Planning an itinerary for a 1st timer...

jozzmenia

Original Poster
OK, I was in the "am I too old for Disney thread" and it made me think about planning the perfect trip. We're coming down around Labor Day weekend for 6 nights. My boyfriend came to Orlando for the 1st time over Memorial Day with me. I had been alot, but he had never been to Orlando. Since it was just a long weekend, and we knew we were coming back (we won a free trip w/airfare) we decided not to rush Disney. (I told him he could work up to it and start at Universal :lol: ) Anyway, he had always been reluctant to even go to Orlando b/c he heard it was pricey and for kids. So I pretty much had to drag him kicking and screaming. :D I planned little extras, like a towncar to and from the airport, front of the line passes at Universal, etc., to make it more fun and special. I was worried he wouldn't love it like I did.

Needless to say he LOVED the entire trip and everything about it. He wants to move to Orlando now and I think he would marry the Spiderman ride if he could :lol: I couldn't have asked for the trip to go more perfectly. I felt like a parent taking their kid on a vacation, trying to show him all I could on a 3 night trip (way too short :cry: )

So now we're going back for 6 nights (8/30/06 to 9/5/06) so we can do more things. That's only 4 FULL days, we're getting in at 10pm the first night (we can go to CityWalk for delicious Margaritas at Margaritaville :slurp: ) and we're leaving at 5pm on the last day. We're planning on one day at Universal since we have the annual pass, and the rest for Disney.

OK, my question is, what would be the best way to spend our time. I am thinking 2 day hopper passes and 1 day at a waterpark, and maybe Disneyuest on the last day???... He is big on thrill rides, which is why he is a skeptic about Disney and as I said in another thread, someone told him Disney just had kiddie rides:fork: so they don't go there anymore. Plus he was telling me he thinks we can skip the Magic Kingdom b/c someone told him the just had the castle and rides like tea cups and Dumbo but no thrill rides :brick: I set him straight though :cool:

So anyway, what would be a good agenda for a 29 year old 1st timer Disney skeptic who loves thrill rides? I'm not to picky myself, I have a few restaurants that I want to try. But generally I am just in a euphoric state wherever I am in Orlando and am content with every park. I'm more wanting to make sure HE has a really good time on this trip. I'm not interested in the Dining plan though, only because I discovered that both of us prefer impromptu spontaneous dining rather than being on a schedule with reservations and things b/c I find that we're hungry at different times (i.e. it sucks to have a noon lunch reservation and you're still full from breakfast or a 5:30 dinner reservation when u didn't get to lunch until 2:30). I guess I learned b/c we got Universal's crappy so called "dining plan" :rolleyes: and we didn't have enough room in our stomachs for more than 2 meals and would have been fine with just ONE late lunch in the park, then a late dinner elsewhere after park closing since we had free breakfast at the hotel and it filled us up.

OK so anyway, that's why I don't want a dining plan, we will maybe make ONE or TWO reservations but the rest we will just eat when we get hungry.

OK, any input on suggested iteneraries and must see attractions and shows will be greatly appreciated! :)

ALSO, I haven't been in years, so it will be special for me too!

bferrara16

Since he loves thrill rides, you must go to MGM... RNRC & Tower of Terror. I'd go there first so that you can ease him into the "disney experience" but still have the thrill rides right there to keep him happy. I'd also see Fantasmic to wrap up the night because its a must see that I think anyone could enjoy. Good luck and have fun!

Disney-holic

You could "plan" on park hopping, doing just thrill rides. Then, when you get to each park, after doing that park's thrill rides, suggest that, "since we are already here, why don't we try _______________ ride?" When you are in the MK, just stay away from Fantasyland!! :animwink: Here's hoping you can convert him.

yazmin182

Since you're going in August, aren't you getting the dining plan for FREE?? The dining plan is great!! Definitely reconsider on that part!
I have no more tips! lol

have a great trip

GhostHost1989

ok here is the thing he may think that they are kiddie rides but the thing is disney does it like no other all rides are pretty much stories that you ride and im sure that he will come to really enjoy them cause I am a teenager and when I first went it was the same for me but after a few "kiddie" rides I was hooked to the stories that they told and it is amazing

coltow

Where are you going to be staying, on property? If so take full advantage of extra hours. They'll help to see more in the limited amount of time that you'll have. If I were only there for 2 days, on 1 day I'd rush to Animal Kingdom for Everest, and the Safari, you BF will probably also like Dinosaur. Then go to EPCOT for Mission Space and Soarin. Get Fast pass for Soarin and wait in line for Mission Space and you might want to try Test Trak too. Hopefully now it's late afternoon, then go to MGM for ToT and RnRc. If there's time before Fantasmic hit Star Wars and Muppets (not a thrill ride but very cute). The 2nd day save for Magic Kingdom and you'll have the chance if needed to hop to another park for anything else you want to do.

The down side about trying to rush through the parks is that yu don't have much time to "take it all in" you will probably find yourself rushing between attractions and not get a chance to sit, relax and just look around.

I think I'd skip the water park and plan another theme park day.

jozzmenia

Original Poster
I think we're staying at Comfort Inn Calypso Cay. Seemed like the best VALUE. We're staying 6 nights plus airfare and it's only $280 per person. It would be more than twice that to stay onsite. We're working our way up to that :)

I won't rush through the parks though. I would rather miss a few rides than to feel rushed. We know we'll be back because we're paying for this trip but we also have a free trip to use. We did the same thing at Universal, we didn't ride ET or Back to the Future or see any of the shows, but we had good time. I'm more interested in letting him have a special trip to Disneyworld, than in having him see everything. He has looked into it a LITTLE bit and he wants to ride Mission Space and Test Track and he also wants to go to Animal Kingdom. I just don't see myself skipping a park though. I don't know which park I would skip. He wants to skip Magic Kingdom (yeah right like that's happening :rolleyes:) If we DO get a 2-day pass rather than a 3-day pass, I'm thinking a 1/2 day at one park, lunch, 1/2 day at a different park, rinse and repeat :D. Maybe we will get a 3 day pass so we won't feel so rushed. I think he would love Blizzard Beach though. He wanted to do Summet Plummet (which I am TERRIFIED of :lookaroun) and he loved how the park looked. So I don't know; still workin on the itinerary obviously...

I don't think of ANY of the parks as 1/2 day parks, but if I had to pick on a 3 day pass, I would think full day at Magic Kingdom, full day at Epcot, and a split day between Animal Kingdom and MGM.

Man this is tough!

jozzmenia

Original Poster
bferrara16 said:
Since he loves thrill rides, you must go to MGM... RNRC & Tower of Terror. I'd go there first so that you can ease him into the "disney experience" but still have the thrill rides right there to keep him happy. I'd also see Fantasmic to wrap up the night because its a must see that I think anyone could enjoy. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks! I'm really big on "working him up to things". Like in Universal, we went to Universal Studios and rode Twister, then Earthquake, then Jaws, then Mummy...Each ride was like "WOW!" and he didn't think it could get any better, and I wouldn't let him go to IOA until Day 2 and he LOVED it it was like things kept getting better and better. (and i didn't let him ride Spiderman 1st, the line was long and he didn't know I had gotten front of the line passes tha day and he really wanted to ride. It was like an hour and a hald wait, and we went to get some food first. I told him I was dreading that line and he said let's go ahead and get in it, then when we got there I whipped out those passes and we got on in like 3 minutes and he was sooo happy :D) So I like to do things like that. So I'm trying to gage what park he'll like better and we can work up to that one. I don't know if it's better to work up to a park where he'll love the ambiance like MK, or work up to one where he'll like the rides, like Epcot or MGM...Uh oh, he'll be expecting front of the line passes now :lookaroun :lol:

Decisions decisions!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Generally I would say not to plan too much. Give him a nice taste and like your last trip, leave him wanting for more. Because it is summer, try to get to the parks at opening, so that you can get to "his kind of rides" without long lines...also, remember to USE FASTPASS!

I would do a three day park hopper (depending on what your finances are, look at getting a 10 day park hopper with no expiration). It will be cheaper in the long run when you return.

Look at planning some dining experiences as well as park attractions.

Consider the following:

At MGM
Hit Tower of Terror and RnRC first (possibly FP one, ride the other). Plan on a time and get FP for Lights Motor and Indiana Jones if you have time. If not, save them for next time. Star Tours would be a good choice as well. Look at SciFi Drive-in for lunch or 50's Prime Time Cafe for dinner (both will need reservations).

At AK
Expedition Everest of course, Dinosaur, Safari and possibly Kali River Rapids.

For MK, go left to Splash Mtn and Big Thunder first, then over to Space Mtn. He would also enjoy Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean. Possibly Jungle Cruise.

Epcot
Go first to Soarin', then across to FP Test Track and do Mission Space. Dining is great here, consider Le Cellier at Canada, Chefs de France, but all countries have nice dining depending on your personal preferences.

There is also great dining at many of the hotels, Boardwalk area and DTD.

Oh, you mentioned DisneyQuest....don't do it! It's expensive and rather run down. Not your best value right now.

For water parks, both are good. Summit Plummet is impressive, but the Crush and Gusher water coasters at Typhoon Lagoon is also a great time.

check out the following for menu's to help with dining planning:
http://www.allearsnet.com/din/dining.htm

You may also want to consider getting a planning guide...like Birnbaums or the Unofficial guide and have him plan out some things.

Good luck

BG Rugger

He wants to skip Magic Kingdom because he wants thrill rides? Hello!!!! Space Mountain?!?! Big Thunder Mountain?!?! Splash Mountain?!?! Mountain Trifecta?!?! The infamous Disney Mountain Range?!?! Girl, you better educate him!! LOL:)

4friends4ever

I know exactly what you mean. My boyfriend was 40 at the time, never been to an amusement park. He didn't understand my fasination with Disney. He said he would go, if we went first class.

So I booked us rooms at the Grand Floridian, made reservations at the best restaurants at we went to Disney.

He gets on the Tower of Terror, first ride, OH MY GOD, he is in love with Disney. He gets off the ride, gets outdoors, starts jumping up and down with arms waving, yelling again, again. Fortunately for us it was a slow time, so we'd run around to the front and jump on the next run down. We'd do this 4 or 5 times than go to the next attraction and quess what. He'd love that ride also. He'd put on the same little show.

It was the best time I ever had at Disney. Now I don't even ask him if he wants to take a vacation. I go to the travel agency, book everything and come home and tell him to take time off at work. He doesn't mind. He loves the surprise.

Hope you have a wonderful time. I know we always do.

jozzmenia

Original Poster
BG Rugger said:
He wants to skip Magic Kingdom because he wants thrill rides? Hello!!!! Space Mountain?!?! Big Thunder Mountain?!?! Splash Mountain?!?! Mountain Trifecta?!?! The infamous Disney Mountain Range?!?! Girl, you better educate him!! LOL:)

I know! That's the 1st thing I said, the 3 mountains - Big Thunder, Splash, and Space! Then I mentioned haunted mansion, pirates, and jungle cruise. I told him I MIGHT make him go on it's a small world for nostalgia purposes :D

at 1st i thought "mountain trifecta" was a new ride i hadnt heard about :p :hammer::lol:

jozzmenia

Original Poster
OK, now I'm officially an idiot. :eek: I don't know where on earth I got that 6 nights was only 4 FULL days :hammer:That's FIVE full days! WOOHOO! :sohappy: Could have been worse - I could have thought I had FIVE days when I only had FOUR! This is a GREAT mistake! I'm happy now! That will be so AWESOME! Maybe we can do tehe 3 day hopper AND a waterpark...or should we do the 4 day hopper?...

MORE DECISIONS! :brick: BUT I LOVE IT! :D

mayoki

I would look at the "magic hours" days for each park, and avoid them like the plague. I have been to several parks on the day of the "magic hours" and it is a nightmare in terms of crowds. I was at MK Friday night, which was open til 2am and it was way to crowded all day. It has been the same for the other parks.

Also, I would recommend walking(yes walking) from MGM to Epcot. There is a great path that is about a 10 minute walk to Boardwalk, stop and have an adult beverage, then another 10 minutes to the back gate of Epcot.

goofntink

Skip UA and concentrate on Walt Disney World.If you have Annual to UA use them another time.You getting into peak season and you will need the time for Disney.Skip Disneyquest,in my opinion not worth the money,just concentrate on the parks...trust us locals.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
mayoki said:
I would look at the "magic hours" days for each park, and avoid them like the plague. I have been to several parks on the day of the "magic hours" and it is a nightmare in terms of crowds. I was at MK Friday night, which was open til 2am and it was way to crowded all day. It has been the same for the other parks.

Also, I would recommend walking(yes walking) from MGM to Epcot. There is a great path that is about a 10 minute walk to Boardwalk, stop and have an adult beverage, then another 10 minutes to the back gate of Epcot.

I agree with evening EMH, but most people aren't able to get up in the mornings, so morning EMH are still useful IMHO. Even if you get there 15-30 min after the EMH opening, you can walk on most, plus the next two or so hours you really don't have the crowds, even on the busiest days.

jozzmenia

Original Poster
mayoki said:

Wow u guys are great :)

See these are the kinds of little tips that I love. I like to plan special trips. I don't really want to be running around rushing to everything. I want it to be special, not hastened, u know>? I think that's a cool suggestion b/c we like adult beverages, and we like wandering around. :D

Thanks!

jozzmenia

Original Poster
goofntink said:
Skip UA and concentrate on Walt Disney World.If you have Annual to UA use them another time.You getting into peak season and you will need the time for Disney.Skip Disneyquest,in my opinion not worth the money,just concentrate on the parks...trust us locals.

Well, we're definitely going to Universal. We have the annual passes AND we both love it. What I'm planning is to go on one of the busier days and just get front of the line passes. Our trip is Labor Day, 8/30 to 9/5, Wednesday through Monday, and I am thinking the busiest days will be Saturday and Sunday. So I want to spend one of those busy days at Universal and just get the front of the line passes again. I just don't think it's AS enjoyable when it's SUPER crowded with long lines b/c it's hot and people can get a little "testy" :lookaroun. U know how it is when you're in line for more than an hour and it's almost 100 degrees and you're tired...:dazzle:

Anyway, I am thinking that we can spend Thursday, Friday, and Monday at Disney parks and it won't be too bad. Also, Friday OR Saturday for part of the day, or else spend part of one of those days just hanging out, relaxing, or more than likely swimming at the hotel.

Here's what I'm thinking for an itenerary so far:

Wednesday: Arrive in Orlando around 10pm. Grab a bite to eat and walk around. Maybe hit a club.

Thursday: Disney park early. Stay all day at the parks.

Friday: All day at Disney. Night at Pleasure Island. :D

Saturday: All day at Universal with front of the line passes. Nighttime at CityWalk. :animwink:

Sunday: Relax, maybe see a movie, go to church, swim, have a nice dinner out, etc. Maybe even drive to a beach or museum... Most importantly, SLEEP IN! (the parks can be draining that's for sure). :snore:

Monday: Back to Disney!

Tuesday: Eat a great breakfast, swim, say bye to Orlando at 5pm :cry:

I don't know if we're getting hopper passes EACH day or 1 day, or what. We haven't gotten the tix yet. We're still deciding what to do. I want to make sure we spend at least SOME time at each of the 4 parks. I just can;t say with certainty where we'll want to spend the MOST time. That's the tough part. Same with dining. So much to choose from, and I hate planning out meals on vacation - I just like to go when I'm hungry! Oh well, any more tips?

Thanks guys!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom