Race for the Taste and Twilight Zone 13k not returning 2010

jakeman

Original Poster
From my email today:

October 2009 is your last chance to run Disney's Race for the Taste 10K & 3K and The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ 13K and 5K! These races will not be returning in 2010.

That means it's the last chance to earn medals for these events before they head into the Disney Race medal vault!

Run both the 10K and 13K, and you will also be awarded the Fall Race Challenge medal! Experience the taste and terror of Disney's Endurance Series this fall and take home limited edition finisher medals and lasting memories!

Specially priced hotel rooms and theme park tickets are available for race participants, but you must book by September 10 to receive the special race rates. Visit Travel Details at disneyraceforthetaste.com and towerofterror13K.com for more information.

This fall, look for an upcoming announcement on future Disney races!

jakeman

Original Poster
I wouldn't be surprised if another marathon pops up around the fall time.

Glad we are running in Race for the Taste for the first time (and last I guess) this year.

maggiegrace1

I wouldn't be surprised if another marathon pops up around the fall time.

Glad we are running in Race for the Taste for the first time (and last I guess) this year.
Are you really?..You and your lovely wife?:D

That is so cool..I would love to do that..if I would get my booty back into running again I would like to do a Disney marathon..well half at least..:lol:

I will expect to see pictures..;)

DisneyMusician2

I hope they are replacing them with something else! It would be very disappointing to lose two great races.

Wouldn't mind seeing an Easter race....:)

Figment82

I just registered for both of them. :) I did both last year and had a blast, I'll be sorry to see them go after this year...

Main Street USA

More cost cutting! :( That's a shame seeing that some of the proceeds went to a good cause.
Not sure how this would be considered cost cutting. They make money off of both of these races every year.

Anyway, yeah, bummer. I ran the 13k in it's inaugural year and I'm also headed down to do it again this year...and I also did the 10k last year. Had a lot of fun at both.

EPCOT Explorer

Not sure how this would be considered cost cutting. They make money off of both of these races every year.

Anyway, yeah, bummer. I ran the 13k in it's inaugural year and I'm also headed down to do it again this year...and I also did the 10k last year. Had a lot of fun at both.

So, what do you call it?:lookaroun:lol:

ultramm

I did ToT in 2007 & will be doing RFTT this year.

ToT barely filled before the race after a great first year. Disney wants new races that fill fast. Most runners do 1st year for that new medal and don't do them again(except marathon weekend).

I believe they are going to replace both with a Fall Half Marathon that will run from Richard Petty along the last 1/2 of the marathon course. That was to be the Princess Half course originally. It is already USATF certified so they need a new race to use the course! My guess it will be a "Pirates" themed race to match the 2011 release of Pirate's #4 movie!

jakeman

Original Poster
More cost cutting! :( That's a shame seeing that some of the proceeds went to a good cause.
Perhaps you missed this part:

This fall, look for an upcoming announcement on future Disney races!

I wouldn't read too much into it until after the announcement.

I'll echo what other's have said, a half or full marathon in the begining of November would be my bet. Crowds are light and weather is nice, only problem is the proximity to the January one.

EPCOT Explorer

Perhaps you missed this part:

I wouldn't read too much into it until after the announcement.

I'll echo what other's have said, a half or full marathon in the begining of November would be my bet. Crowds are light and weather is nice, only problem is the proximity to the January one.

The OP made it sound like they may be replacing the races with something else. The ToT race was started in 07 to commemorate the 13th anniversary of the opening of ToT.

Ahhh...So what's the problem? It seems as though they are just replacing them.

Will the running be any different?:lookaroun:lol:

CaptainMichael

Like others have said, new races are more enticing. It's good that they're not letting the races get stagnant (although I'd like to have a chance to run the ToT 13K). We're always complaining about not having enough new offerings, and it looks like WWoS is delivering something new. Perhaps we'll get the EPCOT or Space Mountain 1/2 Marathon or something cool.

I would love to see more races in the spring, or just make the ESPN run more substantial. A Star Wars Weekend run could be fun also.

jakeman

Original Poster

No problem. I just thought it was news that they weren't coming back, that's all.

Aside from the marketing, these races probably cost about the same no matter when or what theme they are.

By rotating or replacing them (which is the assumption) regularly it gives runners more incentive to take multiple trips a year.

MKCP 1985

I am really sad to see the Tower of Terror 13K discontinued. It is the most "themed" race you will ever do. The first year had some birthing pains but last year's race was perfect.

If I didn't have a scheduling conflict, I'd be back there this year without question.

If you have the opportunity to do the full 13K in October, jump on it and bring a disposable camera. You won't regret it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom