Cruise or WDW Parks? Its a draw!

tractorm3

Hey guys im a long time fan of the WDW parks in Orlando! i love being there and simply find every thing amazing about them right from the time i leave Boston. My girlfriend and i want to take a trip in the near future that has something to do with disney. For the two of us to spend a week in the parks at a nice Disney hotel and with the best guess for food and spending money it comes to about 1800 a person for the week.
i found on fo the Disney cruises for about the same but i have no idea which way to go. I have never been on a cruise but also like the theme parks so much. Any one that has been to both and wanna give me some insight?

Are the crusies really all inclusive meaning all the food and soda you wish? Also how des the rotational dining work out for the guest? and sure there is a ton of thing to do on the ship and on the islands but are the lines to use the amnities on the ship long?

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
This is one of those few instances where you can have your cake and eat it too! There are two cruise packages called "Land and Sea" where you get a combination of a three or four day cruise and four or three days at WDW.

Our kids really wanted to do a cruise, and my DW just saw no reason to voluntarily leave perfectly good land, so we took this approach, thinking that she could at least tolerate it for a few days. Well, she was the first one looking up 7 day cruises when we got home.

There is a lot to plan and organize, and homework for your first time pays off.
Yes, the cost includes all food, soft drinks and entertainment on the ship. Alcohol of course is extra. The one adults only restaurant "Palo" is a $10 per person charge.

There are separate charges for activities at your various ports of call if you want, but there is more than enough to do without that, especially on your first trip. The various Spa treatments are an extra charge, but the nice gym facility is free.

When you board, you will be given your itinerary that includes your restaurant rotation. If you are going to substitute Palo for one night, this is the time to do it. You also need to schedule Spa time early. Once you do that, you can then sit back and enjoy yourself. It will take a little time to familiarize yourself with the ship, but by the end, you will feel very comfortable. The day trip to Disney's private island, Castaway Cay is almost worth the price of the cruise in itself...a great day!

You will be very well off to buy a cruise planning book for help with all the subtle in's and outs.

If you need any additional information, feel free to PM me.

Upvote 0

lscott933

hi
yes all the soda is include in your package on the cruise. they have a soda machine on the top deck. there is plenty to do on the ship. we are going on a three day crusie then to disney afterward. but if you want to go on the cruise first then to disney you can't book in together. the land part is before your cruise.
if you want to go on the land and then the cruise they have add a dining plan to your cruise if you want that too. the hotel are the mod and up. it depends on your room choice on the ship. the ship is a nice way to relax a few days instead of going a 100 miles a day like at the parks.
the ship has plenty to do for adults too. there is a place on the ship just for adult where kids are not allowed.
the dining in different places is nice. you dont have the same place to eat every night. the staff is the same for all three place to eat. it is nice cause they know what you like to drink and they know your name. a little more personnel touch.

Upvote 0

AstareGod

Yes, the cost includes all food, soft drinks and entertainment on the ship. Alcohol of course is extra. The one adults only restaurant "Palo" is a $10 per person charge.

Don't forget the free ice cream too!

My family and I have been on a few cruises, but the last one we've been on was on the Disney Magic, the only time we cruised with Disney, and all of us absolutely loved it. Now keep in mind you will be on a moving ship, so you'll have to get used to the movement and such. None of us had a problem with motion, but some people do get motion sickness, and there are medicines and treatments that will take care of that, but it's just something to look out for.

The main advantage of a cruise over the parks (and I should know because I've been to the parks more times than I can count) is that all of the food is included; dinner is exquisite. Many times you will see things on the menu you didn't even know existed. The waiters and waitresses are wonderful and take care of your every need. The ship is not as crowded as the parks (at least at peak times) and just like the parks, you can catch a night show every night if you want! I'll let you find those out for yourself, but they are much better than the night shows on the other cruise lines, especially for Disney buffs like us!

Disney has a free vacation planning DVD for the cruise, which I've seen personally, so if you haven't checked it out, you might want to. Also the Travel Channel had a few specials about Disney Cruise Lines, so those should answer more of your questions. If you have any others, just ask!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just wanted to point out that in all probability your cruise will cost a bit more than the ticket price. The ticket price does not include parking at the docks, alcohol, souvenirs, and more importantly excursions when in port. You can of course forgo pretty much all of those extras but all of that stuff is a big part of the fun, especially the excursions. It has been 5 or 6 years but I still remember my hiking and kayaking trip in Freeport and my tour of Atlantis in Nassau like it was yesterday.

Upvote 0

tractorm3

Original Poster
Thank you all for your imput, i relize it may b a bit more but the free food is worth it to me since im a big guy and eat my share.

I Think i am going to pursue that 7 night deal that one of you metioned about having a couple days in the park and then out for a cruise. I just sent out for the dvd and ill see what that has to say about it!

Upvote 0

nibblesandbits

I am considering this too as my next trip to the world. The land/sea just seems like a nice way to get that relaxing vacation (for the sea portion) and the love I have for theme parks.

Now of course, I've gotta get the money to actually do it. :lol:

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
I'm madly in love with Disney World, but the cruises are even better. I can't wait to take another one.

There's nothing like eating anything you want whenever you want without having to pay, and having your bed turned down for you each night after you return from an exquisite dinner, and finishing off every day with a show so magical it will give you chills. You feel completely spoiled rotten from the moment you step on board till the moment you step off.

For anyone considering a "land and sea" I'd recommend booking the 2 portions separately. That way you can do longer than 3-4 days in the parks and choose what resort you want to stay at and also use the dining plan if you want.

Upvote 0

nibblesandbits

I'm madly in love with Disney World, but the cruises are even better. I can't wait to take another one.

There's nothing like eating anything you want whenever you want without having to pay, and having your bed turned down for you each night after you return from an exquisite dinner, and finishing off every day with a show so magical it will give you chills. You feel completely spoiled rotten from the moment you step on board till the moment you step off.

For anyone considering a "land and sea" I'd recommend booking the 2 portions separately. That way you can do longer than 3-4 days in the parks and choose what resort you want to stay at and also use the dining plan if you want.
Thanks Laura...you just answered a couple of the questions I had. I wondered if since the food was included on the cruise, if you did the land portion if the dining plan was included then too. Guess not. :lol:

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

I can not say enough wonderful things about the cruise. Laura's second paragraph summed up a lot of my feelings.

The land and sea option is great (I'd definitely book them seperately too) for your first time. But trust me, you'll decide that next time 3 or 4 days is just not enough on a Disney Cruise!!

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I've thought about the Disney cruises for a while. The kids want to do one. I've never been on a cruise and I do have some reservations about trying it. I'm constantly fighting the urge to overeat or eat the wrong things. My battle with my weight is neverending. How much variety of health-conscious food is there? I'm so afraid I'll be sitting on the boat just eating. I realize there's shows and stuff for the kids to do. I'm not one to lay out by a pool or do much in the way of swimming. I just don't enjoy these things anymore. I rarely ever go to the beach because, well, there's a lot of dirt there and salt water just makes you sticky and need to wash your hair as soon as possible. ((washing my hair is a substantial commitment because I have to wash, condition, apply styling products, blow dry, then flat iron)) So aside from pools, sun, beaches, the kids off doing their activities is there still plenty of stuff to do? Or did I just answer my own question, that a cruise really isn't the thing for me?

I'm glad someone brought up this topic. A few of my questions have been answered already. :animwink:

Upvote 0

Mystic

Thank you all for your imput, i relize it may b a bit more but the free food is worth it to me since im a big guy and eat my share.

I Think i am going to pursue that 7 night deal that one of you metioned about having a couple days in the park and then out for a cruise. I just sent out for the dvd and ill see what that has to say about it!

My mom and I actually just booked our trip for 2009 and it's a 4 night Land/3 night Sea Cruise package. We have 4 nights at the Beach Club and 3 nights on the Disney Wonder in a Navigator's Verandah stateroom. Neither of us have been on a cruise before and the CM at the Cruise Line agreed that this would be a good way for us to try out cruising for the first time and still get our time in the parks.

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

I've thought about the Disney cruises for a while. The kids want to do one. I've never been on a cruise and I do have some reservations about trying it. I'm constantly fighting the urge to overeat or eat the wrong things. My battle with my weight is neverending. How much variety of health-conscious food is there? I'm so afraid I'll be sitting on the boat just eating. I realize there's shows and stuff for the kids to do. I'm not one to lay out by a pool or do much in the way of swimming. I just don't enjoy these things anymore. I rarely ever go to the beach because, well, there's a lot of dirt there and salt water just makes you sticky and need to wash your hair as soon as possible. ((washing my hair is a substantial commitment because I have to wash, condition, apply styling products, blow dry, then flat iron)) So aside from pools, sun, beaches, the kids off doing their activities is there still plenty of stuff to do? Or did I just answer my own question, that a cruise really isn't the thing for me?

I'm glad someone brought up this topic. A few of my questions have been answered already. :animwink:

Hi Sweetpee. As for the first part of your post - food is everywhere. So that ones a hard one. There are very healthy options at every meal - you just have to make yourself pick one.

The second question is easier. We had a huge group (16 people) on our cruise, all different ages. My in laws had no interest in the beach or laying out, and they were the first ones in line to book another cruise. There are SO many things to do that you truly will not be able to do them all. We sat down every night and chose what to do the next day out of the huge list of activities. You will absolutely not be bored.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Hi Sweetpee. As for the first part of your post - food is everywhere. So that ones a hard one. There are very healthy options at every meal - you just have to make yourself pick one.

The second question is easier. We had a huge group (16 people) on our cruise, all different ages. My in laws had no interest in the beach or laying out, and they were the first ones in line to book another cruise. There are SO many things to do that you truly will not be able to do them all. We sat down every night and chose what to do the next day out of the huge list of activities. You will absolutely not be bored.

Thank you! I'm glad to hear it. When you see the commercials and advertisements they generally play up the beach and chillin' by the pool with a cute drink w/an umbrella in it. There's not a lot of indication as to just how many things there might be to keep you busy. Thanks so much for the info.

As for the food, well, maybe since we keep the same wait staff I can teach mine to bring my food in 1/2 portions on the smaller plates. LOL!

Upvote 0

MrBug

For anyone considering the Land/Sea option, keep in mind that the price includes park tix, with hopping, for the duration of your land portion. The 4 Land/3 Sea includes 5-day tickets.

Upvote 0

AstareGod

I'd check the actual ships just to make 100% sure, but I know both ships (and almost all cruise lines for that matter) have a free gym, basketball court, tennis court, ping pong tables, an outdoor running track, etc etc etc so there is definitely opportunity to exercise. Plus, you will be walking from your room to the dining room to the theater, and when going on land, you will be walking around there too, so you will be doing a lot of exercising anyway.

Disney as well as the other cruise lines are good about choosing the right food too. I'd say the food in the actual dining rooms (not the take-out stuff you can get by the pool, but the actual in-dining-room menu) is the healthiest food I've had throughout my entire life, and they do indicate "healthier" or "spa-choice" items for those looking to manage weight.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom