Space Mountain Heading to the Scrap Heap :)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I'm thinking that it was planned for the refurb and then taken out as budgets got tighter? I guess they just forgot the website...:rolleyes::lol:
That or the trickle down effect took some time. Trust me, I have been on the receiving end of that before. Management makes decision, sits around patting each other on back about decision, goes to play golf, wakes up next morning with scotch hangover and remembers they need to inform marketing group to contact all parties (including internal) to remove content about said decision and they get mad when I say it will be 2 business days for that to happen since it ingrained so deeply in website and collateral. I see it all the time. :D

basic rules of general construction.. Get all of your Demo (demolition) out of the way first.. rip out EVERYTHING that isn't staying.. Then you clean up the site and prep for the new build-outs and installation...
I cant decide which is more fun... demo of building.

I think I like the first 30 minutes of demo, then clean up come in (boring)
I like the full project of anything building.

EPCOT Explorer

That or the trickle down effect took some time. Trust me, I have been on the receiving end of that before. Management makes decision, sits around patting each other on back about decision, goes to play golf, wakes up next morning with scotch hangover and remembers they need to inform marketing group to contact all parties (including internal) to remove content about said decision and they get mad when I say it will be 2 business days for that to happen since it ingrained so deeply in website and collateral. I see it all the time. :D

I cant decide which is more fun... demo of building.

I think I like the first 30 minutes of demo, then clean up come in (boring)
I like the full project of anything building.
Ah, corporate America, how disorganized you are.:rolleyes::lol:

Thanks, Joel.

Rob562

Well, to help drag this thread back on-topic, we got a big ol' nugget of info for the rumor/discussion mill in today's filing with the county...

WDI filed for "SMR Interactive Queue A/V Package". I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what the hell "SMR" could stand for. The address wasn't really much help, 4950 N. World Drive. Then I realized that hey, there really isn't anything on World Drive that would have any kind of a queue other than Space Mountain. The Contemporary's address is 4600 N. World Drive, so 4950 would be about right for SM.

So, thoughts on this "interactive queue"? Are we just going to get annoying group games that don't fit the theme at all like Soarin'? Or are we going to get something that actually *works* with SM's theme?

And thoughts on the fact that they filed it as "SMR"? Perhaps it was a typo, perhaps they're trying to be sneaky in their filings by throwing us sleuths off the trail... Or, will we be seeing some sort of addition to the name when it reopens?
(Space Mountain Retro? Space Mountain Rockets? Space Mountain Redux? Space Mountain Rodeo starring Woody & Bullseye?)

-Rob

SirGoofy

Well, to help drag this thread back on-topic, we got a big ol' nugget of info for the rumor/discussion mill in today's filing with the county...

WDI filed for "SMR Interactive Queue A/V Package". I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what the hell "SMR" could stand for. The address wasn't really much help, 4950 N. World Drive. Then I realized that hey, there really isn't anything on World Drive that would have any kind of a queue other than Space Mountain. The Contemporary's address is 4600 N. World Drive, so 4950 would be about right for SM.

So, thoughts on this "interactive queue"? Are we just going to get annoying group games that don't fit the theme at all like Soarin'? Or are we going to get something that actually *works* with SM's theme?

And thoughts on the fact that they filed it as "SMR"? Perhaps it was a typo, perhaps they're trying to be sneaky in their filings by throwing us sleuths off the trail... Or, will we be seeing some sort of addition to the name when it reopens?
(Space Mountain Retro? Space Mountain Rockets? Space Mountain Redux? Space Mountain Rodeo starring Woody & Bullseye?)

-Rob

Hmmmm interactive you say? Interesting. I'll agree that a Soarin' esque interactivity would be disappointing, but if it was something more, that would be great.

CaptainMichael

-Rob

Space Mountain Rehab
Space Mountain Refurb
??

jt04

OK then.She said she also saw them bringing loading gates in a week ago.they were silver and had a place for lighting.

Themed air gates is 100% definite, I've seen the full scale mock up of them. Think fancy blue lighting... Don't ask how, when, or why I saw them, just know that it is accurate information.

Thankyou Magicmaya for this tidbit of information.

I believe you and hope you stay around. I had read some of your early Space Mountain contributions and I could tell you knew what you were talking about. So when you write about lighted loading gates I believe you.

Anyway, as I tell everyone, this place can be tough but if you can put up with being challanged then you can learn a lot here. And keep posting you have a lot to add. That's why all your waving stuff made me do this :brick:

:wave: until Maya returns.

PS- I am the one on your side. Ironic, isn't it?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Ah, corporate America, how disorganized you are.:rolleyes::lol:

Thanks, Joel.
LOL... i could be WAY off, just an example of how I have been involved with information on our site that was wrong or incorrect, but we didnt get word until a day or two later to remove.

Hmmmm interactive you say? Interesting. I'll agree that a Soarin' esque interactivity would be disappointing, but if it was something more, that would be great.
Unfortunately I havent been in the queue with a long enough wait time to see this. I read about it, but simply cant recall what it even does.

BTW: from post earlier and the Airgate lighting and internal lighting package that i said was brilliant, I'll say that my fav external is Paris. Or was Paris. Not sure if they have maintained the quality.

Lee

Adventurer
While not trying to discredit Lee or jump to conclusions about information I don't know to be 100% factual... I'd like to hazard a guess that there is in fact some new equipment inside of the mountain and that some of it has been there for a bit. Installed during third shift prior to SM going down in areas not accessible to guests and not turned on yet as it was useless in the pre-refurb SM. Plans change and my guess could be completely wrong, but just thought I'd throw it out there.
Actually, you are kinda right.
Some stuff that will be used in the post-refurb SM was put into the building months ago.
However, none of it was track, supports or air gates.

Also....blue. Earned a point right there.
I have been told that the major color scheme will indeed be blue and silver. (Lime green?:veryconfu)

Lee

Adventurer

Attachments

• stitch_mountain_1.jpg
    stitch_mountain_1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 118

CrashNet

FYI for those who haven't seen...all references to audio of any kind were removed from the main website page last night: WDW Space Moutain Website

I can't imagine you wanting any more proof than that to back up the information provided by those in the know.

EPCOT Explorer

Good luck getting into Central without proper ID.:lol:

I'll send some questions out, see what I can find out.
Awaiting eagerly...:D

-Rob
Well, that's interesting...:D Quite happy about this.
Space Mountain Rehab
Space Mountain Refurb
??
Right.
Actually, you are kinda right.
Some stuff that will be used in the post-refurb SM was put into the building months ago.
However, none of it was track, supports or air gates.

Also....blue. Earned a point right there.
I have been told that the major color scheme will indeed be blue and silver.
(Lime green?:veryconfu)

:sohappy::sohappy:

Now THAT is VERY good news. Maybe SM will get a painting? And loose the horrid orange sign?

GothMickey

Yep, and there's more!

I posted that as a joke, but, that concept art out there depicting Space Mountain as Stitch Mountain was serious? :brick:

Glad the idea was trashed, and now, knowing this, I am not feeling so bad about this half-hearted refurb, as long as Stitch is not making an appearance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom