Walls in HM Queue

hpyhnt 1000

No matter how much people hate TDO and expect them to completely ruin everything they touch, I have a feeling they won't actually ruin this one.

I, for one, think it would be nice to add a tiny bit of variety to the HM queue. It's very blah and boring as it is. Yes, I understand it's not supposed to be a happy, jolly queue - but it could be more than a green tarp and brick walls with a queue format ala Fantasyland Dark Rides.
Maybe it will wind around a bit, and offer a better view of the river. Maybe there will be a decrepit old fountain that spurts water when you least expect it to. Maybe the tombstones with the Imagineers' signatures on them will merely be rearranged. Maybe guests in wheelchairs and ECVs will be able to experience the pre-show and stretch rooms instead of entering through the exit.

I'm excited to see what they do. If it's even as close to as good as their refurb of the mansion itself, I think it will be well received.

Exactly. The HM queue has always been rather lackluster, and this should do something to bring a bit more character and uniqueness to it. Maybe they'll use some kind of new technology to simulate names being carved on the headstones, or have the date of death magically disappear as the earth around the tomb begins to move. There are quite a few things they could do to enhance the cemetery without destroying the references to the Imagineers.

In short, what it sounds to me that they are doing is bringing a bit of "spirit" to the cemetery. For an attraction dedicated to ghosts and creeps and everything haunted, the cemetery (where you expect you would see some ghosts or unexplained things) has always been very dead looking. I think this new interactive queue will bring a few new effects to hint that there is something not quite right and that the people we think are dead may not be so dead after all...

inluvwithbeast

Exactly. The HM queue has always been rather lackluster, and this should do something to bring a bit more character and uniqueness to it. Maybe they'll use some kind of new technology to simulate names being carved on the headstones, or have the date of death magically disappear as the earth around the tomb begins to move. There are quite a few things they could do to enhance the cemetary without destroying the references to the Imagineers.

In short, what it sounds to me that they are doing is bringing a bit of "spirit" to the cemetary. For an attraction dedicated to ghosts and creeps and everything haunted, the cemetary (where you expect you would see some ghosts or unexplained things) has always been very dead looking. I think this new interactive queue will bring a few new effects to hint that there is something not quite right and that the people we think are dead may not be so dead after all...

I agree. And I also enjoyed your use of puns. :D

WDWGoof07

Yeah' react when it's too late.
TDO: Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to seeing how the interactive element is going to be incorporated as it may provide some clues into what we can expect from NextGen. I'm also glad that HM is getting some plussing.

docnabox

You didn't like "THE DELUGE"?? :fork:

j/k though I do think it was a brilliant short film, even for a small kid.
Well, call me kooky, but my brother and I LOVED the short film at Living Seas and the part where she talked about "the DELUGE" and the "whaaaannng" sound effect after she said it were our favorite parts. Even to this day, sometimes just out of the blue, I will look at him and say "the DELUGE" during a heavy rainstorm and he will follow with the sound effect!

I know, nutjob! :lookaroun

raven

Raven, for the love of God, could you please go talk to our Micechat brethren on their corresponding board? They're sharpening their pitchforks...

Better to react before if the final result is crap.

I love it how some are trying to make up other people's minds for them by bashing this idea before it even has a chance to come to life. If you don't like it, fine. But don't call it crap because you really don't know the end result. If you are a true Haunted Mansion Fan fan like I am then I think you would welcome the TLC they have been giving to the attraction.

Sounds like some people need to step down from the edge, not a good look.

Exactly

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I love it how some are trying to make up other people's minds for them by bashing this idea before it even has a chance to come to life. If you don't like it, fine. But don't call it crap because you really don't know the end result. If you are a true Haunted Mansion Fan fan like I am then I think you would welcome the TLC they have been giving to the attraction.

Good Grief, step away from the boards for a short bit and one would think the apocalypse was on its way with these changes. What will these people spout if there's no wait time? :rolleyes:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Exactly

I agree with you. I think this is great and am truly looking forward to an expanded queue with more special effects.

What's not to like?

cblodg

Exactly

Ah, I was waiting for someone to pull the "your not a true fan" crap card...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well, call me kooky, but my brother and I LOVED the short film at Living Seas and the part where she talked about "the DELUGE" and the "whaaaannng" sound effect after she said it were our favorite parts. Even to this day, sometimes just out of the blue, I will look at him and say "the DELUGE" during a heavy rainstorm and he will follow with the sound effect!

I know, nutjob! :lookaroun
I just hope that there is room in that padded cell for one more as I loved that movie. I wish Disney would release it on DVD. I would pick it up in a second.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I just hope that there is room in that padded cell for one more as I loved that movie. I wish Disney would release it on DVD. I would pick it up in a second.

You probably already know this but there are a few recordings of it on youtube...sure it's not great quality, but it still brings me back.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You probably already know this but there are a few recordings of it on youtube...sure it's not great quality, but it still brings me back.
Yeah I have seen them and they will do in a pinch but I would love to have a good source copy of that and many other ride videos.

HMF

If you are a true Haunted Mansion Fan fan like I am then I think you would welcome the TLC they have been giving to the attraction.
I am all for TLC but I am not for destroying a classic Attraction element and replacing it with a tacky interactive game.

Magenta Panther

What amazes me even more is that they've gone this long with a hanging corpse in the pre-show. I love it, personally. It gives the mansion just that little extra bit of darkness that it needs. But as sensitive as people are, and how easily feelings are hurt - I'm shocked that they haven't taken down the "terribly offensive gag poking fun at people who commit suicide by hanging themselves". :rolleyes:

I might be digressing a bit...but I swear, that when I first saw that hanging corpse in the stretching room, which when I was around 11 years old, I SWEAR there was a crash of lightning, and wind was buffeting the corpse all about...it was really effective and scary...but nowadays, the corpse just, well, hangs there, motionless...no wind, no buffeting..kind of hard to tell what's going on, really...

Is my memory faulty, or did the effect once exist as I've described it?

NYwdwfan

I might be digressing a bit...but I swear, that when I first saw that effect in the stretching room, when I was around 11 years old, I SWEAR there was a crash of lightning, and wind was buffeting the corpse all about...it was really effective and scary...but nowadays, the corpse just, well, hangs there, motionless...

Is my memory faulty, or did the effect once exist as I've described it?

I remember seeing it like that in July 2008 - but then again - that was the first time I ever looked up and saw it there and it was such a shock I may have embellished the memory a bit!

inluvwithbeast

I am all for TLC but I am not for destroying a classic Attraction element and replacing it with a tacky interactive game.

Is there a forehead-smacking emoticon?

Raven already stressed that NextGen doesn't mean videogame. Seriously, people complain about maintenance and upkeep of rides and then when something is actually done, people are crying for blood, pitchforks and torches in hand. Think the "Kill he Beast" scene in BAtB.

Tigger1988

Except you have no idea what it's going to be, you're ASSUMING it's going to be some sort of video game (even though it's been said it WON'T be). You know what they say happens when you assume...

Sounds like you want so badly for this to be terrible, so your moaning and groaning will be justified.

raven

Let me just say that had I not given information about this rehab most people here (or on some other websites) wouldn't know a thing about what is going on. I've been happy to hint at details such as these in the past but all the negative comments from some members here changed that. Guess I'll keep quiet now on any further details about this or any other project. All I can say now is wait until it opens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom