Things Walt wouldn't have approved of

NadieMasK2

Original Poster
I find myself wondering this all the time. Every time something new comes along, I wonder if it would have fit into Walt's vision of his parks. Some things I have thought about that are questionable, of course we can never know, but are Dinoland USA, DCA Paradise Pier, and pulling the real animators out of the parks. I think he would be proud of Everest, though.

What do you all think?

Nut4Disney

I think he's probably spinning in his grave over Chester n' Hesters area at AK.

I also think that he would find that alot of things at WDW are ridiculously overpriced.

E:E@AK

NadieMasK2 said:
I find myself wondering this all the time. Every time something new comes along, I wonder if it would have fit into Walt's vision of his parks. Some things I have thought about that are questionable, of course we can never know, but are Dinoland USA, DCA Paradise Pier, and pulling the real animators out of the parks. I think he would be proud of Everest, though.

What do you all think?

I don't get why so many people dislike Dinoland, the other half of it isn't themed like a cheap carnival. I think Dinosaur is a great ride. But anyways, I don't think he would like SGE.

NadieMasK2

Original Poster
E:E@AK said:
I don't get why so many people dislike Dinoland, the other half of it isn't themed like a cheap carnival. I think Dinosaur is a great ride. But anyways, I don't think he would like SGE.

I suppose I should have been more specific. It's really the Chester & Hester's area that I don't think fits the park. I agree, Dinosaur is a great ride, if it weren't for it I would never go to that area at all.

MartyMouse

I too like the whole Chester and Hester Dinoland at AK!
But Walt wouldn’t be happy with the Walt Disney World Resort at all, it’s nothing like what wanted it to be. If Walt had his way WED Enterprises would be planning communities all over the world now. The Disney Company would be so much more than an entertainment company by now, but the fears of failure (something Walt didn’t have) created EPCOT Center instead of EPCOT the city.

Because of this cigarettes should be illegal, if lung cancer hadn’t killed Walt who knows how much better our world could have been.

mayoki

He would hate the CM's walking in the open to their roles, even lugging supplies in AK. I can't tell you how many times I've seen CM's pulling carts of ice, drinks, etc through the park. Very un-Walt.

Also, he would not like that the transportation & ticket center does not offer monorail service to all the parks.

In my opinion, of course.

FrumiousBoojum

I just don't speculate on the What Would Walt Do? angle. If you've read anything about Walt, you know that whenever somebody thought they knew what Walt would do, he'd prove them wrong. After all, that's how Small World came into being -- somebody turned down Pepsi because they didn't think Walt would want to add another attraction to the heavy lineup. Walt found out and agreed to do it in order to show them that we don't know what Walt would do.

Would Walt do DCA? Probably -- after all, he's the one that had some research done for a "California Living" second gate to DL. And that's one thing that people keep saying Walt would never do.

So, one thing Walt wouldn't have approved of -- people speculating on what he would approve.

The "cheapness" of some of the recent additions...
1. The carnival portion of Dinoland
2. Gutting of Tomorrowland and the transformation into Pixarland or Fantsyland East
3. The "new" Tiki Room
4. Toontown Fair
5. Letting EPCOT crumble before doing something about it
6. Glut of meet and greets...especially in the MK
7. Loss of originality...too many clones of rides from other parks and too much effort into everything having to have a movie tie-in
8. Booze at WDW
9. Replacing classic rides with crap like Pooh's Playful Spot and Alien Encounter/Stitch
10. And last but not least...not letting a new generation experience "Song of the South" because of some political correctness fear crap!

Club 33 was private and I guess he didn't have much control over what went on outside of the parks...booze in the parks takes away from the family atmosphere and I don't think that's what Walt had in mind when he created Disneyland. Club 33 is a private club not open to the public and opened a year after Walt's death. Membership is exclusive and costs thousands each year after years on a waiting list.

No alcohol was served to the public at Disneyland at the time of Walt's death. I think he meant for it to be that way.

peter11435

bigcarolina77 said:
Club 33 was private and I guess he didn't have much control over what went on outside of the parks...booze in the parks takes away from the family atmosphere and I don't think that's what Walt had in mind when he created Disneyland. Club 33 is a private club not open to the public and opened a year after Walt's death. Membership is exclusive and costs thousands each year after years on a waiting list.

No alcohol was served to the public at Disneyland at the time of Walt's death. I think he meant for it to be that way.
When I said outside the park I was reffering to the Disneyland Hotel. As for Club 33 while you are correct that it opened after Walts death, he was very much a part of its development. In other words Walt did approve of Club 33.

Bravesfn1

bigcarolina77 said:

I think serving alcohol at the other WDW Parks (besides the MK) was a great decision because that brings in a lot of $$$.

peter11435 said:
When I said outside the park I was reffering to the Disneyland Hotel. As for Club 33 while you are correct that it opened after Walts death, he was very much a part of its development. In other words Walt did approve of Club 33.

You missed the point I was making..it was and still is a private club. You or I couldn't just stroll in get a cold one and then stroll back out and go ride something. I think Walt was very careful to not have public alcohol sales in his park.

wannab@dis

Who knows what Walt would or wouldn't approve of... He's died years ago.

If he was still alive, there's no telling what today's business world would require him to think or how to act. This stereotypical "what would walt do" stuff is nonsense. It was only valid WHILE he was alive and his views were being shaped by current events. It has no meaning today and shouldn't be a requisite.

Bravesfn1 said:
I think serving alcohol at the other WDW Parks (besides the MK) was a great decision because that brings in a lot of $$$.

'Nuff said...the whole Eisner mentality would make Walt sick. Sacrifice everything for the almighty dollar.

wannab@dis

bigcarolina77 said:
You missed the point I was making..it was and still is a private club. You or I couldn't just stroll in get a cold one and then stroll back out and go ride something. I think Walt was very careful to not have public alcohol sales in his park.
Times change... and his views would have changed with them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom