My Dolphin win trip. Thanks WDWMagic!!

Here I am again, writing another trip report. Didn’t I just do this?

I am at the end of yet another wonderful time at Walt Disney World. This trip was rather unexpected and I owe it all to Harvey Plum...

252392518_PzTYB-S.jpg

...ok, and Steve too. :p

And by the way, there will be no loafing or loitering allowed in Laura's trip report. :fork:

252392524_ZghXw-S.jpg

While at Epcot on Thanksgiving 2007 I received a phone call from Rain letting me know that I had won the WDWMagic 4 night Swan & Dolphin resort stay, a result of answering 9 difficult trivia questions, and 1 impossible :lookaroun trivia question.

I intended to use the prize with my husband, but due to all of his pre-deployment restrictions (he goes to Afghanistan in a couple weeks) bringing him wasn’t possible and the certificate would expire by the time he returned. So instead I brought my father, and my mother stayed at my house with my kids and Andy hung out with her after work each night. It worked out great.

MONDAY

My dad and I flew out bright and early Monday morning (Feb 4th) and headed to our first destination: Coronado Springs. Neither of us had been there before. I instantly fell in love with the resort. It’s absolutely gorgeous and one of my new favorites now. The only downside is the incredible amount of walking you have to do to get around the place. Luckily our building (Casitas 2) was fairly near the lobby, though a long way from the main pool. The best part is the lack of children at this resort. It's crawling with peace and quiet!

Our first park was the Magic Kingdom. We had left my house at 5:15 a.m. and were standing on Main Street USA by 2:15 p.m. By 6:30 p.m. we had done every single ride and attraction we wanted to except Pirates, Thunder Mountain, and Hall of Presidents. It is incredible how fast you can fly through a park without children or people who walk slow or go to the bathroom every 5 minutes. By the way, why on earth is the Space Mountain queue so crappy now? It was so much better back in the day when you’d actually wait for the ride up in the part with the coaster and it played all those funny space commercials on the TV’s. I hate the way they have had it set up for the past few years.

Normally I include the list of all the grumpy pictures of my kids from each trip outside of Crystal Palace, but since my kids weren't with me my dad had to take over...

252392097_tasm8-M.jpg

It goes with these:
July 2004
February 2005
September 2005
December 2005
February 2006
May 2006
June 2007
November 2007

Next we watched SpectroMagic and then went to my “X” spot on Main Street for Wishes. (There is a secret little spot on Main Street where the trolley tracks split apart in the back of the Roy and Minnie statue that forms an X on the ground. For some reason no one ever stands in this spot until about a minute before Wishes starts, and it’s dead center on Main Street with a perfect view, so it’s where I always go.)

Here's the view from the X:
252392167_HjY4R-M.jpg

While standing on my X, one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen happened. It was a fairly gusty evening and there was a CM with a ginormous bouquet of Mickey balloons hanging out a bit in front of the X. Well anytime a wind gust would come all of the Mickey balloons would start blowing all over the place, smacking about 10-15 guests in the face as they walked by. Many of the guests would be stuck in a sea of bobbing Mickey heads for a good 5-10 seconds trying desperately to escape. I couldn’t even contain myself laughing at everyone. Of course I was safe on my X. At one point I decided to film what was going on and just as I got the camera out the Mickey balloons began attacking the lady in front of me. I only got a 6 second clip of the action because I was laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe and tears were running down my face, but even after I stopped filming the sea of balloons swept down the street plowing down everyone in the way. I really had a difficult time watching Wishes after that as I was doubled over in laughter.

Mickey balloon video

After we got back to the resort we decided to check out the dig site (the main pool). We swam for a few minutes and the pool was really nice, but all of the water features had shut off just before we got there so it was a bit boring. Next we had a late snack at the Coronado food court, which was very confusing at first. It’s kind of like a sit down restaurant, but also kind of like a fast food restaurant, but also kind of like a cafeteria. It took us about 15 minutes to figure out how the heck you eat in there! :lol:

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Great report Laura. Wonderful pictures as usual...and now video's too!

I'm thinking about sending this thread to my son at school to be used to replace the other tired drining games. We can call it "Drink when Laura says laughing."

Then again, it sounds like a perfect visit...not to mention some nice father/daughter time.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I'm glad you had a great time Laura. :sohappy:

I can't wait to hear the naked story. :lookaroun

Your trip report has inspired me to try out Coronado Springs next time I go down. I keep hearing good things about it even though I have always been very skeptical of it. :)

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
I love the pictures, they're awesome. I've been trying for a couple days to play the videos, but for some reason they don't play for me, so I have given up on that, sadly. I really like the report though. I had no idea you had won this trip, how exciting is that! Congrats!

:wave:

Oh, and :sohappy: for heavenly beds! That's always such a great bonus to any trip!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Helloooooooooooooo!!?? Am I the only one who cought this sentance? Laura, do we want a little more explaination here or should we just leave this one alone?
I don't believe she was naked at the time. :shrug:

I'll let Monty defend that one.

He owes me. :fork:
Only because you're

250px-Black-headed_Gull_-_St_James%27s_Park%2C_London_-_Nov_2006.jpg

-a-

250px-Hereford_bull_large.jpg

Y'all have really overhyped this naked friend thing. Monty will be pleased. :lol:
:lookaroun

Would you expect any less? :shrug:
:D

I had so much fun with you as always! YAY for heavenly beds! :)
As did I!

I should point out that neither Rain nor Laura were naked at any time during our various meetings. :animwink:

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
Nice report..though I am a little disappointed... I was looking forward to seeing the pics of you and Monty...:( There is no real proof of your meeting...:lookaroun
:D

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If you post that hammock pic you're definitely gonna get a beating. I told you to delete it!
Actually, no... I told you that I promised no more "surprise" pics... There was no discussion of deletion... :drevil:

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
Glad you liked them, because I didn't! :lol: Well the ones from the beginning were taken on a tiny little $400 Fuji FinePix because I didn't feel like lugging my equipment through the parks. Those aren't so great.

The ones at the end of the resorts I used my old, barely-works-anymore Canon digital rebel with a super cheap wide angle lens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom