Updates on Kilamanjaro Safaris Refurb?

Tip Top Club

I will miss the radio trasmissions. If they are removing the poacher plot, it would be nice to have some brief transmissions with someone like Miss Jobson, to say a few words about the animals, or the surrounding area. But that's not happening...

RSoxNo1

I will miss the radio trasmissions. If they are removing the poacher plot, it would be nice to have some brief transmissions with someone like Miss Jobson, to say a few words about the animals, or the surrounding area. But that's not happening...

They are Tommies. Tommies!

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

I'd rather the drivers just be allowed to talk about the animals themselves, since they're able to react to situations. I know a bunch of the drivers quite well, and they're happy to finally be rid of the phony radio transmissions. Like I said, the best drivers mute him most of the time, anyway.

Tip Top Club

That depends on your definition of Best, and I guess what I meant was more about your surroundings than the animals, and mostly in dead space like where the Tilting Bridge is now, or between sections like Ituri/Safi, Safi/Savanna, Etc...There is certainly no need for a random "Head west!" Transmission right before the Cheetahs, I've never understood that one.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

I'd rather the drivers just be allowed to talk about the animals themselves, since they're able to react to situations. I know a bunch of the drivers quite well, and they're happy to finally be rid of the phony radio transmissions. Like I said, the best drivers mute him most of the time, anyway.

I'm of two minds. I don't mind losing the poacher plot at all. But the "transmissions" with Wilson and dear-departed Miss Jobson also helped support the "illusion" that you are on a working animal preserve. (I put "illusion" in quotes because, in fact, the area really is a working preserve -- just not in Africa, and not in area tha might be subject to incursions from poachers or other outside influences.)

Showing us zebras is great, and I won't miss the story/plot, but the ambiance/atmosphere was helped by the the tranmissions from Wilson. We'll see how it goes.

steve76

Original Poster
I'm not particularly sad to see the storyline go, although I do worry slightly that the ride needs some kind of finale, and the chase at the end did provide that. It will be interesting to see what they do of it, especially since it seems a fairly small space that they have to work with.

ToTBellHop

I'm not particularly sad to see the storyline go, although I do worry slightly that the ride needs some kind of finale, and the chase at the end did provide that. It will be interesting to see what they do of it, especially since it seems a fairly small space that they have to work with.
Yeah, they need some sort of reason for the safari ending so quickly...unless they no longer intend to refer to it as a real, multi-week safari (in which case it becomes more similar to the Jungle Cruise).

RSoxNo1

Yeah, they need some sort of reason for the safari ending so quickly...unless they no longer intend to refer to it as a real, multi-week safari (in which case it becomes more similar to the Jungle Cruise).

That's one line of dialogue at the beginning of the ride, that shouldn't be tough to change.

jt04

Heard an update on the new scene. The last rides that will feature Wilson, the poachers, and Little Red will be sometime at the end of April 2012. Once you pass through the broken gate, normally you will make a right turn and sort of zig-zag around geysers, pass a campsite, and eventually Little Red. That will soon become a straight away and the zebras will be placed on at least one side if not both. This means the geysers will be removed eventually too. Currently, fresh grass/sod has been placed down in the area, but the camp and Little Red still exist. They will be removed in May 2012. The new part of the safari will be called Zebra Glen. The transmission between Simba 1 and Wilson will be removed in that part of the attraction. I'm not sure if the Wilson audio will be affected for the rest of the attraction, but it is possible that Wilson will be removed entirely. Working cast will drive through the construction area and will tell guests about the new addition while construction takes place.

Zebras will be on both sides, and Wilson will be retiring for good.

Awesome. This new version might even get me to visit again. I have a feeling this will be well worth it.

MickeyPeace

Disney is all about story. The attraction needs some sort of storyline since it is an attraction inside of a themed land, Africa.

Just being a safari in Africa is not enough for WDW. I hope that some sort of storyline is inserted to give it another level of interest and detail.

I took the Backstage Safari Tour last year. Included is a private safari tour. I got to see what it would be like without the poacher storyline. The guide gave some info about the animals (like the CMs do) and also revealed little secrets about how things work. I enjoyed it but as an attraction Kilimanjaro Safaris needs some sort of story or it wouldn't be a Disney attraction.

Just look at Conservation Station/Rafikis Planet watch. I love this area. But most people don't because it is what it is and doesn't have a story overlay. Most people find it boring or too much like a zoo. It's too bad because it is entertaining and educational as well as inspiring.

Here is part one of the safari without the poacher storyline and Wilson. See if you enjoy it less, more or the same. It is in 3 parts. I'll only put a link to part one, if you want to see more its on youtube.
http://youtu.be/r6Mrxs2KS9k

dreamscometrue

Just look at Conservation Station/Rafikis Planet watch. I love this area. But most people don't because it is what it is and doesn't have a story overlay. Most people find it boring or too much like a zoo. It's too bad because it is entertaining and educational as well as inspiring.

This is a 'hidden' gem.

We visited this area last month for the first time in 3 years, and were surprised how much we enjoyed it. We went soon after the park opened and very much enjoyed the 'Rainforest rooms' and really had fun with the remote cameras. It was kind of neat watching the Kilimanjaro Safari animals and seeing the ride vehicles go by. Also, they were doing an annual physical on a cheetah right there in front of us, and it was so cool to see everything on the video monitors. A Cheetah's insides look the same as a person's insides...at least to me. :)

The doctors and other staff were super helpful and explained a lot. We looked at large bugs, watchd the food being prepared...it was a great 90 minutes back there. Plus, you take a train and that's always fun! :)

MickeyPeace

This is a 'hidden' gem.

We visited this area last month for the first time in 3 years, and were surprised how much we enjoyed it. We went soon after the park opened and very much enjoyed the 'Rainforest rooms' and really had fun with the remote cameras. It was kind of neat watching the Kilimanjaro Safari animals and seeing the ride vehicles go by. Also, they were doing an annual physical on a cheetah right there in front of us, and it was so cool to see everything on the video monitors. A Cheetah's insides look the same as a person's insides...at least to me. :)

The doctors and other staff were super helpful and explained a lot. We looked at large bugs, watchd the food being prepared...it was a great 90 minutes back there. Plus, you take a train and that's always fun! :)

I agree with you. I really enjoy it too. The CMs in the building are there for you to interact with. They will tell you interesting stories about the animals and the effort Disney is making with conservation. I talked to a CM about a turtle that they had tracked throughout its travels. There was a display with things to touch and examine. It was great.
The Rainforest Rooms are a wonderful place to sit and listen to sounds of the rain forests in a dark, air-conditioned private room. It's like a peaceful meditation break in the middle of a busy, hot, humid day.
Then you could go out and pet and brush the goats. Watch the other animals eat ice and interact with people. It's so cool to do that and then go ride Everest, lol.
Also, if you take the Backstage Safari Tour, part of it you get to go through the rooms that you see through the windows where the operations take place. You get to meet and talk with staff. At one point you get to be on stage in one of the rooms. I recommend taking the tour as well as visiting Rafikis Planet Watch.

Zummi Gummi

I agree with you. I really enjoy it too. The CMs in the building are there for you to interact with. They will tell you interesting stories about the animals and the effort Disney is making with conservation. I talked to a CM about a turtle that they had tracked throughout its travels. There was a display with things to touch and examine. It was great.
The Rainforest Rooms are a wonderful place to sit and listen to sounds of the rain forests in a dark, air-conditioned private room. It's like a peaceful meditation break in the middle of a busy, hot, humid day.
Then you could go out and pet and brush the goats. Watch the other animals eat ice and interact with people. It's so cool to do that and then go ride Everest, lol.
Also, if you take the Backstage Safari Tour, part of it you get to go through the rooms that you see through the windows where the operations take place. You get to meet and talk with staff. At one point you get to be on stage in one of the rooms. I recommend taking the tour as well as visiting Rafikis Planet Watch.

I actually enjoy that particular tour MUCH more than the Wild Africa Trek, which while enjoyable, is grossly overpriced. Backstage Safari is significantly less expensive, and I think you learn a lot more.

I also love Rafiki's Planet Watch and once spent nearly three hours in there without even realizing it.

dreamscometrue

I actually enjoy that particular tour MUCH more than the Wild Africa Trek, which while enjoyable, is grossly overpriced. Backstage Safari is significantly less expensive, and I think you learn a lot more.

We are (were?) planning the Wild Africa Trek for our family at Christmas (my wife is working overtime to pay for it, lol), but we'd never thought of the Backstage Safari. I think I'd better look into that. Thanks for the 'heads up'. :wave:

Tip Top Club

I spoke to someone at DAK today, and they seemed to think that the current storyline may have only about a week left...get it while you can!

Zummi Gummi

As of this morning, Wilson and the poachers storyline are gone.

I'll be riding the safari a little later so I'll report on the changes. I'll try to take a video as well.

dreamscometrue

I'll be riding the safari a little later so I'll report on the changes. I'll try to take a video as well.

Thanks for the update Nick. I'm all for a zebra 'watering hole' and seeing more animals, but I'll be interested to see what the backstory is without the poaching angle. I'm also trying to imagine what the entire area outside of the 'broken gates' will look like at the end of the ride.

I know it'll take months to transform, but looking forward to finding out what has changed today. Thanks.

Figments Friend

YES! What a wonderful way with words - perfectly describes the experience. So glad i am not the only one who savours this hidden gem admist the trees of DAK !

:wave:

Figments Friend

Wow...just in time for Earth Day then.

Thanks Nick, looking forward to your update. Really interested to hear what the drivers are currantly saying along the route.

:)

Tip Top Club

Nothing in the spiel will change for about a week. (Although there were Baby Warthogs out there for about an hour yesterday morning!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom