Apple could bid for Disney

Computer Magic

GrimGhost said:
I just read this.

Apple could bid for Disney: Barron's

By Greg Morcroft, MarketWatch
Last Update: 12:07 PM ET Feb 25, 2006

<LABEL id=StoryContent_Content>
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Barron's on Saturday said it's possible that Apple could make a bid to buyout Disney after CEO Steve Jobs becomes the legendary entertainment firm's largest shareholder.
Jobs, who is the CEO of computer animation business Pixar
4:00pm 02/24/2006

after that firm's agreement to acquire the maker of movies like Toy Story and Finding Nemo.

"I think he has an open option," Barron's quoted analyst Christopher Whalen, a New York-based managing director of Institutional Risk Analytics. "Disney is badly undervalued right now. Jobs might get an opportunity to take it out."
Whalen argues that Jobs' unique familiarity with both the content and technolgy sides of Hollywood make the case for a bid more compelling.
"The markets and Disney shareholders would welcome a merger led by their apparent savior, Steve Jobs," Whalen concluded.
greendot.gif

Greg Morcroft is New York news editor of MarketWatch.
</LABEL>

GrimGhost

Original Poster
objr said:
:lol::lol::lol:

I just don't see it happening....
I am just curious why you think it won't. I HOPE it doesn't, I truly believe Disney needs to remain independent. Really this article is nothing more than one analysts opinion.

Pioneer Hall

While anything is possible, I don't think that it will be happening. I think that Jobs is fairly content on keeping his company seperate. I do think that he will try and bring some of his people in and probably ce chairman of the board at some point in the future.

Connor002

I don't see it happening... but then again, there have been a few things that have happened lately that I would never have believed before...

cherrynegra

Connor002 said:
I don't see it happening... but then again, there have been a few things that have happened lately that I would never have believed before...

Agreed. One never knows. Nothing is ever truly certain.

Pat X

Remember, this is just one analysts speculation of what MAY happen....again, the article says, it is possible, not likely. You know, its possible the sun won't rise tomorrow, but will that happen? No.

A couple items to consider, Jobs has said he doesnt want the chairman's position or any additional responisbilities at Disney other than being on the board of directors.

Finally, does it really make any sense for Disney to be partnered with a computer company?? At least there was a half-decent reason for Disney to be partnered with Comcast (for distribtion of content) even though I was against the idea. Why would Disney need to be partnered with Apple?

Also, how could Apple afford to buy Disney. That is what is good about Disney, it is such a huge company, it is hard for it to be gobbled up by another.

This is just one analyst's attempt to get some press.

dflye

Pat X said:
Also, how could Apple afford to buy Disney. That is what is good about Disney, it is such a huge company, it is hard for it to be gobbled up by another.
Well, it may be large, but Apple actually has a slightly larger market cap value as far as the stock market is concerned. At the market close on Friday, AAPL was worth 60.64B, DIS was worth 53.88B. For comparison, PIXR closed at 7.59B

That doesn't seem like enough difference in price between AAPL and DIS for either company to swallow up the other without selling off several first born to swing the deal. DIS buying PIXR wasn't farfetched at all, as they are almost an order of magnitude different in market cap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom