The Ecstacy and the Agony: 3/17-3/24 Trip Report

This report may be on interest to anyone travelling with small children, those staying at Port Orleans, or those considering the Disney Dining Plan (and of course to those who just enjoy reading about other people's Disney trips).

The title of this trip report comes from the Unofficial Guide's chapter regarding traveling to Walt Disney World with kids. We've been to WDW with kids before, but on this trip we had a 4-year-old and an infant. Over the course of a week, we all experienced plenty of ecstacy and agony.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have been fool-hearty enough to attempt such a trip. We went in 2008 when my wife was pregnant with our youngest. The idea behind that trip was that it would be a farewell to Orlando until the kids were old enough to really enjoy it.

But then a unique opportunity arose. I detailed the entire experience of planning this trip in this thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=545256. If you feel like reading the background of how this trip came to be, go back and read-up. We'll wait for you.

For those who didn't bother going back to read the pre-trip thread, here's a rundown on the players:

Obviously, there's me. I'm the Disney fan in the family. More specifically, I'm the Disney parks nut. I had been to MK as a kid and Epcot as a teen. But I didn't get crazy about Disney until I went as an adult. My wife was a big fan of Mickey Mouse. But she'd never been to WDW. So when I planned our honeymoon, I figured we had to go to WDW. To be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to it. A few years later, I am here on the forums and my wife tolerates my Disney "obessession".

Then there's my wife, Mindy. I've pretty much told her story as relates to WDW. Honestly, she would prefer a more relaxing vacation than Disney World. Her idea of a vacation would be somewhere she can watch TV and swim. Yes, she can do both of those things at WDW. But I'm constantly dragging her out to the theme parks.

Joey, our oldest daughter is 4 (going on 5). She's a girly girl and can sometimes be shy. Other times, she loves the spotlight. This was her third trip to WDW and she has some memories of previous trips. Also, I prepared her for the trip by showing her lots of videos and pictures. Before we left, she was appointed as "the boss" of what we would and wouldn't ride.

Kara is the baby of the family. At the time we decided to take the trip, she was just a happy little bundle. She just sat and smiled at us. She was slow to start crawling, but once she did, she took off. At 10 months, she started walking. Now at 11 months, there's no stopping her. She wants to explore everything all the time!

In a supporting role, we have my younger brother. He was a cheerleader in college and taught cheerleading for many years after that. Now, he has moved into a more professional career. But he still judges cheerleading competitions from time to time. One of the reasons he does this is that he gets free trips to WDW.

One more note before I get into the trip itself, there will be pictures. But it will take me a little while to get to them. So, bear with me.

Wed, 3/17: Arrival Day

Arrival day was agony pure and simple. I won't get too deeply into the details here as they are too painful to relive. Also, I think I've blocked them from my memory. Things started off promisingly enough with a cab ride to the airport. Joey had been looking forward to riding in a taxi for a very long time. And she finally got her wish.

When we arrived at the airport, we were immediately hit with a baggage handling fee. $20 per bag for three checked bags for a total of $60. This came as a surprise to me as an infrequent traveler. In 2008 (our last flight) there had been no such charge.

I knew Delta had changed their policy, but I didn't worry too much because I had bought the tickets prior to the policy change and we had been grandfathered in. It turns out, the new charges were for carry-on bags. With no other options, I grumbled as I paid $60 for my bags to go on vacation with me. My wife fumed.

The bag fees were a minor hiccup compared to the flight itself. As I mentioned before, Kara had recently discovered walking. Ever since, she has been exploring her surroundings like crazy. So for her, sitting on our laps for two hours was not in the cards. When we wouldn't let her play on the floor of the plane, she launched into a screaming fit that lasted for most of the flight.

If you've ever been on a flight with a crying baby, you know it's torture. But trust me, it's far worse when the screaming baby is yours. Thankfully, all the guests around us were very gracious. If they were bothered, no one let on. And several started playing games of peek-a-boo or smiling and waving. This would usually stop the fits for a brief time.

When drinks came around, we got Kara some water. She likes drinking from bottles of water, but it tends to make a mess. In this case, the mess was on me. This was followed by a biscotti cookie. The cookie plus the water formed a kind of cinnamon-scented cement which bonded to my shirt for the rest of the night.

We arrived at the Orlando airport exhausted. But we were excited to leave the negative behind us and start enjoying our vacation. Thanks to Magical Express, we didn't have to worry about carting around luggage in addition to two tiny tikes. However, we did have our double stroller and some carry-ons.

At one point during the trip through the airport, Kara pulled off one of her shoes. I scooped it up and put it in a carry-on bag. Later on, a couple stopped us and asked if we were missing a shoe. I assured them that we had the shoe in our bag. Until I looked and saw that the bag had a rip in it. We hadn't even made it out of the airport and we were down 1 shoe.

The shoe was a hand-me-down, so we decided to move on without it. Kara has a habit of tossing her shoes, so I never really understood the point of buying them anyway. She never wears them for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

When we got to Port Orleans, all the girls were tired. But I was still full of excitement. The resort was even more beautiful than it looked in pictures. It was sunny and cool. I was sure the tide would change once we got checked into our room.

The castmember at check-in was really taken with Kara. I had done on-line check-in, but it actually took a good ten minutes to complete the process because he kept stopping to play games with her. As a proud dad, I can't say as I minded. He gave her a sticker which she promptly ate (well, sucked on anyway).

We headed back to the room which was in building 28 in the Alligator Bayou section of the resort. It was a little challenging to find. The signs in Port Orleans aren't always as helpful as they could be. More than once during the trip, I took the scenic route to the room by accident. Usually, I didn't mind. But this time, we were all pretty tired.

When we got to the room, our bags weren't there. For me, this was not a big deal. I knew they were travelling separately from us. But apparently my wife didn't understand this when she packed. She had been counting on changing before we went out. So she wanted to stay in the room and wait on the bags to arrive. I didn't object as the idea of changing out of my cookie shirt was appealing.

After an hour or so, my wife reluctantly gave up on waiting for the bags. We had a lot to do and we were all getting hungry. Of course, I was still wearing a shirt covered in crushed up cookie cement. But with no idea how long we could be waiting, it seemed like a good idea to go get dinner.

The plan was to go to Downtown Disney. We were going to use our first counter service credits at Wolfgang Puck Express and then shop for an autograph book as I had promised Joey. Mindy and the girls would then head home and I would go to another resort to pick up our free tickets.

What we had not counted on was that Downtown Disney was packed. It was St Patrick's Day and even the counter service restaurants were standing room only. The line at Puck's was around the block. And my wife was now blaming me.

Mindy and the girls get especially grumpy when they are hungry. So I decided to try Earl of Sandwich thinking that the line would be shorter. I'm not sure if it was shorter or not, but it seemed to be moving faster. All the while, Joey was getting whinier, Kara was getting more fidgety and my wife was fuming.

I was trying to grab a table before we even got our food. But with two little kids in a double stroller, we had limited mobility. As soon as a table became available, someone else pushed through the crowd and grabbed it. No one took mercy on us.

After we got the food, I found an empty table outside. When I say it was empty, I mean it had been stripped of any and all chairs. But I noticed lots of people sitting at tables which were bigger than their party required (a theme that would run through most of our counter service experiences on this trip). I went from table to table asking for empty chairs. After being turned down a couple of times, I finally found a party that was willing to give up their empty chairs.

Finally, the day could turn around. Or so I thought. As soon as Joey saw her peanut butter and jelly sandwich, she started crying. She expected a pb&j on white bread with the crust cut off the way she would get it at home. Instead, she had a crusty, toasty thing that was completely foreign to her. She was inconsolable.

(The sandwich didn't go to waste. As would happen many times on the trip, Kara stepped up and finished Joey's meal.)

After our failed dinner, we went to World of Disney to buy the autograph book I had promised Joey. Joey and shopping go hand in hand. She would have been happy to stay in World of Disney all week. And after the pb&j debacle, I was happy to buy her something extra.

I showed her all of the autograph books and pens. She was very reluctant to commit to any one book or pen. Instead, she wanted to look at everything. Especially the toys. Unfortunately, I needed to see someone about our tickets and it was getting late.

My wife was still fuming about the entire situation, but she agreed to let me go pick up the theme park tickets. Long story short, I spent about two hours on Disney buses picking up the tickets. When I got back to the room, the girls were all asleep.

To my surprise, Joey had picked out an autograph book with Mickey and friends on it. I was sure she'd go for princesses or Tinker Bell. But instead she went for the old school autograph book with a matching Pluto pen. (more on this later). She also picked out a Vinylmation figure. (much more on this later).

Tired, weary and hoping to make it to Epcot by rope drop, I finally turned in to bed around 11:30.

Don't worry, folks. Things get a lot better on day 2. And we start taking pictures to break up all the text!

I'll post Day 2 as soon as possible. Thanks for reading.

smk

I declare this the best trip report I have ever read! I was so into it and then BAM! you stopped! Hurry back! :lol:

lebeau

Original Poster
Sun 3/21: The Storm pt. 2

Mindy and I had toured WDW in the rain before. Sometimes we brought ponchos with us. But if we didn't have them it was usually no big deal to pick them up on property. Ponchos are one of the few things for sale on property where they don't seem to gauge you too badly.

It wasn't raining very hard, so we figured we'd grab ponchos at some point as we toured the World Showcase. As it so happens, we entered almost exactly where we left off on our previous expedition into WS. So we figured we'd make our way around the pavillions we hadn't seen yet.

We moved pretty quickly due to the rain. But we stopped at all of the princess topiaries which Joey enjoyed immensely. We didn't take pictures though due to the rain and the fact that the camera battery was slowly dying. We wanted to save the battery for dinner with the princesses that night.

At gift shops, we'd ask if any of the cast members knew where we could buy a poncho. None of the cast members we asked had any idea. They would point us to the nearest gift shop and hope for the best. We weren't having any luck.

We did see a lot of characters at these gift shops with little to no wait in line. Again, I say to parents of kids who want to visit characters, the World Showcase can be a hidden gem for meet and greets. No one seems to no about these. Unfortunately, Joey had no interest in seeing characters unless it was at a character meal. So we kept on walking.

We stopped in Germany for pretzels. This was an excellent bang for the snack credit buck, but I have to admit I wasn't all that impressed. The pretzels were huge and plenty filling. But other than the immense amount of salt on the pretzel, I founf the pretzel itself rather bland. I much prefer the taste of a Super Pretzel from the grocery. But then, I'm not a big salt guy.

Shortly after we bought our pretzels, the rain really started to pick up. Fortunately, there was a table nearby with an umbrella for cover. We sat down and ate our snack and tried to wait out the rain. But it wasn't letting up. Eventually, I decided I had to go out and find some ponchos.

I ran through the rain and eventually found a store selling ponchos in France. I picked up one for each of us. But I made a fatal mistake. I did not get anything for the stroller.

I brought the ponchos back to where the girls were waiting. We all suited up. So of course the rain let up. Almost as soon as we put our ponchos on, we were taking them back off again.

Finally, we were able to start touring World Showcase again. We came to the Mexico pavillion and decided to ride the Grand Fiesta Tour. But we didn't get very far. As soon as we got inside, the rain started up again. The pyramid was flooded with people escaping the rain. They were spread out every where eating plates of nachos and making masks at the Kidcot center.

As soon as Joey saw the masks, I knew we were done for a while. That suited us just fine. We decided to wait out the rain again while Joey colored another mask.

Disney2010047.jpg

Once she was done, we made our way to the Grand Fiesta Tour. It was dark in the pyramid, so Joey was a little nervous. She was also distracted by all of the colorful Mexican art that was for sale. It looked like toys to her and she wanted to buy it. But eventually we got to the ride without having to buy any expensive trinkets.

Thankfully, the ride was a walk-on. And Joey absolutely loved it. The moment when Donald lost his pants was exactly her type of humor. She wanted to ride it again.

Once we finished with the Mexico pavillion, we made our way back out to the stroller. I immediately realized the error of my ways. The stroller had covers that blocked the sun from getting in the kids' eyes. But it didn't do a lot about the rain. The seats were soaked. Even with ponchos, the kids couldn't really sit in the stroller any more.

So now we had to carry the children through the rain and push this gigantic double stroller. It was like in those war movies where they are always talking about the importance of keeping your socks dry. Once the stroller gets wet, you're done.

The rain only intesified as we tried to make our way back to Future World. Eventually, we ran for shelter. We followed a crowd and wound up camped outside the Odyssey center.

We stayed here for a while huddled up with a bunch of other guests. It reminded me of about a dozen Stephen King novels where a bunch of strangers hole up somewhere to hide from the terror that awaits just outside. There was no where to go and no indication that it would let up any time soon.

There was another group of older kids with us. They were racing around and being a little hyper. It wasn't a big deal except Kara wanted to play with them and she was constantly in danger of being knocked over. I'm not sure excatly who the kids belonged to, but eventually the grown-ups got sick of trying to reign them in and they left.

After a while, I got sick of sitting on the concrete waiting for the rain to let up. We decided to make a break for it. We got as far as Mousegear. I knew stopping here were cost some dough. But I figured we could kill a lot of time here and get the kids and the stroller out of the rain.

Almost immediately, Joey zeroed in on a Jessie doll. It was stuffed, not plastic and I'd say it was about 18 inches tall. It didn't really do anything, but there was a nice attention to detail. At $25, I wasn't especially keen on buying it. Especially given the obscene amount of stuffed animals that go unplayed with in my daughter's room.

Usually, when Joey picks something that costs a little more than I care to spend, I can just wait her out. Given enough time, she'll change her mind. The key is to head for the cash register as soon as she picks something relatively inexpensive.

But Joey wasn't budging. She was ready to check out. She knew she wanted Jessie and nothing else was going to do. We talked her into spending more time in the store to stay out of the rain. But I quickly realized that we'd be taking the $25 Jessie with us when we left.

The plan to stay out of the rain was going okay except for one thing. Mousegear had absoultely no place to sit down. If I put Kara down, she ravaged the shelves. Occassionally, I let her. But then I had to clean everything up. If I carried her, eventually my back started to ache again.

Eventually we left the store and sat on some covered benches outside. Joey was very pleased with her new doll and was ready to go home. Kara was asleep on my shoulder. She was cold and the rain showed no signs of letting up. Our diner reservation was about 90 minutes away and it was clear on the other side of the park.

Akerhus is one of those reservations that requires a credit card hold. So, I had to make a choice. We could try to tough out the rain for about another hour or so and then cross the park to eat dinner with the princess or we could cancel the reservation and go home for the cost of $10 each.

I looked at each of the girls. They clearly wanted to go home. Joey said as much. Mindy would only say it was up to me because she couldn't pull the trigger on paying $30 to NOT eat dinner. But I could tell that no one wanted to stay. I decided it wasn't worth staying and doing the princess meal if no one was going to have fun. I reached for my phone.

First I asked if there was any way the reservation could be moved up. Not surprisingly, it couldn't. I explained that we were stuck in the park and we were miserable due to the rain. Regrettably, we needed to cancel our reservations. I asked about the $10/person cancellation fee. The cast member confirmed that we would be charged if we cancelled.

"So, that would be $30, right?" I asked figuring there were three people who would have paid to eat.

"Let me check on that for you," the cast member replied. He was gone for a long time. At least once, I thought we were disconnected.

"Sir," he finally answered. "The fee would be $40. I show you have reservations for 4."

"One of them is an infant," I explained. "I didn't think we'd have to pay for her since we wouldn't actually pay for her meal."

"Sorry, sir," he replied. "If you need to cancel, I'll have to charge your credit card $40."

I looked at everyone one more time. No one said a word, but I could tell it was time to go home.

And that's how I came to pay $40 to NOT eat dinner with the princesses.

More to come...

lebeau

Original Poster
I declare this the best trip report I have ever read! I was so into it and then BAM! you stopped! Hurry back! :lol:

Ask and you will receive!

I'm glad you've enjoyed the trip report so far. Honestly, I was a little reluctant to write up this day because it didn't go so well. So I took a breather before diving back in.

Never fear, the rest of the trip report is mostly sunny. And it will come out more reguarily now that the unpleasant part is out of the way.

lebeau

Original Poster
I really hate that you had problems with the busses there at PO, while we stayed there, we had only two times with problems, and that was my fault! :lol: We were there for Halloween, not too crowded and we did enjoy talking to people to and from the parks, kids esp...they were always excited and would tell you anything! I know my daughter will be one of these! :sohappy:

We typically go to WDW in the fall and have never had any kind of trouble with the busses off season. But this was spring break. Unfortunately, we had to go at this time because that's when our free tickets were good. Otherwise, there's no way we'd have attempted this during spring break.

There were a lot of factors here. This is the first time we've traveled with two kids. Much less kids so young. We're used to the off season, but here we were during spring break. And then we stayed at a resort that doesn't handle the stress of busy season so well with regards to the bus routes.

Other than that, I really liked Port Orleans. It was like walking into The Princess and the Frog. But I don't think I could recommend it to families with small children during busy season given the bus issues.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Dude you REALLY REALLY need a solo trip. It seems like you walked on egg shells your whole trip because everyone was mad at you!

lebeau

Original Poster
Dude you REALLY REALLY need a solo trip. It seems like you walked on egg shells your whole trip because everyone was mad at you!

I wouldn't say I walked on egg shells. But I definitely tried to make sure everyone else was having a good time. Unfortunately, it didn't take much to sour the mood since Mindy really doesn't like WDW.

Honestly, I don't think I'd enjoy a solo trip. The thing I enjoy the most is experiencing WDW with the kids. And even Mindy has fun more often than she would care to admit.

What we need is some time away from WDW. We'll need to take a non-Disney vacation or two before we go back. And it will be easier when the kids are older. So in 3 or 4 years, I expect we'll have a much less stressful trip.

(Mindy suggested we wait at least 5 years, but I'm pretty sure we can shave at least a year off of that!) ;)

lebeau

Original Poster
5 years is WAY too long! I get goofy after 3 months!

lol!

Even I don't think I could go back more than once a year! But I agree, 5 years is too long. There's no way we'll wait 5 years. Joey's already asking to go back.

I figure we'll wait till the Fantasy Land expansion is done. Or if FL drags on longer than expected, we'll at least wait until the main work is done. We may not wait for Pixie Hollow.

By then, Kara should be old enough to get something out of it. Or at least not throw a fit when she can't play on the floor of the bus. And Joey will still be young enough to enjoy the kiddie stuff but maybe old enough to give some of the thrill rides a second chance.

That's the plan anyway. We'll see if I can hold out that long. If I feel like I'm going to break, I'll just go back and re-read this trip report. That should keep me from wanting to go back again before the kids are old enough.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
hahaha yeah go back and read this. It seems you guys get off to a good start and things get screwy, or things start screwy and end good...

lebeau

Original Poster
hahaha yeah go back and read this. It seems you guys get off to a good start and things get screwy, or things start screwy and end good...

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened.

Really, we only had 2 bad days. One was our arrival day. After that day, I seriously wondered if I would ever go back to WDW again. I was definitely in the dog house.

The second bad day was this rainy day. I started off in the dog house as I pretty much took the blame for all the bad timing with the boats and busses. But by the end of the day, everyone pulled together. Had I insisted on keeping our ressies, I may have gotten in the doghouse again. But since I cancelled them, I got a pass on our misadventures that day.

Other than that, it was mostly good times. A few minor snafus here and there, but that is what happens when you travel with small children. You'll find out soon enough, I imagine.

At the end of the day, everyone agrees we had a good time. Even Mindy. Joey's ready to go back now. Mindy would just as soon never go back again. And I'm ready once we can go from a double stroller to a single. And I'll probably rent a car next time even if we stay on property.

maggiegrace1

Gorgeous Girls!..:D

I personally think your wife needs to lighten up a little.:lookaroun..seems like she gets angry over things that you have no control of...but that may just be me seeing that..:shrug:

Seems though that in the end you did have a good time..and that is all that matters..:)

I personally would have told my other half to quit complaining or sit on a bench all day and let me enjoy my vacation!:D:lol:

lebeau

Original Poster
Sun 3/21: Recovery

After a rough day in the rain, we returned to Port Orleans cold, wet and tired. Since we had cancelled our ADRs for the evening, we went to the food court for dinner. Thankfully, this was one of the few times the place was not a mad house. It wasn't empty, but you could move around with a tray of food and not have to worry about bumping in to anyone.

Up until now, I had avoided any station at the food court that might involve a line. But since it was pretty slow, I resolved to try the build-your-own pasta I had read good things about before the trip.

First I help the girls get situated at the table. I believe Mindy had a double bacon cheeseburger. It looked greasy to me and not in a good way. But Mindy said it was good. Joey had the kid's chicken nugget meal which Kara helped her with. Once they were all settled, I lined up for my pasta.

I don't know if it was the fatigue or not, but that fettucini was good! It was on par with most of the sit down meals we had during the trip. Better than some. I highly recommend the build-your-own pasta to anyone staying at Port Orleans. It's one of the best counter-service experiences I've had at Disney.

After dinner, we headed back to the room. The rain had stopped, but no one suggested going back to the parks. Instead, we camped out on the beds and turned on the Disney channel. Snow White was on. We watched that and went to bed early.

Tomorrow, would be another day.

lebeau

Original Poster
Gorgeous Girls!..:D

I personally think your wife needs to lighten up a little.:lookaroun..seems like she gets angry over things that you have no control of...but that may just be me seeing that..:shrug:

Seems though that in the end you did have a good time..and that is all that matters..:)

I personally would have told my other half to quit complaining or sit on a bench all day and let me enjoy my vacation!:D:lol:

Thanks, they are cuties!

One of the goals of the trip was not to get divorced when I got back. Otherwise, I may have tried a more forceful approach!

I definitely had the deck stacked against me. Mindy decided during the flight that going to WDW again was a mistake. And since I'm the WDW fan in the family, the mistake was mine. Her logic went something like this:

1. Anything that goes wrong happened because we went to WDW
2. It was my fault we went to WDW

Therefore: Anything that went wrong was my fault.

In fairness, WDW with small kids can be pretty stressful. If you're already sick of WDW, it doesn't take much to push you over the edge. In a lot of ways, Mindy was a real trooper for toughing it out with me.

Lova ya, hun! :kiss:

maggiegrace1

Thanks, they are cuties!

One of the goals of the trip was not to get divorced when I got back. Otherwise, I may have tried a more forceful approach!
:ROFLOL:

Funny!..
I definitely had the deck stacked against me. Mindy decided during the flight that going to WDW again was a mistake. And since I'm the WDW fan in the family, the mistake was mine. Her logic went something like this:

1. Anything that goes wrong happened because we went to WDW
2. It was my fault we went to WDW

Therefore: Anything that went wrong was my fault.

In fairness, WDW with small kids can be pretty stressful. If you're already sick of WDW, it doesn't take much to push you over the edge. In a lot of ways, Mindy was a real trooper for toughing it out with me.

Lova ya, hun! :kiss:
:lol:

I totally get you on the fact that WDW with 2 kids can be stressful...and I was really kinda sorta..:lookaroun;) joking that I would have told my husband to sit on a bench...:D

She was a trooper..but I think you were also..you are a good husband and daddy from what I can tell..:kiss:

lebeau

Original Poster
Mon 3/22: Do-Over

To my surprise, everyone got up early the next morning and they were ready to give it another try at Epcot. The weather was nice, the stroller was dry and everyone was well-rested.

Joey insisted on taking Jessie with us. They had become inseparable. I couldn't help but think of Jessie's story in Toy Story 2 and how badly she wanted a little girl to play with. I also couldn't help but think of all the toys in Joey's room that were more or less abandoned. I felt bad for Jessie thinking that this would inevitably be her fate. But at least Jessie could enjoy the day, right?

We arrived at Epcot without much of a plan. We had a list of things we hadn't done and a few things we might want to try again. After bad experiences at Soarin and Big Thunder Mountain, we decided not to give Test Track a try. With no big draw must-dos on our list, we strolled right up to the "Big Ball" to see what was inside.

I hadn't ridden Spaceship Earth since 1988. None of the girls had ever been on it. Mindy saw the warning about close, dark spaces and asked me if she should be worried. She has pretty bad claustrophobia. From my hazy memory, I couldn't imagine it would be a problem.

We walked ride on the ride, but Kara was a little fussy. I fumbled around for a pacifier, but she wasn't having it.

Mindy turned around and asked how long the ride was. I told her it wasn't long. I assumed she was asking because Kara was fussy, but it seemed that he claustrophobia had kicked in after all.

Thankfully, I got Kara to settle down and the ride opened up a little at about the same time. Once the lights came on, everyone was breathing easier and enjoyed the rest of the experience.

A lot has been said about the Siemen's revamp of SSE. I won't say any more about it except that I agree with those who find the end underwhleming. Here's hoping someone coughs up the dough to finish what they started. This attraction deserves better.

After the ride, we were pleasantly surprised to see Mindy and Joey's faces on the big globe. Apparently, Joey had pushed the buttons because our home state was completely wrong. But Joey got a kick out of seeing her face on the big screen.

Joey wanted to try out some of the interactive exhibits. Even though there had been no wait for the ride itself, the video games were mobbed with teens. At one of the games, a couple of teens jumped in front of Joey and some other little kid. I'm not sure if they realized the kids were waiting to play or not. But they definitely didn't seem to care.

I waited in line on Joey's behalf so she could play the driving game. Her turn came and she had her 3 1/2 minutes of fun. The game is so simple, even Joey finished before the 5 minute time limit was up. She wanted to stay and play some more, but we talked her into moving on rather than sticking around and competing with older children for a chance to play.

Joey decided she wanted ice cream. So we headed over to the ice cream store only to discover it wasn't open yet. We had a little time to kill.

At this point, it was between revisiting Crush and riding the Figment ride. Joey was in one of her indecisive moods and kept changing her mind as we were en route. Eventually, she agreed to ride Figment.

Not surprisingly, this was also a walk-on. Again, I had not been on this ride since I was a teenager. Wow. Did they ever destroy a good attraction here! I know a lot has been written about Journey into Imagination, so I'll just say "What were they thinking?!?" and leave it at that.

Pretty much everybody thought the Figment ride was lame. We checked our watches. Still 10 minutes to kill before we could get Joey's ice cream. We decided to visit Club Cool.

No one had any idea what Club Cool was other than me. I figured Mindy would get a kick out of it since Coke is basically mother's milk to her. Joey never drinks soft drinks, so I didn'r expect her to enjoy it much. But I figured we could kill 10 minutes here pretty painlessly.

To my surprise, Club Cool sold Vinylamtion figures. (I really should have seen that coming. Those things are everywhere.) $10 later, Joey's collection had grown by one.

Mindy was reluctant to sample the drinks at first. I don't think she realized they were free. Plus, she doesn't really like to try new things. She likes Coke and that's it. No need to mess with it.

Eventually, she sampled everything but the Beverly. Not wanting to see the day derailed by a (literally) bitter after taste, I had warned her against trying it. I did sample it myself. I'd never had it before. I had read about Beverly. I'd even heard the song "My Girl Drinks Beverly." But I have to admit I was still surprised just how gross that stuff was. The bitterness just kept creepin up on me long after I had sipped it.

Joey really liked the non-carbonated Vegitabeta. She gulped down a few samples of it. It was the only one she would try since she didn't like soft drinks. But she loved re-filling her little cup. I think it made her feel like a grown up.

After Club Cool, Joey decided she didn't want ice cream after all. (Like I said, indecisive.) But Mindy wanted lunch. So we headed over to the Electric Umbrella so she could grab something quick. We almost didn't order anything because no one was impressed with the menu.

Mindy decided she would hold off for nachos in Mexico. Joey wanted to ride the "Donald ride" again and Mindy had liked the look of the nachos we saw when we visited the day before.

We did decide to stay and get Kara some chicken nuggest before we moved on. Joey assured us she wasn't hungry and she just wanted to go ride the Donald ride. I ordered the nugget meal and we sat down to let Kara eat.

After sneaking a nugget, Joey decided she was hungry after all. I got back in line and asked for an order of nuggets. No meal (the sides were going to waste most of the time anyway. Just nuggets.

I guess because I was an adult, the cast member rang up an order of adult nuggets. As we discovered at Cosmic Ray's, there is a difference at WDW between adult nuggets and kids nuggets. Personally, I prefer the chicken finger-like adult nuggets. But everyone else in my family likes the more traditinal children's nuggets.

I went back to my table expecting a melt down over the adult nuggets. But to my surprise, Joey didn't bat an eye. They were still too hot for her to eat, so she entertained herself running to and from the condiment stand fetching napkins, straws and ketchup.

At some point, this became a game. Somehow, the straws became dental equipment and Jessie was the patient. In between nuggets, Joey cleaned Jessie's teeth. I couldn't help but think Jessie enjoyed the attention even if it came at the expense of a dental cleaning via drinking utensils.

I had to help out a little with the order of adult nuggets. As chicken fingers go, these weren't bad. The girls were full and Mindy was ready for her nachos. We made our way over to the Mexico pavillion for nachos and the Donald ride.

When Joey saw the pyramid, she remembered that she could make another mask. Mindy lined up for her nachos and I took the girls inside.

As usual, the Kidcot station was mobbed. You'd think kids had never seen cardboard masks and Sharpies before! But this time, at least half the seats were being occupied by adults.

We tried to manuever the table to look for a spot where Joey could squeeze in and color her mask. No one was budging.

Finally, I asked loudly if anyone would be willing to give up their seat so a 4-year-old could color. I expected the nont-too-subtle guilt trip would work on at least one adult. But no. No, the adults just stared at me like I had two heads. Instead, a teenage got up and offered Joey a seat.

(Shame on you adults at the Mexico Pavillion who would not give a 4-year-old a seat at the coloring table. May it rain on you for the rest of your trip!)

Joey set about coloring the third mask of the trip. I sat down and entertained Kara on the floor. Mindy showed up with a huge plate of nachos. Because we were on the dining plan, her meal came with a Coke and a churro with a side of carmel sauce. Mindy kept the Coke, but she gave the churro to me. Kara and I enjoyed the heck out of that. Yum!

When Mindy was done, she traded me the rest of her nachos for Kara. The nachos were a bit cool at this point. But they were still good. And I'm not really a fan of nachos.

So, I'll take a minute here to editorialize about the dining plan. That one counter service credit was sufficient to feed Mindy, Kara and I for the entire afternoon. We ate more because we had credits to kill. But had we been paying out of pocket, we could have easily made due with less than half of the food. I think this is probably true for most families.

Once Joey finished with her mask and the nachos were properly disposed of, we made our way back to the Grand Fiesta Tour. I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure that makes us the first family ever to ride this ride on back-to-back days. Once again, it was a big hit with Joey.

By this point, we had recovered from the bad experiences of the day before. It was time for our afternoon break. So we decided to quit while we were ahead.

As usual, I took Joey to the pool while Mindy and Kara napped.

More to come...

lebeau

Original Poster
:lol:

I totally get you on the fact that WDW with 2 kids can be stressful...and I was really kinda sorta..:lookaroun;) joking that I would have told my husband to sit on a bench...:D

She was a trooper..but I think you were also..you are a good husband and daddy from what I can tell..:kiss:

Hey, thanks! I try!

When we're at WDW, I take the approach that Mindy is sacrificing so the kids and I can enjoy the kind of vacation we like. As best as I can, I try to suppress my inner Orlando Commando. Because if I push the group, I know things won't end well.

When we take things at a more relaxed pace, everyone seems to have a better time. (Even though I sometimes cry inside at the inefficiency of it all.)

I also make an effort to make sure everyone gets a chance to do things that they want to do even if it sometimes means I'm sitting on a bench while they ride rides.

It's more important to me to make the trip fun for them than it is for me to have fun myself. I figure if I'm successful, everyone will be more receptive to another trip next time I'm ready to go.

I *think* by the end of this trip my approach worked. Now the kids just need to get a little older and Disney needs to put in some new things for us to do!

lebeau

Original Poster
Mon 3/22: Sci-Fi

We had late dinner reservations at the Sci-Fi Dine-In that night. So there was no rush to be anywhere.

I'll editorialize about the dining plan again. Obviously, we had to have our reservations for our sit down meals booked months in advance. We started late due to a change in plans, and as a result we found it hard to get reservations anywhere close to what we wanted. But once we got down there, it was very restrictive to have to plan our day every day around meals we had committed to 4 months in advance.

Anyway, we headed out to DHS with plenty of time before our 7:30 reservations. Joey wanted to ride the Great Movie Ride again. So we figured we'd squeeze that in before dinner. If we got done too early, we'd find some ways to kill time as needed.

Once again, the GMR was a walk-on. Once again, it was a big hit with everybody. (Although our host totally blew his lines. It was so bad, he apologized. But I don't think anyone was paying much attention anyway so he probably could have just gone on without much of anyone noticing. On the upside, our Mugsy was better this time around.)

After GMR, we did indeed have time to kill before dinner. Mindy checked her blackberry to see what the wait times were (we did this several times and it was always helpful - yay technology). TSM was still a nightmare. The thrill rides were out of the question. So the Muppets seemed like our best option.

As always, I insisted we stop at the matt to check out the key. A nearby cast member asked Joey to bring it to him. She would probably still be pulling on that key if I hadn't eventually moved her along.

Like Mickey's Philharmagic, Joey had seen Muppetvision before. But she had never worn the glasses. Encouraged by her positive experience at the "Donald movie", Joey wore her 3-D glasses this time.

Having learned my lesson on Mickey's Philharmagic, I grabbed a couple of extra 3-D glasses for Kara to play with during the show. Worked like a charm. I got to experience the film in glorious 3-D from start to finish.

I know Muppetvision is long in the tooth. And I know they are planning to refurb this attraction in some way. It seems like a shame to me. This is as close to a perfect WDW attraction as you will find. It just needs a little spit and polish.

Disney, do not mess up Muppetvision or I will be very cross with you!

After Muppetvision (and a quick stop in the Muppets store - Joey loved the signs I read to her), we headed over to the Sci Fi for dinner. We got seated in our car pretty quickly. At first, Kara was up front with me.

I say "at first" because Kara was outrageously bad. She started throwing everything that wasn't glued down out the "windshield" of the car. Once I had removed all throwable objects, she started trying to squirm her way onto the hood of the car. Any attempt to put her in a high chair was met with screaming. I was at a loss.

Fortunately, Mindy had more luck with Kara in the middle wor of seats. Otherwise, I'm not sure how we would have ever gotten through this meal.

Joey liked the atmosphere, but she didn't pay much attention to the movie. She sat quietly in the car and colored the children's menu. It entertained her for a very long time. Which is good, because the service was incredibly slow in spite of the fact they weren't remotely busy.

Another note on the dining plan: Mindy would have ordinarily ordered the chicken sandwich. However, she felt obligated to order the butcher steak in order to get the most bang for her table service buck. Similarly, I ordered the St. Louis-style ribs when I would have been satisfied with the cheaper reuben.

My expectations for food at the Sci Fi had been lowered by the mostly bad reviews I had read. So, I was pleasantly surprised with our meals. My ribs were tasty. I tried some of Mindy's steak. She thought it was great, though it was rare for my tastes.

Joey didn't like her salad because it was different from the one she usually gets at the 50's Prime Time. Kara ate her mac and cheese and Joey helped me out with my fries. Okay, Joey ate my fries. But there was more than enough food to go around. (As seems to always be the case on the meal plan.)

Of course we ordered dessert (which we probably would not have ordinarily done). Mindy loved her carmel cheesecake. So much so, that I didn't get a bite. Mindy never finishes anything, so this is high praise indeed.

I'm a big peanut butter fan. So there was no doubt I was ordering the chocolate and peanut butter cake. I was expecting something like a lava cake where the peanut butter would kind of ooze out. Only, no ooze. It was hard to tell in the dark (and that place is dark) but I'm pretty sure the peanut butter was a solid block.

The cake was tasty, don't get me wrong. It just wasn't what I expected. On its own, the cake was a little dry. But served with ice cream it was a good dessert. Just not exceptional.

By the time dinner was over, it was late by our standards. The park was still going to be open for another hour or so and there was no showing of Fantasmic! So we figured we'd hit the road before the busses got too bad.

Long story short, the bus was still a mess. In fact, we didn't get on the first bus. We had to wait for the second and it was standing-room only. I'd hate to think what the busses would be like at park close or on a night with Fantasmic!

darthspielberg

Great Report. It seems like you left WDW, and me and my family arrived!

Sorry to hear your wife didn't enjoy it as much as you, but it seems like she had some fun :)

lebeau

Original Poster
Great Report. It seems like you left WDW, and me and my family arrived!

Sorry to hear your wife didn't enjoy it as much as you, but it seems like she had some fun :)

I'd have liked to have gone the week you went instead of the week I went. From what I could tell, the weather got better and the lines got shorter.

Mindy had fun. She even speaks about the trip fondly. Just don't suggest she go back for a little while. She still wakes up in cold sweats thinking about the POR busses!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom