Princesses may not rule fantasy land after all! Frontierland expansion rumor reality?

Krack

Then trace it. You keep making this claim that it's the marketing, so perhaps you could substantiate that claim with some marketing that either impliedly or explicitly corroborates your point.

Disney used to market like this:

Old commercial 1

Old commercial 2

Old commercial 3

Now, here's a challenge ... find me a WDW commercial produced in the last 5 years that isn't at least primarily focused on two parents bringing their two kids (ages 5 to 8) to the Magic Kingdom.

Generally, the mother is shown in the commercial to be the one who pressed the issue (she discovered it was affordable, or she suggested the trip, or she's the one telling the kids to go to bed so they can go on the trip the next day). The husband will be enthusiastic, but has the "never would have realized it, unless you told me" attitude. 90% of the time, the little girl will be in a princess dress and the commercial will end with one of the kids hugging (or holding hands with) one of the characters.

After a quick search, here's four examples:

New commercial 1

New commercial 2

New commercial 3

New commercial 4 - this one's not even for WDW, it's for batteries, but it's still a Disney commercial

Now, maybe they've got a range of commercials showing elsewhere that I'm not seeing, but all I know is their marketing for the last 10-15 years has taken a dramatic shift away from "Fun for Everyone - look at all the varieties of things to do" to "Moms, you're screwing your kids if they don't get to go to Disney and hug Mickey or a Princess". If you don't have little kids, Disney isn't even close to interested in convincing you to come.

EDIT: In the interests of complete transparency and historical accuracy, the earliest example of what has become the model for their modern marketing was from a commercial right after WDW opened (and has to be the single most shameless commercial I've ever seen - I can't believe I found it on YouTube):

Saddest commercial ever

Evil Genius

That's funny because the first commercial that comes to mind for me isn't nearly a decade old and it's the one with the father laying wide eyed in bed saying to his wife "I'm too excited to sleep!"

Even with the videos you posted all you're doing is putting the spin you desire on them.

:shrug:My suggestion would be to lay off the paint chips for a while as they be be skewing your critical thinking skills.:shrug:

COProgressFan

I don't see why everyone is getting so up in arms over this. The fact is, Disney has changed their marketing in recent years. As discussed, a very major component of it is character meets. Marketing of WDW today makes a huge deal about meeting the characters, and as a result, visitors expect this to be a large part of their vacation experience. For many people, therefore, character meets ARE a main focus of the WDW experience. However, for many others, and for the first 25 years or so of the resort's existence, meeting characters was a fun activity for some, perhaps more of a bonus than a "must-do" part of a visit.

This is not to say that either way is right or wrong. However, I will say that promoting this way significantly narrows the audience, as has been mentioned. It is a cheaper and easier way out than have to actually do something of significance, such as say keeping the parks fresh, or adding significant new attractions or entertainment more than once every 5+ years.

"Castle! Princesses! Characters!" seems to be the new gist of marketing, and that is a lot difference from the meaning behind "The Vacation Kingdom of the World"

Krack

That's funny because the first commercial that comes to mind for me isn't nearly a decade old and it's the one with the father laying wide eyed in bed saying to his wife "I'm too excited to sleep!"

It's this one. You'll notice the commercial is the two kids talking about how Mom (not Dad) has been getting them so excited about their Disney trip.

If you don't think Disney has turned all it's marketing to moms with young kids (ages 5 to 8), we can agree to disagree.

Evil Genius

It's this one. You'll notice the commercial is the two kids talking about how Mom (not Dad) has been getting them so excited about their Disney trip.

If you don't think Disney has turned all it's marketing to moms with young kids (ages 5 to 8), we can agree to disagree.

I certainly believe we're going to have to. On this and many other things you mentioned. :brick:

Moving on...

aladdin2007

Almost. Now M&Gs are wildly popular because it's the sole focus of Disney's marketing.

Seriously, Disney learned about 15 years ago that rather than advertise to all demographics and try and learn what appeals to all people, it's far easier to put the full court press on soccer moms telling them that they are terrible parents if they don't take their child to Disney World to meet Mickey Mouse and Cinderella. You market to men and they say "hmm, that looks like fun - the kids would probably like it - maybe we'll go". You market to women and they announce, "we're going" and that it; whoa be the husband/boyfriend that doesn't let them get their way. And the quickest way to lean on the women is to convince them they might be a terrible mother. It doesn't hurt that once they are in the park, women spend ... and spend (and spend).

So that's it. It's why every commercial has a little girl dancing around in a princess dress. It's why WDW doesn't advertise in men's magazines anymore (or during sporting events). If you market the place as the Meet & Greet Kingdom, then there better be meet & greets all over the place when they get there. Because that's what they've been told to expect. It's why they are there.

Also becuase they are cheaper than rides, saves TDO bucks back into their own pockets. whoops did i say that. :zipit::lol:

CoffeeJedi

EDIT: In the interests of complete transparency and historical accuracy, the earliest example of what has become the model for their modern marketing was from a commercial right after WDW opened (and has to be the single most shameless commercial I've ever seen - I can't believe I found it on YouTube):

Saddest commercial ever

While I actually agree with everything you have to say regarding their marketing lately, that commercial is post-Epcot, so it was obviously filmed at least 11 years after WDW opened. (Sorry to be pedantic)

Also, anyone else remember the "20 Reasons to Visit Walt Disney World" campaign of the early 90's?

Evil Genius

Yeah, I agree with you. Why build C and D tickets when you can stick a kid in a costume for $10 an hour instead?

While I will agree with the whole cost issue and TDO doing things on the cheap and not developing ACTUAL attractions as well as these new meet and greets...(Why can't we have both? It's not like they're not making money hand over fist!)...I will have to state that these 'princesses' are so much more than just a kid in a costume! It takes a very special individual to truly fill the shoes of these small children's Disney idols. The level of commitment, patience and care these princesses must posses is extraordinary.

Krack

While I actually agree with everything you have to say regarding their marketing lately, that commercial is post-Epcot, so it was obviously filmed at least 11 years after WDW opened. (Sorry to be pedantic)

Also, anyone else remember the "20 Reasons to Visit Walt Disney World" campaign of the early 90's?

You've got me. As much as I like to think nothing happened prior to my existence (mid-70s), the Resort was in fact open prior to EPCOT Center. :)My earliest memories of WDW were from the first year EPCOT was open, which I'm guessing this commercial is contemporaneous with. I can remember watching it on TV, when I was little, so it couldn't have aired much after '82.

Animaniac93-98

Ripping out all of Snow White, reopening just as a temporary meet and greet, then closing again for work doesn't seem like the best use of time to me. Here's what I would suggest instead:

- Close the attraction as is

- Block off existing doorways into the attraction (where you enter into the castle and exit from the end scene), use the existing switch backs, cover the track and have the load area as a meet and greet while work is begin done behind the doors.

- Close meet and greet while load area, queue and exterior is worked on

- Reopen as new attraction or improved Snow White

I personally would miss the ride because I find it to be fun. It's the only Fantasyland dark ride that tries to be spooky/scary and the degrees to which it succeeds (or doesn't) makes it entertaining for me.

I would however, love to see it's replacement be the Sleeping Beauty attraction originally intended to go into that space or a better version of it.

But no Beauty and the Beast please, it's already getting the biggest section of the new expansion. There are so many other Disney movies that exist, it would seem like overkill to have so much of that one movie in the land.

jakeman

I looked at those, and then I looked at some others which I can't link because I'm at work (I watched the videos on my iPhone).

You are wrong.

There was a commercial from 1990 that had Donald relaxing a pool with a family.

Another commercial from 1992 that showed a family meeting characters.

You yourself even admitted that a commercial in 1971 was marketed the same way.

You know what I did noticed? Most the commercials I viewed that were definitively from prior to your "15-year Disney went down the crapper" timeframe were the same commercial cut up different with a different voice over.

Same flyover of each park.

Same people in white dress dancing infront of Mann's Chinese Theater.

Speaking of Chinese, same Chinese dancers from WS.

Same horses running along the beach of Bay Lake.

I'll be the first to admit that Youtube won't have a complete conpendium of the commercials, especially the older stuff.

However, based on the criteria we have to work with, you are wrong.

How much tin foil is on your hat?

imagineer boy

Old commercial 1

Old commercial 2

Old commercial 3

Now, here's a challenge ... find me a WDW commercial produced in the last 5 years that isn't at least primarily focused on two parents bringing their two kids (ages 5 to 8) to the Magic Kingdom.

Generally, the mother is shown in the commercial to be the one who pressed the issue (she discovered it was affordable, or she suggested the trip, or she's the one telling the kids to go to bed so they can go on the trip the next day). The husband will be enthusiastic, but has the "never would have realized it, unless you told me" attitude. 90% of the time, the little girl will be in a princess dress and the commercial will end with one of the kids hugging (or holding hands with) one of the characters.

After a quick search, here's four examples:

New commercial 1

New commercial 2

New commercial 3

New commercial 4 - this one's not even for WDW, it's for batteries, but it's still a Disney commercial

Now, maybe they've got a range of commercials showing elsewhere that I'm not seeing, but all I know is their marketing for the last 10-15 years has taken a dramatic shift away from "Fun for Everyone - look at all the varieties of things to do" to "Moms, you're screwing your kids if they don't get to go to Disney and hug Mickey or a Princess". If you don't have little kids, Disney isn't even close to interested in convincing you to come.

Saddest commercial ever

You win the thread!

And its these reasons why friends of mine think I'm obsessed with a "kiddie park." :brick:

jakeman

Jakeman, the burden of evidence lies on the one stating the claim.

Please provide counter evidence, thanks.
I did to the best of my ability.

To be perfectly honest, this is a fun distraction for me during my dull day of paper shuffling, so I'm not going to take the time and meticulously pick through Youtube videos and circumvent my work's VPN to post them here.

Simply search "Walt Disney World Commercial" in Youtube and draw your own conclusion.

I have nothing to gain by lying about what I saw, so you can either take my description as is or you can seek the commercials out yourself.

But I will add, that my favorite one I saw was Ruby Huxtable (sp?) skiing with Pluto.

lebeau

Jakeman, the burden of evidence lies on the one stating the claim.

Please provide counter evidence, thanks.

You do realize that your first sentence invalidates the need for counter evidence, no?

Krack needs to prove his case. No one needs to disprove it until he does.

CoffeeJedi

Not really, they're both making a claim; one is that Disney has changed their marketing of the parks towards moms with little girls, the other claim is that new commercials are made that still market toward a larger general demographic.

Also, anecdotal evidence isn't evidence. What we need to do is pretty much look at EVERY tv commercial for WDW produced since 1971 and identify trends, but.... it's a Thursday afternoon and we all probably have actual jobs we should working at ;)

jakeman

Not really, they're both making a claim; one is that Disney has changed their marketing of the parks towards moms with little girls, the other claim is that new commercials are made that still market toward a larger general demographic.

Also, anecdotal evidence isn't evidence. What we need to do is pretty much look at EVERY tv commercial for WDW produced since 1971 and identify trends, but.... it's a Thursday afternoon and we all probably have actual jobs we should working at ;)
My assertion is that Disney hasn't changed the way it marketed and that meeting the characters has always been a cornerstone of Disney marketing.

You are correct regarding the limits of what we can assertain without a complete respository of information.

However, I think it is easy enough to refute the claim that all marketing falls into the category that Krack believes it does.

The simplest one would be the Boom de yadda campaign from this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom