Why do people hate Stitch's Great Escape?

KevinPage

Enderikari was dead on, and stole some of my thunder :brick:

Anyways, you have to remember a few things:

1 - people who post on message boards are incredibley involved and passioniate about Disney, so you are not going to get "luke warm" reactions. You are generally going to get very heated praise or disdain.

2 - AE was enjoyed by a vocal minority of people who will not accept anything else in it's place

3 - alot of people are kinda "Stitched-out". I loved the movie and the character, but Disney really went overboard promoting him.

4 - the attraction while mildly enjoyable, wasn't a huge improvement over what was there.

Personally I enjoyed parts of AE, but the attraction lost any repeat value for me and I didn't really care that it was replaced. I enjoyed Stitch and was looking forward to a new exeperience. I really didn't like Stitch the first few times I rode it. Seemed like a disjointed mess. But they made some minor tweaks and tightened the story up. I can now say I enjoy the attraction. Not something I'm going to do everytime in the park and not my favortite attraction by a longshot.

I honestly wish they did away with the whole concept of "sitting and watching a show". Put me in a moving vehicle and ANY atttraction adds huge amounts of repeat value for me.

I really liked TimeKeeper, but hey, it's a movie, there's only so many times I can see it without wanting something new. Granted, Monsters is going to be another "show" but at least it sounds like it will have more interactivity and/or repeat value, so bring it on.

psuchad

<---- Liked it. Thought it was very imaginative the way everything was done. Alien Encounter was much better though.

CaptainMichael

Me and about 7 other people had the opportunity to experience it ALONE for the first (and last time) at Grad Nite. None of these people had ever been to WDW, a WDW message board, are not thrill junkies, etc. Needless to say, everyone walked out with a blank, angry stare on their faces because we (I) chose to do that first instead of running to Space Mountain. They got more enjoyment out of the Speedway.

darthjohnny

Original Poster
STR8FAN2005 said:
Me and about 7 other people had the opportunity to experience it ALONE for the first (and last time) at Grad Nite. None of these people had ever been to WDW, a WDW message board, are not thrill junkies, etc. Needless to say, everyone walked out with a blank, angry stare on their faces because we (I) chose to do that first instead of running to Space Mountain. They got more enjoyment out of the Speedway.

Obviously if you bring a bunch of teens that have never been to Disney and don't know the disney magic, they'll think a lot of classics, even like Pirates and Haunted Mansion are a waste of time and money. In response to some posts, I obviously realize that Stitch goes in the dark too. Otherwise the illusions wouldn't work. I'm saying that Stitch goes back to light so we can see again and aren't just sitting in the boring dark the whole time. Also, people complain about the chilli burp, but Disney has other effects like that like the Figment skunk and stink bug smell in It's Tough to be a Bug. Also some of you are taking everything too literal and serious. You are in the Magic Kingdom, away from the real world. Tomorrow land takes you to the distant future and far away planets. You are not supposed to be on Earth. And you are not playing the role as a random human, but an employed guard. In reality, the ride you love, Alien Encounter, treated you as a "random human" when they were showing off there new technology in the convention center. Finally, how can you say this ride is cheap and the imagineers just threw away money. Stitch at the time was in fact the most advanced AA, surpassing Hopper in It's Tough to be a Bug.

CaptainMichael

darthjohnny said:
Obviously if you bring a bunch of teens that have never been to Disney and don't know the disney magic, they'll think a lot of classics, even like Pirates and Haunted Mansion are a waste of time and money.
No, not obviously. They haven't been to Disney, but they are very similar to me, in other words, not your average teenagers. And guess what...we had an absolute blast on IaSW! Attractions should impress newcomers...not depress them.

sbkline

I've never been on Stitch, but isn't it basically the same as Alien Encounter, just with a Stitch theme? We went on Alien Encounter in 2003, and were totally disappointed. The strapped us in and put the shoulder harness on us, so I was waiting for a cool ride to start. I thought the room as going to start spinning really fast or something, but instead, we just sat there and didn't move at all. Totally lame. That's why I hated that ride and why I would probably think it just as lame if I went on the current version.

CaptainMichael

sbkline said:
I've never been on Stitch, but isn't it basically the same as Alien Encounter, just with a Stitch theme?
Basically, with a few changes...not necessarily for the better. I don't particularly care for either version of the attraction.

dxwwf3

KevinPage said:
I honestly wish they did away with the whole concept of "sitting and watching a show". Put me in a moving vehicle and ANY atttraction adds huge amounts of repeat value for me.

They have help for that. Click here

:animwink:

TakeMe2TheMagic

I get that alot of people my not give SGE a chance because they were such fans of AE. There are people that will not ride Pooh because they feel as though they suffered a loss when Mr.Toad was removed. My point is that I do not morn the loss of AE and I still think that SEG.....pretty much sucked. The pre-show( you got to love Skippy) is by far way more entertaining than the attraction it self. Disney attractions are known for there great storylines themeing and details. SEG in my opinion is missing a good storyline, lacking on the themeing and really doesnt give you to many details, all in all I would like to see a Stitch themed ride but SEG just is not it. :animwink:

PigletIsMyCat

I am still upset that I never got to experience AE, because it sounds like it was a sick attraction. That being said, I love Stitch. He is one of my fave 'new' Disney characters, and I like hearing him on the monorails, etc. 'Lilo & Stitch' is a great movie (imho) and I love how it deals with being a family, even if you're parents or other family members aren't around anymore, and about accepting other people into your family. I think the movie has a great message, and is still funny and attractive as many Disney movies are, but I do agree that they seem to be running Stitch into the ground. (Even though I love it!)

Another problem I had with SGE, was being harnessed down. Is it a roller coaster? Did we go upside down? Being a big, beautiful woman who is rather buxom (if you catch my meaning) I thought at times I might suffocate from the harness!!

I still won't ride SGE until they offer a non-chili cheese dog burp section. I'd rather watch Philharmagic another thousand times :)

sbkline

I get that alot of people my not give SGE a chance because they were such fans of AE.

And alot of people, such as myself, don't give SGE a chance because AE sucked and SGE is just a re-do of AE.:animwink:

sbkline

Another problem I had with SGE, was being harnessed down. Is it a roller coaster? Did we go upside down?

On the previous version (alien encounter), the answer was no, which was why I thought it sucked so much. They harnessed us in, making me think there was gonna be some good spinning action or something, and all we did the whole time was just sit there like bumps on a log.

Tim G

There have been many surveys on this... and the funny thing is that the majority of the visitors like Stitch...

The forum members don't... (which is less than 1% of the visitors)

80% of the visitors will visit only once in a life time... So they won't notice the difference anyway... :D :D :D

MY opninion about Stitch? They should have kept A:E...
But again that same majority of the visitors DEMANDED closing or changing into some sweet veeeeeery child friendly show...

And which they did...

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Most you know me well enough to know I don't lament the loss of attractions for new attractions, i'm very much a progressive, and I only whine about pretty murals being torn down.

I thought AE was ok. It scared some people, but it was worth doing once a trip. I wouldn't say "I'm not going on that crap again."

SGE was crap, and I vowed to never go on it again - though I regretfully have - and it's been worse each time. My first ride was shortly after opening and I came out confused and wondering what happened. This was before the added Stitch projections and a small revamp of the dialogue.

It flat out made no sense at first.

Second attempt, brought my sister, she who is not a WDW "fan" but has 4 kids and can appreciate a good attraction. Her reaction: "That was so stupid, but my kids will like it."

Other various interactions with the show have had poor responses. I don't say anything, I just do whatever the eprson i'm showing around wants to do. They ranged from "That was horrible" to "That was a complete waste of time, why didn't you warn me?"

And the lines... Alien held a line most days. SGE does not. It shuts down FP more often then not because no one uses it, and typically the show is a walk in.

And those kids, my sister's kids.. they didn't like it. The youngest found it scary, the two boys in the middle thought the chili dog was cool but otherwise were bored, and the oldest girl flat out said it was stupid.

We exitted, bought no stitch merch, and moved on with our lives. I think my total tally of "people who said they'd never do it again" is roughly 20 or 30. I don't know anyone who came off saying they liked it.

Even a friend of mine who hated AE said stitch was boring. The only attraction I know of that people were against was M:S, and since Green opened they're ok with M:S.

Timmay

AE was a very average attraction...plain and simple. I was looking forward to SGE and found it also to be average. Nothing really good or bad about it. I just figured more effort would be put forth. It is only a "quick fix" to a very over rated attraction.

Most people hate SGE for one of two reasons:

1: It replaced their beloved AE
2: People hate stitch

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Corrus said:
There have been many surveys on this... and the funny thing is that the majority of the visitors like Stitch...

The forum members don't... (which is less than 1% of the visitors)

80% of the visitors will visit only once in a life time... So they won't notice the difference anyway... :D :D :D

MY opninion about Stitch? They should have kept A:E...
But again that same majority of the visitors DEMANDED closing or changing into some sweet veeeeeery child friendly show...

And which they did...

Survey people will not approach disgruntled guests. This is horribly true, and having worked against Disney data collection to prove a real problem was existing when statistics said they weren't (it was an operation change that was needed), I don't think those people are above lying to make whatever point they want to.

dxwwf3

mousermerf said:
Most you know me well enough to know I don't lament the loss of attractions for new attractions, i'm very much a progressive, and I only whine about pretty murals being torn down.

I thought AE was ok. It scared some people, but it was worth doing once a trip. I wouldn't say "I'm not going on that crap again."

SGE was crap, and I vowed to never go on it again - though I regretfully have - and it's been worse each time. My first ride was shortly after opening and I came out confused and wondering what happened. This was before the added Stitch projections and a small revamp of the dialogue.

It flat out made no sense at first.

Second attempt, brought my sister, she who is not a WDW "fan" but has 4 kids and can appreciate a good attraction. Her reaction: "That was so stupid, but my kids will like it."

Other various interactions with the show have had poor responses. I don't say anything, I just do whatever the eprson i'm showing around wants to do. They ranged from "That was horrible" to "That was a complete waste of time, why didn't you warn me?"

And the lines... Alien held a line most days. SGE does not. It shuts down FP more often then not because no one uses it, and typically the show is a walk in.

And those kids, my sister's kids.. they didn't like it. The youngest found it scary, the two boys in the middle thought the chili dog was cool but otherwise were bored, and the oldest girl flat out said it was stupid.

We exitted, bought no stitch merch, and moved on with our lives. I think my total tally of "people who said they'd never do it again" is roughly 20 or 30. I don't know anyone who came off saying they liked it.

Even a friend of mine who hated AE said stitch was boring. The only attraction I know of that people were against was M:S, and since Green opened they're ok with M:S.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It seems some can't get passed my avatar to see the points made in your post are true.

Tim G

mousermerf said:
Survey people will not approach disgruntled guests. This is horribly true, and having worked against Disney data collection to prove a real problem was existing when statistics said they weren't (it was an operation change that was needed), I don't think those people are above lying to make whatever point they want to.

Like I wrote... most of the Forum members hate the new ride...

And alas, they're not a majority of visitors of the park...

mousermerf

Account Suspended
And my personal experience with non-forum people and with seeing the lines says otherwise...

Awful lot of Stitch merch not moving on those shelves..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom