Disney Reopens Mission:Space

prberk

Original Poster
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...41306,0,2734447.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Disney reopens Mission: Space at Epcot
Experts declare ride operating properly
Scott Powers
Sentinel Staff Writer

April 13, 2006, 9:35 AM EDT

A 49-year-old woman from Germany died Wednesday after riding Walt Disney World's Mission: Space, the second person in less than a year to fall ill and die after going on the signature thrill ride.

The woman died at Florida Hospital Celebration Health, where she was taken Tuesday after becoming sick following the mock spacefli ght at Epcot, according to a statement released late Wednesday by the theme park.

"We learned today that her condition had become very serious, and this evening we were notified she passed away," the statement said.

Disney reopened the ride when Epcot opened at 9 this morning after Walt Disney World engineers and ride system experts completed an inspection overnight and declared it to be operating properly. An inspector from the state Bureau of Fair Rides was on hand to monitor Disney's inspections and tests.

About midday Wednesday, Disney officials called the state Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection to report the woman's condition.
Copyright © 2006, Orlando Sentinel

MKCP 1985

Buford said:
Thanks Paul!

Anyone going to the park - I'm curious to know what wait times are.

Well you know people are going to want to go on it if it is open, and Easter weekend is crazy-busy. My guess is the wait times will be the same as they ever are.

People who want to ride aren't going to stay away because of that poor woman's death, especially if the inspections showed no malfunction.

EpcotServo

Buford said:
Thanks Paul!

Anyone going to the park - I'm curious to know what wait times are.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was anywhere between -45 minutes to a high wait time of 0 minutes. Fastpass return times? 9:00-9:01. Like I said, most people were afraid to go on before this. I am curious to see how the lines will be as well.

GothMickey

EpcotServo said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was anywhere between -45 minutes to a high wait time of 0 minutes. Fastpass return times? 9:00-9:01. Like I said, the media has now scared everyone off the ride. I am curious to see how the lines will be.

Probably low at first.. but once this news wears off, people will forget and go back on, making the wait time a whoppinng 10 minutes....

ToTBellHop

GothMickey said:
Did you expect them NOT to open the ride?
If Disney was actually at fault, they wouldn't have reopened it (Big Thunder Mountain in 2003), but since they aren't, guests are riding right now.

WDWFREAK53

GothMickey said:
Probably low at first.. but once this news wears off, people will forget and go back on, making the wait time a whoppinng 10 minutes....

...and another unsuspecting person with a slight heart condition that they are unaware about will have a problem. But that's ok, it could happen on any ride...the fact of the matter is...it's NOT.

But, I think that before any measures are taken to the ride, the autopsy should come out and should be examined.

ToTBellHop

WDWFREAK53 said:
...and another unsuspecting person with a slight heart condition that they are unaware about will have a problem. But that's ok, it could happen on any ride...the fact of the matter is...it's NOT.

But, I think that before any measures are taken to the ride, the autopsy should come out and should be examined.
Depends on what you consider "slight." An enlarged heart for a 5-year old is by no means a "slight" heart condition. It would have killed him pretty quickly regardless--like the first time he had to run a mile in his middle school gym class. I would imagine this woman's autopsy report will be released later today with very definitive results.

Connor002

If it wasn't for the Easter rush, I'd say it could be worth keeping it down until the autopsy results were in, but in this case I believe they went with their best option.

GothMickey

Connor002 said:
If it wasn't for the Easter rush, I'd say it could be worth keeping it down until the autopsy results were in, but in this case I believe they went with their best option.

Even with it being Easter they probably should have kept it down at least one more day until the autopsy results came in.. But, a decision to reopen the ride was not unexpected.

eroyee

Mission space

:wave: Here we go again. Disney World is getting bad press because someone didnt read the many warning signs for the ride. You would think anyone would have common sense enough not to ride something like this if they had any problems at all. Seems like they always go on and on when its a Disney ride. I'm sorry for that womans family, but theres signs everywhere. Please read them and use common sense.:veryconfu

WDWFREAK53

eroyee said:
:wave: Here we go again. Disney World is getting bad press because someone didnt read the many warning signs for the ride. You would think anyone would have common sense enough not to ride something like this if they had any problems at all. Seems like they always go on and on when its a Disney ride. I'm sorry for that womans family, but theres signs everywhere. Please read them and use common sense.:veryconfu

1. It may have been an unknown case she had.
2. We don't know if she even had a problem.

Timmay

WDWFREAK53 said:

Who has said anything about a "slight heart condition":confused:

And it could happen on any other attraction...like TOT, or even one of the water parks...right???

Using your logic, we need to shut down anything for fear of the "unsuspecting person"...like PeterPan, because I am sure the elderly man involved with that did not suspect the end result would be what it was.

I understand concern over two deaths in 10 months...but again, how long has the ride been open? And I have yet to hear a solution (other than the folks that hate it want it burned to the ground)...what is an objective solution to the so called problem?

mikeanabean

eroyee said:

Maybe she couldn't read it since she was German?

CaptainMichael

GothMickey said:
Did you expect them NOT to open the ride?
Believe it or not there were a few delusional people last night calling for "this death trap of a ride" to be shut down indefinitely.

I for one am not surprised that Disney did the right thing and opened Mission: Space this morning!

WhyteAL

unfortunately someone else passed away on that ride...But I think that is why they kinda let you know your ridin' a centerfuge. Not just a disney ingainering secret. Because for the most part would these same people ride the "gravatron" at a county fair? Maybe not because it spins fast. But it's very similar. (obviously the M:S is far superior but similar because of the g-forces)...I hope they don't try to change or close the ride down because for the time being it's as close to going to space as I can afford.:rolleyes:

jmicro59

Timmay said:
Who has said anything about a "slight heart condition":confused:

And it could happen on any other attraction...like TOT, or even one of the water parks...right???

Using your logic, we need to shut down anything for fear of the "unsuspecting person"...like PeterPan, because I am sure the elderly man involved with that did not suspect the end result would be what it was.

I understand concern over two deaths in 10 months...but again, how long has the ride been open? And I have yet to hear a solution (other than the folks that hate it want it burned to the ground)...what is an objective solution to the so called problem?

Good points, Timmay. I agree with you. Look, Disney puts a ride in to production, makes sure it's not going to hurt anyone (read: make them get sued or bad press) and that's that. Just as much as the riders don't want to get hurt or die on MS Disney doesn't want that either and to be perfectly honest the ride is not that intense, at least for me or my 9 year old daughter. I've ridden it 5 times in just under an hour when the lines were short and I felt fine, others can ride it once and get sick to their stomach, who’s fault is that? Disney's? Don't think so, it's the riders fault, plain and simple. Like Harry Callahan says, "Mans got to know his limitations." If you think you’re going to get sick or just not up to riding MS then don’t, I’m pretty sure it won’t ruin your vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom