Follow Up-Kids Thrown Out of Disneyworld

bfbulldog

Original Poster
Mouseplanet reports:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=wd071217mg

Pop Warner fight redux

We've got a lot more information about the Pop Warner fight at the All-Star Music Resort than we had last week. In the incident, the Westport Patriots of Baltimore got into a fight with the Kahalu'u Hei'eia Broncos of Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii and the Waianae Tigers of Waianae, Oahu, Hawaii.

A Disney cast member familiar with the situation informed MousePlanet that the All-Star Music front desk received a call at around 11:45 p.m. Friday night that there was an altercation at the arcade, and that there were 90-100 teenagers involved in a serious fight. There were reports of adults hitting kids. Three security guards and a security manager responded and broke up the fight after midnight. The Osceola County Sheriff's Office was called and deputies interviewed participants to try to determine how the incident started. Due to conflicting stories, no charges were lodged. All of those involved were sent back to their rooms.

The members of the three teams involved were all disobeying the Pop Warner "quiet hours" curfew that began at 10 p.m., as noted in a Disney information packet sent to all participating teams.

Around 1 a.m. Saturday morning, the fight started again in buildings 3 and 6, with approximately 100-110 people involved. The front desk was called by families not involved with Pop Warner, claiming that it was close to riot conditions and that they wanted to check out immediately to get away from the situation. Sheriff's deputies, along with Disney security staff, stopped the fight again. One boy from the Kahalu'u team had his nose broken and went to the hospital. There were no other reported serious injuries.

Pop Warner football commissioner Sam Mutz and others from the organization were called to the scene. After evaluating the situation, Disney and Pop Warner made a joint decision at around 2:20 a.m. to evict the teams from the resort, rather than ban them from Disney property entirely. With about 140 people in total evicted and 100-110 involved in the fracas, there were perhaps only 30-40 people who had to be woken up when the decision to evict them was made.

The Pop Warner representatives called around to find alternate lodging for the teams, and found space at the Legacy Grand and Holiday Inn. Disney paid for the teams to be transported to their new lodging. They had a fleet of cabs lined up, and the last cab left just before 5 a.m.

The situation was apparently anticipated by the Pop Warner organization, as a packet sent out months ago to participants in the tournament included a memo from Pop Warner Executive Directory Jon C. Butler to all Pop Warner Association, League and Regional officers that warned:
As Pop Warner's events grow and attract more media attention, each of us has a duty to make sure that ALL of the people at those events represent Pop Warner appropriately.
We've had serious behavior problems at past Pop Warner Super Bowls at WALT DISNEY WORLD. This note gives you and your participants, young & old, players & coaches, parents & fans fair warning that such problems have not been tolerated in the past, and certainly will not be tolerated this year. Teams have been disqualified, and, in one case, sent home early at their increased expense.
Every Pop Warner Association is accountable for its players, cheerleaders, coaches, administrators, parents and others from your area at all Regional and National events. Any incidents of unacceptable behavior from any person(s) affiliated in any way with your Association will mean:
  • A possible immediate ejection from the Pop Warner Super Bowl events and WALT DISNEY WORLD® property. The persons involved risk forfeiting hotel and other deposits. Revised Air reservations/ ticket payments will be your problem, not ours nor Disney's.
  • Possible lifetime ban from Disney World.
  • An AUTOMATIC PROHIBITION from all Regional and National events for all teams/squads from that Association for one full season.
  • Possible suspension and/or probation from coaching or administering within Pop Warner.
Each Association is responsible for those who represent it. So is each League. So is each Region. If repeated problems occur within a particular Association, League or Region, additional measures will be taken.
Pop Warner is a family. Let's all act like it. If our Pop Warner family behaves well, then everyone—whether part of Pop Warner or not—will respect us.
This was echoed in a statement from Walt Disney World spokesman Jacob DiPietre, who said, "This incident was unfortunate but with thousands of Guests at the Resort we have to maintain a safe environment for everyone. We have a no-fighting policy that is shared with Pop Warner. Anyone fighting is subject to disqualification from the competition and eviction from the resort. We were in contact with both law enforcement and Pop Warner throughout the event."

With both sides telling conflicting stories, it's unlikely that the true cause of the fight will come to light. It appears that the altercation started between the Westport and Kahalu'u teams, with the Waianae team coming to the aid of its Hawaiian compatriots. The Westport team had won the Midget Division II Warner Conference title earlier on Friday. The Kahalu'u squad took the Midget Division II Tomlin Conference consolation title on Friday, and the Waianae team was finished on Wednesday, having lost both of its games in the Midget Division I playoffs. The Midget teams were composed of youths approximately 12-15 years of age.

One of the Westport coaches told the Baltimore Sun that he was upset that the fight overshadowed the team's win. "It's unfortunate that it had to happen like this," he said. "It's getting me down. We work hard to keep these kids out of trouble and now this one moment is going to dominate the entire season."

Despite the organization's Web site noting that "Pop Warner is committed to developing America's young people on the field and off," it seems that some coaches still believe off-field behavior takes a back seat to on-field results.

I think this confirms the overwhelming majority of the people in the poll who supported Disney's actions.

Chape19714

Good to know the full story, thanks for posting it. I was under the impression that it involved only a few people. Leave it to the media to "twist" things however tehy see fit.

tigsmom

Its always interesting when the entire story hits the news. There are three sides to a story...yours, mine and the truth. :lol:

Shere_Khan

Thank you for posting the full story. It seems that almost everyone who was evicted from Disney property was in fact involved in the fight. I thought Disney did the right thing when I first read the story that had little facts. Now I know for certain that they did the right thing. Especially since after the first fight was already broken up they decided to go and fight again. The chaperones of these children should be ashamed of themselves.

mickey&me

As I expected--not isolated, not even the first time that night. They should consider themselves extremely lucky not to have been banned for life!

mary219

No disrespect intended but I thought I couldn't have cared less the first time I heard about this but your follow-up proves I was wrong! :snore:
if you could care less the first time,why bother opening the post for a followup?i mean,no disrespect or anything like that....

Captain Sparrow

I, too, am surprised they weren't banned for life. That sounds like it would have been a much more appropriate course of action given the circumstances. It also would've ensured that we never have to encounter this trash at the parks at any time in the future.

KeeKee

Didn't we all know in the beginning that Disney wouldn't have made a decision like that based on a whim; they had a good reason and ample evidence. My only criticism is that they didn't take it a step further and ban them for life. Two warnings and police called, adults involved; how bad does it need to get before a life-time ban is instated?

Bravo WDW!

I only hope that the participants in the fight don't waste any money hiring lawyers to bring a suit against Disney.

echoscot

Didn't we all know in the beginning that Disney wouldn't have made a decision like that based on a whim; they had a good reason and ample evidence. My only criticism is that they didn't take it a step further and ban them for life. Two warnings and police called, adults involved; how bad does it need to get before a life-time ban is instated?

Bravo WDW!

I only hope that the participants in the fight don't waste any money hiring lawyers to bring a suit against Disney.

I don't think they have enough money to waste on a lawyer....And it would be their money lost anyway.

If what was reported here is accurate, they don't have a case at all.

KeeKee

That was the point exactly. If any of those folks monitor these forums -

Don't waste your money on a lawyer! You don't have a case and it will bring further shame and embarrassment on your heads!

Eyorefan

Wow, thanks for posting the update.

I really feel sorry for all those families that were just trying to enjoy their Disney vacation and instead found themselves in the middle of a riot at 1 am.

Bravo to Disney for taking care of the situation.

kjd469

Wow, I was surprised to read this post. My daughter and I checked in to All Star Music on the night in question. I am a fairly light sleeper, but did not hear one bit of the chaos you wrote about - thank goodness. It sounds like the Resort did a good job of containing and then dealing with the problem. We were actually really pleased with the quietness of the resort, knowing that the Pop Warner groups were staying there.

sparky03

They should have been banned for life. I couldn't have imagined taking part in something like this when I was these kids' age because any time I was on Disney property I treated it like a special privilege. Disney even paid for their transportation to a new hotel for pete's sake. Can you imagine how much that must have cost?

Not only that but having dealing with complaints from other guests who were just there hoping for a nice vacation and weren't even part of the whole Pop Warner thing was probably a huge headache.

KeeKee

They should have been banned for life. I couldn't have imagined taking part in something like this when I was these kids' age because any time I was on Disney property I treated it like a special privilege. Disney even paid for their transportation to a new hotel for pete's sake. Can you imagine how much that must have cost?

Not only that but having dealing with complaints from other guests who were just there hoping for a nice vacation and weren't even part of the whole Pop Warner thing was probably a huge headache.

I wonder if WDW had to comp rooms for any of the guests that complained of the noise and wanted to check out?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom