Space Mountain question

The Mak

abian said:
there is a big drop in DL's space mountain. Mk has some few drops but overall is incredibly lame compare to DL's.

WDW's last drop has fun little pop of airtime.

I'm a big thrill coaster enthusiast, I've been on the tallest and the fastest in the world. But when I'm on WDW's Space Mountain I laugh uncontrollably throughout the entire gravity controlled portion of the course. I think of it as a really fun ride with little force and a lot of imagination.

bassman

i really want the same updates to come to WDW's space mountain.
i dont mean side-by-side seating,i mean the nice blue neon,flash metallic silver interior.
i think that there is pics on the DL website, so that you can see what i mean.
i also would like it to be darker and have a sound track.
basically everything that DL's space mountain got minus the changing the cars to have side-by-side seating.

CaptainMichael

Lee said:
Oh, I forgot to mention...there is a proposal in place to refurb WDW's Space Mountain, however it has not gotten past the proposal stage. It's not greenlit yet.

Lee said:
Depends on which proposal they accept, if any.
Could be from a refreshment to a complete re-imagining.
I hope for the second, since I think WDW's ride is a total, craptacular embarassment to the name Space Mountain.
hmmmm...Perhaps we should all send a green lightbulb to to Disney with the message "WDW Space Mountain Re-Imagining...:drevil:

M:SpilotISTC12

I think they should redo the WDW. They should make it one track. Make it longer. And a bit more steeper and bigger drops. I could wait a year and a half for a new version it wouldnt bother me.

Lee

Adventurer
Lewis Carroll said:
I have heard a rumor that Space Mountain was supposed to be greenlit soon but they approved a major Jungle Cruise revamp instead. Is there any truth to that?
I haven't heard of a "major revamp" to JC..just the potential addition of the new effects from the Disneyland ride.

Rockin Roller

I want them to change space mountain for many reasons. First its a GREAT ride but througout the ride I see a bunch of tracks all around me so.....it needs to be darker......also more planets and stuff and cool effects

PurpleDragon

Rockin Roller said:
I want them to change space mountain for many reasons. First its a GREAT ride but througout the ride I see a bunch of tracks all around me so.....it needs to be darker......also more planets and stuff and cool effects

Yeah my biggest problem with SM in WDW is the extensive light pollution. No matter where you are you can see the track, it ruins the effect and makes it less fun. I think SM is in definate need of refurbishment to bring it into this century. Its a great ride, but its age is definately showing these days.

PhilharMagician

Lee said:
I haven't heard of a "major revamp" to JC..just the potential addition of the new effects from the Disneyland ride.

Lee, I hope you right. I know you have been all for a total gutting, but what would you personally like to see with a refurb.

I hope that the dual loading zone and both tracks stay along with the single wide seating. I love the single seating it just makes the ride. A LIM launch would be nice if the track could be configured to handle the initial launch. The launch would not have to be like RNRC to 60 MPH but maybe just to 35 - 40 so not to eliminate all of the children or others that do not want the extreme speed. For me when I think of space travel I think of G-forces pulling me not the clanking of a chain lift.

csaribay

Technicalities aside, I can't see a refurb anytime soon, at least until the Laughing Floor is installed and taking audiences. SM is Tomorrowland's primary anchor- without it, crowd distribution is wonky at best.

raven

abian said:
there is a big drop in DL's space mountain. Mk has some few drops but overall is incredibly lame compare to DL's.
Really? If so than I never felt it the many times I rode it back in February. I only remember there beeing WAY TOO MANY RIGHT TURNS though. So many that it hurt your neck over and over again. I am a huge coaster fanatic and still think the MK version is the best of the mountains. :wave:

crlachepinochet

About the light pollution in SM... on my last trip in January, I suddenly became very aware that I could see a lot of the track and such. When I rode later that day, I looked up and at the star and planet effects and it was a really great time! I didn't notice the tracks and I didn't know what was going to happen next!

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
raven said:
Really? If so than I never felt it the many times I rode it back in February. I only remember there beeing WAY TOO MANY RIGHT TURNS though. So many that it hurt your neck over and over again. I am a huge coaster fanatic and still think the MK version is the best of the mountains. :wave:

It's after one of the many right turns. You travel straight for a second or two and then take a tremendous dip. It always causes a few screams. Don't know how you could have missed it.

Damien666

If WDW SM was to get a refurb, I would put in new track, but not change the layout.

I find the layout way better then DL's, there are not enough drops in DL's IMO.

brertigger

It would be nice if they do rip out the track and replace it, if they replace it with the EE style lifts (the ones that are quick and silent).

Baums101

JaSnake16 said:
Hey everyone. I just got back from Disneyland and rode their version of Space Mountain which has been recently refurbed. All I can say is :sohappy: WOW. The rockets 3 trains with 2 rows containing 2 seats. Each seat has speakers behind them ala Rock and Roller Coaster pumping a futuristic soundtrack which kind of reminded me of the Incredibles theme that plays in sinc to whats going on with the ride (ex. begins a buildup as your being pulled up the chain). It is so completely pitch black that you cant see anything but the stars and boy is this ride smooth.

Anyone know if they are gonna do a similar refurb to Orlando? I was in Orlando in December and while it is still an all time classic it, IMO, pales in comparison to the one in Anaheim.
You never know. But I'm thinking it is in the mist of a refurb for space mountain.

8<:-)

brertigger said:
It would be nice if they do rip out the track and replace it, if they replace it with the EE style lifts (the ones that are quick and silent).

Space mountain down 2 years = :cry:

Rob562

brertigger said:

Actually, making the lifts silent wouldn't be a HUGE undertaking, assuming that structurally the cars could handle the system.
The clanking is actually the anti-rollback safety system on the trains. Space Mountain (at least the Florida version) has the most basic system, whereby an arm (called a dog) hangs down underneath the car pointing towards the rear. It's spring-loaded so that it can be pushed upward and then snap back downward. As the car is pulled up the lift, this arm comes in contact with a set of jagged "teeth". Each tooth pushes the arm up, and then it falls back down. Should the lift stop or the chain break, the car would only roll back the distance of one individual tooth (about 6") before the anti-rollback dog catches in the teeth. This, of course, creates the clanking as the car goes up the lifthill. (And in a few other places where there are teeth along the track in case the car doesn't have enough energy to crest a hill).

The Everest system uses a silent anti-rollback design. I don't know the full specifics of the design, but at regular lifthill speed, the arm is held up out of the way of the teeth on the track. If the car stops or starts to roll backwards, the arm drops down to engage the teeth. That's why you still hear a little bit of clunking at the bottom and top of the Everest lift hills, because the train is going either slower or faster than the "equilibrium" lift hill speed that it was designed for.

There's a similar system on the hyper coasters designed by Intamin, like the Superman Ride of Steel at my local Six Flags park. It has a silent lift hill except for the very bottom and top. There were a few months on season that the lift hill was running slow for some reason, and it wasn't fast enough to keep the rollback dog up and it clanked REALLY loudly...

Assuming that the Space Mountain cars and track could support such a system, it could probably be retrofitted during a closure lasting a month or two.

But realistically, I very much doubt they'd go to that expense.

And for those that want the light polution within Florida's Space Mountain to be fixed, what Disney needs to do is re-install the roof over the lifthill. That's the big source of the light spill. they removed the roof during a refurb back in the 90's.

-Rob

brertigger

Rob562, Thank you for your explanation about the different types of lift systems. It was very interesting. It is amazing how a fairly simple system can work so well.

Rob562 said:
Should the lift stop or the chain break, the car would only roll back the distance of one individual tooth (about 6") before the anti-rollback dog catches in the teeth.

^It is interesting to experience this part first hand. I was on the ride once when it E-stopped, as the rocket was going up the main lift hill. It did roll back about the 6" or so, like you said. This did frighten some of the firsttime riders in the rocket, but I thought it was cool to observe the system in action.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom