I got the WDW stomach bug....

Gig 'Em Mickey

Just got back and I'm beat so I'll do a trip report Monday. But quick warning to anyone who might be going down. There is a nasty stomach bug working its way through Disney. I was up all night losing my stomach from, ahem, both ends. Virtually simultaneously. :hurl: Sorry if that's too graphic. I would recommend bringing lysol wipes and thouroughly clean the hotel room, and put some in a ziploc in case you need to use facilities in a park. I got no sleep, essentially had no food or water, 101 degree fever, and still managed to make it to MGM and Downtown. I'm sure I wasn't the most pleasant person to be around, but I did go. Lasted about 12-15 hours.

More horror stories to come, but of no fault of disney.

Disney_Belle

Unfortunately I think its just everywhere right now, not just Disney.

I'm really sorry you got so sick on your vacation :( Hopefully you at least got a couple of good days!

My brother, sister and sister in law all had it one day after each other, though none of their kids got it.

I live in Mass and I know from October - December and then again from March/April it makes its way through my family one by one. Just as one recovers the next gets it.

Knock on wood and I hope I don't jynx myself, I only get a bad cold. I have no voice right now (my husband thinks its hilarious lol) but I have a cold instead of the stomach virus. But I would rather have it now than in 3 1/2 weeks when I'm in WDW.

My aunt and her son actually got really sick in WDW a few years ago and she came home to find out she had pneumonia and was stuck in bed for a month :(

Just stock up on lysol wipes, hand sanitizer, and take Vitamin C and airborn. A lot of the germs come from the plane ride too.

Ugh, I hate germs lol.

Upvote 0

Disney_Belle

Thanks for the heads up. I am heading down on the 1st of January and staying at 2 different hotels.

A rule of thumb for me has always been to go right to walmart after checking in and getting Lysol wipes, lysol disinfectant spray and antibacterial lotion. I put everything in a ziplock bag and put in my jacket pocket (a small quantity) before heading out to the parks. In the room, my beds get a though check and clean.

Sounds like what I do!!! My husband makes fun of me and says I'm paranoid but I don't think you can ever be too safe with the amount of people who are in WDW. I always carry some wipes and antibacterial hand stuff with me. Along with a mini first aid kit lol. I put them in my bag to go to the parks because you can never be too safe lol.

Upvote 0

bugsbunny

I ate at Chef Mickey on Saturday 5PM 12/6. I was so sick with it coming out of both ends for the next 24 hours, that I said to my wife "If were in any country right now other than the United States, I would think I have cholera". It was that bad and I was contemplating going to the hospital for fear of dehydration.

I ended up bed ridden for 3 days on my vacation. I had stomach cramps the rest of the trip that I can only describe that it felt like I was trying to digest steel wool. I couldn't eat and the lack of energy meant I couldn't do the normal death march around the parks.

Simply awful.

Upvote 0

LoriMistress

Sorry for getting sick on your vacation. I normally get sick when I go to WDW. The first time I got a really bad sinus infection that made me lose my voice during the last few days of our vacation. On our last trip I ate too many shrimp which made me have a bad stomach reaction. I had to leave Epcot early, miss Illuminations (but we saw Illuminations several times throughout our trip), and stayed the rest of the night in the bathroom. The next day I felt a million times better.

Can't wait to read your trip report!

Upvote 0

marcriss

We were there the 6th -16th and my 2yr old got the same thing. She couldn't keep anything down for about 15 hrs.

Just a piece of advice: The Babycare centers and Disney hotels carry Pedialite. We called our local pediatrician who told us to give that to her right away (it is better than anything, water was making her sick). Once we started that she stopped throwing up.

Upvote 0

nibblesandbits

I think it was Brazilians..... just kidding

If it was food poisoning it came from Yorkshire fish in Epcot. That's the only meal where no one else in my family had any. I'm the only one that ate fish. It was good fish though. No I think I just got a bug. It happens. Nobody's fault. But it did suck. So just use some common sense precautions. I usually do, but I slacked off a little and paid the price.
I'm like you...I got ill on the 14, but I can only assume mine was food poisoning...I was only :hurl:, nothing else. It lasted about 24 hours and I was fine after. (It probably would have been shorter, though, if I hadn't felt the need to keep myself from throwing up...see the next part on why.)

The unfortunate part was that it happened on the day I was to go back home...and traveling on the ME bus which was freezing and quite hurky and jerky did not go well...let's just say I had to get off the bus immediately. :( I just wanted to go home and be sick...not be in the airport and have to pretend to be well.

I can only think mine was from the chocolate mousse cake in Norway. It's the only thing I ate that day that no one else ate too. I honestly don't think it was from anything else, but I guess anything is possible too.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I'm not trying to say Disney is food poison capital of the USA, but for the record, I will say this - I have gotten violently ill at WDW on 3 seperate ocassions, all food poisoning.

All Star Movies Food Court
Ohana
Flame Tree BBQ

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I ate at Chef Mickey on Saturday 5PM 12/6. I was so sick with it coming out of both ends for the next 24 hours, that I said to my wife "If were in any country right now other than the United States, I would think I have cholera". It was that bad and I was contemplating going to the hospital for fear of dehydration.

I ended up bed ridden for 3 days on my vacation. I had stomach cramps the rest of the trip that I can only describe that it felt like I was trying to digest steel wool. I couldn't eat and the lack of energy meant I couldn't do the normal death march around the parks.

Simply awful.

Exactly what I went through in August. 3rd time that's happened to me at WDW. If I thought I couold prove it, I'd consider taking legal action for food poisoning.

Once sucks. Twice is a bit much. Three times is simply ridiculous.

Upvote 0

dcibrando

it bothers me a little when people refer to this as the WDW stomach bug because let's face it folks... it's the flu (or something like it) that is going around and has been going around everywhere... not just WDW.

Let's not scare people into thinking you might get sick if you go to WDW...because you may catch it on the plane, at a rest stop, or at your local Wal-Mart before you even get there.

My wife and I were sick at WDW on our honeymoon...at first we thought it might have been food poisoning, but then my wife got sick after me (not at the same time) and then after doing some research, we most likely got it before we left or on the plane before we even got there...so let's not cause a panic....it has NOTHING to do with WDW :wave:

Upvote 0

Bug715

Fair enough.

I'm just saying, I've been sick 4 times in the past 10 years, and 3 times was at WDW.

It could just be that you are in closer contact with a larger number of people when you are at WDW? Also, you are toucing more and my forget or be too busy to wash your hands before eating something. Just a thought.

I know that a bad stomach bug went around my college about a month ago and luckily (knock on wood) I didn't get it.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Wow, I feel like I'm on a Disney vacation! Our family Christmas party got canceled for later today because too many of the kids have the stomach bug. Of course, we're over 1,000 miles from WDW, and none of the kids has been there in at least a year, but I'm sure it's related to the WDW stomach bug anyway. :brick:

PEOPLE!

There's a lot of illness out there in the entire USA right now. More people are sick almost everywhere than is usual right now.

You add onto that that travel induces stress (both mental and physical), which generally lowers the immune response. And your immune system has an easier time fighting bugs its encountered before. With so many people visiting WDW and bringing their local bugs with them, your immune system is challenged by all kinds of strange bugs its never seen before, making it easier for you to get sick.

Doctors are familiar with what is loosely caled "travelers sickness." It applies to any travelers anywhere ... it isn't a WDW phenomenon. But since we're on a WDW-themed board, we're not exactly talking about all the illness in Las Vegas right now.

Upvote 0

ssidiouss@mac.c

Fair enough.

I'm just saying, I've been sick 4 times in the past 10 years, and 3 times was at WDW.

You know whats odd.. the past 2 years I went to disney in march. And during both of my march trips I picked up a horrible congested chest cold each time. The exact same cold both trips. I had my doctor send anti-biotics and codine cough syrup in to the Pop Century though so it helped. I think this time I may bring some with me before the trip.. i 2/2 in march for the same exact chest cold.. bad coincidence i guess? Or maybe some type of florida/disney thing i can catch each year i dunno.

Upvote 0

H20Babie

I've never caught a stomach bug in WDW, but I have come down with some major colds. I blame it on the recirculated airplane air.

As for the flu, it's making its rounds up here too, in a big way. I don't know of any family that hasn't been affected by it in some way. 'Tis the holiday season!

Upvote 0

kstella

I got a virus just like that last Memorial Day weekend. It was awful. I ended up getting an IV at the ER on Memorial Day and then shared the experience with both my parents. I was out of commission for 5 days.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom