DisneyQuest to close?

Mr Bill

Original Poster
I just read an article on Jim Hill Media (I know...) that said DisneyQuest would be closing in early 2008 to make way for ESPN Zone. Anyone think this will actually wind up happening, or is it just Jim Hill being Jim Hill?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
DLP Fan said:
I was just about to post that but was a bit scared to because it is by he who's name we do not mention! Would be sad to see DG go but it has been quiet for quite a while now and hasnt changed in a long time either. ESPN Zone could be cool. But why does the Boardwalk ESPN have to close too? I love that place.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2006/04/25/2051.aspx
The only issue with the clubs and restaurants at the Boardwalk is it is a real pain to get to them using Disney transportation and getting back to your resort from the Boardwalk at 2:00 AM using Disney transportation is nearly impossible. Also the average guest does not even know that the Boardwalk exists. If Disney was to move the ESPN club to DTD there will be a huge spike in attendance.

FigmentJedi

But why remove DisneyQuest for ESPN? Can't they coexist together at all? Also, the spike in Downtown Disney attendance that would come with ESPN Zone could boost attendance in other parts of the district, even including DisneyQuest.

WDWFREAK53

I'd do DisneyQuest if it wasn't so expensive. Isn't it like $25? I just can't see spending that kind of money to play video games.

Mr Bill

Original Poster
I've only been once, and got in for free that time. I enjoyed it, but don't know that I'd pay the full admission to go back.

DLP Fan

Master Yoda said:
The only issue with the clubs and restaurants at the Boardwalk is it is a real pain to get to them using Disney transportation and getting back to your resort from the Boardwalk at 2:00 AM using Disney transportation is nearly impossible. Also the average guest does not even know that the Boardwalk exists. If Disney was to move the ESPN club to DTD there will be a huge spike in attendance.

I understand that but I just dont get why they need to shut down the ESPN at the Boardwalk also. Its a great place for families, teens and adults to all go and is used by people staying at the Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach Club and Swan & Dolphin. I normally go there after a night in EPCOT for some food and is kinda the only casual dinning part on the Boardwalk, with a great atmosphere. Would be sad to see it go.

speck76

DisneyQuest is a failed concept......it has not been updated in years, and really is never as busy as it should be (at least when I am there)

I have said for a while now that replacing it with an ESPN Zone would make more sense....DTD does not have a sports bar/restaurant, and could use a place like that.

dxwwf3

WDWFREAK53 said:
I'd do DisneyQuest if it wasn't so expensive. Isn't it like $25? I just can't see spending that kind of money to play video games.

Actually $37.28 for a one day adult. That's what's been keeping me away as well.

dxwwf3

BTW, the ESPN Zone in Atlanta is a lot of fun. There are arcade type games in the upstairs level of that one, so I'm thinking that maybe some of the more popular attractions from DQ might survive (Of course, I know nothing about the layout of the park and the size of the attractions).

Rosso11

dxwwf3 said:
BTW, the ESPN Zone in Atlanta is a lot of fun. There are arcade type games in the upstairs level of that one, so I'm thinking that maybe some of the more popular attractions from DQ might survive (Of course, I know nothing about the layout of the park and the size of the attractions).

This is what happened in Chicago. The ESPN zone got a very big arcade area from the old DQ. I'm sure this will also be the case in Florida. I just hope they save some of their best atractions like POTC.

dxwwf3

brisem said:
Isnt it part of the ticket plan with the waterparks?

I believe so. I haven't used anything but an AP since I can remember, but I think it is part of the Premium Magic Your Way ticket.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
DLP Fan said:
I understand that but I just dont get why they need to shut down the ESPN at the Boardwalk also. Its a great place for families, teens and adults to all go and is used by people staying at the Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach Club and Swan & Dolphin. I normally go there after a night in EPCOT for some food and is kinda the only casual dinning part on the Boardwalk, with a great atmosphere. Would be sad to see it go.
I assume what they are thinking is if they open up a new ESPN zone on the West Side attendance at the Boardwalk version would drop to unprofitable levels. If that is true it would make more financial sense to turn the existing ESPN club into something else that would draw a different crowd.

40 bucks to play video games is a little much. I've heard some great things about ESPN Zone, so I think this is good for Disney. Does anybody have a good description of what will actually be in the ESPN Zone?

lexy1687

I have the premium annual passes, so I've been to Disney Quest a few times, and every time I feel let down. If they could update it with some newer rides and games, I think it would be a little better. However, I don't think they should replace it with ESPN zone b/c I have also been there, and I don't think that would be a smart move.

Scar

Maybe they could turn the area at BWV into some great casual dining areas with lots of different ethnic foods (playing off of Epcot). Yeah, I know it doesn't fit the BW theme, which might be why it won't work, but one item I don't like about the BWV/BCV area is the lack of casual dining like some of the other resort areas have. Just a thought.

debpeduz

I for one am not concerned for Disney QUest closing. It wasb't the best thing in the first place. I think the idea of adding an ESPN zone to West Side is great!
But, what I am not happy about, is the closing of the ESPN Zone at the Boardwalk. My boyfriend will be very upset when he finds this out. We are in love with the Boardwalk, and this announcement is very sad. Disney better think of something good to put there in place of the ESPN Zone to keep people at the Boardwalk.

MartyMouse

First off this is all rumor and speculation. I think that an EPSN Zone could be built in Downtown Disney, however with T-Rex coming, you have to ask – How many restaurants can DTD handle? I believe that Disney’s California Adventure is suffering from the same problem, too many places to eat and not enough to do.

Ultimately time will tell.

However I don’t think that just because EPSN is at DTD that means that Disney will close the one at Boardwalk. Boardwalk was never meant to be a destination for guests it’s a resort, a rather large resort that also services the Swan and Dolphin as well as the Yacht and Beach clubs, just as the original Village serviced the third party hotels. DTD has grown into a “stop” but the Boardwalk is still doing what it was created for, if you can’t get back to your resort easily, than perhaps Disney is trying to tell you something.

Finally.

DisneyQuest is brilliant, why Disney has dropped the ball with this project is far beyond me, they should dump some more money into it instead of replacing it. DisneyQuest offered WDI a chance to truly be on the cutting edge of technology and they are squandering it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom