A Private Dance with Cinderella... Our Surprise Trip Jan 2011

A Private Dance with Cinderella... Our Surprise Trip Jan 2011 (Completed 7/18!)

Exhibit A: Your Letter Confirming Your Reservation At The Nuthouse

Dear Sir/Madam:

This letter confirms your willingness to enter the strange, yet enticing world of the ramblings of the amateur writer known in the Disney community as BigTex71. Please sign the guest log (by replying in this thread) and let it be known that you waive all your rights to a normal trip report. By acknowledging your willingness to continue down this dangerous path, I cannot be held responsible for any sudden outbursts of laughter or rashes on your scalp due to the head-scratching some of my keyboard-induced quirkiness may induce.

Consider yourself warned.

Possibly Sincerely,
BigTex71

BigTex71

Original Poster
Preface: Come in! Come in and know me better, man!

For those of you who have not read my pre-trip report, WHY THE HECK NOT?! Am I really going to have to set the stage again? Well, if you are as lazy as I am and don’t like clicking on links to other reports just to read this one, you are in luck! I am going to include a little background information about me and my family. This will be a quick - and maybe even informative – way to get to know the characters you will be reading about (if you continue past this part of this ‘unique’ trip report.)

Me, Myself, and I: I am an avid Disneyholic and got ‘bitten’ by the Disney bug a few years ago. I live for my family and for visits to Disney destinations. Between trips I like to watch baseball (I have been an avid Texas Rangers fan since I was born), play Rock Band/Guitar Hero games with my son, watch movies, play golf (even though I haven’t played in years – but hopefully that will change this spring), and hang out with my family. I recently became a home-based travel agent specializing in Disney vacations in addition to my regular gig as an IT Server Administrator for a cutting-edge medical group. I may have been told once or twice that I have a unique sense of humor – I’ll leave that up to you, though.

DW: She has to put up with my shenanigans on a daily basis, so feel sorry for her. She is starting to move over to the light of being a self-proclaimed Disneyholic, too. She works full-time and still finds time to play with the kids, clean house, and help our son with his homework. I am a lucky guy. (Yes, she will probably read this.)

DS: A 10 year old boy who likes Disney, video games, Harry Potter stuff, video games, eating, video games, hanging out with the family, video games… well, you get the picture.

DD: She turned 4 a few days before we surprised the kids with this trip to The World. So it was a birthday celebration trip in addition to the family vacation. She is a Disney Princess (at least in her mind), loves to play dress-up and she likes to play Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique makeover at home (as well as watch other BBB videos on You Tube daily.) She may be slightly spoiled – but in a good way.
DM: My mother since birth. She is a kind and generous woman who is sweeter than the day is long. She likes to hang out with family and have a good time, though her 'earth experience' causes her to pass on some of the more exciting rides at Disney.

If you want more background about us or the build-up for this trip, please feel free to read my Pre-Trip Report here.

Up next, how we surprised the kids with the trip…

BigTex71

Original Poster
Chapter 1: Wait! Wait! We are going to the castle TODAY?!

January 28, 2011 – Day 1

We woke up on Friday, January 28th, and proceeded to act as if it were just another ordinary day. My children were starting to get really excited about their upcoming trip to Walt Disney World – which they thought was just a few short months ahead. Little did they know that all that planning we had been doing for our ‘Spring Break’ trip was actually for the trip that would start today. I was very excited and woke up several times during the night – like a kid at Christmas. The glowing blue lights of my alarm clock read 2:25am… back to sleep. 3:45am… back to sleep. 4:20am… argh! *snore* 5:30am. I tried to go back to sleep, but I couldn’t – I was ready to go open my presents! But I had to play it cool for a little while to not give away the secret until it was time.

I got out of bed and noticed, not surprisingly, that DW was also up a little earlier than normal. We exchanged sly smiles and she took her shower to start her normal get-ready-for-work ritual to the Gods of Divine Beauty. DD was up by this time and crawled into my bed for her normal get-ready-for-school TV watching. I then started my get-ready-for-work regimen. We all got ready, including DS, and left about the same time from the house. DW took DS to school and reminded him that he has a (fake) orthodontist appointment in the afternoon. She would pick him up and we would have lunch together before his appointment. I proceeded to take DD to her preschool as usual.

A little back-story: The plan for lunch was to order pizza and then bring out the surprise cookie ‘cake’ that we would have DS read aloud so DD could know what was going on. This was a deviation from the original plan of going to Bosses Pizza for lunch – mainly due to time constraints. Adapt, improvise, and overcome, right? We had explained to the kids that Grandmother and Grandpa would be coming to visit (from Tyler, Texas – about a 3 hour drive) and would possibly have lunch with us also if they arrived in time. And my mom – grandma - may also stop by to have lunch with us since she took the day off work. I was worried DS would start to think something was up, but it all worked out- he was Mr. Oblivious (thank goodness.)

After the kids were dropped off, the packing derby started. I pull out the suitcases and start getting my things packed. DW had set aside some items and we were able to get all the packing done before noon. While I had started the packing, DW – thinking swiftly – went and picked up a large cookie ‘cake’ from Wal-Mart. We had planned to make a homemade cookie, but timing was not on our side today – and she thought the smell of freshly baked cookies would definitely set off the something-is-not-quite-right alarm. When she brought it home I put the surprise wording on it so it would be ready for the big reveal. We stuck it in the oven to keep it out of site. (Yes, the oven was off!)
IMG_1999.jpg

My in-laws showed up around 10:00am along with Nana (DW’s grandmother.) Around noon-ish, DW picked up the kids. She informed DS that his orthodontist appointment was canceled, but she had already planned to have lunch with everyone so she took him out of school anyway. DD was picked up and they all came home. As they pulled up, the pizza delivery guy was at the door and my mom showed up then also. It was like a perfect timing triage – a good sign for things to come. (Or was it?! Could I be foreshadowing something? Or could I be throwing in some extra crap to read for the humor factor? Hmmm… you will just have to wait and see.)

We had our pizza then I got the camera ready to record what happened next. Here is the link to the video:
Click me to see the crudely edited video

DS was taken aback. DD didn’t quite grasp what was transpiring at the time. About 10 minutes after the video, she was in our room while we finished packing and it hit her like a ton of Dilithium, “Wait! Wait! We are going to the castle TODAY?!” She got so giddy. I wish I had the video rolling at the time. Too cute - you will just have to take my word for it. (Duh, this is a trip report. I could type just about anything and you would have to take my word for it, huh? *Evil Laugh*)

The in-laws left, taking our Maltese puppies because they would be watching them while we were gone. Then we made sure we had everything packed and DM dropped us off at the airport. We made it to the airport early and easily caught our flight to Tampa. Wait... Tampa?!

In the next chapter: Why we flew in to Tampa International, and the condo.

Adventure

Great start! The cookie came out great. I wonder what it would have looked like if you had the time to make it yourself. The way you used the Disney script was probably way better than the bakery clerk could have done.

BigTex71

Original Poster
Great start! The cookie came out great. I wonder what it would have looked like if you had the time to make it yourself. The way you used the Disney script was probably way better than the bakery clerk could have done.

Thank you! :D

TakeMeThere81 said:
This cookie cake is awesome!! You did such a great job with the writing!

And thank you! :D

BigTex71

Original Poster
Chapter 2: Planes, Condos, and Automobiles

January 28, 2011 – Day 1 (cont’d)

Does cheaper flight + cheaper car rental offset longer drive? That was the $64,000 question.

However, I didn’t realize how much longer a drive it was from the Tampa airport to Disney property, as opposed to the Orlando airport. I had heard others say it takes about 45 minutes from Orlando airport to Disney property, and Tampa is about an hour. Using that information, surely Tampa is the way to go, right? [Uh, don’t call me surely (or Shirley.)] Looking back, I realize the 45 minutes from Orlando airport must have been talking about some type of rush hour traffic, during major road construction, or pulling over for a short nap on the way. I live in the metro area that was just named “worst commute in the country” by some magazine – I don’t know which. I am used to driving in traffic. I am used to ‘rush hour’ meaning 6am – 10am and 3pm – 7pm. And the 'about an hour' from Tampa must have been someone with a DeLorean and a Flux Capacitor. Knowing what I know now, we will stick with the Orlando airport from now on.

Here is a little time line for you to show why:

8:05pm – flight arrives at Tampa International
8:15pm – flight arrives at gate
8:25pm – get off flight
8:50pm – pull rental car up at arrival area to load family and luggage
8:58pm – start driving to condo
9:15pm – DD asleep in car seat, realize we didn’t eat dinner
9:21pm – go through McDonald’s drive thru, sit in parking lot eating while DD sleeps
9:33pm – back on I-4 East towards Orlando
11:01pm – stop at Super Target (near condo) for supplies; realize Super Target closes at 11pm
11:06pm – stop at Publix for supplies; realize Publix closes at 11pm
11:11pm – stop at 24hr Wal*Mart for supplies; realize 24hr Wal*Mart closes at 11pm (not really, I went in for supplies while DW, DD, and DS slept in van)
11:35pm – drive to condo
11:45pm – arrive at condo
12:05am – finish unloading luggage and supplies (by myself while DW, DS, and DD sleep in condo)
12:55am – finish unpacking most items and finally get to lay down to sleep, prepared to wake up at 6:45am to get ready for RD at MK

Now that I found out (through my Universal Orlando training for my travel business) Universal offers a package with a one day 'park hopper' pass with free transportation to/from a Disney resort – we will be avoiding the car rental altogether and stay on Disney property next time. The condo was very nice, clean, spacious, and great… but we really missed the Disney buses from the Disney resorts. And we missed being dropped off right near the entrance to Magic Kingdom. And we missed being able to easily and conveniently take an afternoon break back at the room without the following: loading on ferry boat/monorail to the TTC, loading on tram to parking area, walking to parking space, getting loaded into van, drive to condo, unload and break, load back up and drive back to TTC, loading on tram, loading on ferry boat/monorail to Magic Kingdom. When staying at the resort it is short and sweet (like me): hop on bus to resort; break; hop on bus to MK.

In conclusion to the whole off site condo thing: the condo was great, but the logistics didn’t fit our family situation well. When you only spend time away from the parks to sleep, shower, and get ready to go back to the parks – all the space the condo affords goes to waste. It did come in handy when we left early one night and used the pool, but the Disney resorts have pools, too. We would have been just fine with a value or moderate resort instead with less overall hassle for us. That is why we are already looking into a return trip with an on-site stay this summer (DW feels guilty for recommending an off-site condo. Should I tell her that it was my idea? Nah, I’ll let her think… wait, she will be reading this eventually. Honey, disregard the previous two sentences, OK?) Overall it was a great vacation with the condo and rental car, but we really got spoiled by the on-site resorts the last few times we have been.

In the next chapter: MK day and a magical moment for DD! (And I will start putting in photos from the trip – and maybe more video.)

BigTex71

Original Poster
Where did you find the deal about the Universal ticket and transportation? Thanks

Love the report so far!

It only appears on the Universaltravelagents.com website. So you have to book through a travel agent (unless you are one already.) :animwink:

But here is some info:
Universal Orlando® Resort Now has a ticket that can provide your clients the most convenient way to include Universal in their Orlando vacation. The new 1-Day Park-to-Park with FREE Roundtrip Transfers provides guests a 1-Day Park-to-Park experience with FREE transportation to Universal Orlando from Disney Area Hotels.
So I was wrong, it is a one day admission with access to BOTH parks and round trip transportation from the Disney hotels (I edited the chapter to reflect that now.)

Use your favorite travel agent, or feel free to contact me. You would have to PM me for my email address if you want to use me, because I am sure it is against the rules for me to spam my email address here. :D

darthspielberg

This reminds me of that commericial Disney World used to have where the parents surprise their kids with a trip to Disney on a birthday/christmas/something.

It's super awesome, you are awesome. Can't wait to read more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom