Recipe???

MissM

Dole Whip - was a bomb for me. Tried this in desperation a couple months ago. Bleck. First off, it didn't freeze enough to start - it wouldn't go past slushy stage - then, when it did, it turned basically into an italian ice type thing. No way did it have even remotely the consistancy of soft-serve (which is one of the key parts to it's yumminess). It also wasn't creamy enough and it too tart for me and not nearly pineappley enough. Dunno, I was bummed. It was a lot of work actually and I ended up tossing the whole thing out. :(

Now a request! I made a post about this before but no one really knew about it so I'll drop it here and maybe someone can help.

Several years ago (like four or five), I was working for a company that had their annual meeting in Orlando. On the last night we were there, they took the group of us to Pleasure Island. And they rented out the Adventurers Club for us to have a buffet dinner and a little entertainment.

One of the items in the buffet were these carmalized apple glaze ribs. I don't even like ribs and I went back for seconds. I would have gone back for thirds but they were so good we actually ate every bit of them (and unsuccesfully asked for more).

Since then, I've kept an eye out for them but have never seen them anywhere else. Are they actually available on property somewhere or is that just one of those oddball things they made up for the catering event? I would assume someone, somewhere would have them though I must admit I've never searched through the 500-odd places that serve food individually. Too hard. Hence the asking you fine folks.

Not BBQ. Carmalized apple glaze. And they were broken up in chaffing dishes as individual pieces, but I'm sure they'd be just as tasty as a rack.
Someone suggested it might have been a catering-only item. Anyone know if you can get recipes for that kind of thing as well and if so, to whom do you put your request to? Those were the most delicious things and I've love to have them again.

Thanks in advance for any help!
-m

1stStarIC2nite

WOW! This thread is awesome! I'll definately have to make some of this stuff sometime when I'm feeling WDW-Homesick. And I love cooking, so it's even better! :D

But, I was wondering if anyone had the recipe for the following dishes. One was the Gazpacho from Spoodles, and the other one was the Sticky Buns from the Disney Wonder (or would the be just like Sticky Mickey's :veryconfu ). These two were just a few of they wonderful foods we had on our last vacation, and if anyone also has stuff from Whispering Canyon Cafe, that would rock! Thanks in advance! :D :wave:

tigsmom

MissM said:
Dole Whip - was a bomb for me. Tried this in desperation a couple months ago. Bleck. First off, it didn't freeze enough to start - it wouldn't go past slushy stage - then, when it did, it turned basically into an italian ice type thing. No way did it have even remotely the consistancy of soft-serve (which is one of the key parts to it's yumminess). It also wasn't creamy enough and it too tart for me and not nearly pineappley enough. Dunno, I was bummed. It was a lot of work actually and I ended up tossing the whole thing out. :(

Now a request! I made a post about this before but no one really knew about it so I'll drop it here and maybe someone can help.

Several years ago (like four or five), I was working for a company that had their annual meeting in Orlando. On the last night we were there, they took the group of us to Pleasure Island. And they rented out the Adventurers Club for us to have a buffet dinner and a little entertainment.

One of the items in the buffet were these carmalized apple glaze ribs. I don't even like ribs and I went back for seconds. I would have gone back for thirds but they were so good we actually ate every bit of them (and unsuccesfully asked for more).

Since then, I've kept an eye out for them but have never seen them anywhere else. Are they actually available on property somewhere or is that just one of those oddball things they made up for the catering event? I would assume someone, somewhere would have them though I must admit I've never searched through the 500-odd places that serve food individually. Too hard. Hence the asking you fine folks.

Not BBQ. Carmalized apple glaze. And they were broken up in chaffing dishes as individual pieces, but I'm sure they'd be just as tasty as a rack.
Someone suggested it might have been a catering-only item. Anyone know if you can get recipes for that kind of thing as well and if so, to whom do you put your request to? Those were the most delicious things and I've love to have them again.

Thanks in advance for any help!
-m

Almost everyone said the Dole Whips weren't pineapply enough. There are two different recipes posted so maybe you could try the other?

Caramelized apple glazed ribs? Sound yummy. Have you called or written to the Adventurer's Club? I'll do a search and see what I can find. :wave:

tigsmom

1stStarIC2nite said:
WOW! This thread is awesome! I'll definately have to make some of this stuff sometime when I'm feeling WDW-Homesick. And I love cooking, so it's even better! :D

But, I was wondering if anyone had the recipe for the following dishes. One was the Gazpacho from Spoodles, and the other one was the Sticky Buns from the Disney Wonder (or would the be just like Sticky Mickey's :veryconfu ). These two were just a few of they wonderful foods we had on our last vacation, and if anyone also has stuff from Whispering Canyon Cafe, that would rock! Thanks in advance! :D :wave:

Anything special from the Whispering Canyon? I think are some things posted already.

I found Gazpacho from the Brown Derby, but not Spoodles. Sorry. :wave:

1stStarIC2nite

tigsmom said:
Anything special from the Whispering Canyon? I think are some things posted already.

I found Gazpacho from the Brown Derby, but not Spoodles. Sorry. :wave:

Hmm.. the cornbread? :D I remember that being REALLY good! And that's okay about the Gazpacho ;).

Oh! What else was really good was the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge from the Main Street Bakery (I think...). Anything on that? :D

Thanks again :wave:

tigsmom

Cornbread, Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Yield: 12 servings.

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup milk

Instructions

1. Heat oven to 375 F.
2. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt. Add beaten eggs along with milk and vegetable oil. Use a whisk to stir mixture, mixing only enough to incorporate the elements. Pour batter into baking pan that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden. Cut in wedges and serve.

1stStarIC2nite

tigsmom said:
Cornbread, Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Yield: 12 servings.

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup milk

Instructions

1. Heat oven to 375 F.
2. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt. Add beaten eggs along with milk and vegetable oil. Use a whisk to stir mixture, mixing only enough to incorporate the elements. Pour batter into baking pan that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden. Cut in wedges and serve.

Thank you so much! Can't wait to try it! I'll probably do it sometime soon... :D

DarkImage4

MissM said:

-m

Hmm...I've made the Dole Whip recipe several times and though it's been a while since we've had the real thing, we all think it tasted pretty true to the real thing. It is true however that after running in the ice cream machine it was not overly solid, but the consistancy was pretty close to that of soft serve. Even when we put it in the frezzer, it come out later as a smooth creamy ice cream. Is it possible that there "might " have been a mistake made when you made it? With the huge amount of cream and milk in the mix, I don't understand how it couldn't come out creamy. The only thing we changed in the recipe is adding a little yellow food coloring to the mix to make it look a little more "pineapple-y".

Maybe we're just weird...

Sorry it didn't work for you....

Also, we tried the exact same recipe with orange juice. It was very good, however, it would need a little less sugar and a little more OJ than the original recipe.

tigsmom

Parmesan Potatoes from Chef Mickey's, Contemporary resort

3 large baking potatoes
3 Tbsp. butter
1/2 C. grated parmesan
1 C. warm milk

Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks and boil about 15 minutes until tender. Mash, using a potato masher or a heavy fork. Put back in the pot with the butter, cheese and milk. Blend well, adding salt and pepper to taste. (Do not use a food processor for this recipe.)

MissM

tigsmom said:
Caramelized apple glazed ribs? Sound yummy. Have you called or written to the Adventurer's Club? I'll do a search and see what I can find. :wave:
No, to be honest, I never knew anything about even getting recipes or such. So this is all kind of new to me. I appreciate any info you can find.

DarkImage4 said:
Hmm...I've made the Dole Whip recipe several times and though it's been a while since we've had the real thing, we all think it tasted pretty true to the real thing. It is true however that after running in the ice cream machine it was not overly solid, but the consistancy was pretty close to that of soft serve. Even when we put it in the frezzer, it come out later as a smooth creamy ice cream. Is it possible that there "might " have been a mistake made when you made it? With the huge amount of cream and milk in the mix, I don't understand how it couldn't come out creamy. The only thing we changed in the recipe is adding a little yellow food coloring to the mix to make it look a little more "pineapple-y".
Well, the one I tried I got offline somewhere (not here) and it didn't call for an ice cream maker (which I don't own). And, like I said, at first, it wouldn't even freeze properly. It was literally slush. When it did freeze, it just turned into a literal solid block that you couldn't scoop, you had to shave. (Hence the "italian ice" consistancy comment.) It was awful. I did follow the directions to the recipe I had to the T - and it was a lot of work! - but it simply didn't work. :(

Thankfully, I was able to get a real one when I was there last on July 26th. It'll have to hold me over for awhile. I have experiemented with making pineapple smoothies - just to get a nice pineapple taste since there's not a lot of pineapple stuff to be had - with some moderate success.

I don't know though, maybe I need a different recipe and better ice-cream making equpitment! *chuckles* (Or just order a soft-serve machine since you can buy the mix if you have a machine!)
-m

tigsmom

MissM said:
No, to be honest, I never knew anything about even getting recipes or such. So this is all kind of new to me. I appreciate any info you can find.

Well, the one I tried I got offline somewhere (not here) and it didn't call for an ice cream maker (which I don't own). And, like I said, at first, it wouldn't even freeze properly. It was literally slush. When it did freeze, it just turned into a literal solid block that you couldn't scoop, you had to shave. (Hence the "italian ice" consistancy comment.) It was awful. I did follow the directions to the recipe I had to the T - and it was a lot of work! - but it simply didn't work. :(

Thankfully, I was able to get a real one when I was there last on July 26th. It'll have to hold me over for awhile. I have experiemented with making pineapple smoothies - just to get a nice pineapple taste since there's not a lot of pineapple stuff to be had - with some moderate success.

I don't know though, maybe I need a different recipe and better ice-cream making equpitment! *chuckles* (Or just order a soft-serve machine since you can buy the mix if you have a machine!)
-m

$60 per case with a three case minimum? :eek:
Its cheaper to buy an Ice Cream Maker (I have a Cuisinart & paid $89). :lol:

I haven't had any luck with those ribs, but I'll keep looking. :wave:

MissM

Oh I didn't mean to imply I was serious. It's like $13,000 for a soft-serve machine! *laughs* The cost per case and case minimum order isn't nothing compared to the soft-serve machine itself! ;)
-m

tigsmom

MissM said:
Oh I didn't mean to imply I was serious. It's like $13,000 for a soft-serve machine! *laughs* The cost per case and case minimum order isn't nothing compared to the soft-serve machine itself! ;)
-m

I wonder if a smoothie maker would work?
They have soft serve ice cream makers that are more along the lines of a blender. Would be cheaper. :lol:

DarkImage4

MissM said:

-m

Understood....I see what the problem is/was..

Well, if you get the chance, the recipe earlier on this thread is really good. If you can your hands on an ice cream machine, you should give it a try!.

MissM

DarkImage4 said:
Understood....I see what the problem is/was..

Well, if you get the chance, the recipe earlier on this thread is really good. If you can your hands on an ice cream machine, you should give it a try!.
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. Right now I'm jonesing for a deep fryer. Mmm...french fries at home.... *chuckles*
-m

tigsmom

Its a gloomy day here in New York so I'm thinking about cooking &/or baking something. Whats better than Disney food? :lol:

Awhile back people were asking for the pineapple bread from 'Ohana, I just found this...is it the same?

Pineapple Coconut Bread from Ohana
Disney's Polynesian Resort

Ingredients

1 3/4 C. Water 1 Egg Yolk
2 T. Shortening
4 1/2 C. High Gluten Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/3 C Sugar
1 T. Instant Yeast

Pinapple/Coconut Mixture:

1 C. Crushed pineapple
1 C. Unsweetened coconut
1 C. Sugar
2 T. Cornstarch

Directions

Pinapple/Coconut Mixture:

1. Combine pineapple and coconut in bowl.

2. Combine sugar and cornstarch in separate bowl and mix well.

3. Add sugar and cornstarch mixture into pineapple and coconut mixture and mix well.

4. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Bread:

1. Combine all ingredients in order of recipe in mixing bowl, and mix with dough hook until
dough picks up on hook and the sides of the mixing bowl is clean.

2. Let dough rise until it doubles in size.

3. Roll out dough onto a floured surface until it is 2 inches thick.

4. Next spread pineapple/coconut mixture over the top of the dough.

5. Fold dough into itself and place in a greased 9" x 13" cake pan.

6. Cut dough into pieces with a pizza cutter and spread out cut pieces evenly in cake pan.

7. Let dough rise in warm oven (110 degrees F) - about half way up the pan.

8. Bake at 325 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

9. Let bread cool, cut and serve.

tigsmom

Somebody mentioned this in the thread of their "favorite things"..

Pot Roast
50's Prime Time Cafe Disney-MGM Studios

Ingredients

5 lb. top or bottom round roast
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
7 1/2 c. beef bouillon
1/4 c. olive oil
Method

1. Preheat oven to 350º. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Brown the meat on all sides and remove the meat to a roasting pan.

2. Sauté the cut vegetables until golden brown, and add to the roasting pan. Pour the beef bouillon into the pan to lift off all of the caramelized vegetables and beef. Pour liquid over the roast and cover. Cook 30-45 min. per pound.

3. Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minute. Serve with your favorite starch and enjoy.

tigsmom

From the Orlando Sentinal

Schnitzel With Tomato and Mushroom Sauce (Hunter Sauce)
Epcot's Biergarten Restaurant

Yield: 4 servings.

4 (3-ounce) portions (veal, pork or chicken cutlet)
Salt to taste Black pepper to taste
2 eggs
1/2 cup bread crumbs

Sauce:

4 ounces demi-glaze (dry package classic sauce mix, look for brands such as Knorr)
1 cup large diced onion
1/2 cup large diced plum tomatoes
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 fresh rosemary sprigs
4 cups water
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup small diced plum tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley

Pound desired meat cutlet to tenderize. Rub in salt and pepper. Beat egg and dip each cutlet in the egg then the bread crumbs. Sauté until golden brown. Keep warm.

For the sauce, prepare the demi-glaze as directed on the package. Set aside. In a saucepan, sauté the onion. Add large diced tomatoes, garlic, and rosemary and continue to sauté until the onions are golden brown. Pour water to another saucepan and add the prepared demi-glaze sauce mix. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until it thickens. Add the sautéed vegetable mixture to the demi-glaze and let simmer 8-10 minutes. Strain. Sauté the mushrooms in a skillet. Add small diced tomatoes and cook until there is a little liquid left in the skillet. Season with salt and black pepper. Add the chopped parsley. Mix with the demi-glaze sauce.

To serve, place prepared cutlet on plate and spoon tomato and mushroom sauce over cutlet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom