all of that said, Universal has great rides some cool offerings and neat little things that are unique. I enjoy going there to not get "Disney-ed out" or to ride Spiderman and rollercoasters. They have a ton of potential if they would spend the money on the details and hire some people with at least a high school education in their management roles. People like things for different reasons and you have to respect that. I think people can go a little too far on these boards. There is nothing here to get upset about or take personal. Some people here are close minded and ignorant, there is no need to bash people. Some are probably amazing people that are deserving of buying a coffee and sitting at Starbucks with for a few hours. I love Disney, i like their product better and think there is a lot of amazing things, both in the product and the behind the scenes of it. Disney is the best at what they do and there is so much to engage you at every level.

That is my opinion. Whether or not you agree with me, that is your opinion.

Disney may bot be perfect either but I'm much more proud to be a WDW fan and feel like I'm part of a community of respectable people...and the numbers prove it, Disney's ship is afloat and steadfast.

WeLComeHomE OKW

Amen. But, seriously why include the parts about the ppl on these boards? The 3rd to last paragraph was not necesarry, but i dont like universal for basically the same reasons. Mine really comes down to two things..they have no story in their parks and no community/strong united atmosphere. Even the themed lands in Islands of Adventure have weak stories. Oh well, I love Disney. :D

Mr Bill

This would be better suited for the Universal board. By posting it here, it seems as if you are just trying to start things up.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Mr Bill said:
This would be better suited for the Universal board. By posting it here, it seems as if you are just trying to start things up.
Seems like that was the OP's intentions --- he posted the SAME EXACT THING in a different UO thread a month back.

will_rogers

Original Poster
OKW, you're right, the paragraph about the ppl was somehwat of a low blow. I admit my slight misjudgement. It was a cut and paste from a very heated topic that I was trying to help keep from getting even more outta hand. Since the post is in a different context, I should have edited it before reposting. People were bashing people left and right and posts could be read as full blown arguments and that stuff ruffles my feathers just a bit as I see it to be pointless. I think we are all here b/c of a common bond and that should supercede any reason to argue, bash, and insult. I do feel that most of the ppl on these boards are good, intelligent people that like to have a good time, especially at WDW. I lurked other boards for a while and it turned into immature comments, insults and high schoo humor. This board is my favorite and my intenet was not to pi$$ people off.

In regards to reposting this, my trip to UO brought back those thoughts. Rather than paraphrase, I thgouth it would be easier to just copy and paste. I'm not trying to start trouble. I humbly apologize if anyone is offended, my main point was to discuss things about UO and how WDW does them better.

As far as my posting here, I thougt it would be better appreciated here since it was just proves why WDW is better than anywhere else in the Western Hemishpere. Period.

jaredliu

Evil Empire is always better than every other park in the world, hum? How many times you have to repeat the same thing? By the way comparing Fiona to Dinsey's "happily-lived-after" Princesses is stupid. Fiona became a ogre. That is my opinion. Whether or not you agree with me, that is your opinion.

WeLComeHomE OKW

jaredliu said:
Evil Empire is always better than every other park in the world, hum? How many times you have to repeat the same thing? By the way comparing Fiona to Dinsey's "happily-lived-after" Princesses is stupid. Fiona became a ogre. That is my opinion. Whether or not you agree with me, that is your opinion.

Im not picking sides or trying to start nething. I just want to point out that this is probably the weirdest response i have ever seen to this arguement or any arguement for that matter and I found it quite amusing.

If you want to make a compelling arguement, tell me why comparing those two are stupid. (and u should never really use the word stupid...it doesnt sound good) and dont just end it with opinions. cuz that sure doesnt solve nething. oh boy oh boy, i should give u my debate 101 text book. :animwink: :animwink:

Timmay

I guess I am just missing the point of the new thread...didn't I read this somewhere else not long ago??

kcnole

Universal may not be Disney, but it's still better than any other theme parks in America. While I don't get that magical immersive feeling I get from Disney there, I still have a great time when I visit their parks. I think had they not built in Orlando right next door to Disney they wouldn't be considered the black sheep that they are today. However they probably also wouldn't have made the same amount of money that Disney has.

JimboJones123

I don't like Universal, because they COST SO MUCH MORE THAN DISNEY. If you ever complain about costs of going to Disney, Spend a day at UNIVERSAL. You never will complain again.

bsandersjr

I like both properties.
I prefer Disney though. Disney gives oyu that "magical" feeling of freedom and a care free fun escape from normal everyday stress.
Universal just feels more "laid back" to me. I do agree that I hate wasting 15-20 minutes of my day trying to ditch some moron trying to sell me a timeshare while I am on vacation, but Disney has the same thing. But the vacation club booths are there for you to go up to, they don't attack you like the ones at Universal.
The properties are two totally different "worlds" and if you have been to both, you should already know what to expect, so it should not suprise you for the most part.
I just think that there are more things at both properties to enjoy rather than find wrong.

Just my opinion.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
JimboJones123 said:
I don't like Universal, because they COST SO MUCH MORE THAN DISNEY. If you ever complain about costs of going to Disney, Spend a day at UNIVERSAL. You never will complain again.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The hotels are cheaper and at the same or better quality (plus you get FREE EXPRESS) as the WDW moderate/deluxe resorts. I just did a quick search on Expedia, and a room at the Portofino Bay Hotel, which woud be a deluxe at WDW, is $289 a night (Royal Pacific was $229 and Hard Rock was $259). Price of a standard view room at the Yacht Club? $345. The counter service food may cost a dollar or two more than at WDW, but the food is definitely a heck of a lot better. Not only that, but UO gives their Annual Passholders 15% off at restaurants and 20% off merchandise. What does WDW give their Annual Passholders? 10% off Monday - Friday for lunch at World Showcase, DTD, and a few hotel table service restaurants and merchandise discounts only at DTD stores.

Disneyfanman

We visit Disney every year and usually hit at least one of the Universal parks. We enjoy both, but Universal really doesn't hang together like Disney does. When we visit, we look forward to riding everything and seeing the shows, but never really leave with that "magical end to the day" feeling that you get at Disney. I'm not sure why. Universal certainly spends the money on its attractions. They are clean and organized. I do think the food is better at the middle priced restaurants. They do a ton of things really well. I just never leave wanting more. I always do at Disney. Be it Branding, Drugs, Cute characters, theming, closing firework shows, or whatever...........I always wish that I had one more day on Big Thunder to ride after dark and look at the fireworks. If they can keep a 45 year old business executive (me!) feeling that way, then they do SOMETHING special. They are "cuddly" vs. "edgy". It doesn't mean that Universal is bad. Just that Disney has a 45 year old hold on my heart. If I didn't like Universal I wouldn't return. I just end up visiting Disney much more frequently. And I ride and do EVERYTHING.

Ah well. Let the debate rage on!

pluto77

jaredliu said:
Let's not forget this is a disney fan site. Referring to Disney as an "Evil Empire" probably isn't the best thing to do here.

By the way, there is a walk around character of Princess Fiona before she became an ogre at Universal.

bsandersjr

NemoRocks said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The hotels are cheaper and at the same or better quality (plus you get FREE EXPRESS) as the WDW moderate/deluxe resorts. I just did a quick search on Expedia, and a room at the Portofino Bay Hotel, which woud be a deluxe at WDW, is $289 a night (Royal Pacific was $229 and Hard Rock was $259). Price of a standard view room at the Yacht Club? $345. The counter service food may cost a dollar or two more than at WDW, but the food is definitely a heck of a lot better. Not only that, but UO gives their Annual Passholders 15% off at restaurants and 20% off merchandise. What does WDW give their Annual Passholders? 10% off Monday - Friday for lunch at World Showcase, DTD, and a few hotel table service restaurants and merchandise discounts only at DTD stores.

Plus Universal gives a AAA discount on EVERYTHING.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom