Disney Crafting...

Kristi Kay

[/quote]No Art Major here, but The Daughter graduated as an Art History major. She's now working for a nationally known artist in DC, and having the time of her life...I'm just not sure she knows it. ;)

I know that there are other forum members who have done Disney cross stitch, etc. I've done lots, by no Disney yet. I love the knitting, and will send it along to my daughter.[/quote]

Thats so cool....I hope to go back and get an art history degree as well and work at some fancy smancy gallery....

Figment82

About the same time I made the mickey scarf, I started a figment scarf which is still being worked out (aka I haven't had time to finish it)... the figment scarf was a normal scarf pattern (figment purple of course) and for the two ends I crocheted orange figment horns... it will be cute once it's done, but school is too busy right now...

Oh I'd love to see that one! I'm an art major too (graphic design) but crocheting/knitting is beyond me. I'm a lost cause - my mom gave up on teaching me. :)

My mom and I are big on crafts. My mom quilts, so she made a huge wall quilt based on the logos for the four parks (I drew the pattern, she quilted it). She also has made me a Figment flag, a Nemo quillow, Cars pj pants, and much more.

I do stained glass as a side hobby, and made a Figment piece that IMO came out quite nicely (I'll post a photo of it in a bit). I've also made a mosaic Mickey stepping stone and just recently worked a photo of Spaceship Earth into a Typography assignment. :)

sillyspook13

After a little thinking here's the pattern I came up with... It may not be perfect or exact, but it's a start... I'm glad ppl enjoyed this pattern...

Size H crochet hook, but can be changed according to desired size

With black yarn...

Ch 5 and Sl st to first ch to form loop.

Row 1: Ch 3 (will represent 1st dc now and throughout pattern), 17 dcs in the ring, Sl st in 3rd ch to join (18 dcs)

Row 2: Ch 3 and dc in same chain, 2 dc in each stitch around circle, Sl st in the 3rd ch to join (36 dcs)

(Next row gets a little weird; I'm not exactly sure how to describe it)

Row 3: Sl st in next 7 dc, 1st mickey ear[Ch 5 and Sl st in first chain to form loop, Ch 3 and sc in the dc containing the 5 Sl st from the row 3 (kind of working backwards; be careful here to keep maintain the front of the project), 17 dc in newly formed loop, Sl st 2nd dc after the loop to join ear to head], 24 Sl st (use best judgment for correct ear placement), 2nd Mickey ear [same as 1st ear], finish off.

With red yarn...
Row 4: sc in each dc around mickey head (sc in dc of row 2 not in Sl sts of Row 3), finish off (again for this row use best judgment for sc placement)

Joining....
I made 13 lucky mickey heads, but number depends on desired length of scarf. Simply whip st to join ears of one head to the bottom of adjacent head.

Since these heads are so quick to make, I've been thinking of a mickey head afghan, but I haven't had the time... if anyone uses this pattern I would be interested to see what you did!

Questions or comments? Email: sprocketfish@neomail.com
Wow, thanks! I'm an avid hooker (boys, get your minds out of the gutter) and I think that pattern is super!

I haven't done much in the way of Disney crafts, but I have many Disney-related sketches, plus a really nice full-color drawing of the Sage of Time that I've been meaning to scan.:)

Figment82

I apologize for the poor photo quality...

Figment1.jpg

abug'saunt

sprocketfish - I absolutely adore your Mickey scarf. I know 3 little girls who are going to get one for Christmas. :p And Thank You for sharing your pattern. I love to crochet. Haven't done it in awhile as I cycle thru different activities. Right now is being on my laptop, checking out my favorite web sites, and playing computer games. I am starting to get an itch to sew again though. Last summer I made some easy-to-sew summer dresses for my nieces. I used Disney Princess prints for the dresses. I trimmed one in purple piping and the other in pink. I wish I had photos to show everyone. Until those dresses all I ever made was Barbie clothes. I also have some Disney latch hook pillow kits that I started but haven't finished yet. I have Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy. See, I told you I go in cycles. :hammer: I hope to finish them before the year is out. I guess that's it. I really love this thread and when I cycle to my next project, I will share with all if its okay with you all.

SewIn2Disney

Also, Sewn2disney- (I know I didn't get your name right....I couldn't remember it once I got to the thread reply...sorry) The mickey pillowcase, is that cross stiched?

No, actually it's printed flannel. (I don't know if this is allowed here--but if you're interested, it's for sale here - http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5639132) I have done some Mickey cross stitches though--I'll have to photograph them too!

After a little thinking here's the pattern I came up with... It may not be perfect or exact, but it's a start... I'm glad ppl enjoyed this pattern...

Size H crochet hook, but can be changed according to desired size

With black yarn...

Ch 5 and Sl st to first ch to form loop.

Row 1: Ch 3 (will represent 1st dc now and throughout pattern), 17 dcs in the ring, Sl st in 3rd ch to join (18 dcs)

Row 2: Ch 3 and dc in same chain, 2 dc in each stitch around circle, Sl st in the 3rd ch to join (36 dcs)

(Next row gets a little weird; I'm not exactly sure how to describe it)

Row 3: Sl st in next 7 dc, 1st mickey ear[Ch 5 and Sl st in first chain to form loop, Ch 3 and sc in the dc containing the 5 Sl st from the row 3 (kind of working backwards; be careful here to keep maintain the front of the project), 17 dc in newly formed loop, Sl st 2nd dc after the loop to join ear to head], 24 Sl st (use best judgment for correct ear placement), 2nd Mickey ear [same as 1st ear], finish off.

With red yarn...
Row 4: sc in each dc around mickey head (sc in dc of row 2 not in Sl sts of Row 3), finish off (again for this row use best judgment for sc placement)

Joining....
I made 13 lucky mickey heads, but number depends on desired length of scarf. Simply whip st to join ears of one head to the bottom of adjacent head.

Since these heads are so quick to make, I've been thinking of a mickey head afghan, but I haven't had the time... if anyone uses this pattern I would be interested to see what you did!

Questions or comments? Email: sprocketfish@neomail.com

Awesome Awesome Awesome!! I'm def. going to try this out after work today, I'll let you guys know how it comes out. When you said afghan, I pictured one of those yo-yo quilts where the circles are just tacked to each other. I bet if you turned every other mickey upside down, it would work! Ooh! And how about using your pattern with crochet cotten thread, and making a smaller mickey to turn into a pin to decorate your jacket/purse/etc?

OH-MY-GOSH! You guys stuff is AMAZING!

#1: At first I didn't reaize it was a scarf! AMAZING! If you ever happen to be messing with your choching again and figure out the pattern PLEASE post it! All of my old CP friends would be getting one for Christmas! I've never thought of a Mickey Scarf! I swear, if you could mass produce those- you could make tons of $

#2: I'm excited to see another Art Major on here! I went to art school at the University of Central Arkansas and the University of Arkansas and my professors were not crazy about Disney Art either! It drove me crazy, but it did push me out of my comfort zone of "disney art" into more "gallery quality" art (in their words)...lol!

#3: The cast of the castle is amazing! One of the greatest things I've ever seen! What are the demensions on it?

YAY FOR THIS THREAD!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

It's approximately 12x16. I'll have to get a finished pic of it for ya.

No my mickey head is dc... like I said I just made it up as I went... I'm counting the sts and such and making a pattern right now... I'm almost finished...

oops! I didn't mean sc, I meant it has one (a single) mickey on a hat....here it is:
http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=tag_title&search_query=mickey crochet

(it's the last few items on the page)

and I have to agree with everyone else!! This thread rocks!! Keep the pictures coming!

SewIn2Disney

Here's some more craftiness for the day:

This is a Winnie the Pooh tree skirt I made for my friend last christmas. It was a pre-printed fabric...I just backed it with velvet, added pom pom trim, and sewed on snowflake sequins and pom poms to accent it.

tree_skirrt.JPG

And, an ornament I made. Its three styrofoam balls glued together, and the sequins are put in one by one with sequin pins. It was supposed to look like a magenta (my favorite color) mickey wearing a pair of mouse ears (hence the silver circle) but no one gets it

ornament.JPG

BiggerTigger

This is a wreath I did about 5 years ago for christmas and people ask me every year to make them one. It was really simple, just took some patient time to do.

sprocketfish

Original Poster
Oh I'd love to see that one! I'm an art major too (graphic design) but crocheting/knitting is beyond me. I'm a lost cause \:)

I think I might try to finish the figment scarf this week (this thread has inspired me)....

I'm glad there are so many art people on here... you all can do some amazing things.... I don't think, as far as crafting, anyone is a lost cause- I'm a genetics graduate student (genetic epidemiology is my thing), so if a scientist can do this stuff then anyone can...

Tigggrl

What fabulous projects! I LOVE how talented everyone is, and how creative. I am a Cross Stitch needlemelter, but I do some other things as well. I have to find some of the more favorite pics and I will post them later....How inspiring!

psifreek27

WOW everybody... Im really impressed with all the amazing work!

Im actually an Artist (not studying it as a major in college, but did attend art school for a year...and to confirm what was said before My teachers hated my passion for disney art) and ive been meaning to make disney crafts but never get around to it. Must find some time and post some stuff on here for everyone to see. When i go back to college in the fall i should have some free time to post things.

It's amazing how many great things you guys are making! Those are the best kinds of souveniers/gifts the ones that nobody else has!

SewIn2Disney

Here is a quilt I made a few weeks ago!!

quilt001.jpg
I like this one a lot! I've been stashing Disney fabric for years (I work at a fabric store...), and I've been looking for that elusive "perfect" quilt pattern to do with all of it. This might be it! That way you can still showcase every single fabric, but yet not have all the different colors clash! Did you fussy-cut all the appliqued pieces, or leave them to chance? Are the edges turned under, or raw, and did you machine or hand blanket stitch them? Thanks!

SewIn2Disney

I like this one a lot! I've been stashing Disney fabric for years (I work at a fabric store...), and I've been looking for that elusive "perfect" quilt pattern to do with all of it. This might be it! That way you can still showcase every single fabric, but yet not have all the different colors clash! Did you fussy-cut all the appliqued pieces, or leave them to chance? Are the edges turned under, or raw, and did you machine or hand blanket stitch them? Thanks!
The wreath reminded me of this....I made three wreaths for our three Jeeps that color coordinated with the car. My wreath of course, was Mickey Shaped.

(For some reason I can't post the pic right now, but here's a link)

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2754848690077976460pJnhjh

flounder4378

Did you fussy-cut all the appliqued pieces, or leave them to chance? fussy cut!
Are the edges turned under, or raw, the edges are raw
and did you machine or hand blanket stitch them? Mickey heads were hand stitched, the rest is machine sewed

:)

slacker

I love this thread. I want to add some of my paintings!

This is a painting i made for my sister. it was my gift to her for her 7th or 8th birthday... i can't remember.
nemo.jpg

Here is a close up of part... i think the close ups make it look nicer.

nemocloseup.jpg

Here's a few of the paintings i made for myself. I love the pirates movies...

tiadalma.jpg

tia.jpg

painting.jpg

Okay, that's it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom