Raging Spirits coming to MK?

kcnole

First off, I don't see this as an E ticket ride, maybe a D ticket. I'm not excited about it at all, just another ride that I won't be able to ride with my wife and that families won't be able to enjoy together.

Walt's vision for the parks were for a place where kids and parents could have fun together, not where the parents and grandparents go sit on a bench while their kids go ride a flip you around ride. There's so many better options out there that we could do that I'm going to be severely disapointed if this is what the MK gets.

drduck

I have ridden the Disney Sea version. It really was a MAJOR dissapointment to both my wife and myself. It was boring, and seemed like just another six flags ride. No, it did not go backwards. I don't want a six flags ride in Adventureland. There really was nothing amazing about it. If they are going to put a new ride in, they need to have something amazing, something innovative, something . . . DISNEY. In my ever-so-humble opinion, this would be a huge waste of time, energy, and money . . . in other words, a big mistake.

kcnole

To me this really does seem like an even cheaper option than what most people accuse Universal of doing and that is taking an off the shelf system and dropping it in the park with a nicely themed queue.

While that is better than something like say Six Flags and their completely unthemed coasters, it just doesn't seem like Disney to me. If they could make it part dark ride, part coaster then it might be better, but just an open little coaster like this doesn't do anything for me.

imagineer99

I've heard nothing but bad things about both Raging Spirits and Temple of Peril.

Both are short, rough, and use outdated overhead restraints. I think we can do better than this, especially after the construction of Everest.

Montu

According to this article at Jim Hill Media.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2006/11/02/6464.aspx

I hope this isn't true. I haven't heard anyone say anything good about Raging Spirits or its Indiana Jones counterpart at DLP. I really think this would be a total flop. MK does need a new major attraction but I really hope it isn't that.

Thing is Jim Hill isn't even correct about HKDL getting Raging Spirits, so why trust him on MK getting it? (For that matter, why trust Jim Hill at all?)

HKDL *was* to get Raging Spirits as basically it's first phase 2 attraction, but that was canned quickly when they found that the locals found *Space Mountain* (clone of Disneyland's) to be considerably intense to the point that many people were passing out when the ride first opened. This quickly resulted in the decision of not adding a *more* intense looping coaster to the park. Instead Autopia was pushed forward for the quick add.

Marni, I'm really not sure how you could comment positively on Temple of Peril - it's easily the roughest ride in any Disney theme park, and beyond that, it's a considerably rough coaster by just *coaster* standards. I know I sure wouldn't personally be happy to see it come to Magic Kingdom (or any WDW Park for that matter) - especially given as Lee pointed out, if it comes, it will likely be considered "the new E-ticket" and kill any chance of a *real* E-ticket being built in the same park anytime soon.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Does the TDS version go backwards, or just the one at DLP?)
Both go forward. DLP went backwards for a few years when it got new carts.
Investigation work here I come LOL
Since it`s now in the open, here`s a composite I did last week; the at-scale DLP version in WDW. I`ve used the existing backstage road and underpass. I also added a showbuilding the size of POTCs main building for a finale - I doubt this`ll happen since they are already going down the cheap route.

Attachments

• Raging WDW.jpg
    Raging WDW.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 429

Montu

Does the TDS version go backwards, or just the one at DLP?

Temple of Peril does *not* go backwards. It did, but it got *so many complaints* at guest relations, and ridership was so low when the ride was reversed that they returned it to running forwards again. The ride is very rough, and a very rough ride is only *rougher* when run backwards, given that you cannot see where you are going to make a feeble attemtp to brace yourself.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Montu; I have to say we both found SM:M2 to be rougher than Temple of Peril. I must also add I`d be happy for this coaster to come to WDW all other things being equal; as I said above it`s a cheap option - but not an the expense of anything else. Personally I want to see a Disney Calibre E Ride on the 20K plot first (remember when they used to have the budget for them?)
BTW; JH wasn`t the first to hear of this, nor was it a recent rumour.

Little tidbit; DLP only got Temple of Peril as a quick fix stop gap over Winter 1992 after the parks first season was way above capacity. They needed an attractive ride for 1993 knowing Space Mountain was at least another 2 years away. It was fast tracked within 10 months of concepts being discussed to opening - even then based on an earlier version mixed with the EMV ride. The MK don`t have this excuse for needing to increase capacity. I wonder what it is??

$$$ perhaps?

Madison

Martin is the only person I've ever seen defending these rides. They're short, rough and offer nothing different than the other coasters around the Florida property. In fact, they offer nothing more than most roller coasters folks will find at their county or state fair. The ride is too short and the restraints too cumbersome to tell any sort of story on the periphery.

I mentioned before and Lee did again in this thread that it's a long way out from the main part of the park if they drop out behind Pirates and, in addition to wasting the space, doesn't offer a lot of incentive to make people walk out that far. Indiana Jones' queue is comparably long, but the journey pays off. Dueling Dragons' queue is similar, but the ride is plainly visible from the main midway and makes no apologies for what it is.

In any case, it's interesting that Paris' ride was built as a quick fix using an off-the-shelf, portable design -- though I'm sure Intamin's copy is not portable -- and Tokyo's ride had a reported budget of US$60M. Can anyone talk about the significant differences between the two rides with respect to structure or theming that warrants the difference? I imagine the structure was changed to accomodate earthquakes, but beyond that, $60M seems ridiculous for what they ended up with.

Lee

Adventurer
Can anyone talk about the significant differences between the two rides with respect to structure or theming that warrants the difference? I imagine the structure was changed to accomodate earthquakes, but beyond that, $60M seems ridiculous for what they ended up with.

That 60mil paid for the site work in addition to the actual ride. Not sure of the total extent (maybe Corrus could help out..)but I do know there are substantial fire and water effects on the Tokyo version that are not present in Paris.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Regarding fx, at TDS I`m only aware of smoke effects during the ride and a waterfall with flames in it thgat flows down the equivalent dry steps in in Paris. DLP has night time flame torches on the paths so had to pay for infrastructure for gas pipes etc.

Both versions were built on land already reserved for expansion (Paris was virtually clear anyway being only less than a year old) so I agree it`s a high price to pay for a bob ride with inversion. How much do these rides go for anyhow? I don`t see say $50m worth of effects at either. I really hope TDS`, as Madison says, took up a large ammount of money for it`s earthquake and typhoon-proofing. Either that or someone cooked the books :D

Madison

How much do these rides go for anyhow?

If you pay more than a couple of million US dollars for the Pinfari ride it's based upon, you're being taken for a ride. :) These are not expensive rides by any reasonable standard.

http://www.italintl.com/category.php?category=Roller Coasters

There are not any Pinfari TL-59s on the site at the moment, but similar rides from the company are going for anywhere between about US$.5M to US$1M used.

kcnole

but that was canned quickly when they found that the locals found *Space Mountain* (clone of Disneyland's) to be considerably intense to the point that many people were passing out when the ride first opened.

What have the Chinese never ridden a roller coaster of any sort before? There's no way this ride could make people pass out could it?

LilRoo714

What have the Chinese never ridden a roller coaster of any sort before? There's no way this ride could make people pass out could it?

I found the statement about people passing out from Space Mountain surprising too. :veryconfu

Is their version a lot faster or enhanced? (I've only been on WDW's)

basas

I really don't like this...

We haven't had an e-ticket since 1992 at MK, we NEED something to help MK stand out again among MK-style parks, and we're told of 'e-tickets that will blow our minds away' that may be coming to MK. Then we're told it's Raging Spirits. I've heard nothing but negative things about either IJ in Paris or RS in Tokyo. And if you look at photos, even the theming isn't all that great- you can clearly see the beams at the loading station,etc.

ogryn

If you pay more than a couple of million US dollars for the Pinfari ride it's based upon, you're being taken for a ride. :) These are not expensive rides by any reasonable standard.

http://www.italintl.com/category.php?category=Roller Coasters

There are not any Pinfari TL-59s on the site at the moment, but similar rides from the company are going for anywhere between about US$.5M to US$1M used.

Thought Indy and Raging Spirits were Intamin rides? Still I wouldn't say more than $12 million dollars. Heck, Thorpe Park got a 10 inversion coaster from Intamin for $20 million dollars!

Edit:
Ah... I see:
http://www.rcdb.com/id957.htm said:
The track layout of the Indiana Jones is copied from the first looping roller coaster built by the Pinfari company. Pinfari called this a TL-59, the TL stands for "The Loop" and the 59 is for the ride's 59m width. This Intamin version copies the course, but uses a track style that is unique to Intamin.
:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom