jt04

wdw website has updated the operational refurbs for January 2009 :(
and include:

Dumbo won't be flying Jan 7/09;
No Hall of President Jan 1 - 31/09;
No Splash Mountain Jan 4 - 17/09; &
No Mickey's Philharmagic Jan 18 -31/09

yet, still nothing official :zipit: on space mountain

My bet is SM closes Feb 1 '09 if the refurb happens at all.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Expect the HoP dates to look like that for February. And March. And April....

The SM rehab is turning into a farce.

Senderella

Thanks for the update! I was just now looking to see what was going to happen with Space & Splash for January. Looks like we're gonna have to hit Splash as soon as we get there!

EpcotServo

Something I made for another thread...
picture.php

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Expect the HoP dates to look like that for February. And March. And April....

That's a shame.

It appears that the "powers that be" are listening to the lopsided poll research of some bean counters that don't want to fork out the money for a proper refurb.

We all know that you can skew surveys to reflect whatever your agenda is for the day.

jt04

Something I made for another thread...
picture.php

Nice!

The optimistic side of me is hopeful someone in authority decided the planned rehab was not good enough and they are now doing an emergency rehab (2009) with a proper rehab (complete gutting for a single track configuration) scheduled in the not-so-distant future (2011?)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Nice!

The optimistic side of me is hopeful someone in authority decided the planned rehab was not good enough and they are now doing an emergency rehab (2009) with a proper rehab (complete gutting for a single track configuration) scheduled in the not-so-distant future (2011?)

But the realist in me says that temporary measures at WDW tend to be permanent.

gjpjtj

I'm so disappointed about Splash Mountain being down.:(
We arrive on the 8th and leave on the 17th. It will be down our whole trip.

Guess that's what you get in Value season.

Enigma

Account Suspended
I don't think WDW management ever seriously considered refurbing space mountain. It was just wishful thinking because all the other space mountains got refurbed. I kinda hope one night after closing the whole track just collapses because its so old and then the'll feel stupid for not refurbing it properly.

hardcard

I'm so disappointed about Splash Mountain being down.:(
We arrive on the 8th and leave on the 17th. It will be down our whole trip.

Guess that's what you get in Value season.

yeah.. that always stinks when a biggie is out during your visit... Splash is pretty-much always down during that particular time frame.. annually..

Meanwhile, I would expect that the space mountain rehab will indeed take place this year.... even the new Birnbaum mentions it being closed for most of 2009.... and thats the 'official' guide that disney endorses.. so, I would take that as about as much confirmation as we'll get until it closes..

jt04

yeah.. that always stinks when a biggie is out during your visit... Splash is pretty-much always down during that particular time frame.. annually..

Meanwhile, I would expect that the space mountain rehab will indeed take place this year.... even the new Birnbaum mentions it being closed for most of 2009.... and thats the 'official' guide that disney endorses.. so, I would take that as about as much confirmation as we'll get until it closes..

My guess is they are not exactly proud of the plan or they would have at least leaked a bit of info on the scope of the project.

In the mean time, Uni is moving full steam on Potterland. Hmmmm. :brick:

the-reason14

Well thats good to hear that SM will be open in Jan. Just incase I cant get down there for December, now I know I can go anytime before April and ride SM. Because if SM is close, WDW is too, well for me atleast as I wont be going. And no, if they do close it and refurb it, hopefully it isnt any gutting, just simple track replacement and new effects etc. if they want to make a better/thrilling coaster, build it someplace else in the MK or WDW, and leave SM alone.

olmec26

I don't think WDW management ever seriously considered refurbing space mountain. It was just wishful thinking because all the other space mountains got refurbed. I kinda hope one night after closing the whole track just collapses because its so old and then the'll feel stupid for not refurbing it properly.

It was not wishful thinking in the slightest...the MK art director told me firsthand that they were going to do "something major" to Space Mountain next year.

Susan Savia

WHAT!!!?? No Splash Mountain in January??? :brick:We were there in February 2008 and it was shut then, too. Bad timing on our part, I guess....

Next Trip - January 2009

It's like coming home again......

hack2112

I did the left track of SM last weekend and it was the smoothest ride I've had in years. However the right side wasn't so smooth. When you get a nice and smooth ride, you really appreciate how good the coaster actually is.

Space Mountain

I did the left track of SM last weekend and it was the smoothest ride I've had in years. However the right side wasn't so smooth. When you get a nice and smooth ride, you really appreciate how good the coaster actually is.

Depends on where you sit and what car you are in...but yes, SM is just fine the way it is when you don't bump around every 3 seconds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom