Maelstrom & Dinosaur: Reduced Effects & Calmer Ride?

Rob562

But it is still the same, just like it is the same layout as Indy here in DL but no one buys that either.

I'm surprised that there are people that still don't believe it's the same layout as Indy. While riding CTX I can match scene-for-scene in my head each corresponding scene in Indy, up until the part where on Indy the Jeep goes behind the big Mara statue, through that room with all the skulls and dives down under the bridge. After that I couldn't quite remember how it went through the rat/log projection and dart room. Plus a lot of those corresponding rooms on CTX are dark. But then the finale is easily noticable as the same.

-Rob

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The green box was working last time I was on it in Dec..
Wha..... the lasers were working? I understood they were deactivated ages ago! Fantastic! I did think last October apart from the 5 laser effects the rest of the attraction looked great. Lots of lighting. Lots of visual effects. Lots of smoke (the vortex ports were really foggy!)

For those who wonder, here is the entry portal laser effect:

Attachments

• CTX entrance portal laser.jpg
    CTX entrance portal laser.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 87

Rob562

I don't remember ever seeing them work...

The lasers were cool when they worked. (As were most other effects on the attraction that haven't worked in a while) It was this green box seemingly floating in mid-air. (And it also kinda helped the story with the one at the iguanodon at the end...)

At least the smoke is back in the time tunnels...

-Rob

Jerm

Wha..... the lasers were working? I understood they were deactivated ages ago! Fantastic! I did think last October apart from the 5 laser effects the rest of the attraction looked great. Lots of lighting. Lots of visual effects. Lots of smoke (the vortex ports were really foggy!)

For those who wonder, here is the entry portal laser effect:

OK maybe my memory is going in my old age. If Martin says they are gone then I would put more money on him then on my memory. I have been on that attraction so many times it all kinda blurs together and I am double checking if in fact they were. But for the life of me I remember them working that time?!?!?:veryconfu

Martin do you have the side by side layout for Indy vs. CTX, I know years ago it was posted on here but for the life of me can't find them anyplace.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Will he do Pirates? If yes, then he can handle Maelstrom. The drop is about the same. Actually, if he can handle BTMR he can handle Maelstrom.

Whether he will be able to handle the volume of the post-ride Norway film is another matter...

yep...my DS4 couldn't handle that last year.

Syntho_Magnetic

Original Poster
Maelstrom have always had these simple effects. The spinning light, as long as I can remember, has always been multi colored. I used the same lighting fixture for a few stage productions myself. The sea was never really rough. Just sounds, projected lighting and an occasional splash from below the oil rig is all that's been there. More was planned but never materialized

If you peruse the thread I posted, the lightning is projected now, but they did have a generator for actual sparks before. I think Martin even has some before and after pics.

But I was 9 back in 1988 so I'll certainly believe the building it up, but boy, it sure does seems like they had a more convincing version of this fun-house trick. My parents seemed to remember it different too, but I might have messed up their memory. Everybody else agree it was just the rainbow with lots of light leaks?

I am sorry but two things:
Maelstrom used to come much further out of the cave. much further.
I think I've heard this before too, but haven't looked into it much. Back in 1988 that going over the waterfall backwards was quite thrilling. Seems like it to me too, but I'm not sure.

I'm surprised that there are people that still don't believe it's the same layout as Indy. While riding CTX I can match scene-for-scene in my head
Yea, comparing the youtube movies sounds fun, I'll have to try this. Sounds reasonable, would save a lot of development time and money.

yep...my DS4 couldn't handle that last year.
Good grief, yes. I've gotten out of the habit of taking earplugs to the movies (and paying for it a little already), but you sure need them in that theatre.
"For the hearing impaired, we have amplified the volume 100 dB." :dazzle::):brick:

Dinosaur's time tunnel has changed over the past few years. There used to be a green laser making a square (or frame) that you "broke through" to enter the dino period.

Wha..... the lasers were working?

That green laser thing must be the kicker, I could see that being the missing piece. Thanks for the photo Martin! They must have shut the laser off, which would be instant unlike the lazy power-down of the incandescents. When you can turn around in the jungle and still see the time tunnel, it just doesn't have the same drama.

Of course, I still like both rides, especially Dinosaur. Even if they can't keep things like the real lightning, green laser, or the crashing test car in TT working, or even the entire Flying Saucers, at least what's left is usually better than most anything and maybe in a few decades they'll have those tech down pat (like the coming rebirth of the Saucers).

Thanks all for the replies.

Fun2BFree

Maelstrom is very tame. You want a real Viking-themed flume ride? Try Valhalla at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Water cannons out the wazoo, blinding flashes and fast-paced movement... but the temperature is often near 40 degrees Fahrenheit, so you get off with pneumonia. :lol:

Import it to WDW, clean it up a bit, and you have a new E-Ticket.

MythBuster

As far as Dinosaur (CTX) goes:

Nothing has changed with the ride vehicles as far as programming goes. The ride profile and motion base are still the same since opening in since in 1998.

Other things on the Ride Vehicles have changed: seat belt systems, under seat strobes, on board audio, etc.

The green(Argon) laser has not worked in a long time, as it needs a new laser tube and they are very expensive. The red(Krypton) laser was configured to be the time portal but it is harder to see without a lot of particular matter to reflect off of, hence the smoke in the time tunnel. But it is turned off for now.

The ride layout ie, the track, is exactly the same between Indy and Dinosaur. The show scenes are different, different walls, open areas so it could be hard to try to figure out.

CleveRocks

It is human nature to experience things as less intense as we experience those things more and more. There are a lot of ways to label this.

You can say we HABITUATE to things ... that things become like a habit and thus not as new and exciting.

You can say that we become DESENSITIZED to things ... the opposite of overly sensitive ... psychologists use a process called SYSTEMATIC DESENSITIZATION to help people overcome very strong fears by giving the people increasing amounts of exposure to the source of the fear. AFter a while, it's no big deal anymore.

Psychologists also describe something called PRACTICE EFFECTS. The more you experience something, the "better" you do at it ... it's just not a big deal after a while. This is, in part, why performers rehearse and athletes practice, and it is why kids preparing for tests like the SAT are advised to take as many practice tests as they can, so that the act of taking the test becomes not so much a big deal anymore.

So what I'm trying to say is ... the more we ride a ride, the less intense it seems. It's just human nature. But it is a very real-feeling phenomenon. e never consider that it's possible WE could have changed somehow, so we point to the "thing" and conclude that IT must have changed somehow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom